• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Games Will “Link Up” to Advent Children, Says Nomura

Draugoth

Gold Member
9cc25140-989d-11eb-bd70-6a9509a0176c
Nomura implied that fans of the Final Fantasy VII movie Advent Children will be catered for.

Explicitly speaking, Nomura stated those who play the Final Fantasy VII Remake games up to the end will find that it will “link up to Advent Children.” You can view the quoted comment from Nomura below:

“If you play right through to the end, it will link up [to Advent Children] so you don’t need to worry about that,” he says with a knowing smile.

Due to the vagueness of this statement, there isn’t much to conclude. However, when considering how Advent Children occurs after the events of the original Final Fantasy VII, it’s not exactly surprising to see it being retained in this new telling.

Doom85

I mean it has been known for a while now? In Remake characters had visions of event happened in Advent Children.

Not to mention the “Harbringers of Fate” resembled the three villains of AC. Yet another reason I suspect some of the shit Sephiroth is claiming about changing fate is bullshit (not saying that things can’t change from the original timeline as clearly they have, but it may not be as clear cut as he says, like Biggs’ survival could have happened regardless of what Cloud and co. would have done in the final act of Remake).

I’m just saying, when all this “changing fate” talk is coming almost solely from a villain who ranks among the biggest manipulators of the franchise, I question why the theorists are so eager to hang on every word he says instead of questioning at least some of it. I think Nomura is going to throw a lot of them off but in a clever way. Everyone kept screaming, “third timeline!” in the first trailer showing Cloud’s team dead, yet all that imagery was made clear to be SHINRA news footage. You know, the same company that manipulates the news and lies about it, a detail that was even more fleshed out in Remake?

I really think it’s telling Nomura and team are using the manipulative villains to showcase all this theory-fueling stuff. It’s like they’re having the villains break the fourth wall and manipulate the theorists and barely anyone is seeming to catch on, despite it being confirmed Nomura himself dialed back the ideas that the other writers had of changing a lot from the OG’s story.

So Aerith still dies then? Thanks for the spoiler bruh.
Everyone dies in one universe or another. Technically we saw that in the world where Zack lived, the entire main cast other than Cloud died because Cloud wasn't there to help Avalanche. The question is if there was a universe where Aerith didn't die.

One has to wonder if it is fair to tell Aerith that "she needed to die in order to help Cloud from within the Lifestream". it is one thing to have someone who died helping you. It is another to tell someone who is still alive to hurry up and die as their destiny.

It is just bad taste to tell a girl that her job is to die and to get on with it. With what the cast already know about the future, are the whole cast going to stand there and tell Sephorith to "hurry up and stick your sword into her and then we can move on"?

Is Aerith going to go "stab me already, you pussy!" to Sephorith?

Last edited:

Larxia

It’s been evident since the first game released. It’s a clear sequel and anyone who doesn’t get it at this point is crazy to me.
I'm confused. I mean I agree with you that it's a sequel, but then if it's a sequel, it doesn't make sense that it connects to advent children at the end, since advent children was a sequel to the original game, while remake is a new story :pie_confused: It seemed more like advent children was part of a different / past timeline like the original game, in the remake.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'm sick of hearing this, If you dont like his games then dont play it.

He's garbage, but this is also the only studio I can think of attempting something this ambitious in production and scope? *at the current moment

MAKE IT MAKE SENSE.

Last edited:
I'm confused. I mean I agree with you that it's a sequel, but then if it's a sequel, it doesn't make sense that it connects to advent children at the end, since advent children was a sequel to the original game, while remake is a new story :pie_confused: It seemed more like advent children was part of a different / past timeline like the original game, in the remake.
Don't forget that AC basically ended with the extinction of the human race, so it is hardly a positive ending you think it is.

More likely it is now one of the canon timelines. Not the future, but one of the branches.

At this point I think it is too contrived to kill Aerith in the remake, if only because it wouldn't make sense in a narrative. And we already had FF10 telling us not to kill the female protagonist just because fate said so. if anything Sephiroth might AVOID killing Aerith just to fuck with the timeline.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

Spoilception, shit.

Did you spoil OG or Remake? But remake isn't finished yet so you can't spoil it. But remake is remaking OG, so it totally can, but if it's not out, it's like Schrodinger's spoiler, right? But Advent Children is spoiled either way. But is that because of the quote or because it sucks? LOVELESS? My soul hath endured torment to find Bliss in her everlasting Ever Crisis spoils everything? Even Before Crisis? But Before Cris-FUUUU

Synless

Sephiroth from OG/Advent Children has figured out how to control or influence parallel universes. The only thing I’m not 100% is if the Sephiroth in universe two is that same one or if OG Sephiroth has shown Sephiroth 2 the “light” with all his knowledge.

They are dropping these hints everywhere and that interview answer confirms it.

Top Bottom