• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

Lothar

Banned
Very mild reactions to people seeing their first zombie. I'm not loving the acting.

That wasn't bad though. Not good either. About like Walking Dead. The previews looked pretty great.

Very mild reactions to people seeing their first zombie. I'm not loving the acting.

That wasn't bad though. Not good either. About like Walking Dead. The previews looked pretty great.

He did kind of clue them in that something was going down though. They were mentally prepared in a way. Not like a person who has had no exposure at all. I'd say the people who were watching the video had realistic reactions.

That was ok.

I know it has been mentioned but: I know they consciously avoid it but if these stories are taking place in realities ostensibly like our own, people should know what zombies are.

They should've at least acted like a person who suffered from a bullet to the chest and isn't responding to questions is someone to avoid.

I was thinking the same thing.

A young Johnny Depp.

He wishes. He's definitely trying.

Boke1879

That was ok.

I know it has been mentioned but: I know they consciously avoid it but if these stories are taking place in realities ostensibly like our own, people should know what zombies are.

But it's still tough to digest. People often seek a logical explanation for these things.

Grisby

Not terrible, but nothing to super write home about. It lacked the atmosphere and Frank D's cinematic eye of episode one of WD, but again, it wasn't terrible. I;ll keep watching.

You know, what I really would like though, and this is for Walking Dead Prime, is for them to actually do a winter season. Man, it could really change the look for a few episodes.

Zombine

Banned
Well, she's a public school faculty member in LA. She's probably seen some shit.

Yeah but...not this.

Not terrible, but nothing to super write home about. It lacked the atmosphere and Frank D's cinematic eye of episode one of WD, but again, it wasn't terrible. I;ll keep watching.

You know, what I really would like though, and this is for Walking Dead Prime, is for them to actually do a winter season. Man, it could really change the look for a few episodes.

It will be arriving in some context.

Kevin

Pilot was alright. Felt really cheap and really slow. So about what I expected from AMC. I'll watch more but so far it's only "ok". 7/10

RPGCrazied

do a winter season

I want this too, sadly that is around holidays, and they would never go through that during that time.

What would you all rate this episode on a 10 scale? I'd probably give it a 7.5.. maybe 8. It wasn't earth shattering, but it could have been a lot worse.

I've wanted this since completing TLoU. They're in Virginia/D.C. now, they should be able to have a season in the winter. But I believe they still shot the show in Georgia, so I don't know.

Effect

This was always going to be a slow start. That's not bad. Not only because it's a pilot but the purpose of the show is different from The Walking Dead. I think the preview for episode 2 gets to why the show is titled the way it is. Looking at a few twitter comments I think some didn't realize that or didn't realize how different it would be. The second episode should be more tense looking at the preview though.

That said I enjoyed the first episode so I'm in for the rest of the season. It's only 6 episodes.

So did we miss the three black fatalities in the last season? Or Season 3's kill a black person replace them with another black person?

Guess you missed the other hundred or so white peoples who have died along with the scores of white zombies all over that are dead. Seems your attention is on that too much.

MilesTeg

Banned
The mother is the weakest of the cast imo. Along with the daughter I guess. Father guy is acceptable (wasn't good during the Calvin zombie scene though). Depp Jr, I didn't like at first but he got better after the hospital setting was over.

Was a pretty weak showing overall.

I really liked it. The characters are all pretty great even the teenagers aren't as bad as I was expecting them to be. I like how we're seeing the zombie apocalypse as it happens setting compared to what they did on the Walking Dead.

I don't get how people thought it was too boring or slow. Were you all expecting there to be zombies and panic half an hour in?

Too early for me to talk about characters at this point besides the brother who the entire episode was centered on for some reason. Guess he is the redemption story of this show. Ex druggie loser who turns it around to be a national hero someday.

I liked the episode though. Fun. Great tension knowing what is around the corner. The preview looked great too

So the people who were saying it's boring, what exactly were you expecting from a show that's about the beginning of the outbreak?

A sense of scale. They started to get it with that school closing / video of cops shooting guy. This felt like nobody other than the main characters knew that dead people were walking around. Actually, most of the episode was making it out like the kid was seeing things because of drugs. I'd almost be inclined to believe it WAS all in his head! Haha.

Effect

The purpose of the show is to show the collapse of organization civilization. I'm curious as to what kind of messed up stuff they're going to be having the military and police doing during this. How people are going to turn on each other as things get worse and worse. What starts to become acceptable and how fast?

A thought for some people that. What we're seeing is everything Rick missed while in his coma. Now it's a question how fast will things escalate. Things started to escalate fast toward the end there and from previews it looks like it's going to pick up speed.

really liked it and then came in here and people are shitting all over it. what a surprise...

thought the johhny depp lookalike character was really good, as was step dad. only dud for me was Calvin.

Just because it's the beginning doesn't mean it has to be boring. The beginning of The Last of Us wasn't boring.
Yeah, but that was a fast-spreading outbreak and the scene was only fifteen minutes

A sense of scale. They started to get it with that school closing / video of cops shooting guy. This felt like nobody other than the main characters knew that dead people were walking around. Actually, most of the episode was making it out like the kid was seeing things because of drugs. I'd almost be inclined to believe it WAS all in his head! Haha.
It's the first episode. It has to build up.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

This. I wanted them to start off with the outbreak or at least show the outbreak starting to happen faster than this slow start/build-up of it. Only the drug addict seems to know what is going on and that's only because he thinks he had a bad trip while everyone else was like "huh, a lot of blood in this here church... maybe I should call the police? But there is no bodies here, so lol nothing weird okay."

Thoughts aren't positive, but I am still excited for the future of the show!

I like the slow approach, but it really does work better for cross country show binges. But it was on the harder side to watch. Glad it didn't rush things, but I would have liked them to have engaging world and character building in its place. Instead we got some conspiracy building (which I'm flat out not interested in) and parental Scooby-dooing, which isn't something I wanted to see either.

But what I found really surprising was how well they put me in the kid's shoes. Really thought I was going a little crazy myself, when things were not showing up in places they were supposed to. And the show came to life when things started happening like the traffic scene.

Can't wait to keep watching the show, but the pilot could have been better.

BizzyBum

I thought it was good. I knew people were going to say it was boring. Sorry they don't have some insane zombie killing in a season premier pilot.

It definitely gave off an eerie vibe. Showing shots of the city with little to no people. Not knowing when or how the outbreak gets serious. The music was fantastic. Also just knowing that most of these people just living their lives will all be dead in the future giving it a sense of hopelessness and despair.

Previews looked good, too. Mass hysteria and it looks like we can see how the military fucked up so bad.

Frostburn

This. I wanted them to start off with the outbreak or at least show the outbreak starting to happen faster than this slow start/build-up of it. Only the drug addict seems to know what is going on and that's only because he thinks he had a bad trip while everyone else was like "huh, a lot of blood in this here church... maybe I should call the police? But there is no bodies here, so lol nothing weird okay."

This is showing the outbreak from the start from the perspective of this one family, everyone in the world isn't over reacting in the show yet because no one has any clue what is going on or just how bad it's going to be like we do as viewers. If I saw what that family saw with Calvin I'd probably be in shock more than anything, like I was watching a dream. Their minds aren't ready to accept that it was real even though it obviously is and its a lot to process plus the lack of good sleep since their son was missing/found.

TV will never have the budget to do that HUGE large scale zombie apocalypse the way movies can and only a small handful of movies have been successful at that even with some very large budgets.

TheSeks

This is showing the outbreak from the start feel the perspective of this one family, everyone in the world isn't over reacting in the show yet because no one has any clue what is going on or just how bad it's going to be like we do as viewers. If I saw what that family saw with Calvin I'd probably be in shock more than anything, like I was watching a dream. Their minds aren't ready to accept that it was real even though it obviously is and its a lot to process plus the lack of good sleep since their son was missing/found.

TV will never have the budget to do that HUGE large scale zombie apocalypse the way movies can and only a small handful of movies have been successful at that even with some very large budgets.

I get that, I do. But seriously:

"I shot Calvin. I saw whats-her-face chewing on a dudes body."

"Where is the bodies, tho!?"

":|"

(Calvin teleports behind their truck and nearly wastes the mom and step-dad)

*TRUCK SLAM!*

(Calvin gets up again)

*TRUCK SLAM x 2!*

"You believe me when I say I've seen some shit now?"

I get that, I do. But seriously:

"I shot Calvin. I saw whats-her-face chewing on a dudes body."

"Where is the bodies, tho!?"

":|"

(Calvin teleports behind their truck and nearly wastes the mom and step-dad)

*TRUCK SLAM!*

(Calvin gets up again)

*TRUCK SLAM x 2!*

"You believe me when I say I've seen some shit now?"
In a world with no clue about zombies id give it the benefit of a doubt . Being behind the car yeah I got nothing

TheSeks

In a world with no clue about zombies id give it the benefit of a doubt . Being behind the car yeah I got nothing

The gun was right near Calvin's car. You're telling me the son wouldn't point to that nor there wouldn't be blood spatter and or a trail from Calvin's dead shambling body leaving from there?

Frostburn

Yeah same on the positioning of Calvin having just driven through that tunnel. All I can think of is the directors being like, "Have him standing in the middle of the dark tunnel with the red glow from the tail lights illuminating the undead Calvin, that will be scary!"

Yeah same on the positioning of Calvin having just driven through that tunnel. All I can think of is the directors being like, "Have him standing in the middle of the dark tunnel with the red glow from the tail lights illuminating the undead Calvin, that will be scary!"
Maybe they pulled into the tunnel from the left and he was walking from the right and turned around lol. Who knows that walking dead continuity ......

Top Bottom