• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firmament - Myst developer Cyan's newest adventure releases May 18 (PC, Mac, VR, with PS platforms later)

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
After years of development hell, Cyan World's long awaited follow-up to 2016's Obduction has finally entered the final phase of development, with a release date slated for this May, at least on PC, Max, and PC VR. PlayStation 4, 5, and PSVR2 ports are also in development but do not have a release date currently.

Firmament is a new IP, but continues Cyan's legacy of first-person puzzle-adventures spanning multiple worlds. It's built on Unreal Engine 4, and has been in development in some form since 2017, and was Kickstarted in 2018. Originally slated for a 2020 release, the project suffered long delays and a considerable overhaul/reboot at one point. Little has been shown since that time, but it seems Cyan is gearing up to relaunch the game's marketing now that the project is nearing completion.

ZS3678K.jpg

UHvVvr9.jpg

EDIT 4/17:

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

I backed the kickstarter. Looking forward to finally playing it. I'm cautiously optimistic it will be better than Obduction. I love these kinds of games in VR.
I thought Obduction was great, one of my favorite of those first generation of VR games. It was obviously not designed for hand controllers so the interactions felt very limited even after they added support for hands, but those worlds were so beautiful and fun to explore.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I might have to go back and actually finish OBDUCTION. I remember bouncing off it after it started to get really weird (I mean it starts out weird), but enjoying some of the puzzling (I remember a train early on).

. . .although maybe I should just play MYST remastered.

I might have to go back and actually finish OBDUCTION. I remember bouncing off it after it started to get really weird (I mean it starts out weird), but enjoying some of the puzzling (I remember a train early on).

. . .although maybe I should just play MYST remastered.
Obduction really is a great environmental puzzle. Like Myst and Riven it’s all about learning how things work and how they relate to the story and the world. It’s a big game too. It requires a fast SSD to enjoy however as you have to load and reload and load and reload different worlds.
I originally played on my PC with a spinning hard drive. Mistake. But
I like these kinds of puzzle games, they are just extremely rare.

Virex

Banned
Looking forward to playing this.

Still have my dad's original copies of Myst and Riven. I was just a kid playing them and I spent hours playing both. But I got stuck a lot and my Dad always came to the rescue. Though I remember my dad not always being happy that I hogged the PC, because I had consoles

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Got my code a half hour ago. Installed and checked out the beginning. Runs well on my 3070. Can't wait to hook up the VR and check it out later.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This totally released !!!
How it compares to obduction ? I loved obduction but it was too difficult and just tedious for me with later puzzles. i was too much work

SF Kosmo

This totally released !!!
How it compares to obduction ? I loved obduction but it was too difficult and just tedious for me with later puzzles. i was too much work
The VR is borked right now so I am waiting for patches to really dig in, but the consensus is that the puzzles are easier and a lot more focused. There's a lot less flip a switch here and something happens two miles away kind of stuff.

SF Kosmo

its getting some hammering on steam, looks like another broken release
Most of this is because VR is broken right now. If you are planning to play it on a screen, then I would say go ahead, but the VR has a lot of major issues right now and people are understandably salty about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom