• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Endwalker |OT|

Kumomeme

The FFXIV \ FFVI shower curtain you didn't know you needed.
IkS2F96.jpg
i....i want this

Kumomeme

here it is...25 minute interview with Masayoshi Soken and Alex Moukala

his favourite FF is VI,X and VII (because he is Sega fans that time)

Last edited:
The GAF FC never had a good reputation because it was filled with the kind of people who left for Era. Not-so-coincidentally, the Era FC also has an awful reputation.
You're right. I remember that. Being a part of that FC made me feel like an outsider in the community in general. Also the people in the FC weren't the nicest.

Fuz

Banned
Raubahn is the only person getting older in the whole world.

The game badly needs a graphic overhaul, anyway.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I unlocked the raid. Going to try it later after work. The new PS5 version loads very quickly. 4k mode looks really nice too. Some occasional frame stutter though. Hopefully they can iron that out during the beta phase. Overall I am happy with it.

The final boss of the new Nier raid friggin blew my mind because it's a direct reference to Drakengard, and the events that started Nier in the first place!

Thematically, it was an amazing raid. But mechanically, I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't as difficult as Orbonne was when it was released. Orbonne was legendary in its ability to cause Alliances to want to vote abandon - so much so that they even had to nerf it years later! I don't know if maybe I just got lucky with my Alliance but we didn't wipe a single time, though we came close on the first boss because people kept hiding in the wrong spots lol

Having said all that, it was still fun and I look forward to future runs.

Tg89

So did I misunderstand or is the beginning of the game not free? I see a free trial on the website, but apparently I've already used it under my current email (don't remember that...). I was under the impression the first ~50 levels of content were essentially just F2P at this point. Am I missing something?

Also, as someone who just wants to play through the story gradually, level up some jobs, etc. How true is it that you can play the game mostly solo and what's the time commitment like? Compared to say Classic WoW for example?

Valonquar

The free trial has a time limit of 60 days I think, but they regularly do free 2 week events too. They recently extended the free trial to level 60. You can play solo through most of the game all the way to 80, with the exeption of instanced dungeons you can queue for in party finder. At level for the latest expansion you can queue in to dungeons level 71+ with NPCs with okay AI.

Overall it's extremely accessible, but just like WoW, if you want to do bleeding edge current raiding content prepare your anus. Personally I just stay an expansion behind on the 8 man savage content (Bahamut, Alexander, Omega, Eden) and run them unsynced at 10 levels higher. Better than slamming my head against the wall.

The EX trial fights are okay to do anytime you''re geared for them though. The newest EX fight vs Diamond Weapon is pretty fun. Grinding away for final mount for super mech dragon mount!

Another thought: I know there's some weird stuff with FFXIV native PC client, vs the FFXIV Steam version, so it might be that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Kumomeme

So did I misunderstand or is the beginning of the game not free? I see a free trial on the website, but apparently I've already used it under my current email (don't remember that...). I was under the impression the first ~50 levels of content were essentially just F2P at this point. Am I missing something?

Also, as someone who just wants to play through the story gradually, level up some jobs, etc. How true is it that you can play the game mostly solo and what's the time commitment like? Compared to say Classic WoW for example?
the free trial is unlimited time up to lv 60 which is cover base ARR and first expansion Heavensward. after your reach that level, you still can play and level up other job but it is limit to lv60. if you need to pass that you need to start buy the game and pay subs(first month is free). so yeah, lv1-60 is free.

and the game indeed solo friendly. most of quest is done solo, instance area is solo. only moment you need to form party is when enter dungeon ,but there is auto matchmaking system that would put you into que time and automatically pair you up with other player to form complete party when enter dungeon/trial/raid. after the run end, the party will automatically dissolved and you wont meet same player again. it is that simple. you can play whole game solo without bother with other player, socialize or even join FC. but there is merit if you did that. usually get socialized, joining FC is beneficial if you want to tackle content like harder mode of extreme or savage trial and doing treasure map. but all of these is a side content. just to complete the game, you can do it solo no problem. i dont know how it is with classic WoW so i cant say.

Last edited:
I don't usually do Savages/Extremes (I made an exception for BLU Savage) because I get annoyed by the latency and server ticks (I'm in NY so I have the same ping for NA and EU servers... it's not ideal), but I've recently been doing SB mount farms and having a lot of fun with it. However, I think someone got mad that I got my Shinryu mount on my very first EX clear, because s/he dissolved the party on the spot lol
WxpADLm.jpg

But yeah, I think I'll be giving the ShB EX's a shot after I'm done with SB. We have like half a year until the next expansion so might as well give it a go!

Also, I'm surprised they didn't call it Jade Weapon, because it seems to be inspired by it and would be thematically appropriate.

Edit: And done (with bonus "Garlean" Tower in the background!)
QzqCLsi.png

Each mount took me about 15 kills I'd say. Outliers are Shinryu (as mentioned, got on my first kill) and Lakshmi, whom was inexplicably stingy with her drops. 55 runs! Thankfully, Lakshmi is the one EX trial where you can literally ignore every single mechanic and still survive without a healer so those runs were completely autopilot.

Also, I highly suggest getting these done if you haven't already, because the stat squish in 6.0 will make them a bit more difficult apparently. However, we'll be lvl 90 in 70 content... so maybe not? I dunno.

Anyway, time to learn Ruby EX I guess!

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Since this seems to be the only active FF XIV thread I can find I'll ask here: I just started Heavensward. I decided to pay the $11 and skip the litany of boring (IMO) quests that lead up to it. So now I find myself at level 51, BRD. I want to be a machinist. Will I start back at level one for that new job? And if so, is there content in Heavensward for leveling or will I have to go back to, say, Gridinia and level back up to 50 as machinist then come back to Foundation?

Valonquar

Machinist begins at level 30. The fastest you can grind 30 through 51 is most likely Palace of the Dead grinding the first 50 floors til you have max weapon\gear stats then just do floor 1 through 10 a bunch. Always do daily roulettes, especially story roulette since it gives you damn near a full level of XP. Join a FC that keeps the XP buff up and eat cheap foods like boiled eggs you can buy in town from vendors for an extra 3% exp.

Last edited:
Was hoping for Rune Fencer/Mystic Knight but Reaper seems similar enough, considering the "using the power of the Avatar to strengthen your attacks" thing. But the aesthetic is completely different, obviously - it's basically a Dark Knight DPS in that regard.

Also, the trailer is AMAZING

I'm really considering if I should get the Luna Whale or not. I don't even have that many friends to seat the damn thing too... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

tuned in kinda late but more or less caught up all the details. Reaper, Sage, bunny boys and a whole lot of new and beautiful areas. not to mention what I expect to be an awesome ending to the story so far. as always I'm pre-ordering of course.

Everyone is speculating about who the girl at the very top is.

Probably a new character for Endwalker.

It was cool seeing Caim and Angelus, I mean uhh Estinien and his dragon.
It looks like she's holding an Amarout mask, so she might be an Ascian/Ancient? I haven't found a higher quality copy of the art yet so I can't say for sure.

Edit: scratch that, found one:
E1Zhh_fWUAUjDKe

Yeah, that looks like what I think it is. Based on that, if I had to guess... she is probably Venat, who was hinted at in 5.2 I believe

Last edited:
You think so? I don't notice anything about it that resembles those masks.
They're deliberately obscuring the nose portion to throw you off, much like they did with a certain someone in Shadowbringers art. Also, she's directly in front of Hydaelyn wearing all white... in case you've forgotten, Venat was the heart of Hydaelyn much like Elidibus was Zodiark's.

YukiOnna

They're deliberately obscuring the nose portion to throw you off, much like they did with a certain someone in Shadowbringers art. Also, she's directly in front of Hydaelyn wearing all white... in case you've forgotten, Venat was the heart of Hydaelyn much like Elidibus was Zodiark's.
Okay yeah. I kinda see it now and in fact, her face even resembles Her.

YukiOnna

Oh Kitase was promoted to Brand Manager now that Hashimoto left it huh? That's interesting.

Happy Birthday, Shinji Hashimoto and thank you!
F9sClx7.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom