• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 27 - Feb 2 | The Power of Gamers

Dahbomb

Well, according to Dustloop, Millia's standing overhead (the kick) is active on frame 18, but doesn't actually hit crouching Sol (due to hitbox) until frame 20. The fastest possible TK Bad Moon (the rolling thing) has 16 frame startup.
I have to keep practicing x_x
If that overhead was 20 frame then I got hit by all those overheads!

Chavelo

Road to EVO Events for 2014 leaked list:

Revelations 2014
Devestation 2014
VxG 2014
Empire Arcadia's TOURNAMENT OF THE LEGENDS (featuring players from Empire Arcadia)
Online Qualifier: The Stream Monster (only the communities from GAF, Reddit, 4chan and Twitch are allowed to enter)

10e0d21.gif

Infinite

Road to EVO Events for 2014 leaked list:

Revelations 2014
Devestation 2014
VxG 2014
Empire Arcadia's TOURNAMENT OF THE LEGENDS (featuring players from Empire Arcadia)
Online Qualifier: The Stream Monster (only the communities from GAF, Reddit, 4chan and Twitch are allowed to enter)

LOL for some reason I thought this was legit initially and I was like "wait that's not right. . ."

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Eventhubs creating Tournament Player and Results database. This is a dope idea. Hope they attach it to people's accounts in the future (and get them verified). I've been talking about this a while, FGC needs these sorts of integrated systems.
• Profile pages for all of the major players in the FGC.
• Ratings for all players, for all tournament fighting games.
• A breakdown of accomplishments.
• Player vs. history. E.g. you can look up what Justin Wong's record is against Daigo, or anyone else in the database.
• Overall win/loss records.
• Win/loss records when using various characters.
• Character usage breakdowns, by player.
• More we'll be announcing in the future.

wait what happened last year?
There was no East Coast qualifier initially, and one only got added later after a ton of uproar.

What do you mean by the bolded?

As far as value goes, is being able to track stats valuable to the competitive scene? Is it something casuals like to do? I think so for both, but enough to go online only? Not sure, but I don't think casuals would be as concerned with online only as the FGC would be.

Simply that if the game is by a big-name company and/or is a well-known IP, more individuals at pretty much every level are going to give it the time of day. More on-the-fence consumers will try it, more reviewers will give it a cursory glance, business heads may look to its success or failure when planning other products, etc.

Stat tracking could be valuable to competitive heads and to even casuals; the NFL is an easy mark for this. Plenty of people like to see stuff like representation lists and tier lists; Dahbomb's tournament perf. tracking for example gets a lot of attention in FGC-GAF.
EDIT: Or like that eventhubs database that I probably won't get to see because I don't know if Akuma is a weak character.

Also, if a program is good enough at observing trends in a player's personal stats, hypothetically it could then put that information to use if that player wants to train and improve. I think that is a possibly big step to making the genre more accessible; that is, making the 'lab' an accessible concept to people who don't know where to even start.

I'm not sure if any of that justifies always-online though. I'd say it doesn't, since none of it really says "this is why I always need the Internet to operate". It's a harder argument to make than the one RTSes and MOBAs have to make; MOBA-type games were essentially birthed on a perpetually-online platform, and no company that makes fighting games today(even Capcom) has the clout Blizzard exercised when it killed the option of offline LAN play starting with SC2 and got away with it.

I think that if you're making an always-online FG, right now this means that you are simply not targeting the same audience traditional FGs are. Obviously there is some overlap, but it isn't the same thing.

Dahbomb

Eventhubs creating Tournament Player and Results database. This is a dope idea. Hope they attach it to people's accounts in the future (and get them verified). I've been talking about this a while, FGC needs these sorts of integrated systems.

There was no East Coast qualifier initially, and one only got added later after a ton of uproar.

This is cool. People like to hate on Eventhubs but at least they are trying something with their tier, lists, rankings etc. Its easy to criticize but hard to do yourself.

In other news it seems that Chi-Rithy has also been selected for ESGN season 2. So thus far we have the following roster:

Sanford, KBrad, Chi-Rithy Infiltration/Tokido.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Eventhubs is still mindbogglingly terrible.

That is literally the script I need to enable to get the site working. What the fuck is wrong with you Eventhubs? Seriously. Fuck you.

Looks like a pretty happening FGTV stream tonight. They're doing rotating FT4 sets.

Champ is talking about doing a FT15 vs Cloud at SCR.

Who does Cloud face that has a Magneto? I know Paradigm has a solid Dorm/Doom but not with the setups/damage that Champ has. But then again, lol, Zero.

edit; sorry, meant to edit, not doublepost.

The current Final Fantasy Dissidia tier list:

tNzlFkO.png

I'm actually shocked Onion Knight is where he is, since he was rock bottom in the previous game and early in 012's life.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kttcolisalute

Looks like a pretty happening FGTV stream tonight. They're doing rotating FT4 sets.

Champ is talking about doing a FT15 vs Cloud at SCR.
Yeah this is actually pretty good right now.

The current Final Fantasy Dissidia tier list:

tNzlFkO.png

I'm actually shocked Onion Knight is where he is, since he was rock bottom in the previous game and early in 012's life.
Yep, that's what I expected a FF tier list to look like in visual form.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Guys I done goof, i screwed up my medical school application for my university. I spelled my name wrong and wrote a prompt (explain a listed "professional experience" from your list above which clearly indicated to leave out high school stuff) on an internship that happened in high school and it clearly stated to refrain mentioning stuff from high school. Way off topic on my end.... I just needed to let that out and cope with my screw up.

Warpticon

This is cool. People like to hate on Eventhubs but at least they are trying something with their tier, lists, rankings etc. Its easy to criticize but hard to do yourself.

It's more or less what Tonamento tried to do before Damdai "fixed" it to the point that no one used it anymore.

S++ tier?

WTF is this non sense!

Ultimecia has next to no negative qualities whatsoever, unless you think a slow air dash is bad. She's a pure zoner who happens to have the best options in the game.

- She can stay in the air for as long as she wants and isn't limited to her jump height. She can also glide around so she has no fear of being stationary.
- She has the equivalent to Aegis Reflector and Hidden Missiles, with no drawbacks to either of them (aside from only being able to have one AR up at a time). And in the case of AR, she can continuously set it up and not have to worry about it being brute-forced since only a handful of characters have the capability of breaking it. And the attacks that CAN break through it are very slow and leave you wide-open to be attacked.
- Her HP attacks deal damage in a huge area, and can either home in on you or create a vacuum effect to close you in.

And even if you somehow manage to get through all of that and land a hit, she can escape a bad situation with the game's assist mechanic which lets you sacrifice your assist to flee to safety (it's like a Burst mechanic, except you get sent flying instead of the opponent).

If anything, I'm shocked that she's not S+++.

vocab

Guys I done goof, i screwed up my medical school application for my university. I spelled my name wrong and wrote a prompt (explain a listed "professional experience" from your list above which clearly indicated to leave out high school stuff) on an internship that happened in high school and it clearly stated to refrain mentioning stuff from high school. Way off topic on my end.... I just needed to let that out and cope with my screw up.

It's cool. School sucks ass.

Ultimecia has next to no negative qualities whatsoever, unless you think a slow air dash is bad. She's a pure zoner who happens to have the best options in the game.

- She can stay in the air for as long as she wants and isn't limited to her jump height. She can also glide around so she has no fear of being stationary.
- She has the equivalent to Aegis Reflector and Hidden Missiles, with no drawbacks to either of them (aside from only being able to have one AR up at a time). And in the case of AR, she can continuously set it up and not have to worry about it being brute-forced since only a handful of characters have the capability of breaking it. And the attacks that CAN break through it are very slow and leave you wide-open to be attacked.
- Her HP attacks deal damage in a huge area, and can either home in on you or create a vacuum effect to close you in.

And even if you somehow manage to get through all of that and land a hit, she can escape a bad situation with the game's assist mechanic which lets you sacrifice your assist to flee to safety (it's like a Burst mechanic, except you get sent flying instead of the opponent).

If anything, I'm shocked that she's not S+++.

so more broken than Meta Knight? :p

Astarte

Yep, that's what I expected a FF tier list to look like in visual form.

Choked on my water, the worst feeling

It's fine man. Just hold yourself up and have infinite amounts of hope and plan B's.

Top Bottom