• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI | OT | Vana'diel Forever

OK, so playing for a few hours a day for a week, I've gotten to Rank 3, have 3 jobs at 50, and have unlocked a couple advanced jobs. That would have taken half a year back at release. I'm hooked. How active is the gaf ls? I'll do a server transfer if somebody is willing to pearl me.

There's people on every day, some days are more quiet than others. Yes you can have a pearl no prob, just get on the spreadsheet in the OP and bug a sackholder. We also try and run events every Tuesday at 8 est so if you have something you want to do, let people know and we can try and do it.

Is Plastic Surgeon broken?, I keep changing between races lol

Also is spellcast dead?

Check this list for addons/plugins you shouldn't enable, if not outright delete from the Windower installation folder. Plastic Surgon and BlinkMeNot in particular can cause your model to randomly transform into a chocobo, for example.

I don't even know why they're available to download from the UI anymore.

Kandinsky

Man did they lower the chances of getting a coloful abyssite?, more than an hour and a half killing tier1 and nothing, also is there a plug in or addon to better locate the nms?, they move around alot >_>

ApharmdX

Banned
Man did they lower the chances of getting a coloful abyssite?, more than an hour and a half killing tier1 and nothing, also is there a plug in or addon to better locate the nms?, they move around alot >_>

Once you get to a certain point in RoV, I think you get a KI that gives 100% upgrade chance for those?

ZetaEpyon

Once you get to a certain point in RoV, I think you get a KI that gives 100% upgrade chance for those?

Do note that this applies ONLY for VNMs inside Abyssea. If you're doing the ones outside for materials or something (ethereal squama, etc.), you're out of luck.

Lain

I got a couple nice ilvl119 items from turning in those dial keys to the goblins, though neither for my THF (they were a SMN staff and a SAM/MNK/NIN/PUP chest), which is the only one close to 99. I was surprised to get a +1 though.

Kandinsky

Awesome!
Do note that this applies ONLY for VNMs inside Abyssea. If you're doing the ones outside for materials or something (ethereal squama, etc.), you're out of luck.
Awww D:
I got a couple nice ilvl119 items from turning in those dial keys to the goblins, though neither for my THF (they were a SMN staff and a SAM/MNK/NIN/PUP chest), which is the only one close to 99. I was surprised to get a +1 though.
Where do I get these keys?, I had 3 in my inventory and I want more :p

Where do I get these keys?, I had 3 in my inventory and I want more :p

Requires a campaign to be active, then when you log in after midnight JST you get another key in your bags if there's room for it. Last campaign just ended where you got keys good for one random abjuration (including Escha-Ru'Aun abjurations). Most of the time you got crappy abjurations that nobody in their right mind would use. If you have a ton of mules that have been active for a month and a half, the minimum required to be eligible for the campaign, then you can get a lot of keys that way.

The latest campaign offers no keys, but you can open the 'adoulin dial' which mostly gives you Skirmish +1 stones and rarely an H-P Bayld.

ZetaEpyon

The latest campaign offers no keys, but you can open the 'adoulin dial' which mostly gives you Skirmish +1 stones and rarely an H-P Bayld.

It also has a higher chance of giving gear for the special dial. So if you saved your SP Gobbie Keys from previous campaigns, now would be the time to use them.

img_20160313_203909g9pf6.png

In about a month I'll 119 my relic. It's a start I guess. Kind of wish I'd bought an Iridal back when they were 250k. Feels like my current options for BLM belts suck tho.

Kandinsky

^grats!

Man there's so much gear in the game, and everything seems to be upgradable or augmentable it's really overwhelming :/

Also I wish I did rank10 for all three nations, that 30% CP bonus would be really nice to my solo nin ass, oh well D:

Parshias7

In about a month I'll 119 my relic. It's a start I guess. Kind of wish I'd bought an Iridal back when they were 250k. Feels like my current options for BLM belts suck tho.

For BLM waists, you'd be looking at Refoccilation Stone and Hachirin-no-obi. Iridal/Chatoyant Staffs aren't useful for anything more than healing with Aurorastorm up since you lose a huge amount of magic accuracy over using an ilvl 119 staff.

I'm not sure if you'd have enough Magic Accuracy to handle Reisenjima T1s, but if you do, then Merlinic gear is the next big upgrade for nuking.

I think I heard somewhere that there would be a Free Login campaign once console support ends, so.... next month.

Yeah I believe this is correct. I also don't remember where I heard it.

Was announced here

The new development team structure promises to work as hard as ever to create new and exciting experience in the world of Vana'diel, and at the end of the month we plan to hold an event wherein previous adventurers will have the opportunity to set foot in Vana'diel for free once more-a perfect time to bring old friends back.

Husker86

Came back because someone I used to play with a lot in the game's first years reactivated. Had to switch back to my original server from the GAF one. I can't believe I'm back yet again...

ApharmdX

Banned
Came back because someone I used to play with a lot in the game's first years reactivated. Had to switch back to my original server from the GAF one. I can't believe I'm back yet again...

I know this feeling. I quit for almost two years a while back, and after being away a couple of months this time, I miss FFXI. I miss my pet jobs, and I've gotten bored with FFXIV. Maybe I'll come back and just work on getting Kenkonken done, maybe do Nirvana and Aymur too... I've got nothing but time.

Einhander

Can someone help me out?

I just bought the FF11 collection on Steam. I got it installed, started connecting, but got booted out after the opening movie. There was an error about the network connection not working or something. If it has to do with my router, I don't even know how to reach the configuration page.

Can someone help me out?

I just bought the FF11 collection on Steam. I got it installed, started connecting, but got booted out after the opening movie. There was an error about the network connection not working or something. If it has to do with my router, I don't even know how to reach the configuration page.

It's a common problem if you let the movie play to the end that the game ejects your connection. Just skip the opening cinematic and you should get in no problem.

Loona

Can someone help me out?

There's a separate configuration program, I think in the same folder as the FFXI executable, where you can define a number of things like screen size and resolution, and perhaps more importantly in this case (and after you've seen it quite a few times anyway), set the opening movie not to play when you start the game.

Enjoy your Vana'diel experience. You might want to look into the Records of Eminence section of the Quests menu when you're in game, and the Rhapsodies missions.

For any new and reactivating folks, please make sure you get in touch with someone to get you a pearl. I think a few people have started recently who we haven't found yet.

B.K.

April version update announced!

SwWjqcM.jpg

The next version update is scheduled for early April.

Enjoy a variety of additions and new ways to enjoy FINAL FANTASY XI, including new battle content known as ambuscade, a new method of transportation known as mounts, and alter ego emotion linking.

We are also making progress on implementing a second Mog Wardrobe, and we hope you're looking forward to enjoying it as much as we're looking forward to bringing it to you.

More inventory space! Too bad it's just a Wardrobe. I wish it was another sack or satchel. I need more place to put all my junk, not just gear.

Loona

Rhapsodies really made me fancy the idea of having Iroha in Dissidia - so when an artist friend up mine opened up the possibility of commissions for a while, I knew what to ask for:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ambuscade appears to take place in the same zone as Legion. That is going to trigger some PTSD if what I've read about Legion is all true.

Legion used to be ridiculously difficult with mostly side-grade level rewards, which was why it was an utter failure as an event. These days its very exploitable with trusts due to the way that zone works, you can enter as a trio then disband and call a full complement of trusts each. Obviously you can't alliance after that, but coordinating via ls chat is a fine alternative. Lower halls are all pretty easy, but Mul still requires some care due to the bosses' array of nasty moves.

I highly doubt they'd add an event as obnoxiously difficult as Legion was, but the format was actually really fun so I'd like them to revisit it.

etae

New to FFXI, I did add myself to the spreadsheet. I'm currently lvl 20 war.

Any tips for leveling/specific gear I should be getting/ etc. is appreciated.

If you have a pearl feel free to ask for help if you need it.
You don't need that much gear while levelling, your trusts (once you have the original complement) will do a lot of the damage on your behalf while keeping your downtime minimal.
Make sure you have as many relevant records of eminence quests active at all times for the exp/sparks/accolades you'll use later for money and gear.
If you're grinding it out in a zone, never forget to activate the Fields of Valor regimen for the exp/money bonuses.

In other news...

Now to figure out how the hell I'm going to make my stall. Because yeah, Synergy :(

Just get whatever you can afford / gear from the sparks npc until you're situated. Start work on artifact, relic, and empyrean gear once you hit 60+.

There's some info on leveling in the OP that's still relevant. You can stack all sorts of bonuses to make it go by quickly.

etae

If you have a pearl feel free to ask for help if you need it.
You don't need that much gear while levelling, your trusts (once you have the original complement) will do a lot of the damage on your behalf while keeping your downtime minimal.
Make sure you have as many relevant records of eminence quests active at all times for the exp/sparks/accolades you'll use later for money and gear.
If you're grinding it out in a zone, never forget to activate the Fields of Valor regimen for the exp/money bonuses.

Just get whatever you can afford / gear from the sparks npc until you're situated. Start work on artifact, relic, and empyrean gear once you hit 60+.

There's some info on leveling in the OP that's still relevant. You can stack all sorts of bonuses to make it go by quickly.

Thanks for the tips! I've been doing most of those but was just worried I was missing something big. The systems used so far are fairly easy just hidden or not well explained in game.

I'm level 30 now and finished my subjob quest.

ZetaEpyon

Thanks for the tips! I've been doing most of those but was just worried I was missing something big. The systems used so far are fairly easy just hidden or not well explained in game.

I'm level 30 now and finished my subjob quest.

Do you still need a linkpearl?

Top Bottom