• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI | OT | Vana'diel Forever

Rawk Hawk

Well, this welcome back is the one that finally hooked me. RoE and FoV/GoV clicked a lot better this time. Ended up taking three jobs from 40-50ish after finding good spots in Crawler's Nest.

Think I will resub for a bit, I'll try to be most vocal, still getting use to battles again. I saw some LS chatting but couldn't really read it while not dying. But obviously in time that will become easy again.

Taruranto

E5kB6fa.jpg

I got a degree in Geomancy
og8aqpB.gif

I wish starting Idris didn't take 6 months now. =_=

Kandinsky

Grats!

For me it's going really slow, I might cap it sometime in 2019 :p

Well, this welcome back is the one that finally hooked me. RoE and FoV/GoV clicked a lot better this time. Ended up taking three jobs from 40-50ish after finding good spots in Crawler's Nest.

Think I will resub for a bit, I'll try to be most vocal, still getting use to battles again. I saw some LS chatting but couldn't really read it while not dying. But obviously in time that will become easy again.

Hey welcome back mang!

Getting a nice stable of Trusts is a good thing to put on a to do list. Next month they're launching a campaign and some very nice trusts will be easily obtainable, like Amchuchu, Ovjang and Koru-Moru

entirely too much farming later...

Now I can bug someone with Synergy.

Rawk Hawk

Hey welcome back mang!

Thanks mang!

Getting a nice stable of Trusts is a good thing to put on a to do list. Next month they're launching a campaign and some very nice trusts will be easily obtainable, like Amchuchu, Ovjang and Koru-Moru

I'll keep an eye out for them, right now I seemly have 5 tanks (Ex.. Cur.. and Trion from San d'Oria, Naji and Val something..) and one white mage (Kupipi). Got a cipher last night after spawning Val for a Mahili or something along those lines, haven't tried them out yet though.

Ayame looks nice, I was under the impression I needed to be higher ranks in other areas for those, but what I've read doesn't seem to support that, so I'll probably grab her as my first DD.

I play two characters fully...I still have to farm up my second belt and gorget set

Thanks mang!

I'll keep an eye out for them, right now I seemly have 5 tanks (Ex.. Cur.. and Trion from San d'Oria, Naji and Val something..) and one white mage (Kupipi). Got a cipher last night after spawning Val for a Mahili or something along those lines, haven't tried them out yet though.

Ayame looks nice, I was under the impression I needed to be higher ranks in other areas for those, but what I've read doesn't seem to support that, so I'll probably grab her as my first DD.

Missed if you said anything after i waved last night but welcome back. I was in the middle of some difficult nms at the time lol.

Reminder that it's tuesday when we try and do some kind of event or something. If anyone is around at 8 est and needs things, say something and we can try and go get them, or fight a boss or something.

Rawk Hawk

Missed if you said anything after i waved last night but welcome back. I was in the middle of some difficult nms at the time lol.

I didn't, I did spot you once in town after that, but I'm still not quick enough to keep up with chat, may have to just set up a second box for battle into only.

thedan001

Can you explain this more? I never got into synergy in the first place, but I'm guessing finding someone with synergy lv80 will be able to do the craft for me?

I'm at 5 warder combat skill necklaces, so I'm almost there

thedan001

Looking around I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/3zvu9k/a_flow_chart/cypekru

Decent 'get back into things' route? I started up RoV a little, on the bee hunting quest currently, but planning to continue this until I get the 3 exp boosts they suggest in the link and then start pushing a job to 99.

That post is really helpful to help new players find their place in today's FFXI.

For those who want to be efficient and get caught up to endgame faster, leeching in escha zi'tah works just fine. Just try to unlock as much exp% boost KI beforehand to make it easier on the power leveler. I was able to help a friend start a new character and got 1-99 in about 2 hours after finishing RoV.

Give me a /tell if you want a PL to 99, I don't mind helping out because I'm grinding Job Points myself anyway. I'm aware some players want to earn their first 99 themselves, more power to those that do.

Can you explain this more? I never got into synergy in the first place, but I'm guessing finding someone with synergy lv80 will be able to do the craft for me?

I'm at 5 warder combat skill necklaces, so I'm almost there

The way it was explained to me, someone else with higher synergy than you can do the craft after you've deposited the items as long as you're in a party.

The way it was explained to me, someone else with higher synergy than you can do the craft after you've deposited the items as long as you're in a party.
yea thats exactly it.

The main design was that you can share the subcrafts needed to create something. So like a 100 alchemist teams up with a 100 goldsmith and synergizes a final product. In practice its never worked that way. You just find someone with leveled synergy and appropriate synth skill to make shit with you in party

Looking around I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/3zvu9k/a_flow_chart/cypekru

Decent 'get back into things' route? I started up RoV a little, on the bee hunting quest currently, but planning to continue this until I get the 3 exp boosts they suggest in the link and then start pushing a job to 99.

Step A2) is missing a mention that you need rank 5 and a bit of progress through every expansion pack's mission set to actually progress through RoV that far. Otherwise I can find little fault with this overview.

Husker86

That post is really helpful to help new players find their place in today's FFXI.

For those who want to be efficient and get caught up to endgame faster, leeching in escha zi'tah works just fine. Just try to unlock as much exp% boost KI beforehand to make it easier on the power leveler. I was able to help a friend start a new character and got 1-99 in about 2 hours after finishing RoV.

Give me a /tell if you want a PL to 99, I don't mind helping out because I'm grinding Job Points myself anyway. I'm aware some players want to earn their first 99 themselves, more power to those that do.

Man I feel like a chump with my 75-100k/hour exp with trusts in Crawler's Nest...and I thought I was on fire.

kch

Is Abyssea really needed for anything these days? I'd love to skip buying them @10€ each if I could.

ZetaEpyon

Is Abyssea really needed for anything these days? I'd love to skip buying them @10€ each if I could.

What version/collection do you have right now?
If you get the latest collection, you'll get everything (including all of the Abyssea addons) for about $30 total.

kch

What version/collection do you have right now?
If you get the latest collection, you'll get everything (including all of the Abyssea addons) for about $30 total.

I got the expansions up to WotG but none of the addons. I tried getting the ultimate pack for my missing content but since I imported I need US keys where as I can only buy EU ones when SE/GmG do sales. Guess I could look up US ultimate pack on ebay for a cheaper route though.

Lain

I got the expansions up to WotG but none of the addons. I tried getting the ultimate pack for my missing content but since I imported I need US keys where as I can only buy EU ones when SE/GmG do sales. Guess I could look up US ultimate pack on ebay for a cheaper route though.

You should be able to buy a US key from the US side of the Square Enix store.

ZetaEpyon

Tried that but it would not let me checkout since billing adress is outside NAland sadly.

Are you able to buy digital stuff from Amazon US? They have the Ultimate Seekers Collection for $30 as well. Obviously wouldn't need to really download it from them, just to get the code.

Loona

Not really needed, but there's a wee bit of story by the end, and if you're a BLU, it's the one source of Might Guard outside a Rhapsodies fight.

kch

Not really needed, but there's a wee bit of story by the end, and if you're a BLU, it's the one source of Might Guard outside a Rhapsodies fight.

I see, thanks! I could look up the story stuff and have no plans on leveling blu so that works out quite fine then.

ZetaEpyon

AF3.

10€ each? Isn't there some kind deal going around?

Yeah AF3 (reforged, naturally) can be pretty desirable depending on job.

If you buy each Abyssea addon separately, they cost $10/10€ each, so it makes no sense to do so really. Better off just buying the Ultimate Seekers Collection for the same price and getting everything.

Brigandier

I can't believe I made an Ochain in 3 days lol..... I remember and cringe at how frustrating souls once were.

Still loving this game after taking a little break to recharge my batteries.

Taruranto

Well, I guess a day later at 8:30 PM is a good time as any to end Free Login "week", SE.

Sorry fellas I was doing T1 mobs, if you are reading this, I can't log back.

DarkKyo

Can I get a pearl sometime on my new char please? I have tons of telepoints unlocked so I can come to you this time.

Also, I'm trying to complete the Rank 2 final mission fight for Bastok which is the Black Dragon in Giddeus. The online guide says I can use trust in the fight but I can't seem to get my trusts to work for the fight. If I summon them beforehand they don't zone in with me. In the fight arena itself they are gone and I can't summon them while inside. Anyone know what's up?

At my current level(30) I can't beat this fight alone.

Edit: nevermind, I just figured out what was wrong lol. Summoning them outside the fight was killing their cooldown timers inside, so I just had to wait.

ZetaEpyon

Can I get a pearl sometime on my new char please? I have tons of telepoints unlocked so I can come to you this time.

Yeah, I looked for you the other day but you weren't online. Shoot me a tell anytime, and I'll try to leave some pearls on the Concierge in Bastok Markets as well.

Also, I'm trying to complete the Rank 2 final mission fight for Bastok which is the Black Dragon in Giddeus. The online guide says I can use trust in the fight but I can't seem to get my trusts to work for the fight. If I summon them beforehand they don't zone in with me. In the fight arena itself they are gone and I can't summon them while inside. Anyone know what's up?

At my current level(30) I can't beat this fight alone.

Edit: nevermind, I just figured out what was wrong lol. Summoning them outside the fight was killing their cooldown timers inside, so I just had to wait.

If you haven't got windower yet it has a plugin for visible cooldown timers. Might help you out with that.

Husker86

I can't believe I made an Ochain in 3 days lol..... I remember and cringe at how frustrating souls once were.

Still loving this game after taking a little break to recharge my batteries.

How do I start with Ochain? I'm level 90, but very very new to all the changes in the last ~3-4 years.

My goal was Aegis, but it almost seems as if that's second-tier to Ochain. I highly doubt I will be doing large group high level battles; I'll be more solo/duo oriented. That seems to reinforce Ochain because of the block rate.

How do I start with Ochain? I'm level 90, but very very new to all the changes in the last ~3-4 years.

My goal was Aegis, but it almost seems as if that's second-tier to Ochain. I highly doubt I will be doing large group high level battles; I'll be more solo/duo oriented. That seems to reinforce Ochain because of the block rate.

Ochain costs like 10x what an Aegis does. You start one in Abyssea.
But Aegis is far from obsolete.

Have been real nostalgic all day, looking through my old screenshots from playing for yeeeeeeears on the PS2 and Xbox 360 versions. I was actually still playing the 360 version right up until February this year, but made the switch to PC (on a TV) early when the Xbox version just stopped working anyway lol, SE never gave me an answer as to why. >_>

Such great memories, such a special game. I'm glad I managed to get 100% Achievements on Xbox as well. :)

Farewell console versions, thank you for all the good times. <3

Loona

The recommended PC specs were recently updated to account for the end of the console era: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/envi/win/win01.html

While we probably can't expect major developments to justify that, it's still a neat gesture.

Now I wonder how long it'll take for them to work out the server population math of the post-console era and announce some server merges...
I was on Remora and later got merged into Leviathan, which sort of kept the water-based avatar theme... IIRC, Fairy got merged into Sylph, which also kept a fae naming theme... I wonder if anything of the sort will still apply to later merges, if that's even possible at this point.

ZetaEpyon

Ochain costs like 10x what an Aegis does. You start one in Abyssea.
But Aegis is far from obsolete.

Yeah, of the two, I would probably make Aegis first. That magic damage mitigation is harder to make up for than the block rate of Ochain. In fact, I believe that Priwen (the Oboro shield) is actually slightly better than Ochain as long as you're able to keep reprisal up.

Yeah, of the two, I would probably make Aegis first. That magic damage mitigation is harder to make up for than the block rate of Ochain. In fact, I believe that Priwen (the Oboro shield) is actually slightly better than Ochain as long as you're able to keep reprisal up.

Unless of course you just happen to have 1.2~1.5 billion gil burning a hole in your pocket, then you can get that rad afterglow on ochain.

DarkKyo

Yeah, I looked for you the other day but you weren't online. Shoot me a tell anytime, and I'll try to leave some pearls on the Concierge in Bastok Markets as well.

Ah, sorry about that! I'll definitely look for you next time I'm on. Not sure when that will be though since I left my laptop adapter in another city. Probably sometime this weekend. Thanks!
If you haven't got windower yet it has a plugin for visible cooldown timers. Might help you out with that.

I'll look into this. Back in the day I always thought add-ons for this game were bannable.

Husker86

So I very clearly don't understand Abyssea.

Went there as 79 THF with Trusts and killed worms, lots of them in a row, and exp never changed (~132-145 per kill)

Loona

So I very clearly don't understand Abyssea.

Went there as 79 THF with Trusts and killed worms, lots of them in a row, and exp never changed (~132-145 per kill)

There's a whole system of lights affected by the killing blow and opened chests there that affect exp gain. It's been a while since I was there, but check the bluegartr wiki for more details.

For sheer exp there may be better places nowadays though, like Escha-Zi'tah.

Lain

I saw the list of trusts available for the Alter Ego Extravaganza on the playonline website, but in-game I saw that there were also other trusts available (like King).
Is there a complete list somewhere with all the available ones during this extravaganza?

I saw the list of trusts available for the Alter Ego Extravaganza on the playonline website, but in-game I saw that there were also other trusts available (like King).
Is there a complete list somewhere with all the available ones during this extravaganza?

It's just the 9 listed on the news page. The link sends you to a forum thread that literally lists them all.

Lain

It's just the 9 listed on the news page. The link sends you to a forum thread that literally lists them all.

Yeah, the forum thread lists them all, but I was hoping for a list of just the ones available for purchase in game during this easter extravaganza since other than the 9 mentioned on the front page I also found King, Makki and Morimar.
Basically I was wondering if there were other trusts available right now that I might not know about.

Edit: I see King, Makki and Morimar have been added to the frontpage today, so I guess that's all.

Top Bottom