• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake Ultimania Information (Spoilers)

YukiOnna

A lot of these blurbs from Ultimania looks like it's just us going through the process of trying to figure it out in written form more than providing any real information, lol
That's Ultimania in a nutshell hahaha. They just verify info but leaving it in the form of a question to "tease" what comes next. Thankfully the interview stuff verifies what is "teased". That twitter user said they'll be translating more of the actual interview and character profiles now that they have their hand on the book.

Last edited:

Dark Oni

so the waiting game begins get ready for fmv trailers starting from 2022 to 2024 or 2025 when the 2nd part releases.
"please be excited"

Vawn

Banned
Huh? The entire point of that scene was that Zack ended up living because fate got changed. So there's no way he's going to be dead going forward in the series. It'll just be a question of how they express and resolve the paradoxical elements of it. There's two ways I can see it occurring.

I mean Zack is dead in the reality of FF7R's timeline. That is the whole point of the different breed of dogs - they are in different realities. Clearly, that scene states there is another alternate timeline/universe where he lives.

Maybe future episodes will see characters crossing timelines. Seems incredibly obtuse for what is billed a remake.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Part 3-5 of the Staff Interview:
vb0Ml12.jpg

OIP8G2P.jpg

wiGbSJ3.jpg

WnLJRiT.jpg

P9gMe74.jpg

YukiOnna

I was pretty okay with Sephiroth's apperances, however I would have liked if we didn't have to battle the Whispers and they were strictly cutscenes or non combat blockades. Engaging them as a boss was a pain.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
knowing kill something for me ...
cloud was in shinra army at 14-15 ?

16. And its really not that weird relative to most of human history. Lots of teenage guys were sent to war heh even today we have ROTC for 17 year olds.

Sub_Level

so he stayed in shinra like 3 month ?

There was a year or two (we'll say 18 months) between the flashback water tower scene with Tifa and Cloud's return to Nibelheim. So yea he coulda been 15 at some point but not for long.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I translated the part about Sephiroth's many appearances in-game and what form they take, because that part was interesting to me, and I didn't see anyone else do it yet. I did it kinda quickly so there might be errors, and I also didn't play the Japanese version so there might be specific terminology that I'm missing out on. Shouta Shouta if you see any mistakes please let me know haha

IllusionAn illusion of Sephiroth that only Cloud can see
黒マントBlack HoodBlack hooded man that has the appearace of SephirothSentences in bold* are the literal translations of the statements from Japanese
回想Recollection/MemoryPast Sephirothwhen they do not match up exactly with the English localization
??????Not a black hooded man, but an existance that is perceived as Sephiroth by Cloud and the others.

CHAPTER場所 (Location JPN)LOCATIONFormExplanation (JPN)Explanation (EN)
2八番街市街地Sector 8 NeighborhoodIllusion八番街と炎に包まれニブルヘイムが重なって見えたときに出現Cloud sees Sephiroth when Sector 8 burns like Nibelheim did
2八番街市街地Sector 8 NeighborhoodIllusionクラウドがエアリスと出会ったときに出現Cloud sees Sephiroth when he meets Aerith
3七番街スラムの天望荘Sector 7 Slum Stargazer HeightsBlack Hoodクラウドが隣人のマルカート(ナンバー49)をセフィロスと誤認Cloud mistakes Marco (No.49) for Sephiroth
4七番街スラムの天望荘Sector 7 Slum Stargazer HeightsIllusionクラウドが就寝中にセフィロスの声を幻聴として聞くCloud hears Sephiroth's voice as an auditory hallucination while sleeping
8伍番街スラムの教会Sector 5 Slum ChurchIllusionクラウドの意識のなかに現れ、「 私はお前の主人だ」と呼びかけるSephiroth appears in Cloud's consciousness and says,
"I'm your everything". "I'm your master"*
8伍番街スラムの子供達の秘密基地Sector 5 Slum Kids' HideoutBlack Hoodクラウドが黒マントの男(ナンバー2)をセフィロスと誤認Cloud mistakes a black hooded man (No.2) for Sephiroth
13六番街スラムの七六街道Sector 6 Slums, 7-6 HighwayMemoryエアリスの家へ向かう道中、クラウドが「われこそ古代種の血を引きし者」
と言っていたセフィロスを思い出す
On the way to Aerith's house, Cloud remembers Sephiroth saying,
"Within my veins flows the blood of Ancients."
13六番街スラムの七六街道Sector 6 Slums, 7-6 HighwayIllusion上記の回想の直後、クラウドに「喪失がお前を強くする」と語りかけるImmediately following the above memory, Sephiroth tells Cloud that "But through
suffering, you will grow strong". "Loss will make you strong"*
16神羅ビル61階のビジュアルフロアShinra HQ 61st Floor
Visual Entertainment Hall
Illusion映像の最後に出現。バレットやティファには見えていない(途中で映像が切れた)Sephiroth appears to Cloud at the end of the video presentation. He is not visible to
Barret and Tifa (the video cuts out prematurely)
16神羅ビル69階の廊下Shinra HQ 69th Floor HallwayBlack Hoodパルマーとすれちがう。 黒マントの男(ナンバー49)が、
ジェノバ細胞の作用によりセフィロスに見えていた
Due to the effect of Jenova cells, black hood man No. 49
takes on the appearance of Sephiroth and passes by Palmer
16神羅ビル66階のエレベーター前Shinra HQ 66th Floor
in front of the Elevator
Memory厳密には、意識が朦朧とするなかで声が聞こえるのみ。
語られる内容はセフィロスがニブル魔晄炉で話していたもの
To be exact, Cloud hears a voice while experiencing a hazy flashback of
Sephiroth talking at the Nibelheim reactor ("Mother, together we will..." scene)
17鑼牟最上層のジェノバポッド前The Drum, in front of
the JENOVA Pod
Black Hood クラウドたちと対峙。これ以降は、ジェノバ細胞の作用により、
クラウド以外にもセフィロスに見えるようになる
Conrtontation with Cloud and the others. From now on, due to the effects of
Jenova cells, black hood man also looks like Sephiroth to the rest of the party.
17鑼牟最上層のジェノバポッド前The Drum, in front of
the JENOVA Pod
Black Hoodジェノバを抱えて移動している姿が、監視カメラ映像に映るA figure carrying JENOVA is seen on the surveillance video camera
17神羅ビル70階の社長室Shinra HQ 70th Floor
President's Office
Black Hoodプレジデントを刺殺して、ジェノバBeatに変貌するHe kills President Shinra, and transforms into
JENOVA Dreamweaver
17神羅ビル70階の社長室Shinra HQ 70th Floor
President's Office
Black Hood黒マントの男(ナンバー2)がジェノパを回収したのち、屋上から飛び降りて逃亡A black hooded man (No.2) recovers JENOVA and then jumps off of the rooftop.
18ミッドガル・ハイウェイMidgar HighwayIllusionハイウェイの終端にたどり着いたクラウドの前に出現Sephiroth appears to Cloud after they arrive at the end of the highway.
18ミッドガル・ハイウェイMidgar Highway???クラウドたちを運命の壁の先へといざなうSephiroth beckons the party to change destiny. (The JPN text refers to Sephiroth's
portal as "destiny's wall", but in the EN version, they just talk about changing fate)
18運命の特異点Crossroads of Destiny???クラウドたちと戦うSephiroth fights Cloud and the rest of the party
18世界の先端Edge of Creation???ともに運命にあらがうようクラウドに呼びかける。ちなみに、このときのセフィロスの一人称は、
5年前にジェノバに会う前のセフィロスと同じ「俺」になっている(ふだんは「私」)。
Sephiroth calls to Cloud, with whom he defied destiny. Interestingly, this Sephiroth
refers to himself with a different first person pronoun in the Japanese text, which is
more like the Sephiroth before the Nibelheim incident. "watashi" vs "ore"

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Thanks for this. So '???' is the supposed Original Sephiroth given his change in pronoun and comments.
Maybe? There's not enough information to make a definite conclusion. It's more or less a mystery at this point as to what you fought at the end of the game that looked and sounded like Sephiroth. Could be a past version. Could be a future version. Could be something else entirely. Does Aerith know? She sounds like she does, but she doesn't elaborate.

YukiOnna

Maybe? There's not enough information to make a definite conclusion. It's more or less a mystery at this point as to what you fought at the end of the game that looked and sounded like Sephiroth. Could be a past version. Could be a future version. Could be something else entirely. Does Aerith know? She sounds like she does, but she doesn't elaborate.
Yeah, it's more the assumption I'm going with based on Aerith's comments and Sephiroth's at the end and what plays out at the edge of creation. Everything up until that point was either an illusion, memory, or Jenova based so the difference had been established. Nonetheless, The change in how he refers to himself and demeanor differing from the others is very interesting.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, it's more the assumption I'm going with based on Aerith's comments and Sephiroth's at the end and what plays out at the edge of creation. Everything up until that point was either an illusion, memory, or Jenova based so the difference had been established. Nonetheless, The change in how he refers to himself and demeanor differing from the others is very interesting.
Yeah, it's an interesting thing that only really comes across in the Japanese text. I haven't yet done a playthrough in Japanese audio so I didn't notice. It makes me wonder if there are any cues in the English dialog that is a reference to how he spoke in the past, pre-Nibelheim.

YukiOnna

Yeah, it's an interesting thing that only really comes across in the Japanese text. I haven't yet done a playthrough in Japanese audio so I didn't notice. It makes me wonder if there are any cues in the English dialog that is a reference to how he spoke in the past, pre-Nibelheim.
I played it in JP audio, but it wasn't something I focused on. Will be fun on the hard mode replay to see everything with a new perspective. I just wish the localization wasn't so free at times, because I'm hearing something different from what I'm reading, lol. Oh well.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I just wish the localization wasn't so free at times, because I'm hearing something different from what I'm reading, lol. Oh well.
It's always tricky with that kind of thing, so I sympathize with the localizers and tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. Their job isn't necessarily to do a direct translation, but to adapt the words to a different language and culture and perhaps form metaphors, allusions, and references that might resonate with that culture more than the original Japanese words. As long as I feel the general emotion is conveyed properly, and that the prose sounds natural in English, I think that's a job well done.

YukiOnna

That's true!
Anyways Part 6 of the interview has been translated by Audrey. Covering the various mysteries set up or left unexplained, which get an expected "Stay tuned for the next title"
q8dMuR4.jpg

AKQdbwd.jpg

YukiOnna

The last segment of the interview has been translated thanks to Audrey! They talk about how while things will differ and go in its own direction, FF7 is still FF7 and you can expect those locations/scenes to make it in some way. They are also reading fan theories/speculation.

NGWesjw.jpg

YoEu9o4.jpg

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Nice.

I personally wouldn't mind if they did smaller chunks like how the first game was the Midgar arc. Kind of sad Nomura's comment implies they got no break and just moved straight to the sequel lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nice.

I personally wouldn't mind if they did smaller chunks like how the first game was the Midgar arc. Kind of sad Nomura's comment implies they got no break and just moved straight to the sequel lol
Yeah, I hope Squeenix can allocate more resources to the team without diluting quality. It seems the devs have a lot of passion and motivation for their work, so I wish them the best.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
awesome stuff.

i almost feel like, with all the "you make your own destiny" talk towards the end, they may lean towards a split story.

imagine a game which is divided in two, the second half taking place after Aerith's death. only you can actually save her and experience and entirely different story if you do.

would be pretty dope.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
awesome stuff.

i almost feel like, with all the "you make your own destiny" talk towards the end, they may lean towards a split story.

imagine a game which is divided in two, the second half taking place after Aerith's death. only you can actually save her and experience and entirely different story if you do.

would be pretty dope.
It would be funny if saving her gets you an even worse ending lol.

YukiOnna

It would definitely hammer the whole "I choose my own path" and that happiness is worth it to some. They painted the overall end of OG as a "bad end" in a way, too.

Sub_Level

It would definitely hammer the whole "I choose my own path" and that happiness is worth it to some. They painted the overall end of OG as a "bad end" in a way, too.

In this game they did. But in the original I interpreted the ending as somber rather than outright bad. The planet reclaimed Midgar and the fate of the human population at large is ambiguous, but at least Sephiroth was stopped.

In a series full of happily-ever-afters, VII stands out in a good way.

YukiOnna

Next part of the Ultimania interview is translated by Audrey. This time it's with Co-Director's Hamaguchi and Toriyama and Battle Director Teruki Endo. They reiterate the sequel is in pre-production, talk about how to properly depict the open world of Gaia, and other things:
VwChHLF.jpg

Dark Oni

Next part of the Ultimania interview is translated by Audrey. This time it's with Co-Director's Hamaguchi and Toriyama and Battle Director Teruki Endo. They reiterate the sequel is in pre-production, talk about how to properly depict the open world of Gaia, and other things:
VwChHLF.jpg

pre-production, stages of planning, nothing solid etc.:messenger_unamused:(this should have been done a while back even a year) clearly shows the lack of direction and vision for this project. i give up on these incompetent fools bring on FF16 (minus nomura) i'll take my chances on that at least it will be new and hopefully a full game upon release.

Last edited:

fallingdove

awesome stuff.

would be pretty dope.

Yeah... They’re not doing that.

Square struggled to get this first 25 hours put together in 5 years time. And the 25 hours they put together was as padded as it possibly could be. Chapters 13 and 14 would have been optional side quests in any other game. I am not expecting the next installment to be any less linear than the first, and there is no way that SE are capable enough to pull off a branching storyline.

As I have been playing through on hard, I have come to realize that the parts I thought were good were average by most standards, just much better than I typically expect from SE. You compare FF7 remake to any WRPG from the last 10 years and the game becomes woefully lacking in the content/freedom/optional content department.

caffeware

Banned
"Ah, yeah, we have to figure how the world map will work."
What!? :messenger_hushed:

How do Unreal Engine performs in open world games?

I still believe they will drastically cut content. Is just not feasible at the pace they are moving.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Remember it only just started to get a full team behind them. Much of the staff were still working on the first game.

I still don't think they'll be doing open world, though, Something more akin to Xenoblade1/2 is my guess.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I have a gut feeling this Aerith is a time traveler, meaning she got stuck in the lifestream in the OG FFVII and suddenly went back in time to correct things.

Then suddenly the final boss is Aerith.

Pansy

While I haven't been able to play the game yet due to budgetary reasons, this redux of One Winged Angel makes me want to go back into credit card debt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom