• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Burnout Legends DS screens from IGN

CloudNL

zooL said:
This thread is worthless without sparks.

Teh DS sparks!
sparksDS.JPG

DS Sparks :lol :lol

It looks good. If it used N-Wifi I'd buy it... I may buy it anyway if its substantially different enough.

Things developers should look to incorporate to validate a DS port of traditional games:

* Single Cart Multiplayer
* Unique content that may or may not use the unique interface 2ndScreen/stylus/microphone

ORRR... just put out the game on a totally different pricing tier.

AB 101

Banned
Curious to see what the frame rate is like.

But I am getting Legends for the PSP.

PSP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DS version

pulsemyne

Bearing in mind one thing, most DS games tend to hover around the 60 fps mark. If 60fps is Burnouts framerate on the DS then it's better than the PSP's 30 fps. :)
Seriously though guys why the bitching? Your getting burnout on the PSP and the DS. Thats better than not having it on the DS at all. If people want all the extra stuff and better graphics then the PSP is the one to get but if your on a budget then or are a harcore nintendo fan then if the DS version is okay then get that. Just be thankful your getting Burnout on the go!

AB 101

Banned
Well, I would imagine the PSP could pull off 60 fps with DS image quality. ;)

But okay, it does look good for a DS game.

DS owners will be happy for sure.

Looks really good for a 3rd party racing game on the DS! Especially cause DS games tend to look much better in motion than on screenshots.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Deku said:
How did they pull off motion blur on the DS hardware?
The blur present in those shots is of the most basic variety. Both PSX and N64 were quite capable of displaying that effect as well. Many PSX and N64 games made heavy use of it as well.

The blur actually seen in Burnout 3 and Revenge is on an entirely different level.

Tony HoTT

Banned
I'm sure it will be playable and presented at a decent framerate when all is said and done. I guess this is for those who really don't want a PSP but want a decent racer regardless of the graphics.

Deku

Banned
dark10x said:
The blur present in those shots is of the most basic variety. Both PSX and N64 were quite capable of displaying that effect as well. Many PSX and N64 games made heavy use of it as well.

The blur actually seen in Burnout 3 and Revenge is on an entirely different level.

But it works.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Deku said:
But it works.
Err, yeah, of course it works. You wondered how it was possible, and I was telling you. It's a simple trick that any ultra basic 3D hardware should be able to do.

There are so many different possible methods for creating motion blur and the quality varies heavily. You can't refer to "motion blur" in the generic sense.

Argyle

Andy787 said:
Yes, I know what it means, and I know what context is. You don't get my point. Black still looks good. It doesn't matter if it is on the Xbox 360 or on the Commodore 64. Whatever machine produced Black, Black still looks good. Competing against other 360 games is what would make Black unacceptable if it were on the 360, not that Black doesn't look good (And just to poke a little fun, Gun and THAW say hi. :)). If you can't say Burnout looks good without the "for the DS" at the end, does it actually look good? That's the point.

Where have you been? That's why everyone who bags on the DS hardware...bags on the DS hardware. It can do 3D well enough that developers will use it but not well enough to make it look good - kind of a lousy combination, if you ask me.

I think there's a reason why the best games on the system aren't heavy 3D games.

Dante

1. It looks like crap.

2. I would never buy a game like this for the DS, The DS is an origional platform that benefits from origional titles that take full advatage of it's features.( meteos, Nitendogs, Advance Wars, kirby, etc...) Not this crap.

It looks ok. If the developer puts half the effort they could make something worthwhile. What's up with the useless second screen? Burnout is all about over the top action and pizzaz. Have the second screen show the mayhem left behind after you crash into stuff. I wanna see cars flying and tumbling in a ball of fire after me. That would be cool.

pdk27

If it PLAYS like Burnout and has exclusive content then I don't care how it looks. Burnout is Burnout regardless of how it looks.

Tony HoTT said:
I'm sure it will be playable and presented at a decent framerate when all is said and done. I guess this is for those who really don't want a PSP but want a decent racer regardless of the graphics.
I wonder. Racers haven't traditionally been huge handheld genres, but certainly on the PSP that looks to change. NFS and RR both tanked on the DS, but Asphalt: Urban GT did decent.

ejdonk

I dont get the people who have to make EVERY ds thread a "ds vs psp, lolz look aT teh $hitty ds graph!cs, lolz!" thread.. I wish I had that much freetime. :(

bummyhead

I think it looks great, especially when you consider that these are fuzzy captures to being with, and overcompressed. Can't wait to see a video, it is really pointless to judge DS games from still most of the time, as it doesn't tell even half of the story.

I'll buy this in a second, because Burnout is awesome.

As for people complaiing about how the second screen is used. Shut up already. Not every got damn game has to use every god damn feature of the DS. I mean really. And I persoanlly think moving the map and all the junk off the main screen is a good thing anyway.

bummyhead said:
I think it looks great, especially when you consider that these are fuzzy captures to being with, and overcompressed. Can't wait to see a video, it is really pointless to judge DS games from still most of the time, as it doesn't tell even half of the story.

I'll buy this in a second, because Burnout is awesome.

As for people complaiing about how the second screen is used. Shut up already. Not every got damn game has to use every god damn feature of the DS. I mean really. And I persoanlly think moving the map and all the junk off the main screen is a good thing anyway.

The blurry is probably hiding a lot of flaws, though. We'll see.

the car model in that crash/closeup screen looks terrible, easily worse than most PSone racers. They shouyld have just gotten rid of the crash cam if its going to look like that.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
When is the PSP version going to be in stores? What day? Tomorrow or Thursday?

Oneself

123rl said:
That's pretty damn good for the DS. It just looks like like a grainy version of Burnout 3.
:lol :lol It's been a while since you've played Burnout3!

Zool said:
This thread is worthless without sparks. Teh DS sparks!

Ahahahahahahha :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

When is the PSP version going to be in stores? What day? Tomorrow or Thursday?

Supposed get it tomorrow here in Québec.. wich means, it may already be in stores at some places in the US....

Sync M

Banned
If EA is so persistant on releasing console based racing games on Nintendo DS, why not release on that suits the system, like Beetle Adventure Racing?

Tarazet

Matlock said:
Heh, looks about what I'd think a late-gen PSX Burnout would look like.

I was thinking 3DO... speaking as someone who played a ton of 3DO back in the day, I should add.

jarrod

Banned
sonarrat said:
I was thinking 3DO... speaking as someone who played a ton of 3DO back in the day, I should add.
3DO couldn't handle the original Ridge Racer much less this game. Try again.

SantaC

Ninja Scooter said:
the car model in that crash/closeup screen looks terrible, easily worse than most PSone racers. They shouyld have just gotten rid of the crash cam if its going to look like that.

they should just make DS the 2D platform.

Matlock

Banned
Har. :D

I thought about Gran Turismo, but there's too many contours and faked lighting that make it look better than that.

Top Bottom