• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIV Announcement Showcase Starting Now

Kumomeme

WoL become Paladin from Dark Knight is makesense, since in FFIV the protagonist MC Cecil goes from Drk to Pld and then they go to moon.

Kumomeme

I give up on these assholes ever bringing this game to the Xbox ecosystem.

They have talked about it a billion times and nothing ever comes of it.
assholes? who?

it all fall on MS hand. yoshida eager to launch the game on xbox since atleast 2014.

Last edited:
  • Journey to Thavnair, the imperial capital of Garlemald, and even the Moon!
  • New Jobs: Sage and more
  • Level Cap Increase from 80 to 90
  • Expansive new areas, including Garlemald, Thavnair, and the city of Radz-at-Han.
  • A New Tribe: the Arkasodara
  • New threats, including Anima.
  • New Dungeons
  • New High-Difficulty Raid: Pandæmonium
  • Secrets Revealed in a New Alliance Raid Series
  • New Small-scale PvP Mode
  • An Additional “Trust” System ally: Estinien Wyrmblood
  • A New Residential District: Ishgard
  • Updates to the Gold Saucer
  • Relaxing Fun in Island Sanctuary
  • New Gear and Crafting Recipes
  • Expanded Horizons via the Data Center Travel System

Official art and screenshots (more at the link):

Final-Fantasy-XIV_2021_02-05-21_012.png

Final-Fantasy-XIV_2021_02-05-21_016.png

Final-Fantasy-XIV_2021_02-05-21_017.png

Final-Fantasy-XIV_2021_02-05-21_018.png

Final-Fantasy-XIV_2021_02-05-21_019.png

Final-Fantasy-XIV_2021_02-05-21_020.png

Final-Fantasy-XIV_2021_02-05-21_023.png

Final-Fantasy-XIV_2021_02-05-21_024.png

Final-Fantasy-XIV_2021_02-05-21_028.png

Final-Fantasy-XIV_2021_02-05-21_031.png

Last edited:

Cornbread78

The PlayStation 5 version of Final Fantasy XIV Online arrives on April 13 with the launch of an open beta, with the full version launching soon after. New and veteran adventurers will be able to play the full experience (all of the updates through Shadowbringers) with all of the upgrades and enhancements PS5 users have come to expect—the perfect way to prepare for Endwalker!

PS5 version will feature:
•Significantly improved frame rates.
•Faster load times.
•4K resolution support
•and more!

Oh and a free upgrade for PS4 users with a license!

Malakhov

Banned
The elephants is a new playable race?

Ps5 open beta in april, wonder if we can use our main account for it. Does a pc steam account works on the ps or not?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
That 2 second load time they demoed was really nice on PS5.

Sage doesn’t really look that interesting to me. I don’t really like healing often though.

PvP revamp and doing away with the large matches sounds like it could be a good change.

The other stuff looked decent, but expected. Awesome artwork as usual.

Malakhov

Banned
That 2 second load time they demoed was really nice on PS5.

Sage doesn’t really look that interesting to me. I don’t really like healing often though.

PvP revamp and doing away with the large matches sounds like it could be a good change.

The other stuff looked decent, but expected. Awesome artwork as usual.
Feel the same about healing. I played a scholar before and started over as a dragoon. I miss the instant join on duties but I really don't miss watching over kids

kunonabi

Sounds like some cool stuff but the job system and inability to play the story with other kind of killed the game for me.

Thabass

The elephants is a new playable race?

Ps5 open beta in april, wonder if we can use our main account for it. Does a pc steam account works on the ps or not?
Nah, they're a beast tribe. You do missions for them and earn rewards for doing them. Think of them like the Namazu.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm really curious if the PS5 will run at native 4K at all times or if it will be a dynamic resolution.
I'm also really loving the music in the new trailer... it's jammin as always.

Also, the detail on the walls at this part is incredible:
KJgqHau.jpg
and I can't wait to go there. Funny how last week all the Gamestop stock people were saying let's go to the moon and now all the FF14 players are saying it lol.

Boneless

Looks more turn based than ffxv, any info on this? I like turn based btw l, but, FFXV and 7R were passable as well.

buizel

Banned
Can i just VENT MY FRUSTRATION

I signed up to this game on my old ps4, with a square enix account I cant get into

But now i re-download it on my new ps4, it's still linked up my old Square account and wont let me change that so i cant get in ): (id have to use a different PSN account to make a new SE account and link that ugh)

So many dumb updating layers and extra layers. MMO's like this should be like one-button login (and another button to be able to change default login settings)

Last edited:

Hudo

Looks more turn based than ffxv, any info on this? I like turn based btw l, but, FFXV and 7R were passable as well.
It's an MMO from the "EverQuest school" of design (or rather it's Square's take on World of WarCraft's design, which was a take on EverQuest). It's "tick-based", so in a way it is turn-based but you don't control the turns. Tick-based basically means that the server has regular intervals of sending out calculations back to the clients and inbetween ticks, the clients have time to send data to the server for calculation (attacks, damage, positions, etc.) You have cool downs on your attacks. Some are synchronized with a tick, some aren't. You're normal attacks are almost always synchronized with a tick. You control your character directly in real-time and you can attack in real-time but the execution of the attack is, at the very shortest, synchronized to a tick. Sometimes it takes longer. Caster classes might have a casting time associated with a spell, etc.

That tick-based systems stems from back when there were limitations on bandwidth and server capacity. So engineers figured that there should be time for the server to get data from the clients, which have different bandwidth capacities, and after a time, the server calculates (which it does fairly fast) and sends the results back to the clients, which then display the results. And that implicitly created a turn-based system on top of a real-time system.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Can i just VENT MY FRUSTRATION

I signed up to this game on my old ps4, with a square enix account I cant get into

But now i re-download it on my new ps4, it's still linked up my old Square account and wont let me change that so i cant get in ): (id have to use a different PSN account to make a new SE account and link that ugh)

So many dumb updating layers and extra layers. MMO's like this should be like one-button login (and another button to be able to change default login settings)
I think it ties your SE account directly to your PSN ID. Have you tried calling SE to recover your account?

Boneless

It's an MMO from the "EverQuest school" of design (or rather it's Square's take on World of WarCraft's design, which was a take on EverQuest). It's "tick-based", so in a way it is turn-based but you don't control the turns. Tick-based basically means that the server has regular intervals of sending out calculations back to the clients and inbetween ticks, the clients have time to send data to the server for calculation (attacks, damage, positions, etc.) You have cool downs on your attacks. Some are synchronized with a tick, some aren't. You're normal attacks are almost always synchronized with a tick. You control your character directly in real-time and you can attack in real-time but the execution of the attack is, at the very shortest, synchronized to a tick. Sometimes it takes longer. Caster classes might have a casting time associated with a spell, etc.

That tick-based systems stems from back when there were limitations on bandwidth and server capacity. So engineers figured that there should be time for the server to get data from the clients, which have different bandwidth capacities, and after a time, the server calculates (which it does fairly fast) and sends the results back to the clients, which then display the results. And that implicitly created a turn-based system on top of a real-time system.
Oh this is not FFXVI, oops!

ManaByte

Gold Member
Still haven’t finished Stormblood or Shadowbringers. Resubbed and playing on my new PC to get through those before this expansion.

as a healer main, guess I have to level another job now. SGE (maybe?) looks kinda interesting thou. seems more attack focus. getting data center travel is great too. I have a friend who play on another DC and I would love to go visit him. all the new stuff is cool of course and can't wait to see more. I do wonder, once the current story is over, how/what they'll go with the story.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Finally another healer! Not sure why folks are crying about AST changes when 99% od the time you were using the one specific sect. Square is just cutting the fat. Same thing they did with cleric stance.

linkroi

i guess it will be the time to dive again in this fuck*** hell of a time consuming game, but it's worth it, i suppose haha. To be honest, i don't play this game like a real mmo (i mean, the ultra difficult endgame stuff) but more like a "multiplayers" main Final Fantasy. The scenario is overall very interesting (as the characters, of course) and it gives me the "vibe" of a major Final Fantasy in a way. It's not perfect, but i can't wait to continue my adventure with another pan of the story !

CamHostage

*sigh* It never gets to the point of posting something stupid before realizing it, but...

I'm doomed to never know at a glance which Final Fantasy a thread is about until we get to FF XIX...

RoboFu

One of the green rats
still no XBox or Switch ports? bummer.. guess ill keep on PCing it for now until I can get a PS5.

Karuyag

I wonder how Neutral Sect and Celestial Intersection are gonna change.. I hope they keep the shield properties.

Top Bottom