• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Patch 3.2: "The Gears of Change" trailer up, out Feb 23

FFXIV has a fetish for bringing back old FF game bosses to HD. I am 110% okay with this and eagerly await killing Calcabrina and the fiend from 2 of my favorite FF games.

Kirye

I can't get excited for this. I quit 2 months ago hoping the next patch would do something exciting, but this just looked standard. I think I'll just end up waiting for the next expansion to come out before I return. Heavensward has been pretty disappointing. :(

AgeEighty

All I have to say is, man, fuck Calcabrina. If you have to burn all those dolls down to a sliver and kill them at the same time (like in Mog EX) so they don't keep combining indefinitely, that's going to suck.

NEW HILDI QUESTS

Liking those new hairstyles a lot better than the ones that won the user contest. Players have bad taste.

And regarding the MSQ: is this who I think it is that you're about to fight...?

12742245_1107168419327661_5418811688230911934_n.jpg

It'll be a long time (probably months) for you to catch up to the point where this trailer is showing, so jumping in at any point is fine.

The gear progression mentioned above only concerns gear attained at max level, which is a standard MMO model and really won't factor into anything you do until then.

That's reassuring. I guess I just wanted to know whether for some reason I should wait a little longer, haha.

TalonJH

All I have to say is, man, fuck Calcabrina. If you have to burn all those dolls down to a sliver and kill them at the same time (like in Mog EX) so they don't keep combining indefinitely, that's going to suck.

NEW HILDI QUESTS

Liking those new hairstyles a lot better than the ones that won the user contest. Players have bad taste.

Looks like it. He snapped.

Moaradin

Wow actually looks like a great patch. First time in a while the story, raid, primal, and dungeons all really interest me.

And about time we get new Hildebrand quest.

Zelias

Banned
Haven't played since 3.0, and will almost certainly never get into the endgame, but might resub for a month at some point and check out the non-hardcore stuff I haven't done yet.

Mcdohl

NEW HILDI QUESTS

He chose the Dark Side.

Maybe he's become a Dark Knight lol.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I feel like resubbing, haven't played since Heavensward launch. Do they finally have EU servers that are actually located in the EU? I read that they were in the process of adding them sometime last year. And can i freely move my character to a EU server if that's the case ?

Arkeband

Banned
I feel like resubbing, haven't played since Heavensward launch. Do they finally have EU servers that are actually located in the EU? I read that they were in the process of adding them sometime last year. And can i freely move my character to a EU server if that's the case ?

They moved the EU servers to EU, but I don't know if they're still allowing free character transfers.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
They moved the EU servers to EU, but I don't know if they're still allowing free character transfers.

Yeah, i was reading up on it, looks like i'll have to either pay for a server transfer or create a new character on a EU server. Oh well.

Awesome as hell seeing them put in Calcabrina. If they ever get around to doing the four elemental fiends, I'm back in a heartbeat.

Awesome as hell seeing them put in Calcabrina. If they ever get around to doing the four elemental fiends, I'm back in a heartbeat.

I know I should want original content, but I'd honestly be content if every new patch just added a reinterpretation of some old FF dungeons along with monsters/bosses from said dungeons.

Stuff like 4 fiends, or the espers from XII, things that don't necessarily feel totally out of place (like say, fighting Sephiroth or Kefka would).

Notice how this trailer has no focus on Minfillia but she's in the artwork for the patch? lol. I'm very excited for the patch though. Got my 60 day time card and I'm so ready to go back to the game once patch hits. I also have a week break from uni so all is good.

I know I should want original content, but I'd honestly be content if every new patch just added a reinterpretation of some old FF dungeons along with monsters/bosses from said dungeons.

Stuff like 4 fiends, or the espers from XII, things that don't necessarily feel totally out of place (like say, fighting Sephiroth or Kefka would).

Half the fun is seeing how they fit in stuff from the old games.

Will be interesting to see how the other two fiends look for example.

Arkeband

Banned
Is The Gears of Change the new name of a new main scenario quest?

No, they just give each patch a fancy title that people can associate the storyline beats and changes with.

(they could name a quest after it, but I dunno if that's what you're referring to, quest names aren't that important and are often just puns or pop culture references)

^ Yup, that's just the patch name (sometimes a MSQ will share the name).

Previous patches:

2.0 - A Realm Reborn
  • 2.1 - A Realm Awoken
  • 2.2 - Through The Maelstrom
  • 2.3 - Defenders of Eorzea
  • 2.4 - Dreams of Ice
  • 2.5 - Before the Fall
3.0 - Heavensward
  • 3.1 - As Goes Light, So Goes Darkness

The fundamental problem of trying to come back to a themepark MMO where old content is made obsolete instantly by new content will rear it's ugly head for the first time in FFXIV. Longtime WoW players know about the cycle, I think this is the first time we'll really see it here.

A lot of people have been gone for a long time during the long content drought after HW. They're going to come back and find that nobody is doing old content, making it impossible to catch up. To say nothing of trying to find a new raid group if your old one broke up and quit.

Realistically, I'm at a point where all I want to do is continue seeing the story even though it has been so uninteresting after the ARR period. I might just wait for the next expansion and do the entire HW period's story at once in one month with the expansion's story. That would save me on sub fees, now that Yoshi has demolished my house I have nothing left to return to.

Desi

A lot of people have been gone for a long time during the long content drought after HW. They're going to come back and find that nobody is doing old content, making it impossible to catch up. To say nothing of trying to find a new raid group if your old one broke up and quit.
that is what breaks my heart. I didn't even make it to all the content before Heavensward because I was like two scenarios and coil of bahamut behind.

Jeels

Looks like the first time we are getting a decent amount of content all at once since Heavensward launch.

I saw a few pictures of the new tome gear on the official facebook page. Have they shown all of them yet?

Atolm

The fundamental problem of trying to come back to a themepark MMO where old content is made obsolete instantly by new content will rear it's ugly head for the first time in FFXIV. Longtime WoW players know about the cycle, I think this is the first time we'll really see it here.

This already happened to me with 3.1 back in October. Nobody was doing Ravana Ex or Bismarck Ex anymore so I couldn't clear them. That, and Yoshida destroying my house (at least it was a cheap one, I could have afforded a mansion but decided against it) settled my decision of not coming back for good, or at least until the next expansion. The ship has sailed with this one.

People are still working on relic so there will be some motivation to take advantage of that newbie bonus, although some fights *coughthordancough* will be too annoying for people to bother with, regardless of that juicy newbie bonus.

Grisby

Cool, I'll get to check it out before the Division drops.

Even though I've got all but one void gear piece and have caught up on MSQ's. I still feel a bit behind. Wsa thinking jumping in to the Golden Saucer. I want to get some MGP, although I don;t know the fastest way.

The pet game seems intimating, but the chocobo raving was fun.

Arkeband

Banned
that is what breaks my heart. I didn't even make it to all the content before Heavensward because I was like two scenarios and coil of bahamut behind.

This already happened to me with 3.1 back in October. Nobody was doing Ravana Ex or Bismarck Ex anymore so I couldn't clear them. That, and Yoshida destroying my house (at least it was a cheap one, I could have afforded a mansion but decided against it) settled my decision of not coming back for good, or at least until the next expansion. The ship has sailed with this one.

You don't actually need to do Coil to get into HW, and Ravana/Bismarck EX are optional fights.

AgeEighty

Considering this image is on the main website...

2614420d608db6a41f9ed50abe10523fecf0366c.png

Yes, I know Minfilia factors into the new MSQ, but how does that mean that the voice speaking at the end of the trailer is hers? She isn't shown during that sequence. And again: it doesn't sound like something she would say, but rather something Hydaelyn would.

Teknoman

naaaa lol

I started up a fresh account ~13 days ago and I'm already at the expansion content on a 55DRK. Granted it's not my first FF rodeo but still, there's not that much content if you skip all the cutscenes like a not so sane person.

Fixed. Skipping scenes? The nerve.

EDIT: I thought Guildhests were supposed to teach people the basics of party combat?

Hedge

I remember there was talk of making the dungeons needed for stories solo-able with NPCs - did that ever come to pass? Granted it was years ago, but still. I started with the re-launch of the game, but I got stuck waiting at one of the first dungeons for a party. After hours of waiting at the gates I just sort of quit, because it basically blocked off the story for me and that was the entire reason I was playing.

Well they already did Amdapor Hard Mode, this is Lost City of Amdapor Hard Mode, 2 very different dungeons.

I know , but i hate the lost city .. i HATE IT WITH A PASSION OF THOUSAND SUNS COMBINED

i despise this dongeon SO HARD , you can't understand. my worse mmo experience EVER

Top Bottom