• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Burnout Legends DS screens from IGN

They actually look a lot better than I thought they would. Get a peek here.

burnout-legends-20050912063234655.jpg

burnout-legends-20050912063235389.jpg

FoneBone

Looks like they've managed to pull off motion blur, or at least a decent imitation thereof. Who's the developer?

123rl

That's pretty damn good for the DS. It just looks like like a grainy version of Burnout 3. The second screen is wasted though. If they can't find a good use for it, just turn it off altogether ffs

Apparently even IGN doesn't yet know who's developing it, as it only lists the publisher under its game info. We'll find out soon enough.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Looks like IGN has finally learned not to show DS screencaps at two times their actual size.

The game looks decent for the DS hardware.

Memles

While it kind of looks worse when there's two really pretty Burnout games out today, with the right sense of speed it could be pretty damn good.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'll be damned, that isn't half bad.

I wonder how accurate it will be (gameplay wise), though? I don't really see any traffic present and I wonder if the tracks will be of the same complexity as the other versions (or if it will be more like NFSU on DS and PSP)...

jman2050

Yeah, the second screen looks quite wasted. It's Burnout. I'm sure they could find some crazy stuff to do with the touch screen.

A grainy Burnout 3 isn't too bad. It doesn't look 'good' per se, but it's pretty nice for the DS.

But then again, I hate all racing games not named Mario kart, so what do I know :p

Memles said:
While it kind of looks worse when there's two really pretty Burnout games out today, with the right sense of speed it could be pretty damn good.

There's the rub, and it will be interesting to see how this plays out for 3rd parties going forward. What will be the sales breakddown for multiplatform games PSP vs DS.

Tony Hawk seems to have come up with an interesting solution as the DS screen has a completely different graphical look than the other versions.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I think it still looks like crap. Only the motion-blur looks good but the whole game doesn't play like that. Racing games should be the easiest to get to look decent on the DS what the hell are these western developers doing?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Yeah, looks just like Burnout 3! With a lot...a LOT of grain. ;)
Seriously, this game feels kind of pointless to me since it's not even doing anything special (like using the touchscreen for something innovative or new) ... well, unless you only own a DS and really need Burnout when you're away from home.

jman2050

Shaheed79 said:
I think it still looks like crap. Only the motion-blur looks good but the whole game doesn't play like that. Racing games should be the easiest to get to look decent on the DS what the hell are these western developers doing?

That's pretty much how I feel, though I put it a few steps above 'crap'

Rlan

I think it looks pretty damn good considering this is the DS we're talking about. Looks better than any PSX racer I can think of, assuming there is traffic.

Least we won't have to wait for loading roffle roffle

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
jman2050 said:
Come to think of it, how nice would a cel-shaded Burnout be?

I was just gonna suggest that maybe western dev's should stick to cell-shading with their 3D games. Auto Modellista is DS's last hope for a decent looking racer. Or F-Zero.

Prine

Banned
:lol :lol

IMO Burnout is one of those games where visual effects add to the overall gameplay. The way the blur kicks in, the screen judders, sparks and debre litter the roads, you get that sensation of speed and danger. I just dont see how this can be considered burnout

Andy787

Banned
I'll never understand people who comment about DS games and say it looks good "for the DS." I mean, does it actually look good if you take off the "for the DS"? If it doesn't, how does it look good in any way?

And for the people saying this looks good "for the DS," would you actually play this?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Andy787 said:
I'll never understand people who comment about DS games and say it looks good "for the DS." I mean, does it actually look good if you take off the "for the DS"? If it doesn't, how does it look good in any way?
It means relative to the DS' technical abilities and other games available for the system, it looks good. It's all about context. We think a game like Black looks good when we see previews for it on the PS2, but if we saw those same previews for the game running on Xbox 360, it would no longer be acceptable.

And for the people saying this looks good "for the DS," would you actually play this?
If the DS was your only handheld and you were hankering for some Burnout on the go...why not?

Rlan

Hell yeah I will. If it keeps the Burnout spirit within itself. That we don't know yet.

Plus, since IGN added their damn logo, theres a shitload of artifacting JPEG shit in 'ere. Anyone got the EA originals from their extranet [assuming the US EA has one]?

Plus it's almost a rule that DS games look a LOT better in motion.

Andy787 said:

I would play this... but I also have a PSP. The obvious choiche, for me, would be buying this game for PSP and not my NDS.

what if GTA1 would come out on the original gameboy and pictures will be post on the internet and it even looks like GTA1, would you say:"it sucks, burn the developer!", or would you say:"That looks pretty good for the good old gameboy!"

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Andy787 said:

it looks shyte. I will not buy this for my ds.

but then, I would never buy a racing title for a handheld. racers requires beers n chairs and big screens imo. I hated wipeout on psp (despite loving it on ps2). gimmie 2D please DS.

Andy787

Banned
human5892 said:
It means relative to the DS' technical abilities and other games available for the system, it looks good. It's all about context. We think a game like Black looks good when we see previews for it on the PS2, but if we saw those same previews for the game running on Xbox 360, it would no longer be acceptable.
Yes, I know what it means, and I know what context is. You don't get my point. Black still looks good. It doesn't matter if it is on the Xbox 360 or on the Commodore 64. Whatever machine produced Black, Black still looks good. Competing against other 360 games is what would make Black unacceptable if it were on the 360, not that Black doesn't look good (And just to poke a little fun, Gun and THAW say hi. :)). If you can't say Burnout looks good without the "for the DS" at the end, does it actually look good? That's the point.

If the DS was your only handheld and you were hankering for some Burnout on the go...why not?
Is the DS your only handheld? This is what I'm getting at.

I see people looking back on 3D PSX games all the time, saying how shitty they look now. Why do DS games that don't look any better get treated differently?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
catfish said:
it looks shyte. I will not buy this for my ds.

but then, I would never buy a racing title for a handheld. racers requires beers n chairs and big screens imo. I hated wipeout on psp (despite loving it on ps2). gimmie 2D please DS.
Really?

The PSP screen is big enough to the point that holding it at a medium distance would be enough to create a field of vision on par with an average size TV. If you were to place the PSP back next to your TV, yeah, it would be tiny compared to it...but holding it up close creates a much larger image. It's 16:9 aspect ratio really helps fill your FoV.

karlikk

Looks decent, i didn't even think it would turn out this good. I think we need to see videos to judge, how the game is. I'm willing to buy this if it plays like burnout. As for the touchscreen,
a paint program should be in it, therefore you can paint shit on your car, aftertouch on touchscreen could work (but it must be optional). Let's wait and see:)

These screen shots validate my buying a PSP. :) I kid!

But seriously, the graphics don't look that great to me. Looks washed out and pixilated. Even if I had a DS, I'd pass on this, as to me, it doesn't even resemble a Burnout game. Still, we'll see how it is when it's finished and what the reviews have to say.

Zeo

Banned
Hey that looks pretty nice. Obviously if you compare it to PSP it looks like shit, but that's stupid to do. Looks nice for DS. Can't wait to see it in motion.

I just don't see the point in picking up the DS version when the PSP version is out. It needs to have something really cool as an extra. Only way I'd consider getting this is if it had online play. But it won't, so whatever.

zooL said:
This thread is worthless without sparks.

Teh DS sparks!
sparksDS.JPG

Hahaha. :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
looks good to me

gotta see how it looks in motion though and to see if it lives up to the gameplay

2nd screen may be useless but i dont remember burnout showing a map during gameplay at all

Shogun

Originally Posted by Andy787
I see people looking back on 3D PSX games all the time, saying how shitty they look now. Why do DS games that don't look any better get treated differently?

I think the problem is that at the time of the playstation acceptance, those graphics were amazing, and now looking back at them in comparison to modern consoles they look diminished and pixelated. For a handheld like the DS, looking back involves considering systems that's 3D was mode 7 base, for an obvious improvement. I can admit that the PSP looks better for Burnout, but comparing those graphics to mode 7 stuff on the GBA, there is a big positive difference. I realize it could look better, but I wasn't willing to pay more for a PSP, and it's a satisfying upgrade for me.

koam

Kiriku said:
Yeah, looks just like Burnout 3! With a lot...a LOT of grain. ;)
Seriously, this game feels kind of pointless to me since it's not even doing anything special (like using the touchscreen for something innovative or new) ... well, unless you only own a DS and really need Burnout when you're away from home.

A winner is you!

I don't have a PSP and there's no way i'm spending $300 on one to get burnout on the go. If only GTA gets ported as well..

Top Bottom