• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 46, 2023 (Nov 6 - Nov 12) - PS5 above 100K

It’s a nice jump for PS5 Slim. But agree that it doesn’t look like it made up for last couples lows.

But what games will carry PS5 to keep the momentum going? Honest questions because I don’t keep up with Japanese releases! Spider-Man 2 isn’t showing it’s the game!
Yakuza Infinite Wealth and FF7 Rebirth. Rebirth has pretty consistently been the #1 Famitsu most wanted title.

Hardensoul

Yakuza Infinite Wealth and FF7 Rebirth. Rebirth has pretty consistently been the #1 Famitsu most wanted title.
But both those are next year! Yakuza is January 26 and FF rebirth is later February 29.

What would keep momentum going thru this holidays, I thought Japan kinda celebrate Christmas spirit of giving presents?

Last edited:
But both those are next year! Yakuza is January 26 and FF rebirth is later February 29.

What would keep momentum going thru this holidays, I thought Japan kinda celebrate Christmas spirit of giving presents?
Oh sorry, I thought you meant including early next year.

Probably nothing, but what big releases are there left for any system really? All the big games are out at this point for the year.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It’s a nice jump for PS5 Slim. But agree that it doesn’t look like it made up for last couples lows.

But what games will carry PS5 to keep the momentum going? Honest questions because I don’t keep up with Japanese releases! Spider-Man 2 isn’t showing it’s the game!
No clue, I'm a PC guy and even then don't really check release schedules outside games I really care to follow >_>

Hardensoul

Probably nothing, but what big releases are there left for any system really? All the big games are out at this point for the year.
Yea, that’s true. Other than Super Mario RPG remaster tomorrow. Guess both Sony/Nintendo will rely on bundles and sales for the upcoming weeks!

Not sure if this week's PS5 sales are good enough to cover the past weeks being so super low but hey, it's on top for a week at least, we'll see the next one.

Er, no? Nothing sells forever, ~79K is still something rivals would kill to have consistently. Nothing's disappointing about its performance this or any year...

Gaiden did alright considering the platforms it's available on, 50/50 between PS4 and PS5, huh. Great game, I do hope it's within Sega's expectations for it.
Famitsu has Switch at 65K this week, where did 79k come from?

Woopah

Nothing really big for PS5 in Q4 in terms of physical games, just Spiderman 2 and RGG. However, I believe the PS5's popularity in Japan is caused in large part by F2P games, so I'd count Honkai Rail as a major release.

Having said that, Q1 2024 looks very strong for PS5 with Rebirth, Tekken, DD2 and Granblu among others.
Yea, that’s true. Other than Super Mario RPG remaster tomorrow. Guess both Sony/Nintendo will rely on bundles and sales for the upcoming weeks!
Whereas for Switch it's the opposite. Q4 2023 is pretty strong with the two Mario games, and we still have the Momotaro sequel, DQ Monsters 4 and Hogwarts Legacy port to come

And then Q1 2024 looks very weak, unless the Peach game is a breakout hit.

REEEEE won't accept this.
Why won't the FTC just let MS buy Japan?!!
Sad Season 3 GIF by The Lonely Island

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wonder if they will track ps portal sales

I wish lol. But nah.

Sony would probably like to get to close 15 million PS5 units in Japan.

If you look at the PS2 as an aberration based on people buying it as a dvd player (which probably hurts you if you're selling units at a loss and they're not buying any or much software) and the PS1 becomes the true high water mark which was 19.4 million units (the PSP is actually at 19.6)

Both the PS3 and PS4 were about 10 million units.

The PS5 should be able to get to 5 million units with FF7R2. If pricing can become a little bit more flexible and if the Switch 2 stumbles out of the gate due to price, we could see a bit of a resurgence.

The PS5 is probably on pace for about 13-15 million. The biggest question is whether or not it can get the software and price drops to deliver that.

I think the FF7R phased release has been a bit of a blow to Sony and Square Enix. I wonder if they do a remaster across all games at the end, but then again, they said that you can't maintain your progression across games... mind-boggling.

No way the PS5 hits 15 million in Japan man. 10 million is a lock. Max at 12 million imho.

No way the PS5 hits 15 million in Japan man. 10 million is a lock. Max at 12 million imho.

Think it depends on a lot of factors.

• How aggressive they get with PS5 pricing
  • If they release a PS5 Super Slim
  • If they release a PS5 handheld
  • How the Switch 2 does

There are a lot of ways Sony can choose to continue to the PS5 that we may have seen with the PS4 had it not been for the pandemic. I think the PS4 would have been priced significantly more aggressively, but it never made sense to because the supply chain cost of producing PS4s stayed unusually high.

You can tell with the cross-gen plans they had hoped to keep selling PS4s for longer.

But the PS6 is going to be a continuation of the PS5 with scalability reaching a new level of consoles.

Honestly i feel like this gen is such a weird one because not only is it going to be a long one, Sony's studios will hit their peak starting in 2025. PS5 Pro is releasing late next year as well.
I honestly think we haven't seen the best these consoles can do and most games planned for this gen are yet to be released. It's really hard to predict what's happening by the end of it.

One thing is for sure: PS5 is outselling both the PS4 and PS3 in Japan, which by itself is a huge victory for that market.

mckmas8808

Think it depends on a lot of factors.

• How aggressive they get with PS5 pricing
  • If they release a PS5 Super Slim
  • If they release a PS5 handheld
  • How the Switch 2 does

There are a lot of ways Sony can choose to continue to the PS5 that we may have seen with the PS4 had it not been for the pandemic. I think the PS4 would have been priced significantly more aggressively, but it never made sense to because the supply chain cost of producing PS4s stayed unusually high.

You can tell with the cross-gen plans they had hoped to keep selling PS4s for longer.

But the PS6 is going to be a continuation of the PS5 with scalability reaching a new level of consoles.

- PS5 handheld will be impossible.
- No way Nintendo is messing up the Switch 2 (the gaming industry would collapse if Nintendo fails here)
- Sony has shown that they have no incentive to lower the price of the PS5 to compete with its past consoles in quantity sold.

Honestly i feel like this gen is such a weird one because not only is it going to be a long one, Sony's studios will hit their peak starting in 2025. PS5 Pro is releasing late next year as well.
I honestly think we haven't seen the best these consoles can do and most games planned for this gen are yet to be released. It's really hard to predict what's happening by the end of it.

One thing is for sure: PS5 is outselling both the PS4 and PS3 in Japan, which by itself is a huge victory for that market.

And something most didn't think was possible. Me included lol. So I will live out the possibility that the PS5 can keep surprising me. But to sell 15 million would be mind-blowing, because it's just not Sony's focus like it used to be. To me it would mean the PS5 would sell over 150 million consoles world-wide and I just find that hard to believe.

Because these companies can't lower the price of their consoles below $200 anymore due to the SSD\hard drive. The price of that just can't go low enough.

- PS5 handheld will be impossible.
- No way Nintendo is messing up the Switch 2 (the gaming industry would collapse if Nintendo fails here)
- Sony has shown that they have no incentive to lower the price of the PS5 to compete with its past consoles in quantity sold.

• That's because you're thinking of this as literally the same architecture made mobile. That's not what I'm saying here.
  • No way Nintendo is messing up the Wii U right?
    • The Switch 2 has A LOT of problems to solve which is almost certainly why we haven't seen it yet
  • Sony just lowered the price by bundling it with Spider-Man 2 and Modern Warfare 3 at the same price. The PS5 is essentially discounted to 430.
  • Sony will discount the PS5 in the future, they just aren't discounting it now, because they are trying to raise their margins. They've done these bundled because it's cheaper than outright discounting the console.

mckmas8808

• That's because you're thinking of this as literally the same architecture made mobile. That's not what I'm saying here.
  • No way Nintendo is messing up the Wii U right?
    • The Switch 2 has A LOT of problems to solve which is almost certainly why we haven't seen it yet
  • Sony just lowered the price by bundling it with Spider-Man 2 and Modern Warfare 3 at the same price. The PS5 is essentially discounted to 430.
  • Sony will discount the PS5 in the future, they just aren't discounting it now, because they are trying to raise their margins. They've done these bundled because it's cheaper than outright discounting the console.

What would a mobile PS5 solve? But before you answer......remember that PS Portal exist and it's only $200. So think about the price of this "Mobile PS5" first before you answer. And the Wii U was one of the biggest flops in gaming history. But clearly you don't think Nintendo could possibly be that stupid at this point do you? Just make the Switch better than ever and it'll sell another 100 million. NO revolution, just an evolution of the Switch is fine. Nothing more, nothing less and you could book 100 million sold.

What would a mobile PS5 solve? But before you answer......remember that PS Portal exist and it's only $200. So think about the price of this "Mobile PS5" first before you answer. And the Wii U was one of the biggest flops in gaming history. But clearly you don't think Nintendo could possibly be that stupid at this point do you? Just make the Switch better than ever and it'll sell another 100 million. NO revolution, just an evolution of the Switch is fine. Nothing more, nothing less and you could book 100 million sold.

The PS Portal is sold entirely for profit and probably a pretty decent margin as well. It's a dual sense with a cheap LCD screen on it with minimal compute.

The PS Portal is about increasing engagement.

A handheld "PS5" (I put it in quotation marks because again it doesn't actually have to be a PS5, it just needs to play the games at a reduced scale in terms of resolution and framerate).

Flops happen all the time, but there are generally reasons for it.

Nintendo has A LOT of hurdles to jump to deliver a Switch 2 that is actually something consumers are going to jump at.

• Significant power boost
  • Affordable price
  • Good battery life
  • Storage space onboard and via carts
  • Games can't continue to rise in price due to more expensive carts
3DS was better than the DS in every way. Why did it sell significantly less?

mckmas8808

Flops happen all the time, but there are generally reasons for it.

Nintendo has A LOT of hurdles to jump to deliver a Switch 2 that is actually something consumers are going to jump at.

• Significant power boost
  • Affordable price
  • Good battery life
  • Storage space onboard and via carts
  • Games can't continue to rise in price due to more expensive carts
3DS was better than the DS in every way. Why did it sell significantly less?

At some point, Nintendo ran into the problem that we all knew was happening. They couldn't properly prop up both a console and a handheld. So something had to give. Hence why the Switch was made. Nintendo may need to increase the price of the Switch 2 though. It's the one thing that I'm afraid of. Because I think they'll try to make a $299 Switch 2 and I don't think that's best long term. I'd LOVE for them to make a $399 Switch 2 so that it can live for 8 years and actually be something that's respected more than 4 years down the road.

At some point, Nintendo ran into the problem that we all knew was happening. They couldn't properly prop up both a console and a handheld. So something had to give. Hence why the Switch was made. Nintendo may need to increase the price of the Switch 2 though. It's the one thing that I'm afraid of. Because I think they'll try to make a $299 Switch 2 and I don't think that's best long term. I'd LOVE for them to make a $399 Switch 2 so that it can live for 8 years and actually be something that's respected more than 4 years down the road.

Even a 399 Switch 2 isn't going to be all that powerful.

mckmas8808

Even a 399 Switch 2 isn't going to be all that powerful.

But it'll be more powerful than a $299 Switch 2. We all need the Switch 2 to be at least the power of a Series S. 4 TF minimum, decent battery life, 8 Gigs of RAM, some of the latest software tech from Nvidia, and great Nintendo games. I trust that Nintendo is smarter at doing this than the makers of the ROG Ally for instance.

But it'll be more powerful than a $299 Switch 2. We all need the Switch 2 to be at least the power of a Series S. 4 TF minimum, decent battery life, 8 Gigs of RAM, some of the latest software tech from Nvidia, and great Nintendo games. I trust that Nintendo is smarter at doing this than the makers of the ROG Ally for instance.

That might be enough for new consumers, but why does a family who bought 2 switches want to upgrade their existing switches for 800 dollars if it isn't a serious jump?

Nintendo is smart and they've had their own share of failures and disappointments along the way.

• Wii U
  • Virtual Boy
  • Gamecube
  • And to an extent the 3DS and N64

Woopah

Quite a few interesting releases this week, anyone got any predictions for them?

Super Mario RPG
Persona 5 Tactica
Momotaro Dentetsu World
Hogwarts Legacy Switch

$399 is the minimum it will be, but it'll still not be the power of a Series S. It'll be a hybrid.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That was off by 20%, and that is a big difference!
My point was other companies would kill to have those numbers consistently as that's literally all I said and that is true even with the 20% less real number of ~65k. No difference.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Wow so the ps5 was saved and it's back top of the traditional home console market. I'm surprised Xbox put up such a fight but great to see ps5 back.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The gaming industry would not collapse if the Switch 2 is a dud. Besides, Nintendo has enough resources and willpower to come up with an alternative should thighs head South.

Anyway, carry on.

Last edited:

It actually makes way more sense for Nintendo to create a way more powered Switch 2 and continue selling the Switch at a discounted price and do cross gen for a couple years.

I just don't see how they're going to straddle the difference in price of the current gen consoles and the power of these consoles and the mobility factor and the battery factor.

400 dollars isn't going to get you a beefy handheld machine right now.

mckmas8808

It actually makes way more sense for Nintendo to create a way more powered Switch 2 and continue selling the Switch at a discounted price and do cross gen for a couple years.

I just don't see how they're going to straddle the difference in price of the current gen consoles and the power of these consoles and the mobility factor and the battery factor.

400 dollars isn't going to get you a beefy handheld machine right now.

I agree with this. Switch 1 for sale at a price of $199 for the OLED model and $399 for the Switch 2. And it doesn't need to be beefy, just can't be as weak as the Switch.

Top Bottom