• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Has Become Its Own Universe

Most Final Fantasy games just exist as a one-off and then the next Final Fantasy game will be completely unrelated to the previous one.

Yes, I know there's some exceptions like the Crystal Chronicles games that I'll take place in the same world.

One exception to that is Final Fantasy VII.

I can't remember how many spin-offs there are now but I'll take place in the Final Fantasy 7 universe. So, when you go back you have the Final Fantasy 7 game, Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core and the anime Advent Children.

But now we're expanding beyond that.

People thought Final Fantasy 7 remake was just going to be a literal remake but it turns out it wasn't.

Spoilers Ahead....

But as it turns out, it's in the same universe but with time travel just changing what happened in the original. I guess you can call this an incontinuity reboot in the same way the 2009 Star Trek was.

So now we're off to a new Final Fantasy game that is going to act as a sequel to the "Remake" which will go who-knows-where.

They really made Final Fantasy 7 into a full-blown flushed out universe / multiverse. This is probably a first for the Final Fantasy universe.

Now, now, I do know about Final Fantasy 13 and it also having two parts but it never went this far.

I think that's a good sign. I like the fact that Japanese developers are finally making direct sequels to games and not just a sequel that takes place in an entirely different world that has no relation to the previous one.

I love the Japan game. Especially as of late because they don't care a lot about American trends and values so it's really nice to see them go in this direction, especially with games like the Legend of Heroes/Kiseki series.

We're going to finally know more about the world. Maybe we're going to find out more about Jenova itself.

By the way, wasn't there also a Crisis Core remake just recently? I wonder if we'll see Dirge of Cerberus next? I kind of hope not because that's my favorite spin-off and I like it the way it is already.

So happy to see this and I love multiverse stories. Can't wait to see what they do next.

Wait until you hear about FFX-2
Oh I'm aware that some of the games have spin-offs and sequels that are directly part of the universe. In fact I even gave Crystal Chronicles I mention since all the Crystal Chronicles games take place in the same world.

But I don't think there has been one ass comprehensive and has had as many spin-offs that are in the same universe as Final Fantasy VII.

I didn't even know if this was available on Switch.

71du-LVAGO4-L.jpg

Your thread title doesn't match the conclusion you came to.

every FF game is it's own universe.

FF7 has it's own multiverse with timeline shenanigans.
I'm not very good at communicating what I mean sometimes.

Yes, what I meant is that every Final Fantasy game sort of takes place in their own universe.

But the Final Fantasy 7 universe and spinoff are all connected.

I know there are exceptions like Final Fantasy X and X-2 or the Crystal Chronicles series of games which all take place in the same world.

That's what I meant. Maybe I should just clarify and saying that the Final Fantasy 7 have the most spin-off games compared to the others.

You are a bit late. The AC, BC, CC, DC, EC, and FC of the FF7 saga had been around for decades.
Oh I know about that. Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus and Advent Children have been around for a long while.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I didn't even know if this was available on Switch.

71du-LVAGO4-L.jpg
lmao WTF is this? This is one of the reasons I could never get into these games. The fucking k-pop band and overall stupid character designs. Those dudes are supposed to be soldiers. The enemy armies they faced probably died of laughter seeing half of BTS wanting to fight them.

Last edited:

Lethal01

lmao WTF is this? This is one of the reasons I could never get into these games. The fucking k-pop band and overall stupid character designs. Those dudes are supposed to be soldiers. The enemy armies they faced probably died of laughter seeing half of BTS wanting to fight them.

Wouldn't have it any other way, last thing I want is a generic realistic solider.

Gimme those hot guys with tons of zippers and crazy costumes please and thank you.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Can't judge a book by its cover
Remember this man was a super spy killing machine

Classic Film Dracula GIF by Warner Archive

Wait that makes perfect sense need a better example

Last edited:
I used to think the same. The characters look so fucking stupid with their emo hair and huge swords. couldn't take it seriously

but have you seen the female characters?

tifa_wallpaper_1080x1920.jpg
ff2e33b5143d1526401e41c6504d016d.jpg

iu
iu

i know it's sad but that's the only reason i played VII remake and it's still the only FF game i like and no not because of Tifa/Aerith. the game is actually really good and i went and played the OG vii and loved it.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I used to think the same. The characters look so fucking stupid with their emo hair and huge swords. couldn't take it seriously

but have you seen the female characters?

tifa_wallpaper_1080x1920.jpg
ff2e33b5143d1526401e41c6504d016d.jpg

i know it's sad but that's the only reason i played VII remake and it's still the only FF game i like and no not because of Tifa/Aerith. the game is actually really good and i went and played the OG vii and loved it.
I did try FF VII Remake and dropped it after the first two hours. Just didn't grab me. Didn't like the combat, world, story, characters, or anything else.

FF XVI does look like it might interest me though but I don't have a PS5. Plus, I hear the combat on regular difficulty is pretty braindead and that you have to beat the game once to unlock the harder mode. At that point, I might as well just wait for the PC version and unlock the harder mode with a mod. Don't feel like having to play the game twice to experience the full extent of its combat system which I hear is very good but painfully easy to the point you can almost beat it by repeatedly pushing the same button.

I did try FF VII Remake and dropped it after the first two hours. Just didn't grab me. Didn't like the combat, world, story, characters, or anything else.

FF XVI does look like it might interest me though but I don't have a PS5. Plus, I hear the combat on regular difficulty is pretty braindead and that you have to beat the game once to unlock the harder mode. At that point, I might as well just wait for the PC version and unlock the harder mode with a mod. Don't feel like having to play the game twice to experience the full extent of its combat system which I hear is very good but painfully easy to the point you can almost beat it by repeatedly pushing the same button.
Fair enough, if it didn't do anything for you then it's not for you. Some bits of it are still cringe. Like why the fuck are big chickens the main mode of transport? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I've tried many FF games but I can't get into them. The only ones I enjoyed are VII Remake and OG. I was going to buy XVI but it looks fucking stupid. The only FF game I plan on buying is VII Rebirth.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I didn’t rush out and preorder X-2 when that was a thing. I had preordered and finished X in the first week of its release. It was the first Final Fantasy on PS2. I felt the same with XIII-2 and LR. It was too much. The multi disc PS1 games had enough content and the 2D games had enough content in the 30+ hour adventure. I didn’t feel like it needed anything else. I had finished Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus. While they looked cool, they didn’t add anything to my enjoyment. VII Remake didn’t finish the story. Once VII Remake ends, that’s all the enjoyment I will get out of it. I don’t need sub games. Their FFVII battle royal game tanked hard until it was shutdown. Stuff like that isn’t what the fan in me wants. That’s just using the name to sell another type of genre. They might as well license their skins to Fortnite and leave it alone.

The mainline stuff is interesting, but they should stick to something like the Ivalice games. I’d rather have that than some weird side story.

I think the issue with the FFVII spinoffs is that they keep trying to actually tie them to the main plot of FFVII, which might work once or twice but eventually it gets so fucking idiotic it is impossible to take seriously. If they instead took the Ivalice route, where games are in the universe but don't actually intersect, they would probably have a lot more success. I mean, why the hell isn't there some FFVII game that takes place entirely in Wutai or Junon or something with a self contained story that has absolutely no connection to any person or event from FFVII? There is so much interesting stuff in the FFVII world that exists outside the main plot.

Boneless

So far it's raping what made the original ff7 so good. It's milking the cow and I cant blame them, but no extension or remake comes close to the splendor of the original, the original is art, the rest is hollywood.

I am going to buy a switch OLED to replay original FF7 soon.

Lethal01

So far it's raping what made the original ff7 so good. It's milking the cow and I cant blame them, but no extension or remake comes close to the splendor of the original, the original is art, the rest is hollywood.

I am going to buy a switch OLED to replay original FF7 soon.

Remake has far more fun and interesting combat, as well as far better characters.
The original can't compare.

Catphish

Given its success, it never made any sense to me they never did a proper sequel using the same game mechanics.

An actual remaster, for modern-day hardware, of the original FF7, would make me so fucking happy.

Rush2112

Banned
never played the original. Played the remake a couple of weeks ago and the story made me want to vomit. I only finished it just to see what happens but it even got more confusing and nonsensical. As a newcomer, FUCK this IP forward and back. They can take that 2 disc sequel and shove it up their asses wouldnt play it even if they explained everything, which I KNOW they won’t.

Last edited:

Neff

It would be more accurate to say that FFVII has become its own franchise, and that happened some time ago.

kiphalfton

How is it its own universe if it's all pretty much the same thing? Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, and Advent Children all have common characters.

It's mainly just a continuation of the same core characters. I mean that's like saying Resident Evil has its own universe. No, it just has different characters in each game, with some overlap.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
OP, you really need to play Final Fantasy 14. It’s an MMO, but it’s the most fleshed out and comprehensive universe Square has ever created. And it’s not even close. If you enjoy worldbuilding, it has it in spades.

With it being an ongoing game, it’s ever-expanding. The side quests throughout exist entirely for the purpose of explaining the lore of the region you take them in, minor character relationships within that region, and so on.

Alex11

Most Final Fantasy games just exist as a one-off and then the next Final Fantasy game will be completely unrelated to the previous one.

Yes, I know there's some exceptions like the Crystal Chronicles games that I'll take place in the same world.

One exception to that is Final Fantasy VII.

I can't remember how many spin-offs there are now but I'll take place in the Final Fantasy 7 universe. So, when you go back you have the Final Fantasy 7 game, Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core and the anime Advent Children.

But now we're expanding beyond that.

People thought Final Fantasy 7 remake was just going to be a literal remake but it turns out it wasn't.

Spoilers Ahead....

But as it turns out, it's in the same universe but with time travel just changing what happened in the original. I guess you can call this an incontinuity reboot in the same way the 2009 Star Trek was.

So now we're off to a new Final Fantasy game that is going to act as a sequel to the "Remake" which will go who-knows-where.

They really made Final Fantasy 7 into a full-blown flushed out universe / multiverse. This is probably a first for the Final Fantasy universe.

Now, now, I do know about Final Fantasy 13 and it also having two parts but it never went this far.

I think that's a good sign. I like the fact that Japanese developers are finally making direct sequels to games and not just a sequel that takes place in an entirely different world that has no relation to the previous one.

I love the Japan game. Especially as of late because they don't care a lot about American trends and values so it's really nice to see them go in this direction, especially with games like the Legend of Heroes/Kiseki series.

We're going to finally know more about the world. Maybe we're going to find out more about Jenova itself.

By the way, wasn't there also a Crisis Core remake just recently? I wonder if we'll see Dirge of Cerberus next? I kind of hope not because that's my favorite spin-off and I like it the way it is already.

So happy to see this and I love multiverse stories. Can't wait to see what they do next.
FFVII Remake was a weird game for me, I didn't finish any FF prior to this, I only started FFXIII and FFXV, and just couldn't get into them at all, so I decided to give this one a last chance, and something just clicked.

I previously knew a bit about OG FFVII, story, characters, etc., but just the big picture, no ending or too much stuff, so I went in this like a new game and for the life of me, can't know exactly what I like so much about it.

It may be that low tech retro futuristic setting, the characters, and generally I don't like jrpg characters, maybe the story, it seems a bit easier to follow that other FF's.

I liked Cloud, even though he has the emotional range of a bag of rocks, one thing that I really liked was the music and the main antagonist, that is a cool character.

After I finished it went and watched a recap of the OG FF and I thought it was really interesting and unique what they did with the remake and I'm really curious about where they go from here.

Top Bottom