• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasian (diorama adventure RPG from Mistwalker) - Story and Features trailers, screenshots

dottme

small? iphone user base is small? :LOL:
Let be honest, I don’t think the iPhone user base represent the potential market for this game.
i don’t know the Apple Arcade number, but I expect it to be a quite small portion of the iPhone user.

theclaw135

Banned
Maybe it doesn't look 'amazing' but seriously.

An independent game lacks the bells and whistles of a game funded by Microsoft's pocketbook?
You don't say.

Fbh

Maybe it doesn't look 'amazing' but seriously.

An independent game lacks the bells and whistles of a game funded by Microsoft's pocketbook?
You don't say.

True.

Also yeah it might not look as good as Lost Odyssey.

But IMO it still looks better than this ugly thing:
Bravely-Default-II_02-10-21.jpg

Which is a 2021 $60 game published by Square.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
True.

It’s unpolished but like the visuals in BD2 also payed $60 for enjoyment rather than graphics which exactly what got so it was worth money I payed.

Last edited:

Fbh

It’s unpolished but like the visuals in BD2 also payed $60 for enjoyment rather than graphics which exactly what got so it was worth money I payed.

I'm not trying to shit on BD2, I'm sure it's a fun game even though I do think the visuals outside of towns are quite ugly.
I've just seen a lot of people shit on the visuals of this game which IMO, given the probably low budget and target platform, looks pretty good IMO.

Can someone clear up a couple of things for me:

1) Are Apple Arcade games playable on iPhone and Macbook?

2) Was it explained why Mistwalker agreed to work with Apple? Is it the only publisher that agreed to let Sakaguchi do whatever he wants?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not trying to shit on BD2, I'm sure it's a fun game even though I do think the visuals outside of towns are quite ugly.
I've just seen a lot of people shit on the visuals of this game which IMO, given the probably low budget and target platform, looks pretty good IMO.
I agree Fantasian pulls off the visuals that BD2 aiming for much better, in fact I would say BD2 shouldn't have used UE engine, Switch kind of struggles with games using that engine.

They could also went with same visuals style as Nier Reincarnation.

NieR-Reincarnation-Concept-Art-and-Screenshots-Siliconera-2-710x400.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Fbh

Can someone clear up a couple of things for me:

1) Are Apple Arcade games playable on iPhone and Macbook?

2) Was it explained why Mistwalker agreed to work with Apple? Is it the only publisher that agreed to let Sakaguchi do whatever he wants?

1) Supposedly it runs on iOS 13, iPad OS 13, tvOS 13, and macOS Catalina or later. Not sure if every game is supported on every OS

2) We don't really know, sounds like a standard exclusivity deal. Maybe Mistwalker pitched the idea around and Apple was willing to pay, or maybe Apple approached them since the game fits in nicely with the concept of Apple arcade (higher quality mobile games with no microtransactions). It's not the only exclusive on Apple arcade so we do know Apple was shopping around for exclusivity deals. Maybe it was like one of those Epic Games deals where we've heard from some indies that the timed exclusivity deal alone already covers the dev costs.

Last edited:
1) Supposedly it runs on iOS 13, iPad OS 13, tvOS 13, and macOS Catalina or later. Not sure if every game is supported on every OS

2) We don't really know, sounds like a standard exclusivity deal. Maybe Mistwalker pitched the idea around and Apple was willing to pay, or maybe Apple approached them since the game fits in nicely with the concept of Apple arcade (higher quality mobile games with no microtransactions). It's not the only exclusive on Apple arcade so we do know Apple was shopping around for exclusivity deals. Maybe it was like one of those Epic Games deals where we've heard from some indies that the timed exclusivity deal alone already covers the dev costs.
Sakaguchi posted a photo of the game on Switc—err, iPhone:

Meesh

Oh my gaaawd!! It's Final Fantasian! All my Asian jrpg fantasies in one final package... on mobile devices. So why not throw Switch a bone Mistwalker, you still got fans there too!

Speaking of, Fantasian could be the last game Sakaguchi works on and as well as Uematsu's final full soundtrack.

“I think it is certainly possible that this could be my last project,” he told VGC, “and that was kind of in the back of my mind as we were developing it.”

He added: “We’re currently developing the final touches for part 2 of Fantasian and things are finally beginning to calm down, I would say.

“To be perfectly honest with you, I haven’t given much thought to the next steps for the company or where we want to go, and I think I could use a bit of vacation time in between now and whatever it is we do next. So we’ll see what happens, that remains to be seen.”

“I think [Nobuo Uematsu] kind of hinted that Fantasian is maybe the last game that he does from end to end in terms of scoring an entire soundtrack,” he said, adding that while Uematsu would likely continue to do individual compositions for games, Fantasian “might be his last record”.

“On a positive note, he poured his heart and soul into [Fantasian],” he added. “For me, when I heard it, it almost made me tear up a little bit, because it was a very big moment in both of our careers.”

I have played an hour and 40 minutes and have enjoyed the game very much so far. The first minutes have a bombing mission vibe to them and the backgrounds are really pretty. Combat is basic so far but I like how you can swipe with you finger to trace different trajectories for a skill or spell and hit multiple enemies or bypass the one or the front.

4mjazBI.jpg
YdaEeV0.jpg

Y69Q4so.jpg

e2d51L7.jpg

BootsLoader

Banned
I wonder if this is the first “attack” of Apple in the gaming industry. Hey tested the waters and now doing small attacks?

The assets look almost prerendered.

True.

I thought at least environments looked great, model faces could be better

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
True.

great to see another person not being ok with this sheit in 2021.
either price your game like an indie.. (20 max) or fuck off srsly 60 bucks LOL

Y69Q4so.jpg

I think they forgot to remove the placeholder origin story from RPG maker.

Last edited:

smbu2000

The jury is out. There doesn't look to be official confirmation whether the game features micro transactions, at all.
If the game is on Apple Arcade then there aren’t any micro transactions.
https://www.apple.com/apple-arcade/

180+ games, One subscription, no ads, no in-app purchases.

That’s the good thing about Apple Arcade, all of the games don’t have any ads/micro transactions. You just play them.( For $4.99/mo. Or as part of the Apple One plan.)

BootsLoader

Banned
FYI the character models look really good when close to the camera or during a cutscene.
LwLJ71O.jpg

hLWIIG5.jpg

xfzVcAR.jpg

I wonder if there are other games, available or upcoming, that are worth checking out?
So far there are no other good games in Apple Arcade. Not sure about upcomin.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I love the look of the game. But I just bought an expensive android phone. Not going to shell out again for an iPhone to play this.

Hopefully it comes to switch, PC, or ps5.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good.

Impressive how Uematsu's work is always so good.

Final Fantasy lost its soul after he left.
I totally agree. But, I'd add both Sakaguchi and Uematsu were vital to FF. Uematsu went so far as to say SE shouldn't have continued FF after Sakaguchi's departure in an old 1UP interview. After they left it became this disoriented zombiefied husk of itself.

I really don't get why people worship modern FF in any capacity. Its just become a plaything for suits to toy around with. I could honestly say this about many modern takes on legacy franchies.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
His world building is excellent. I get all sorts of vibes from the intro. I’m thinking of Spirits Within when I see this.
276-F604-E-CD02-4436-AE10-97-A0-AA469-D8-E.png

I also wish it was on something other than a paid for arcade service on a mobile phone. I realize that’s a billion dollar platform, but the man deserves something far greater than that.

Top Bottom