• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI Reboot development officially cancelled

DonJorginho

Banned
Nexon has officially cancelled development on mobile MMORPG Final Fantasy XI Reboot, which was in joint development with Square Enix, Gamebiz.jp confirmed.

Both companies determined that the game did not meet the quality standards expected by fans of the Final Fantasy series from a creative perspective, and agreed to reallocate development staff to other projects.

Final Fantasy XI R was announced in March 2015 and originally planned for release in 2016. While we got a first look at the game that year, the first direct-feed screenshots would not be released until May 2018.

Myths

Both companies determined that the game did not meet the quality standards expected by fans of the Final Fantasy series from a creative perspective, and agreed to reallocate development staff to other projects.

I’m instantly reminded of that FFXII spin-off involving GRIN.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I never played ff11 so I have no attachment to it, but I’m glad to see them putting that effort elsewhere.

Pejo

Sadly this was doomed from the start. I thought we'd see it alongside a graphical bump and possibly a "rollback" server similar to WoW Classic on at least PC. I should have known that when it went to Nexon, it was never going to come out.

Also I see that this article just came out, but the news of the cancellation is at least a few months old at this point.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I was kinda sorta interested in this....but I still play FFXI on PC here and there so it's not a huge disappointment really. I heard rumors of a non-mobile version but not sure if that was even real.

*Nightwing

Still think they should release an offline ver using trusts like u can now. The entire framework is already there and only needs minor tweaks in certain missions here and there to work.

It has a great story and can should be made to be able to be saved past when the servers are officially shut down. I’m bummed it’s never gonna happen
Cldbog7.gif

Last edited:

Pejo

Still think they should release an offline ver using trusts like u can now. The entire framework is already there and only needs minor tweaks in certain missions here and there to work.

It has a great story and can should be made to be able to be saved past when the servers are officially shut down. I’m bummed it’s never gonna happen
Cldbog7.gif
Yea I've been hoping for this for a while too. At least there are private servers out there I guess.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Stopped reading at Nexon. Thankfully it was the first word.

I don't see much point in FFXI reboot if FFXIV exists.

And these relaunches generally fail as they are mostly scams to pull in players before the inevitable shutdown.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
FFXI and FFXIV couldn't be more different types of MMOs. I enjoyed XIV, but I was consumed with XI.
I'd probably be consumed with XI myself but I didn't really understand the controls and there was no real tutorial on what did what. So I gave up on it. Which is a shame because how the job classes work seems like there's a lot of nuance to learn as opposed to XIV's you have a ST rotation and a AoE rotation and that's it.

Top Bottom