• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fight vs Streets of Rage - Stand And Be Counted GAF !

Final Fight vs Streets of Rage

• Total voters

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Alright GAF. It's time to stand and be counted.

Which of these classic side scrolling beat-em-up franchises was better ?

Final Fight

vs

Streets of Rage ?

-

I choose Streets of Rage. Especially SoR 2 is the best game in either franchise.

GrayFoxPL

Fatal Frame. Ghehehe!

6EHwv9T.gif

Rickeh

Played bare knuckle 3 to death (jap version none of this cut stuff for the EU/US release) final fight is more iconic imo as an arcade brawler. Characters like guy and cody are still in other capcom games today. SoR had a 4th release recently which is good too. So its a tie lol

Banned
so a mediocre beat em up, a good one and a terrible one... mhh, I wonder which one I'll vote for 😀

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Yeah I read the title and just HAD to click to see what was up.

Next up? Tetris or Mortal Kombat!

Anyway to answer your question, Final Fight for the fun factor, Streets of Rage for the tunes.

Do I get a temp ban then?
Perma ban! *Bangs gavel*

Might allow you an appeal, though.

Alphagear

Streets of Rage series by a country mile.

1 and 2 being my favorites. 2 is the best in my opinion.

Didn't like 3 though.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Streets of Rage is best IMO. Although it’s a shame we never got a Streets of Rage vs Final Fight crossover.

Then we could have a crossover crossover with Battletoads vs Double Dragon vs Streets of Rage vs Final Fight

Dr Bass

Only played this one and loved it to the bone, also absolutely love the main song

Oh man if you loved that game you gotta try all the others. Not sure it would have the same effect on you these days as if you played them at release (well I know it wouldn't) but Double Dragon was one of my favorite series back in the day. You can get the arcade and NES games on any console I think.

Dazrael

Arcade Final Fight by a large margin. The enemy AI is just uncontested in any other game, not even Capcom we’re able to replicate it for their own games.

SOR2 does destroy console Final Fight but the arcade game remains king.

GymWolf

Oh man if you loved that game you gotta try all the others. Not sure it would have the same effect on you these days as if you played them at release (well I know it wouldn't) but Double Dragon was one of my favorite series back in the day. You can get the arcade and NES games on any console I think.
I onestly don't think that i can apprecciate such simple gameplay nowadays.

tbf i loved to death everything i played on my gameboy, from warioland to pokemon red, i was big nintendo fanboy back in the days.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Streets of Rage holds up. Double Dragon is a classic, but it definitely aged. Final Fight always played second fiddle.

When comparing the latest games of each franchise, this becomes even more apparent...

Double Dragon IV is worse than the NES DD1 and 2. It's better than NES DD3 though.
Final Fight Streetwise is... something.
Streets of Rage IV is arguably the best game of the entire genre.

YCoCg

It was tough, Final Fight has the better first entry, essentially one of THE best Arcade beat-em-ups of all time (and that Sega CD OST!) but Streets of Rage shot into space with the sequels in terms of gameplay, music, etc. Nobody ever really brings up the Final Fight sequels and for good reason.

UnNamed

Banned
Definitely Streets of Rage.
SoR owes a lot to FF, but it has evolved during it's years.
Final Fight was the same game for three episode. I want to forget Streetwise.

RAIDEN1

I mean the real answer is and will always be

Shame there was never a sequel......On the other hand, Final Fight CD's music as one-hit-wonder as the game is, is up there with Streets of Rage 1's music...(Final Fight 2 and 3 were nowhere near as good as Streets of Rage 2 and maybe 3) Also talking about Final Fight CD, makes you wonder why the Sega CD was left-off for a port of Streetfighter 2, it could have had music as good as the 3DO version..

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It was tough, Final Fight has the better first entry, essentially one of THE best Arcade beat-em-ups of all time (and that Sega CD OST!) but Streets of Rage shot into space with the sequels in terms of gameplay, music, etc. Nobody ever really brings up the Final Fight sequels and for good reason.
100% agreed.

FF in the arcades was awesome. Played it all the time.

SoR 1 was dog shit. Only good thing was the music. The graphics were bad, the voice effects were the scratchiest I ever heard in a Genesis game, the levels were bland, animations were horrible etc.... I never understood why everyone loved it so much, aside from the excellent audio tracks.

BUT SoR2 is the best 90s beat em up ever. Well, when you got 16mb to play with instead 4mb like Streets 1 you could do wonders. The only problem I had with the game is Axels Grand Upper is a total OP spam move. It should had been the special move where you lose energy every time you do it. You can plow through the game using it if your reflexes are decent. I dont know why Sega would allow such a move where you can spam it every second, does incredible damage, cuts through enemy blocks and doesnt use up health like other special moves.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Streets of Rage is better but I voted FF because I played so much of it as a kid. I never had a Genesis.

Haggar is the coolest character from any of these games too.

Top Bottom