• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses |OT| The Romance of Three Houses, or "Hogwarts SRPG"

I just finsihed Edelgard's route last night, and I'm kind of disappointed. The game hardly gives any answers.
In the end you just take all of the territories and defeat the church, and then the game is over. All the questions raised about the faction of creeps doing weird experiments and kidnapping people are never resolved. What was their goal? How exactly did they expect to seize power after the war was over? I don't even really understand why Edelgard disguised herself. I get that she was doing things in secret to prepare for the war, but what exactly required her to dress up like that? We're told she needs the support of those clearly evil dudes, be we're never shown why. Heck, they even straight up attack and kill their ally's army and there's no consequences to that, that we can see. Who is the Death Knight? He died in my game during the mission where you invade the monestary, because ally AI like to suicide themselves into enemy units to deal 0 dmg. Is that why I missed out on some story?
I get that there's multiple routes so some things may be revealed in those, but I expected to understand the story more after 60hrs of playtime. Perhaps I just wasn't paying attention?

On relationships:
I don't like how you pick your partner either. The game just blatantly asks you to give someone a ring, you get another support custscene with them and a piece of CG and that's it. A game like Persona deals with that much better, and makes relationships seem a bit more natural. Here you literally just select a name from a menu to select your waifu. Odd.

MagnesG

Banned
I just finsihed Edelgard's route last night, and I'm kind of disappointed. The game hardly gives any answers.
In the end you just take all of the territories and defeat the church, and then the game is over. All the questions raised about the faction of creeps doing weird experiments and kidnapping people are never resolved. What was their goal? How exactly did they expect to seize power after the war was over? I don't even really understand why Edelgard disguised herself. I get that she was doing things in secret to prepare for the war, but what exactly required her to dress up like that? We're told she needs the support of those clearly evil dudes, be we're never shown why. Heck, they even straight up attack and kill their ally's army and there's no consequences to that, that we can see. Who is the Death Knight? He died in my game during the mission where you invade the monestary, because ally AI like to suicide themselves into enemy units to deal 0 dmg. Is that why I missed out on some story?
I get that there's multiple routes so some things may be revealed in those, but I expected to understand the story more after 60hrs of playtime. Perhaps I just wasn't paying attention?

On relationships:
I don't like how you pick your partner either. The game just blatantly asks you to give someone a ring, you get another support custscene with them and a piece of CG and that's it. A game like Persona deals with that much better, and makes relationships seem a bit more natural. Here you literally just select a name from a menu to select your waifu. Odd.
Edelgard's route is about 2/3 long compared with other chapters, the 2nd half are significantly different from each other on plotlines. It's an alternative psychopath route. Then there's 3 other routes. Start NG+ if you want more, you can blaze a route like for 15hrs if you want with the renown perks.

Also, how did Persona deal with it better? You still have to max the supports btw. But again, it's so weird comparing it to Persona when the game also have to pair multiple other characters in the ending.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Ok the story is really good in this one. Just on part 2.

Black Eagles class

Flayn is fucking useless no matter what I do with her.
Bylett is a wrecking machine though.
I also love my Bernie, I don't know why people hate her. Then again though I'm an indirect attack strategy kinda guy.

Doesn't this game really make you want an Advance Wars game with this budget though? Fingers crossed.

Edelgard's route is about 2/3 long compared with other chapters, the 2nd half are significantly different from each other on plotlines. It's an alternative psychopath route. Then there's 3 other routes. Start NG+ if you want more, you can blaze a route like for 15hrs if you want with the renown perks.
Well, I expected the other routes to show things from a different perspective. The questions I have are about Edelgard's factions specifically, so it doesn't seem to me like they'll be answered in other routes. It is good to know that the other routes take a bit longer though.

Also, how did Persona deal with it better? You still have to max the supports btw. But again, it's so weird comparing it to Persona.
I don't know, having conversations with party members and selecting the right choice just kind of reminds me of Persona. In Persona the relationships seem to deepen a bit more naturally, and whether you end up in a relationship depends on what you say to them. There's more interaction with your partner as well, as events happen throughout the game to facilitate that. FE doesn't have that (In the Edelgard route anyway). You just select someone to give the ring to at the end, and then you're somehow in a relationships that happens only as the game ends. There's just nothing to it. By no means is Persona perfect in that regard by the way. Relationships are ignored for 90% of those games. But in FE they seem like an afterthought. For all the talk about waifus and husbandos, there's hardly a reason to feel any attachment to any character over the others, apart from their combat performance. I also don't like how most of the A-rank supports are people just confessing their love to each other, but in a somewhat vague way in an attempt to no restrict the player in their own choice. Ferdinand confesses to Bernadetta, and to Dorothea too. Dorothea teases Edelgard with a lesbian relationship, and Hubert confesses his love to Edelgard for no reason. It's just weird because there's hardly any consequences to any of this. It'd be better if the relationship happened earlier on, and the other characters formed romantic relationships of their own.

MagnesG

Banned
Well, I expected the other routes to show things from a different perspective. The questions I have are about Edelgard's factions specifically, so it doesn't seem to me like they'll be answered in other routes. It is good to know that the other routes take a bit longer though.
Church route, but beware the answers may be more vague than you thought.

I don't know, having conversations with party members and selecting the right choice just kind of reminds me of Persona. In Persona the relationships seem to deepen a bit more naturally, and whether you end up in a relationship depends on what you say to them. There's more interaction with your partner as well, as events happen throughout the game to facilitate that. FE doesn't have that (In the Edelgard route anyway). You just select someone to give the ring to at the end, and then you're somehow in a relationships that happens only as the game ends. There's just nothing to it. By no means is Persona perfect in that regard by the way. Relationships are ignored for 90% of those games. But in FE they seem like an afterthought. For all the talk about waifus and husbandos, there's hardly a reason to feel any attachment to any character over the others, apart from their combat performance. I also don't like how most of the A-rank supports are people just confessing their love to each other, but in a somewhat vague way in an attempt to no restrict the player in their own choice. Ferdinand confesses to Bernadetta, and to Dorothea too. Dorothea teases Edelgard with a lesbian relationship, and Hubert confesses his love to Edelgard for no reason. It's just weird because there's hardly any consequences to any of this. It'd be better if the relationship happened earlier on, and the other characters formed romantic relationships of their own.
First, I'd like to say Persona is a different series with a different focus, so it's not a really fair comparison. FE's also having quite a different approach on each generations/installments, with long histories in between.

Waifus and husbandos only happens deep when the child system exists, aka in FE Awakening and Fates, which some (I mean some) people hate. You're right, they did tone down the "romance" this time, it's more like just 'endings' for them. Hardly any attachments? Okay that's subjective, maybe because you did kill "everyone" in the Edelgard's route (lol)?
Also, did you see how paired endings works between characters before the credits roll? That's only the extent of it, I mean the waifus and husbandos shit. You work your way up to pair up others and also yourselves, and maybe get some endings. To do those stuffs, they have to keep all relationships plotlines as open, and unestablished as possible.

Is this the first time you played the series?

Last edited:

Smasher89

Look at her stats, and level ups, seems to me that she can become a late game magic monster, just dont go physical since she starts with such low strenght compared to magic. Lost her before she went really good but every level up seemed really good.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah? Well I finally corrupted her into becoming a Dark Knight and made her blow everything in her path
with powerful wind magic
mLVrc1w.png
Nothing personal Seteth.

Last edited by a moderator:

MagnesG

Banned
Now that I think about it, Byleth is basically the ultimate cock-blocker with his/her ultimate waifu/husbando selection move.

Church route, but beware the answers may be more vague than you thought.

First, I'd like to say Persona is a different series with a different focus, so it's not a really fair comparison. FE's also having quite a different approach on each generations/installments, with long histories in between.

Waifus and husbandos only happens deep when the child system exists, aka in FE Awakening and Fates, which some (I mean some) people hate. You're right, they did tone down the "romance" this time, it's more like just 'endings' for them. Hardly any attachments? Okay that's subjective, maybe because you did kill "everyone" in the Edelgard's route (lol)?
Also, did you see how paired endings works between characters before the credits roll? That's only the extent of it, I mean the waifus and husbandos shit. You work your way up to pair up others and also yourselves, and maybe get some endings. To do those stuffs, they have to keep all relationships plotlines as open, and unestablished as possible.

Is this the first time you played the series?
Yeah, this is my first FE. I know there's pretty big changes between each title, but what exactly those are I obviously wouldn't know.

I know Persona isn't that similar to FE, but there's still the aspect of socializing with people, which affects your combat abilities. In that sense they have a similar feel IMO.

I didn't let anyone in my party die (Hard/Classic) apart from some of those AI-controlled allied units. I did see the little stories that explain how the characters end up, but wasn't too impressed by those. It's kinda just "They won the war and everything ends up great. Bye!" I meant more that when I chose my partner I just kinda went "Guess I'll pick that one" rather than really liking one character over the others. Maybe that's just me though.

MagnesG

Banned
Yeah, this is my first FE. I know there's pretty big changes between each title, but what exactly those are I obviously wouldn't know.

I know Persona isn't that similar to FE, but there's still the aspect of socializing with people, which affects your combat abilities. In that sense they have a similar feel IMO.

I didn't let anyone in my party die (Hard/Classic) apart from some of those AI-controlled allied units. I did see the little stories that explain how the characters end up, but wasn't too impressed by those. It's kinda just "They won the war and everything ends up great. Bye!" I meant more that when I chose my partner I just kinda went "Guess I'll pick that one" rather than really liking one character over the others. Maybe that's just me though.
I think that's okay. For the most part, FE is much more focused on great tactics gameplay and dramatic storylines, plus some supports conversations in between - past entries only have kinda menu based downtime inter battles. Going around in monastery doing chores and teas are actually a big step for the franchise. Still, the supports conversations are pretty similar to grade tier Persona's relationships, so I get the comparison, though this is just one of the efforts to flesh out the characters. People are more into the permadeath thing in the past.

Maybe you would like some of the old entries more, I think they have much more fixed storylines with only permadeaths being accounted, main characters would already have their set partners for example. Gameplay's brutal though, you are basically praying to RNG gods not to let you get screwed.

I suggest if you are still not fatigued you could hit up NG+ for the other routes, well at least GD or BL this time. Take your time and have fun.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about doing another run on Awakening even though I'm not a huge fan of the pair up mechanic.

It's too bad the maps in Shadows of Valentia suck because I love everything else about the game (except it's dlc practices)

If only they remake Genealogy of the Holy War, everyone here would know how crucial the support/marriage system would be and how it will affect the overall game and story.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Bylett is a wrecking machine though.
I also love my Bernie, I don't know why people hate her. Then again though I'm an indirect attack strategy kinda guy.

Doesn't this game really make you want an Advance Wars game with this budget though? Fingers crossed.
Flayn on enemy side is crazy overpowered, she was only one that almost killed my Bylett.....almost. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Both my Bylett and Edelgard are absolute monsters, I could just sent these two and they would destroy the entire army.

Shaqazooloo

Ok, so now I understand what people have been saying about Dimitri. The dudes an absolute monster, in a few chapters i've just sent him out into the middle of the battlefield and he annihilated pretty much everyone. I love it and it's pretty fitting for his character.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

On relationships:
Edelgard's route was obviously made after the two other routes was made as a marketing gimmick for the title. Shorter/Cut scenes where? Not to mention how out of character other characters acted. She never even dealt with the ACTUAL people that experimented on her. Like her uncle but instead she just said fuck the church. She kinda just...says she will get on killing her uncle and the mole people in her ending. Despite said people still having nuke technology. Also most of the information you learned there isn't accurate. Since she learned everything (history) from the mole people. Yes the same people that started the wars and that killed a weakened Sothis after restoring the world.

Play GD route next. Or recruit Mercedes and Casper to see who the Death Knight was.

If only they remake Genealogy of the Holy War, everyone here would know how crucial the support/marriage system would be and how it will affect the overall game and story.
That game had a better Edelgard as well and TEENAGE PREGNANCIES! Child hunts! Ah but fuck that game!

Edelgard's route was obviously made after the two other routes was made as a marketing gimmick for the title. Shorter/Cut scenes where? Not to mention how out of character other characters acted. She never even dealt with the ACTUAL people that experimented on her. Like her uncle but instead she just said fuck the church. She kinda just...says she will get on killing her uncle and the mole people in her ending. Despite said people still having nuke technology.

Play GD route next. Or recuit Mercedes and Casper to see who the Death Knight was.

That game had a better Edelgard as well and TEENAGE PREGNANCIES! Child hunts! Ah but fuck that game!

But I love Genealogy? Sure the constant grinding was a pain, and the annoyance of a long shipping between Lachesis and Finn drives me nuts.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
But I love Genealogy? Sure the constant grinding was a pain, and the annoyance of a long shipping between Lachesis and Finn drives me nuts.
Most people aren't used to the shit that happens in Genealogy. If it ever gets remade (it won't specially after Echoes. Man FUCK ECHOES) it would be something else...

Most people aren't used to the shit that happens in Genealogy. If it ever gets remade (it won't specially after Echoes. Man FUCK ECHOES) it would be something else...

I think people are ready, it's not the 90's anymore ;)

And as for the marriage parts....

If you S support with Rhea, you pretty much marry your own daughter as you share the same body with Sothis, much like Genealogy Claude marrying what's presumely his long lost sister Silvia and rumors of Lachesis getting pregnant of Ares from Eldigen. Last, Arvis unaware that Dierdre was his half-sister.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I think people are ready, it's not the 90's anymore ;)

And as for the marriage parts....

If you S support with Rhea, you pretty much marry your own daughter as you share the same body with Sothis, much like Genealogy Claude marrying what's presumely his long lost sister Silvia and rumors of Lachesis getting pregnant of Ares from Eldigen. Last, Arvis unaware that Dierdre was his half-sister.
People were crying over stuff in GoT and Genealogy shits all over that so idk.
3 Houses has minimum main characters dying compared to it as well. Imagine the salt after chapter 5.

While Sothis lives inside Byleth it is more in spirit or Byleth is just a glorified meat cage. So you boning Seiros is fine! Also Edelg...er Arvis knew about the incest. He was a dick and a puppet with good ideals but he wasn't completely clueless imo. Genealogy also has all these characters with dragon blood being "distant cousins" as well.

ItdM0AT.jpg

People were crying over stuff in GoT and Genealogy shits all over that so idk.
3 Houses has minimum main characters dying compared to it as well. Imagine the salt after chapter 5.

While Sothis lives inside Byleth it is more in spirit or Byleth is just a glorified meat cage. So you boning Seiros is fine! Also Edelg...er Arvis knew about the incest. He was a dick and a puppet with good ideals but he wasn't completely clueless imo. Genealogy also has all these characters with dragon blood being "distant cousins" as well.

ItdM0AT.jpg
LOL, I knew that Entrance Guard always had a thing for Byleth!

kiiltz

I dislike the Master classes. I've got Ferdinand sitting on Paladin at level 39.

Also Edgelord on Lord because it's more aesthetically pleasing than Armored Lord and Connie Casper on Warrior because War Master disgustingly clashes with his hair.

My melee classes basically one hit everything. Petra fucks everyone up as Swordmaster, especially if you place her at a choke point and use the Wait buff. My go to tactic is strategically placing her and Casper (she dodges, he tanks hits) while Ferdinand, Byleth and Edelgard run around destroying people.

Meanwhile, I'm doing all I can to get my magic classes to keep up. The biggest gap is Lindhardt on 27 while Ferdinand is on 39. I don't even bother with the other Sensei's.

Bernie is the better Sniper btw but I use both her and Shamir.

cabbage5k2

Ok, so now I understand what people have been saying about Dimitri. The dudes an absolute monster, in a few chapters i've just sent him out into the middle of the battlefield and he annihilated pretty much everyone. I love it and it's pretty fitting for his character.

Assign him the Duscur heavy soldier battalion you get from the Dedue paralogue and watch him facetank any physical attack with ease while using his monstrous strength growth to pretty much annihilate most enemies. Puts most other characters to shame and is a perfect defensive companion to Dedue's nonsense bulk.

MagnesG

Banned
Can I say I was hoping Edelgard to be "Spell Lord" or "Archmage", a unique magic focused class with absurd abilities like infinite magic and direct counter (all things can be countered)? That seems a bit OP though but yeah, armored lord is meh for me aside for the cool outfit. Really hope they go nuts the upcoming DLC classes.

Last edited:
I dislike the Master classes. I've got Ferdinand sitting on Paladin at level 39.

Also Edgelord on Lord because it's more aesthetically pleasing than Armored Lord and Connie Casper on Warrior because War Master disgustingly clashes with his hair.

My melee classes basically one hit everything. Petra fucks everyone up as Swordmaster, especially if you place her at a choke point and use the Wait buff. My go to tactic is strategically placing her and Casper (she dodges, he tanks hits) while Ferdinand, Byleth and Edelgard run around destroying people.

Meanwhile, I'm doing all I can to get my magic classes to keep up. The biggest gap is Lindhardt on 27 while Ferdinand is on 39. I don't even bother with the other Sensei's.

Bernie is the better Sniper btw but I use both her and Shamir.

Speaking of master classes, where tf is the dreadfighter? There's clearly a master class step up missing for assassins/swordmasters. Mortal Savant is not the same thing.

Is it only obtainable from a late game seal or something like the dark seal with dark mages? Or I'm guessing it's just not in the game.

I swear if Intelligent Systems locks dreadfighter behind dlc.........................................

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Speaking of master classes, where tf is the dreadfighter? There's clearly a master class step up missing for assassins/swordmasters. Mortal Savant is not the same thing.

Is it only obtainable from a late game seal or something like the dark seal with dark mages? Or I'm guessing it's just not in the game.

I swear if Intelligent Systems locks dreadfighter behind dlc.........................................
There's clearly something, there's an item called Combined Seal that had no function whatsoever with the current game. Also people had been playing on Maddening difficulty from start to finish, only a couple of inter start chapter crash.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I was thinking for new game plus I would switch to male Byleth but I kind of got attached female Byleth, I don't think switch to male one.

mcz117chief

I think I'll switch to female PC for the next run to see if there are any differences at all. Also, I just woke up from a dream where I was snuggling with Petra 😀

Ivellios

So im playing on hard and have a question about chapter 12 on Black Eagle house route.

Do i need to keep Ladislava and Randolph alive in order to recruit them? And if so how the hell do i do that? They just blindly run off toward the enemy and kill themselves, its really frustating...

Shaqazooloo

It's gonna be difficult for me to play Black Eagle's. I'll probably have to kill my boi Dimitri and I'm not sure how Edelgard will seem to be in the right. I'm very interested in how some of this stuff plays out in Edelgard's route, although i'm also curious as to what Golden Deer's are up to during all of this. I mean, Claude and his gang seem like a third wheel at this point and for the most part, completely removed from the plot.

kiiltz

It's gonna be difficult for me to play Black Eagle's. I'll probably have to kill my boi Dimitri and I'm not sure how Edelgard will seem to be in the right. I'm very interested in how some of this stuff plays out in Edelgard's route, although i'm also curious as to what Golden Deer's are up to during all of this. I mean, Claude and his gang seem like a third wheel at this point and for the most part, completely removed from the plot.
Her Highness did nothing wrong you filthy Blue Lion scum.

Komatsu

I've been thinking about doing another run on Awakening even though I'm not a huge fan of the pair up mechanic.

It's too bad the maps in Shadows of Valentia suck because I love everything else about the game (except it's dlc practices)

I love FE:Echoes as well - the OST, the way Gaiden’s story was fleshed out, etc - and thought the maps were OK. It was the dungeon crawling that didn’t appeal to me.

Golden Deer is the mythos route. Black Eagles:Church is the hero route and Black Eagles:Edelgard is the “answer route”.

No spoilers here, but Edelgard’s beef is *not* with Dimitri.

Murr

Finished the Edelgard route. Man those last two missions were tough.
Why they always have to spawn flyers on top of my healers :messenger_face_steam:
And those stupid Golems in the last mission. Manuella died in that last battle, because that stupid Golem wouldn't stop critting everything. Grrrr:messenger_grimmacing_

I think the Blue Lions are more enjoyable to play. They are more likeable i think and
killing my old buddies put me in a bad mood during the playthrough
I thought it was interesting that in the japanese voiceover the Black Eagles are called "Schwarze Adler", which is Black Eagles in german.
Now i am off to start a new game with the golden deers. I wonder what the Expansion will look like. I hope we won't just have to replay the main campaign on higher difficulty.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
YAAAS SLAAAY basically.

I'll never understand the Echoes hate, it was my favorite FE before this came out. This one is too fresh to rank it yet.
Celica.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Golden Deer is the mythos route. Black Eagles:Church is the hero route and Black Eagles:Edelgard is the “answer route”.
But that is wrong.
Edelgard's route is the "conditioned by mole people" route. Golden Deer is the answer route.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Omg...I went to boot up my Switch and nothing happened. Then I pulled it out the dock and noticed the screen was on (but black) and the unit was frozen.

After 105+ hours of FE:TH, I was about to go postal, but then a power down and reboot fixed it.

Thank the Gods!

WRONG

Typical Kingdom propaganda to slander the good name of Her Royal Highness. What else you can expect from a nation founded by a bunch of traitors. You're as a delusional as your king.
Sorry, I'm with the Alliance! Also.....

Seiros is a co-founder of your precious empire! Only to be manipulatedby Those who slither in the Dark!

Murr

So i started with the goldies and i am not really sure what to do with Ignatz. Thought about making him a shadow priest or assassin. Not sure how useful the assassin class is though.
Also how long we have to wait for the swimsuit DLC?

Top Bottom