• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

Azure J

I'm starting to empathize on how the sane Sonic fans feel among their entire fanbase.

LMAO. Wow, never thought of it like this before. Also, I just realized that Shao's also saying that Makoto's a boring design too. :(

There's just something communicated through the movement of herself and the rippling of her gi while sailing through the stage to apply fist to face that makes the "simplicity" of the design work and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Capcom not putting Megaman in MVC3 because they were butt hurt over Inafune leaving is some tin foil hat conspiracy shit.

It was an extremely popular (but absurdly silly) thought/suggestion right around the time of Vanilla Marvel 3's life cycle that was seemingly "confirmed" with no new "Megaman" character (X specifically) when Ultimate dropped.

shaowebb

How was it mocking it when even Inafune loved it? You're starting to sound like one of those insane, entitled Mega Man fans now.

All I know is it did not have the reaction they'd hoped. Folks were very upset over it for why ever it was kept. There is no way Zero and Tron made it in over megaman due to their art being more elaborate though. That's silly. Plus they aren't even that character nor is every robot ever made by default something you immediately think to draw like Megaman. That question was ludicrious in comparison to my complaints on Ryu's karate guy design being generic.

The Daigo Ikeno who did the art of Third Strike drew stuff for SFIV actually and there were a lot of different outfits for Ryu. Some made it in.

WmPi6BB.jpg

I'd like to actually see either bottom lefty or bottom righty used to grow the character's look in the future as a more permanent design but like whatever you like. He needs work though. He has too little with just the gi and bandanna.
LMAO. Wow, never thought of it like this before. Also, I just realized that Shao's also saying that Makoto's a boring design too. :(

There's just something communicated through the movement of herself and the rippling of her gi while sailing through the stage to apply fist to face that makes the "simplicity" of the design work and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Lol...yeah I don't do simple. I was a Mcfarlane and Silvestri based artist. I go in I go in hard. Simple bores me.

Mizerman

People still don't get that they knew classic Mega Man was going to be in Smash 4 at the time SFxT was being made. They weren't going to steal the thunder.

In all fairness, it wasn't hard to steal SFxT's thunder. The circumstances around the game did that for them.

In the case of SFxT's thunder, it's more like if dark clouds slowly appeared in the sky, and a few thunderstorms set off.

Then afterwards, the skies clear up and the world turns.

Anyways, I'm just rambling on.

jerry1594

The Daigo Ikeno who did the art of Third Strike drew stuff for SFIV actually and there were a lot of different outfits for Ryu. Some made it in.

WmPi6BB.jpg

I'd like to actually see either bottom lefty or bottom righty used to grow the character's look in the future as a more permanent design but like whatever you like. He needs work though. He has too little with just the gi and bandanna.
Ikeno did some of the art. Akiman and Kinu Nishimura did a lot of it. Their designs (Necro) and concepts (I think there's some Akiman sketches in the secret file booklet) were far more out there and original than anything here.

Rhapsody

Banned
Capcom not putting Megaman in MVC3 because they were butt hurt over Inafune leaving is some tin foil hat conspiracy shit.

Pretty much. I'm actually really glad we got Tron instead since I never thought she'd get another shot.

Too bad she sucks on point still and doesn't have a godly assist in Ultimate.

I'm going to assume this is her last shot too.

Azure J

Lol...yeah I don't do simple. I was a Mcfarlane and Silvestri based artist. I go in I go in hard. Simple bores me.

For me, it's mostly about motion. When a character looks good in motion or immediately conveys that they'd look good in motion, I'm already sold. That said, I don't have a particular preference for simple or complicated designs, especially as the more you critique a design for something, the more subjective this gets, but simplicity can stand out and really sell itself in the proper contexts.

All I know is it did not have the reaction they'd hoped. Folks were very upset over it for why ever it was kept.

Yes, you made it clear that that's all you know.

Fat Mega Man's debut was during the perfect storm of Capcom hate where everything Capcom did caused a group of people to get outraged. Any other time, Fatty would've been laughed at and then forgotten about. But because they showed him after Legends 3 was mercy-killed and Universe was canned, the insane portion of the Mega Man fanbase took it as a personal attack (like they do with everything) and got pissy about it.
I'm starting to empathize on how the sane Sonic fans feel among their entire fanbase.

thank you

mbpm1

Prepare to learn a second language and prepare to feel like you are learning video games all over again.

I was doing this a few weeks ago. The grind is real. I felt none of my other FG knowledge carried over to Smash.

None of it does. Except when it does.

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate against my own argument for a sec and admit that, although I want character design revamps in SF, not every one done in other franchises has been an improvement.

In these character's cases, I prefer the classic/iconic looks (Left), which have more simplicity and in Sonya's case makes less real world sense for her job, but I prefer them to the new ones.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Ryu is iconic. There are people out there who uses his character as motivation in life. He embodies the whole being a warrior thing. Ryu is SF, SF is Ryu. Don't fix anything that isn't broken. His design is timeless.

ShinMaruku

I want them to change Ryu because Sakura's outfit is fucking terrible and we must destroy traditions that are abominations. :p
I mean look at the cultof the Thuggie, that was 'tradition'. The Englishmen looked at that shit and they smote it.

Really remove that dumb ass school outfit off Sakura and if Cammy has flapjack give her pants

Do you not understand what I said? Yes or no? I said robot templates are different every time you say "draw me a robot". You say karate guy and its Ryu's white gi and black belt with or without a bandanna.

What I said was your comparison makes no sense and that Zero didn't make it in because he was more visually appealing than Megaman. Your argument of "ooh hey I got that shaowebb with this one" makes no sense. I say yes and you say then why did we miss Megaman who was less elaborate? I say no and you say "see you want the original less elaborate design".

I say, you are making a thin argument that anyone can see through. Megaman didn't make it in because he was Inafune's baby and they were butthurt over him leaving and began cancelling anything with his name on it. Inafune left oct 29 2010 and Zero was announced Nov 15 2010. Given that Zero was 2 weeks from being completed and out the door with a trailer he couldn't have been cut if they wanted to reasonably and of course he was chosen because he likely only needed a subdivide and slight model touchup of texturesfrom TvC to have him ready to start animating in the new engine. Tron Bonne was announced sep 16th 2010 back when Inafune was still on board and Mega Man Legends 3 was still in the works and getting pushed.

Could Megaman have been coming? Don't know, but since Zero was very little work to get ready and Bonne was there to promote an upcoming title they took priority first. Do I think had Inafune not left he would have made it in? YES.

So my answer to you is they DID NOT put Zero and Tron in over Megaman. They had them done first and Megaman was vetoed after Oct 29th IMO. Your argument of yes/no is invalid because it was never a question of did one get chosen over him. But hey convince yourself its a yes/no question when all it is a thinly veiled attempt to gotcha me. I know my facts. Apples and oranges here. Megaman has way more distinctiveness than a karate gi. Trying to act like he didn't make it in MVC3 though because more elaborate designed Megaman characters existed though is silly and makes no sense.

You're not going to answer the question are you? I'm asking you to put your opinion on aesthetics aside and look at with a different perspective on character value.

anyway
The Superman = Ryu comparison is off. Superman's character doesn't have any appeal to the masses. With Ryu it's the super hardcore nitpicking to the nth degree.

Dahbomb

The Superman = Ryu comparison is off. Superman's character doesn't have any appeal to the masses.
Superman has less appeal to the masses than Ryu? Really now?

Superman is a much bigger icon than Ryu.

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate against my own argument for a sec and admit that, although I want character design revamps in SF, not every one done in other franchises has been an improvement.

In these character's cases, I prefer the classic/iconic looks (Left), which have more simplicity and in Sonya's case makes less real world sense for her job, but I prefer them to the new ones.

I disagree about Raiden, but I haven't seen the classic skins for the other two. They look good.

Azure J

I damn near dropped my laptop outta my hands while moving and watching Fooblat follow up that doom combo with a full screen footdive to reach where Ray's Doom landed. :lol

You said Superman has no appeal to the masses.

You need to explain that because that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Superman's character, not Superman himself.
Raiden looks dumb with all that extra shit on him.

He should look plain and humble, and surprise you with his power and status.

He doesn't need to go around showboating his god status like he's compensating for something.

He's compensating for the fact that he nearly destroyed Earthrealm :p

Top Bottom