• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses |OT| The Romance of Three Houses, or "Hogwarts SRPG"

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what people are saying, I find Hard/classic quite difficult. Im struggling to determine what units are strong against what though at least at a glance. I'm not sure I'm enjoying the no weapon triangle aspect.
Even if you can't strategy you can use your battalions to stun other units and not take any damage. Doing it while surrounded by others raises the damage.

Shaqazooloo

Holy crap
Warning: Mid game(?) Spoiler
Didn't know Edelgard was the Flame Emperor. I mean, they hinted at it with the Flame Emperor being associated with the Adrestian Empire and having one of the 3 people that Byleth and Dimitri were spying on drop a dagger that was implied to be the one Dimitri gave Edelgard, but I didn't think it was leading to her actually being the Flame Emperor. Also I thought the war would start after the time-skip not before.
I'm really glad I avoided spoilers because this was quite insane to me

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
For those knowledgeable about all of the routes, is the church route an alright one to end with?

I plan on going Golden Deer -> Black Eagle -> Blue Lions -> Church

I think I also might switch things up and play as femByleth for the Blue Lions route.

Shouta

I don't know what people are saying, I find Hard/classic quite difficult. Im struggling to determine what units are strong against what though at least at a glance. I'm not sure I'm enjoying the no weapon triangle aspect.

The game kind of uses a soft triangle. The weapon types have abilities that make them advantageous against another so you can equip those abilities as you get them to make your unit stronger against those that wield them.

For actual units, it's pretty straightforward, high defense is better against might, high resistance is better against magic. So heavies are great against most physical units but get shredded by magic ones. Mages are weak physically so getting outranged or rushed gets them. Everything else is circumstance.

meirl

Banned
This game feels like a chore. There is even a fucking CALENDAR with this you have to do within the month.

Seriously? Is this what video games have become? A fucking chore? I don’t have time for that crap.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This game feels like a chore. There is even a fucking CALENDAR with this you have to do within the month.

Seriously? Is this what video games have become? A fucking chore? I don’t have time for that crap.
I personally like the Calendar system, its nice break between battles and nice way get know the characters better while making them stronger.

Trojita

lol most of the week goes by due to teaching. You pretty much only have two days to make a choice each week. This isn't persona.

Trojita

giphy.gif

nocsi

The secrets for FE amiibo, what is it? I thought it only unlocks songs for auxiliary battles and consumable drops?
You get a Sothis Shield ability for Byleth that you can use once per round and it gives a RES boost to all your units.
You also receive like 7 random items each time you explore the monastery and they can be items you can't even get until the latter parts of the game.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap
Didn't know Edelgard was the Flame Emperor. I mean, they hinted at it with the Flame Emperor being associated with the Adrestian Empire and having one of the 3 people that Byleth and Dimitri were spying on drop a dagger that was implied to be the one Dimitri gave Edelgard, but I didn't think it was leading to her actually being the Flame Emperor. Also I thought the war would start after the time-skip not before.

I saw a spoiler on that literally 20ish minutes before hitting that reveal.

Pumpkin Nutz

Neo Member
I’m only about 12 hours in as I needed to finish Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and CTR but I’ve enjoyed it greatly its been my 1st Fire Emblem in a long while.

Sakura

Finished Edelgard's route, so now I am done with the game. Honestly I thought it was the worst route.
I was expecting things to make more sense in other routes, but honestly, they don't really.
What the hell was the deal with the protag just sleeping or whatever for 5 years?
And it is hilarious that in the other routes, you fight to defend the monastery but slose to the empire, Rhea gets captured, Empire manages to basically take over half the kingdom and Dimitri is MIA, etc. Meanwhile in Edelgard route, with you actually fighting alongside the empire, attacking the monastery etc, somehow the empire is at its weakest and Rhea manages to escape, gather troops and lead the resistance against you.
Edelgard herself, her character and motivations, they don't make any sense. Yeah she doesn't like the idea of the church ruling because the people at the top aren't regular humans. But so what? Things are peaceful. Everybody is happy. Rhea and friends genuinely seem to care about the wellbeing of the peoples. So what is Edlegard's beef that she needs to wage war costing countless lives? None of it makes any sense.

I think the game could REALLY use a true route.

Holy crap
Yeah I honestly didn't see it coming either.
For those knowledgeable about all of the routes, is the church route an alright one to end with?

I think I also might switch things up and play as femByleth for the Blue Lions route.
Personally I think the Church route is the best to end with.

No idea what you are on about mate.

Hinedorf

Banned
I'm absolutely in love with this game but only able to take it small portions at a time, I don't want to read anything spoilery so avoiding everything but man is this game fun!

Last edited:

Trojita

I like the game but below are some criticisms or thoughts I have of the sim aspect of the game. I will put a disclaimer that I know this is to be a Fire Emblem game with strat combat first and foremost.

- There actually isn't a lot of sim gameplay or things to do in the monastery in general. It really makes the gaming site reviews claiming there is so much to do sound like hyperbole.
- There isn't changing seasons when they are describing changing seasons
- There isn't really a wide range of dialogue choices to make, especially any that are meaningful. The one choice dialogue options just feel meaningless. I know those are there to give your character some interaction within a conversation, but again they just seem meaningless since there isn't a choice.
- The game really doesn't give me the school/dorm life vibe. People hanging out in there rooms or doing various activities isn't really happening. I lived in dorms before college and it doesn't give off that feeling of what it is like.
- Would have preferred to customize my room :)
- I find the general architecture of things like the dorm rooms on the first and second floor baffling. The second floor dorms are just one long stretch of hallways with rooms on only one side. Whoever is on the farthest end of the hallway is fucked during a fire.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
At the end of the week and you have the choice to explore, battle and teach. How can I come back to that menu to do a battle. When I went to explore then pressed 'L' when done the week ended, no option to battle.

Sakura

At the end of the week and you have the choice to explore, battle and teach. How can I come back to that menu to do a battle. When I went to explore then pressed 'L' when done the week ended, no option to battle.
You only have one choice in how to spend your weekend. You cant go back from exploring to battle. Need to wait till the next weekend.

I like the game but below are some criticisms or thoughts I have of the sim aspect of the game. I will put a disclaimer that I know this is to be a Fire Emblem game with strat combat first and foremost.

- There actually isn't a lot of sim gameplay or things to do in the monastery in general. It really makes the gaming site reviews claiming there is so much to do sound like hyperbole.
- There isn't changing seasons when they are describing changing seasons
- There isn't really a wide range of dialogue choices to make, especially any that are meaningful. The one choice dialogue options just feel meaningless. I know those are there to give your character some interaction within a conversation, but again they just seem meaningless since there isn't a choice.
- The game really doesn't give me the school/dorm life vibe. People hanging out in there rooms or doing various activities isn't really happening. I lived in dorms before college and it doesn't give off that feeling of what it is like.
- Would have preferred to customize my room :)
- I find the general architecture of things like the dorm rooms on the first and second floor baffling. The second floor dorms are just one long stretch of hallways with rooms on only one side. Whoever is on the farthest end of the hallway is fucked during a fire.
It would be great if the school stuff was actually like, good.
Instead it is such a slog going through the first part each time you want to do a different route.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
You only have one choice in how to spend your weekend. You cant go back from exploring to battle. Need to wait till the next weekend.

Do you recommend alternating a weekend exploring then battle and then seminar? Is exploring once a month enough?

Sakura

Do you recommend alternating a weekend exploring then battle and then seminar? Is exploring once a month enough?
There isn't really much point in doing seminar, at least from what I can tell. I've only done it once.
I'd say do battles when you feel your money or levels are low, you have side story quests (green exclamation marks on calendar), or generic quest battles.
I'd recommend saving battles until you can do two battles on a weekend, at the beginning you can only do one, so I think it is better to explore the monastery and level up your teacher level or whatever. It's a lot easier to get through quests/sidestory battles once you can do at least 2 a week. The red exclamation point battles can net you a decent amount of money, so if you really want to do battles, then do those ones, and explore on the other weeks.
At the monastery make sure you are gardening and eating lunch with everybody. Gardening nets you stat raising items, so it's pretty useful.

As for whether exploring only once a month is enough, I'd say no. At the late game, maybe, because you can do so much in one exploration. But in the beginning you have limited amount of actions you can do, so doing it only once a month might mean slow support level growth etc.

edit: All that being said, battling every weekend is probably a viable way to play the game. It would probably take forever to finish though.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
There isn't really much point in doing seminar, at least from what I can tell. I've only done it once.
I'd say do battles when you feel your money or levels are low, you have side story quests (green exclamation marks on calendar), or generic quest battles.
I'd recommend saving battles until you can do two battles on a weekend, at the beginning you can only do one, so I think it is better to explore the monastery and level up your teacher level or whatever. It's a lot easier to get through quests/sidestory battles once you can do at least 2 a week. The red exclamation point battles can net you a decent amount of money, so if you really want to do battles, then do those ones, and explore on the other weeks.
At the monastery make sure you are gardening and eating lunch with everybody. Gardening nets you stat raising items, so it's pretty useful.

As for whether exploring only once a month is enough, I'd say no. At the late game, maybe, because you can do so much in one exploration. But in the beginning you have limited amount of actions you can do, so doing it only once a month might mean slow support level growth etc.

edit: All that being said, battling every weekend is probably a viable way to play the game. It would probably take forever to finish though.

Cool. Thanks!!

Trojita

Cool. Thanks!!
Also don't fuck up the question a student approaches you with during the academic week. They give an absurd amount of professor points, like 1000, for just getting them right.

As Sakura Sakura said gardening everyweek is almost mandatory if you want to do an optimum run. It gives you a nice amount of professor points, raw food materials and more seeds, as well as the potential for stat up items. Best of all it doesn't use up activity time.

Dining with students/teachers is a great way to get professor points as well as upping their motivation for the individual instruction during the class week. I'm not sure if the daily special gives more professor points, it might. There's also choir practice and cooking food with a student/teacher for more professor points.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Eat with your students when you cant do anything else. You'll not only gain kokoro points but you'll gain motivation to TEACH THESE KIDS!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
How come you guys don't mention fishing? Buying all the bait and fishing with it nets a decent amount of points and gold!
Fishing is only useful for cooking ingredients.

Again daily reminder when you reach A+ YOU STOP GETTING POINTS outside the statue points. So N+ people don't use too many points on getting your prof level back. I maxed it out 3 chapters before the
time skip

Komatsu

I have played through all the routes. Edelgard’s route is what in VN parlance (as some Japanese players mentioned in a pixiv thread) is called “the answer route”. I would wrap up with it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I have played through all the routes. Edelgard’s route is what in VN parlance (as some Japanese players mentioned in a pixiv thread) is called “the answer route”. I would wrap up with it.
Golden Deer>Blue Lions>Church=Black Eagles.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’m in the Blue Lions second story arc after time skip and...

Ohmagerrrrrrd! That moment when my man Dedue reappears! I was beaming from ear to ear. Even though I suspected he wasn’t really dead, they left it just long enough that I started to think he might really be gone and then Da Da! Dedue!

I missed you buddy. Now, get wreckin’.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Made it two part two on the Edelgard route. That last battle of Part 1 was crazy long (though still easy on Normal Casual). Interested to see where the story goes now as I just played until I could explore again after the skip as it was late.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member

Yes but you can take as long as you want to do whatever you decide to do that day. It's not like Pikmin where if you don't do stuff before it becomes night time you're boned.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This game shares plenty of similarities with Genealogy.
Arvis is literally Edelgard.
Royal Blood that lets you use holy weapons.
Brands=Crests
15 year old protags (sort off RIP/Second generations)

MagnesG

Banned
Just confirmed the loli baba ending is legit. I'm surprised but not surprised I guess.

Did 2 routes already, so I'm gonna stop for now.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just confirmed the loli baba ending is legit. I'm surprised but not surprised I guess.

Did 2 routes already, so I'm gonna stop for now.
Either I'm waaay too slow or you guys just play this game crazy fast. I'm still in my first route in chapter 14.

MagnesG

Banned
Either I'm waaay too slow or you guys just play this game crazy fast. I'm still in my first route in chapter 14.
To be fair, new game+ with buyable perks using renown gets stale pretty fast. I kept skipping time unless there's paralogues/rare battles or thr first weekend exploration. Sadly the time management became a busywork for me at some point. Or maybe just fatigue.

I did really enjoy the story and all the support stuffs though.

Smasher89

How come you guys don't mention fishing? Buying all the bait and fishing with it nets a decent amount of points and gold!
Yea buying then 2-3 best baits, fish em up and then selling the fish i think should generally give profit. Fishing and getting the shiny fish on mystery fish event gives 1500 gold alone.

MagnesG

Banned
It's a nice feeling when you got almost all units on master (mostly mounted or skybound) classes with their "correct" battalions, plus needed null effects on all of them. Unstoppable on every case.

I managed to snag Marianne for my Blue Lions fp and holy crap I got the Falcon Knight goddess duo with her and Ingrid.
Try getting triangle attack to work. It's weaker than 2x attack but still, cool animation.

Top Bottom