• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Patch 3.2: "The Gears of Change" trailer up, out Feb 23

Shamdeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZET2yYZLN8

Release Date: Tuesday, February 23, 2016
The Mac client will also resume sales on this day, more info here.

• Official Website
• NeoGAF OT

The Gears of Change
"Truth. Peace. Reformation. These were the keys to Ishgard's salvation. So believed Ser Aymeric, acting ruler of the Holy See. However, not all shared in his dream, and in his headlong rush to unite man and dragon once more, those still bound by the fetters of the past rose up to defend their nation against the forces they feared would destroy it. Yet change─that great, inexorable wave─was upon them, and soon all of Ishgard would bend to its will."

Previous content updates (trailers):
• Patch 2.1: A Realm Awoken
• Patch 2.2: Through the Maelstrom
• Patch 2.3: Defenders of Eorzea
• Patch 2.4: Dreams of Ice
• Patch 2.5: Before the Fall
• Expansion 3.0: Heavensward
• Patch 3.1: As Goes Light, So Goes Darkness

ThatChubbyBlacklemur.gif

This is the first patch since I started playing that I don't feel the need to resub for! I'll probably resub for the patch after this though and see all the content

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
yeah..no. my sub is over. first time since 2010 that I will not re-sub.
of course besides the free playtime back in the day

everything just looks so boring ._."

barit

Still an awesome game. Just got back to it after a 3 months break and now I´ve so much to catch up. I love it

And music is still freaking ace

Alvarez

Banned
*** Negative Nancy whining ahead! *** Copy/pasting myself from a Reddit thread.

While the raid footage looks great, Hildibrand and the queerbait he brings is always welcome, and I absolutely do want to see what happens next in the main story, I was pretty disappointed with the rest of the "content"...

The Feast? I don't PVP, so that's not a feature for me. --But I know there's a decent chunk of people who have decided to settle for XIV's PVP (I don't know why), so that's great for them.

Hall of the Novice, the training dummies, and the jukebox? Just seeing those made me a little nauseated, as they're being copied from WoW and they ultimately bring nothing of significance to the game. It will always be more efficient to simply practice or Google than to do Hall of the Novice/training dummies, as WoW's Proving Grounds has... proven. --And the jukebox? Is that really worthy of showcasing? Is that how little 3.2 brings to the table?

Beast Tribe quests. More dailies. Ugh.

I'm glad we're getting Amdapor Hard... but I thought this was Heavensward? Why are we still getting new old content that has nothing to do with Ishgard? It would be less of an issue if there were more than three endgame 4-man dungeons. It feels lazy, like Square is reusing Vanilla assets to avoid having to make new assets for a dungeon that is actually set in Heavensward, the expansion that we are currently playing!

New hairstyles/glamour is great, but it's literally going to extend the life of the expansion by a few seconds--the amount of time it takes to see someone's gear/hair.

Where's the AST changes showcase? Where's the server merger announcement? Where's the addon framework to bring XIV to the year 2004? Where's the 934578345 simple quality of life fixes we've been asking for for ages? And WHERE is the Liquid Gold boss?!?!?!?!

/cynicism

I'll still play and enjoy the patch. I just want Square to leap instead of shuffling.

My other petty complaint is that XIV's trailers are, in my opinion, poorly produced. They never have an overarching narrative that really pulls the patch together into a coherent, focused package. Instead, the trailers list off the features and call it a day. For contrast, check out WoW's 6.2 patch trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUtoLaQfC0A

If I were to show XIV's patch trailers to a friend who hasn't played the game, they'd be intrigued by the dungeon/raid content and then fall asleep through the other stuff. --The crazy part is that WoW's 6.2 patch had LESS features to showcase than XIV's 3.2, and yet it looks more robust just because of the fast-paced editing... and in half the runtime! Hire a real video editor, Square!

Qvoth

quit savage raids ever since the new year, i actually play my other games now
wtzgU.gif

will probably check out story, normal midas and hildebrand

Hedge

Those butterfly bosses looked amazing! I'm so sad they aren't in the new Stone and Steel artbook, because geez! They make me want to play the game. The art direction is top notch as always!

georly

I picked up heavensward on sale for x-mas. I played some of the beta and played for about a month last year - didn't have a lot of free time. Hoping to get back into this in about a month, so new patch is maybe good timing? I assume most my friends will start back up again because of patch. Good to know it's coming soon.

Pendas

Banned
I feel like I've been reading the exact same Patch Notes since 2.1... same stuff different names. Sadly, I don't see anything here that would lead me to believe the game is taking any kind of turn in the right direction.

Arkeband

Banned
These trailers have a knack for making everything seem way more awesome than they actually end up being.

The scale of those Midas environments? We're likely to only ever walk on/interact with a small walkway and then a circular boss arena.

That Sephirot clip of him turning into a giant? That's his ultimate move, a pre-scripted event in every single trial. Looks cool, but you just stand there and let it happen and continue the fight as normal.

Jukebox? If you're on a high-pop server you will not have a house because botters own a large chunk of the cheaper market and we won't have additional (instanced) housing until 3.3 or later. So throw that in your tiny FC rooms that are less functional than just going to an inn, I guess. Why wouldn't they just create a portable music player so you can play any tune you've unlocked at any time? They already allow you to manage music while mounted, would this be "too far"?

PvP in FFXIV is abysmal due to the way the netcode works - even with zero ping, you and your opponent need to be standing still for most combat. The only time people ever PVP is when they can abuse the short time investment for PVE rewards, as we saw in 3.0. You don't even have to participate, just run at a wall and hit a key on your keyboard once every 2 minutes, you get the same rewards! (this is how easy it is to abuse which is why it's done)

New crafted gear will be virtually ignored due to the availability of raid gear and the obnoxious requirements to craft anything in Heavensward. New glamour stuff is "cute" but only for players who treat this game as a glorified Gaia Online.

Mentor system and training stuff, most people will avoid because FFXIV players are proud of where they're at. Just yesterday I was kicked from a dungeon because a player who had a "level 60 healer main" was telling me to take off my DPS stance when I was healing in a low level dungeon, when my heals were already doing practically his entire health bar. People are stupid. I anticipate this to be a major flop that people will only bother to involve themselves with if the rewards let them circumvent some other grind.

Ultimately, this is a great marketing video, but any veteran FFXIV player knows to approach anything it's showing with heavy helpings of scrutiny.

Bane

Still haven't played much of the 3.1 content as I heard the story stuff is really short. 2.1 was rather meh for me but I loved from 2.2 on. I'm hoping this has a similar trajectory but so far it feels like Heavensward, as great as the base expansion was, is a bit of a letdown when it comes to the patches.

Well the Midas fights seem more interesting than the first part of Alexander where the only interesting (And soul crushing) fight was Pepsiman. Love the music for the Sephirot fight.
Second half of the fight looks exactly like the first portion of the final battle in FF VI

At least this will breath some life back into the game, sucks logging in daily to a dead game. Always knew 3.1 would be a meh patch anyways, the ones adding the new raids are usually the more interesting ones, provided the fights don't suck.

kiryogi

Banned
Well the Midas fights seem more interesting than the first part of Alexander where the only interesting (And soul crushing) fight was Pepsiman. Love the music for the Sephirot fight.
Second half of the fight looks exactly like the first portion of the final battle in FF VI

At least this will breath some life back into the game, sucks logging in daily to a dead game. Always knew 3.1 would be a meh patch anyways, the ones adding the new raids are usually the more interesting ones, provided the fights don't suck.

:O are you still playing XIV, or are you plaiyng Granblue? That's clearly a Beatrice avatar!

So I bought FF XIV ARR + HS combo on PS4 recently, but I haven't had the courage to start it up.
Is now a good time to jump in? I'm a total MMORPG noob.

So I bought FF XIV ARR + HS combo on PS4 recently, but I haven't had the courage to start it up.
It's never a bad time to jump in since when new content is released gear progression up to that point is made much easier so you can catch up fast.

Ugh, I ended my sub back in October because I knew I had no time for an MMO, but this game is so good. I wish I didn't have to see news about it.

Arkeband

Banned

It'll be a long time (probably months) for you to catch up to the point where this trailer is showing, so jumping in at any point is fine.

The gear progression mentioned above only concerns gear attained at max level, which is a standard MMO model and really won't factor into anything you do until then.

New jump rope raid? 2 dungeons that you will run once and forget about? 1 new trial when 2.1 had 5? a new PVP mode that is being delayed and will bring attention to PVE players that dislike pvp because they know that their endgame is boring so they rather farm the new tomestone by being semi-afk?

another patch where you sub for a month and quit.

Quicknock

Banned
This is the first patch since I started playing that I don't feel the need to resub for! I'll probably resub for the patch after this though and see all the content
yeah..no. my sub is over. first time since 2010 that I will not re-sub.
of course besides the free playtime back in the day

everything just looks so boring ._."
I feel like I've been reading the exact same Patch Notes since 2.1... same stuff different names. Sadly, I don't see anything here that would lead me to believe the game is taking any kind of turn in the right direction.
Pretty much the same sentiments here.

Well, that, and I'm already very happily preoccupied with Blade & Soul and XCOM 2, so it's not like I have any free time to spare either way.

impact

Banned
It'll be a long time (probably months) for you to catch up to the point where this trailer is showing, so jumping in at any point is fine.

naaaa lol

I started up a fresh account ~13 days ago and I'm already at the expansion content on a 55DRK. Granted it's not my first FF rodeo but still, there's not that much content if you skip all the cutscenes like a sane person.

Thorgal

naaaa lol

I started up a fresh account ~13 days ago and I'm already at the expansion content on a 55DRK. Granted it's not my first FF rodeo but still, there's not that much content if you skip all the cutscenes like a sane person.

but most of us don't want to be sane .

J-Rod

I still pay for the subscription, but I haven't logged in for months. I may have to do those hildy quests, though.

Arkeband

Banned
naaaa lol

Skipping cutscenes in a Final Fantasy game is like putting your meal at a restaurant into a blender and then funneling it past your tongue.

Hype

whiners gonna whine

Critique != whining, but enjoy all of those new hairstyles.

Top Bottom