• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Music Producers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
My favorite producer in the game (hip hop) right now is ALC aka Alchemist. He's a white boy too. Brings that fire.

Check out is video w/ Prodigy - Hold You Down

Not his best work, but the production is heat as always.

Who are some of your favorite producers?

Also, do producers play as big a role in other genres of music? If so, I never hear them mentioned.

DaCocoBrova

He's suppossed to be doing Saigon's whole album. You have heard of Saigon, right?

Just Blaze brings it as well, I just wish he'd change up his drums and instruments from time to time. I love to hear a beat, love it, and never know that it's by someone whose sound I could usually identify. Like Devin's 'Doobie Ashtray'. Never would have thought that was a Primo beat, although the scratching at the end sounded like his signature sound.

Prospero

Also, do producers play as big a role in other genres of music? If so, I never hear them mentioned.

It's only recently that the hip-hop "producer" has become a star in his/her own right, but other genres are arguably influenced by production just as much.

For example I've bought albums just because Rick Rubin produced them. He's worked with Beastie Boys (Licensed to Ill), Public Enemy (It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back), Red Hot Chili Peppers (Blood Sugar Sex Magik), and Tom Petty (Wildflowers).

Oh--and every Nile Rodgers-produced album is pure gold. Partly because he also co-writes and performs on just about every album he touches. (Diana Ross's Diana and David Bowie's Black Tie White Noise are two of my favorite Rodgers albums.)

In jazz, Teo Macero is notable just for his work on Bitches Brew. (Listen to the Complete Bitches Brew Sessions, and then the album--you'll be amazed that somebody could splice so much noise into something that sounds coherent.)

EDIT: it's worth mentioning that producing in hip-hop seems to mean some other thing than it does in rock or jazz--it's hands-on in a different way. If you argue that sampling is a form of musical composition, then hip-hop producers are more like composers than rock producers are. But a trained ear can still listen to a Rick Rubin album and know it's by Rubin, even if only because the bass is jacked all the way up while the high-end instruments still sound clean.

Dilbert

Not to ask a dumb question, but what does a "producer" do, and how is it different than making music? I can somewhat understand the distinction in rock music -- the musicians play their instruments, and the producer records/manipulates/mixes the result into the finished sound. But for hip-hop, where the music is being made on the computer in the first place...what's the difference?

Is Prefuse 73 an artist, or a producer? How about Rjd2? How about Trent Reznor?

DaCocoBrova

It's only recently that the hip-hop "producer" has become a star in his/her own right, but other genres are arguably influenced by production just as much.

Interesting.

Producers have always gotten recognition in hip hop. Especially since most of them were usually the DJs.

Eric B. and Rakim for example. Large Professor, Primo, Terminator X...

Not to ask a dumb question, but what does a "producer" do, and how is it different than making music? I can somewhat understand the distinction in rock music -- the musicians play their instruments, and the producer records/manipulates/mixes the result into the finished sound. But for hip-hop, where the music is being made on the computer in the first place...what's the difference?

It's not that cut and dry. A hip hop producer does exactly what any producer does (i.e. 'records/manipulates/mixes the result into the finished sound...').

The difference is this... They usually provide the sound scape while the lyricist, like the name implies, lays down the vocals.

Sample clearance is a b!tch, so many producers have the task of re-arranging works to avoid legal issues. There's a lot to it. Don't assume that because different instruments and methods are used, that there's less to it. There's often times more to it because of that.

ced

DaCocoBrova said:

I dont follow mainstream music that much, but I can certainly tell a good production. I dont know about roles, but youll hear of some bands using certain producers to aquire a certain sound. I may have an elitist veiw of music, but to me this is more like bands being poured into a mold and being sold.

This maybe a hip hop / rap only thread but Ill say Steven Wilson is amazing.

No one knows who he is, but he produces his own bands stuff (Porcupine Tree) and some european stuff. Opeths Damnation and Deliverance were also produced by him. The sound and quality can certainly be found in all his stuff.

Prospero

DaCocoBrova said:
Interesting.

Producers have always gotten recognition in hip hop. Especially since most of them were usually the DJs.

Eric B. and Rakim for example. Large Professor, Primo, Terminator X...

It's not that cut and dry. A hip hop producer does exactly what any producer does (i.e. 'records/manipulates/mixes the result into the finished sound...').

The difference is this... They usually provide the sound scape while the lyricist, like the name implies, lays down the vocals.

Sample clearance is a b!tch, so many producers have the task of re-arranging works to avoid legal issues. There's a lot to it. Don't assume that because different instruments and methods are used, that there's less to it. There's often times more to it because of that.

I think that saying that producers just mix the result undersells the role of some producers (but not all--some of them really are that hands off).

I just thought of a couple more examples of influential rock producers--Brian Eno (listen to David Bowie's Heroes and U2's Achtung Baby back-to-back and you'll hear his influence) and Tony Visconti (again, he worked with Bowie). And Phil Spector, who's known for inventing that whole "wall of sound" concept--I suppose if you were going to point out a rock producer that's a star, it'd be him (or George Martin, I guess). But for the most part they're unsung heroes, except among musicians themselves and hardcore fans.

lexy

DaCocoBrova said:

Yeah, they matter and have a big role in all forms music. Although I would argue that they have a bigger role in the various forms of electronic music than in music produced using actual instruments.

EDIT: WTF is Nina Sky doing in that video? Dammit, I guess they're going to be around longer than I would have hoped.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm really feeling Infusion, Pinkbox Special, Sasha, Dousk, Luke Chable, Hybrid, Digital Witchcraft, Sultan, and Grayarea as of late...

Producers and DJs play a big part in dance music...

I'll agree with Rick Rubin, and add Brendan O'Brian. Bob has done a lot of stuff over the years as varied as Rage Against the Machine, Korn, and Pearl Jam.

Hey, how about Bob Rock? heh, no.

Chris Vrenna is awesome. Does his own stuff, Jack Off Jill, Scarling, etc. Did the first cold album.

Otherwise, Steve Albini. I think anyone who knows the name would likely agree.

atomsk

Party Pooper
i love most of the stuff Perry touches, which is mostly YG Family stuff. 1TYM, Lexy, etc...

still trying to track down his out of print solo album...

My top 3 are:

RZA
Prince Paul
Automator

Then there's guys like Madlib, MF Doom, Alchemist, Mario Caldato and the Beastie Boys (very overlooked), DJ Muggs, ONP, Earthtone III, the list goes on...

Volt

Semjaza Azazel said:
Otherwise, Steve Albini. I think anyone who knows the name would likely agree.

I do, and I do :) Steve Albini is probably my favourite rock producer, and I also like a lot, but not all, of his colleague Dave Sardy's work. Of course, I have to mention Chris Goss as well for his brilliant work on Kyuss/Queens of the Stone Age.

ME

but other than me...

kanye west, alchemist, primo of course, old rza, pete rock, sneaker pimps,timbaland, and whoever did toxic for britney spears (Damn right, and i dont care what no one says)

peace

when you say the neptunes, do you mean just their rap production or other stuff like the Kenna album and the punk/emo band that was on their "presents" album?

And Steve Albini is indeed a great producer. I should add Trent Reznor too because what he does with his stuff is quite good. Though if it's the production or just the way it comes out of his head, I dunno.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
bune duggy said:
when you say the neptunes, do you mean just their rap production or other stuff like the Kenna album and the punk/emo band that was on their "presents" album?

I mean "the neptune" a big part why i like them is because they try to cover lots of genres.

DaCocoBrova said:

a hip hop producer makes the beats and might even come up with the arrangement of the song, create the chorus or give suggestions how the chorus will be while the artist works with the producer and supplies the vocals in this aspect.

now some producers mixes the result into the finished sound, but thats actually the engineer's job. not all producers mix/do post production stuff. thats the engineers job. engineers also assist in the recording process.

technically speaking, the producer can just make the beat, give it to the artist and thats it, he did his job.

peace

bune duggy said:
I should add Trent Reznor too because what he does with his stuff is quite good. Though if it's the production or just the way it comes out of his head, I dunno.

He's produced other stuff, most notably earlier Marilyn Manson material. While I think his influence on the sound itself is overblown by people, he definitely had an impact. It's especially obvious if you've heard the Portrait of an American Family that was mastered by the other guy before the band bitched about how overly polished it sounded and Reznor took over.

Too bad there aren't more albums that have two versions floating around like that. Those two versions really prove how important a good (and fitting) producer is to a band's sound.

moist

This maybe a hip hop / rap only thread but Ill say Steven Wilson is amazing.

I would have sex with Steven Wilson given the chance. PT and both of those Opeth Cd's are fucking amazing.

Milhouse31 said:
I mean "the neptune" a big part why i like them is because they try to cover lots of genres.

ah, cool. I like the Kenna album more than most of their rap stuff anyway. :/

Semjaza Azazel said:
He's produced other stuff, most notably earlier Marilyn Manson material. While I think his influence on the sound itself is overblown by people, he definitely had an impact. It's especially obvious if you've heard the Portrait of an American Family that was mastered by the other guy before the band bitched about how overly polished it sounded and Reznor took over.

Too bad there aren't more albums that have two versions floating around like that. Those two versions really prove how important a good (and fitting) producer is to a band's sound.

oh I know about that, it's just that I like when he does his own stuff better, though most of the songs that he had a hand in on Antichrist Superstar were better than the ones he didn't.

I'd love to get that other version of PoaAF but it has disappeared from the usual places I look and the blue bird has been cranky at me lately.

As for two versions of albums, supposedly there is a Steve Albini original mix of In Utero but only one song (or so) has been made available on the internet. I've heard "No Apologies" and it's amazingly different.

ced

bune duggy said:
ah, cool. I like the Kenna album more than most of their rap stuff anyway. :/

Im anything but a hip hop / rap person, but New Sacred Cow is freaking great. Are there plans for another album? I know that one was held up for years.

and yeah Rick Ruben is a big name producer, cant say I like him but he is a good example in mainstream rock.

Mason

I love Dan the Automator; anything that man touches turns to gold. Prince Paul is good, too. Steve Albini deserves props for his work with the Pixies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom