• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Still cant make sense of what happens in FF7 Remake? Try this video!

TheAssist

Now I know FF7R get a lot of flag for its twist and turns when it comes its story telling and changing things from the original.

I guess most people know by now that Remake isnt so much a remake but actually a sequel. But even after watching lots of videos and discussions about the game, its themes and the connection to all the FF7 related stuff there were still so many things that were hard to explain. Its a bit like science where you can observe certain events or behaviors, you might even be able to explain some of them, but youre missing that one big theory that connects them all and just makes everything click and fall in its place.

This video was helping me a lot with understanding remake. And actually figuring out stuff about the original (e.g. who is talking to cloud during the bombing run or right before seeing Aerith in the church).

Obviously this is not for those who think that the story is too convoluted or that Nomura and friends are up their own arses. Its for those who enjoy digging into theories and connecting dots trying to make sense of all the information that is given over the years in games, books, interviews, ultimanias, trailers, etc. Its a big one.

I am not pretending to understand everything thats going in FF7R or knowing whats going to happen in future installments, but thats part of the fun for me. However this video has cleared up A LOT of thing for me and I know have a much better understanding off most of the things that go on in the game and it was absolutely fascinating to learn all these details.

I hope this thread helps at least one more person to ascend to the level of somewhat understanding what the heck is going on with the whispers, multiple sephiroths, the harbinger of faith, destiny, the flashbacks and headaches, as well as Zacks role in it all.

Have fun!

Lethal01

I felt the remake was pretty simple to understand, but I may have been boiling in Nomura's water for too long, having been VERY into the FFVII Compilation canon since my first time completing the original game almost twenty years ago.

I think everything it told you was pretty clear, it has its share of unanswered questions but not knowing what's gonna happen next is in no way a sign of a bad story.

Lethal01

Now I know FF7R get a lot of flag for its twist and turns when it comes its story telling and changing things from the original.

I guess most people know by now that Remake isnt so much a remake but actually a sequel. But even after watching lots of videos and discussions about the game, its themes and the connection to all the FF7 related stuff there were still so many things that were hard to explain. Its a bit like science where you can observe certain events or behaviors, you might even be able to explain some of them, but youre missing that one big theory that connects them all and just makes everything click and fall in its place.

This video was helping me a lot with understanding remake. And actually figuring out stuff about the original (e.g. who is talking to cloud during the bombing run or right before seeing Aerith in the church).

Obviously this is not for those who think that the story is too convoluted or that Nomura and friends are up their own arses. Its for those who enjoy digging into theories and connecting dots trying to make sense of all the information that is given over the years in games, books, interviews, ultimanias, trailers, etc. Its a big one.

I am not pretending to understand everything thats going in FF7R or knowing whats going to happen in future installments, but thats part of the fun for me. However this video has cleared up A LOT of thing for me and I know have a much better understanding off most of the things that go on in the game and it was absolutely fascinating to learn all these details.

I hope this thread helps at least one more person to ascend to the level of somewhat understanding what the heck is going on with the whispers, multiple sephiroths, the harbinger of faith, destiny, the flashbacks and headaches, as well as Zacks role in it all.

Have fun!

I think this video is great, I don't agree with everything is said or thing it's at all required to understand the story but it's a good compilation of tons of lore that has been officially confirmed by devs, also good for if you want a more indepth understanding/spoilers for what will be explained in future parts.

RCU005

Final Fantasy VII Remake is not a sequel. It's a remake, a retelling. The team wanted to retell the story in a different way and that's why they got the whispers involved. They want people who played the original to be surprised again and not play the exact same thing they did years ago.

It can never be a sequel because a sequel is something that happens after, and the remake is happening instead of. I haven't watched the OP video, but I don't believe that FF7 Remake it's a dream, and suddenly Cloud or someone will wake up and we as players will be playing in a world post-advent children or something like that.

Like I said, they are retelling the story. They put REMAKE in the title, not because it's a remake from the original, but because it has story implications as in RE-DO, RE-START. That's something Nomura explained in an interview. (I'll link to it if I find it).

Boneless

Final Fantasy VII Remake is not a sequel. It's a remake, a retelling. The team wanted to retell the story in a different way and that's why they got the whispers involved. They want people who played the original to be surprised again and not play the exact same thing they did years ago.

It can never be a sequel because a sequel is something that happens after, and the remake is happening instead of. I haven't watched the OP video, but I don't believe that FF7 Remake it's a dream, and suddenly Cloud or someone will wake up and we as players will be playing in a world post-advent children or something like that.

Like I said, they are retelling the story. They put REMAKE in the title, not because it's a remake from the original, but because it has story implications as in RE-DO, RE-START. That's something Nomura explained in an interview. (I'll link to it if I find it).

Thats all well and good, but that's STUPID. Firstly, when you say REMAKE, users expect a REMAKE, not a REDO. Secondly, people didnt ask to be surprised, FFVII is epic because of its storyline, changing that at its core (i.e. other than padding) is STUPID and not what most of us wanted.

Last edited:
Thats all well and good, but that's STUPID. Firstly, when you say REMAKE, users expect a REMAKE, not a REDO. Secondly, people didnt ask to be surprised, FFVII is epic because of its storyline, changing that at its core (i.e. other than padding) is STUPID and not what most of us wanted.
But the storyline is basically the same. If you want the same game just play the remastered version. You’re still getting everything that was was fun abt FFVII but now they get to also toss that terrible meh af ending as well

Boneless

But the storyline is basically the same. If you want the same game just play the remastered version. You’re still getting everything that was was fun abt FFVII but now they get to also toss that terrible meh af ending as well

Bullshit, its not basically the same, its raped by Nomura's Kingdom Heart fandom and the original storyline is screaming out in pain. What about my great Shinra building escape scene? Gone! What about mysterious epic Sephiroth? Gone! I get dumb whispers, an overly presented and weak Sephiroth and a horrible ending back for it.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

That's essentially what's being said by the sequel crowd. The Whispers and Sephiroth and Aerith both having either direct or indirect knowledge of things they shouldn't is indicative to me that these events are occurring in a different plane of reality, parallel but chronologically after the events of the original.

There's plenty of evidence supporting this. The big "theory," that I have is that the Sephiroth you face in VIIR is the Sephiroth who battled Cloud in Advent Children and used the Geostigma. Same level of ascendance, skill, and knowledge.

Points to support this/the sequel theory:

-When Cloud is being controlled by Sephiroth, most notably in Hojo's lab, he's seen clutching his left arm. This is the same arm he develops Geostigma in. Geostigma is the body fighting a high concentration of Jenova cells. The Sephiroth who knows how to utilize Geostigma would totally pull this trick.

-When the party passes through the Singularity, the shot of the party floating above Midgar shows the Mako Reactors with their original print of Japanese characters on the side. You can compare this yourself, in the game proper, they were slightly redesigned. This points to Sephiroth whisking the party away to the setting of the original game for the final battle of Remake.

-The Whispers. One fights unarmed, one with a sword, one with a gun. At first, some assumed these to be proxies of Barret, Cloud, and Tifa, but Nomura has confirmed that they are echoes, or different forms of Kadaj, Yazoo, and Loz. The three Remnants of Sephiroth. A Sephiroth pre-AC wouldn't have the Remnants at his disposal.

There's more, but I'm sounding like I sleep like an anime sex doll already, so I'm ducking out for now.

Last edited:
Bullshit, its not basically the same, its raped by Nomura's Kingdom Heart fandom and the original storyline is screaming out in pain. What about my great Shinra building escape scene? Gone! What about mysterious epic Sephiroth? Gone! I get dumb whispers, and overly presented and weak Sephiroth and a horrible ending back for it.
You got the Cloud girl scene super duper enhanced, the house battle, the Reno Rude fights like there was a lot in there. They did Biggs and Jesse better too

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I'd rather play the original, thanks.

tifa-cloud-ff7-iconic-scene.gif
Such a great scene.

Roxkis_ii

I'm only half way thru, but this video makes clear to me is that this game's story has been clearly over my head. Even after beating the game I wasn't sure what the whispers were about.

Watching this video makes me want to replay the game so I could actually understand the nuances of the story.

Edit:
So I actually just finished the video, and Holy smokes, I was not expecting the last quarter of this video to have me on the edge of my seat with how deep everything ties together.

I have also lost my reasons for replaying the game.

Thank you so much OP for sharing this video. It definitely helped with my understanding of the remake and where it future tiles could be HEADED. Can't wait to see what the second part of the FF7 remake story goes next!

Last edited:

Boneless

You got the Cloud girl scene super duper enhanced, the house battle, the Reno Rude fights like there was a lot in there. They did Biggs and Jesse better too

Yes, those were great enhancement!. Don Corneo scenes were padded out but staying true to what made it so good in the original. But that didnt't happen with the Shinra escape for example, here we went from the renowned scene of escaping the prison with blood smeered on the floor and finding the president witg a masamune in his back, to a kingdom hearts esque piece of garbage where all this is replaced by silly stuff, whilst also ruining Sephiroth as a mysterious character.

Same for the group NOT blowing up the reactor, totally unneccesary change..

Last edited:

TheAssist

Yes, those were great enhancement!. Don Corneo scenes were padded out but staying true to what made it so good in the original. But that didnt't happen with the Shinra escape for example, here we went from the renowned scene of escaping the prison with blood smeered on the floor and finding the president witg a masamune in his back, to a kingdom hearts esque piece of garbage where all this is replaced by silly stuff, whilst also ruining Sephiroth as a mysterious character.

Dude calm down a bit. Its okay not not like something, no one is blaming you.

But you should be aware that a lot of people actually like the changes, because they did want more than just a plain remake. You wanted a plain remake and thats fine and I understand that. Personally I like all the stuff you find very negative. It gives me much more to think about.
The reason FF7 stuck with me for so long was because the story of even just the original was going over my head as a kid. I liked the characters but I had to watch summaries of the whole story and everything that was going on every now and than just to be reminded of how it all fits together. I mean Sephiroth, Jenova, the Cetra, Lucrecia and Vincent, the lifestream, the concept of memories and their manifestation in Cloud... thats already quite a stretch for a "basic story"
Now it just got a bit harder to keep track of everything, since the story spans more than one game.

Sure there is stuff I dont like, e.g. the whole deepground story doesnt really add anything for me and everything about it does not "feel" like FF7, including all the character design in DoC.

However there are certain aspects I really like about the remake story line for example

- somewhat confirmation that Jenova was controlling Sephiroth in the OG, he never really had any free will --> he now wants to retake control and becomes stronger than before. You say we lost the mysterious Sephiroth, I now feel like we got a very mysterious Sephiroth that for the first time is acting on his own will and is unrestrained from Jenova. I like that concept because Jenova always felt a bit detached. She is never really there, its always Jenova cells this and Jenova cells that. But we never see her or hear her. She is just this alien from another world with the only goal to destroy the planet for whatever reason and using Sephiroth as her vessel. Now we have Sephiroth for the first time being himself and being more powerful than ever before. I find that interesting.
- the concept of people living in someone's memories, albeit an abstract concept, it kinda makes sense from a spiritual level
- Destroying Aerith's and especially Zacks influence on Cloud and the guidance they were giving to him, by killing his memories. Clouds story will be super interesting to see in the upcoming games, since Sephiroth will take everything from him. Same goes for Aerith, she has lost a vital connection to the life stream. This promises an even greater focus on characters than in the original, which I love, because thats the true strength of the series.

A lot of people fool themselves by saying that FF7 OG had some straight forward plot that was basic and easy to follow and somehow remake messes with that. When in reality most of these concepts were already well established in the OG (as the video shows), but it wasnt really given much time and explanation, so most people who werent theory crafting just glossed over it. Advent children and now remake go deeper into these concepts like memories and certain aspects of the lifestream. But its not like the devs are making these more abstract and convoluted concepts front and center at all times. They still realize that the characters are what is important in FF7 and they have shown this with the remake. All the other stuff is mainly in chapter 2 and chapter 18, while sprinkled in for a few seconds in other chapters. All the rest is FF7 as we know and love, so I dont get the outcry over it. Enjoy the stuff you like and if you're not into the weird stuff, then just ignore it and try to enjoy the ride with the characters and see how they develop and adapt to the new situation.

MikeM

Speak for yourself. FFVII is hands down my favourite game of all time and I loved every second of this. I love the fact that this feels familiar but also new with plenty of unknowns.

Dynasty8

Not to mention characters like Biggs and Wedge surviving.

It's like "remaking" Game of Thrones, but many of those character's deaths are a farce in the remake....like what...? Makes things much less impactful.

There are many things the remake does great like you mentioned, but Nomura JUST had to mix his obsessive teenage nonsense bullshit into it. As a result, a simple amazing, epic, and complete story has now turned into Kingdom Hearts.

It's annoying because the game has so much good going for it too. I hope we don't see Nomura anywhere near XVI.

TheAssist

Thank you :messenger_sad_relieved:

Its always funny to see how different opinions can be. The only thing that annoys me is that some people dont understand that their opinion is not a fact. There are good reasons to like and dislike the game, but dont pretend like everyone has to cater to your personal taste and that other peoples opinions are invalid.

TheAssist

I love FF7, I absolutely loved remake, and I am all about speculation...

BUT YOU ARE INSANE IF YOU EXPECT ME TO WATCH A NEARLY 3 HOUR VIDEO, OP...
:messenger_blowing_kiss:

What if its worth it though . Also, it has chapters, so you dont need to watch it all in one go

do it

Last edited:

Outlier

I think I understand what SE is doing with the story in FF7R.

To me it's obvious that the events of Original FF7 already happened, but Sephiroth found a way to either redirect "time" or his conscience traveled to another dimension and is trying to do there what he failed to do in the other.

It doesn't really matter, guys. It's a new take on the story and that's good enough for me to want more.

Have fun!

Pretty scummy of Squeenix to call it a sequel whilst leaning on the brand to move units. Garbage company.
You know Nomura fucked up when you need a 3 hours documentary to make sense of what should have been a straightforward ending
Right?! It’s Halo 4 all over again.
I'd rather play the original, thanks.

tifa-cloud-ff7-iconic-scene.gif
Truer and more heartbreaking words have never been spoken.
Yeah, those changes were all horrible. It's worse than fanfics written by teenagers.
Agreed. More to the point, the fact that it’s getting praise just cements the fact that videogame storytelling is still a joke😢

Boneless

I think I understand what SE is doing with the story in FF7R.

To me it's obvious that the events of Original FF7 already happened, but Sephiroth found a way to either redirect "time" or his conscience traveled to another dimension and is trying to do there what he failed to do in the other.

It doesn't really matter, guys. It's a new take on the story and that's good enough for me to want more.

If thats the case, how are we ever able to fend of Sephiroth in the end of parr He should be much to powerful.

Lethal01

If thats the case, how are we ever able to fend of Sephiroth in the end of parr He should be much to powerful.

Well to stay on topic, the video points out that Sephiroth literally exists because of Clouds Memories and goes stronger when he thinks of him.
So the obvious answer would be that sephiroth is just not trying and is only going through the motions to help Cloud remember him and thus grow stronger.

Duchess

Summary: Former employee of evil corporation has three absolute hotties wanting to go to bone town with him, but he's playing it cool and ignoring the lot of them.

Boneless

Well to stay on topic, the video points out that Sephiroth literally exists because of Clouds Memories and goes stronger when he thinks of him.
So the obvious answer would be that sephiroth is just not trying and is only going through the motions to help Cloud remember him and thus grow stronger.

He exists because of Clouds memories? This is what I mean... Kingdom Hearts BS...

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I love Final Fantasy VII remake and I vastly consider it overall a better game than the original but still a question lingers everytime I think about the unnecessary twist plots: "Why?"

Last edited:

Lethal01

Sephiroth does not exist because of Cloud's memories. What are you saying?
Could have phrased that better, I wasn't speaking specifically about that, just that it's nothing that would be out of place in the original FF7.
The lifestream being made of memories and thus people being made of memories was always a major factor, now Sephiroth is tied to Clouds memories specifically. It's a thing that fits naturally in the original games lore. Not saying anyone has to like the original game.

Elios83

Loved the remake, amazing RPG.
Story is pretty much the same as the original except for the ending but at this point there's not much to explain, it's simply unknown where developers want to take the story regarding certain stuff.
I hope they don't fuck it up similarly to KH but I'm happy that it's not 1:1 otherwise it would have been boring.

The last part of the remake ruined my all time favorite game.

Almost everything prior to that were okay in my book except for the flying black sperm and the new anime characters.

Top Bottom