• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series coming to PS4 and Switch (Spring 2023)

PhaseJump

Banned
These games are barely acceptable on PC. You can mod the files to fix the font. The UI is still a lot like the mobile ports. I doubt the console versions will let you fix anything.

If anybody is looking for something like the old Final Fantasy games, they should check out and hope for ports of Crystal Project

spookyfish

This gets announced at 11pm here (after I've gone to bed), then I wake up at 6am to see the news, only to also see the physical Switch copy is sold out.

Fuck you, Square Enix.
It was "waiting list" within two hours or less of this notification. I saw the NeoGAF post like 20 minutes after it was posted, and it was already gone. But that ANNIVERSARY edition is available!! (Nope)

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Not only is it $75, but they're charging $25 for shipping. Overall it comes to over $100. A complete and total price gouge.

And the shipping for the Anniversary Edition is cheaper than the standard in case you were wondering if there was a chance that they weren't totally making up these charges on their own just to rip you off. Fuck SE.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
This.

Ain't no way, boy ain't no FUCKING WAY lol

I'll except 59.99.

75? Are they on fucking crack? lol Square just don't give fuck theses days. Not even in a steelbook, its not even 1-XII, never mind they fucking remastered 7-12, yet they have the nerve to charge this of PART of a collection? smh.

@Velcro Fly True. I wanted to get it, but that is just waaaay too much for such a remaster. I love the versions I already own and I'll just find some used version along the way or buy it another time or something.

Wait for sale.

spookyfish

Not only is it $75, but they're charging $25 for shipping. Overall it comes to over $100. A complete and total price gouge.

And the shipping for the Anniversary Edition is cheaper than the standard in case you were wondering if there was a chance that they weren't totally making up these charges on their own just to rip you off. Fuck SE.
AND as someone said, it seems they charge you for it immediately. No thanks.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
They are not charging for this immediately but they generously give you the OPTION to secure your pre-order.

At least...that's uh...what a friend told me.

iARLlaa.png

nocsi

Quantities will be extremely limited, so be sure to preorder before it sells out.

*announces on a Sunday at 1am EST and opens pre-orders immediately with no prior notice*

Probably will wait for the 50th anniversary.

Gambit2483

Seriously. I refuse to buy anything digitally on the Switch if there is a physical version available. So I guess I'm not buying these on Switch.
There's a waiting list which suggests they are going to have another preorder run.

Hopefully they don't charge immediately for a preorder. That practice is complete bs.

Trust me if the physical edition sells well, you will See Mass market physical editions for holiday 2023 on store shelves.

Same with P3&P4 combo pack

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Does anyone know what the script for these is based on?
Is it essentially ports of the GBA titles - or are these all new translations?

begotten

Those physical prints do not look good whatsoever. I pretty much have every Final Fantasy game boxed for SNES/GB/GBA/NDS/NGC and that collector's edition will look like something from Etsy if I put it with them.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: TLZ
These pixel remasters are only worthy after you mod the font, some elements of the interface and fix the framerate. The vanilla version just sucks!

Needlecrash

Such a fucked up situation. Square Enix gave very little to notice about the collection and by the time it was made available, IT FUCKING SOLD IT. NEVER HAD A CHANCE. $75 is kinda steep....but the $24 shipping charges, minus tax, is absurd.

The ONLY place you can even get the Collectors Edition now is from Nin Nin Game.

Last edited:
$75 USD plus $25 shipping for this collection is absurd. The NES games are more of a curiosity than something actually worth playing these days anyways. I'll just grab the digital releases of the SNES games and call it a day.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
$260 for the Anniversary Bundle. If I didn't already own many of these titles in various other forms I think I might get it as a show piece in the office. Still, a little tempting.

Gambit2483

Just preordered on Play-Asia as well. Yeah it's still $75 but with the code WARIO (and some coins I saved up) it was much less than what it would've been from SquareEnix's site.

They probably thought it wasn't worth the porting costs. I mean, they have the data of their previous multiplatform releases and maybe Xbox owners just don't buy those kinds of games from them.

None of these FF games have ever been on Xbox so I can understand their decision.

alf717

Cheaper to ship from Hong Kong then within the US? It also seems to be arriving before the US release. It was also easy to grab a copy. Man SquareEnix USA botched this.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Also ordered a copy from Play Asia. Square Enix USA absolutely screwed up with this release.

Elysion

Banned
75$? That‘s 12.50 per game (and let‘s be honest, FF 1-3 aren’t really worth playing anymore, they‘re just there to make it look like it‘s a good deal; its only with part 4 that these games started to get worthwhile stories). I remember when downloadable PS1 games on the PS store on PS3 cost just 5.99€, while PS2 games were 12.99€ or something. And those games were much more recent back then than these old FF games are for us today. I know that these are ‚remasters‘, unlike the PS1 and PS2 games we could buy on PSN, but still…

But my real problem with this is that, instead of SE re-releasing their 2d FF games for the millionth time, I wish they‘d continued making 3d remakes of those games instead. Why are FF3 and 4 the only ones who got this treatment? Imagine how awesome 3d femakes of FF5 and 6 on the DS or 3DS would‘ve been! Are we ever gonna see remakes like those again? The fact that FF9 is apparently getting remade gives me some hope in this regard; I would love to see a FF6 remade from the ground up with pre-rendered backgrounds and detailed 3d character models, like Capcom‘s RE1 remake.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Is this a real question? Asides from it having better/improved everything? Better graphics, story/storytelling, music, world/characters, even the gameplay system is deeper. It's just better in about every way possible.

Indeed. Never got a chance to play it. Heard many good things about this entry. Thanks for your response

Thabass

I've heard FF6 is the best. What are the reasons for that? =)
I think a lot of it has to do with the flexibility of the cast of characters and what they offer. Each character has their own set of actions and then you add the Esper abilities and relics...and man, it's super customizable. Maybe even more customizable than even FFVII and that game was balls to the wall player friendly.

It also had a great story, tho I do feel like at times it's pacing a was bit off, but still a fun story.

Top Bottom