• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 46, 2023 (Nov 6 - Nov 12) - PS5 above 100K

Famitsu Sales: Week 46 (Nov 6 - Nov 12)​

Software​

1st Switch Super Mario Bros. Wonder
65,017 (975,276 total) -40% / Nintendo / October 20, 2023

2nd PS5 Ryu ga Gotoku 7 Gaiden: The Man Who Vanished
63,319 (Total 63,319) New / Sega / November 9, 2023

3rd PS4 Ryu ga Gotoku 7 Gaiden: The Man Who Vanished
60,134 (Total 60,134) New / Sega / November 9, 2023

4th PS5 Call of Duty Modern Warfare III
22,132 (total 22,132) New / Activision / November 10, 2023

5th Switch Wario Ware: Move it!
13,340 (total 42,924) -55% / Nintendo / November 3, 2023

6th PS4 Call of Duty Modern Warfare III
8,962 (total 8,962) New / Activision / November 10, 2023

7th Switch Fashion Dreamer
8,166 (total 39,050) -74% / Marvelous / November 2, 2023

8th Switch Pikmin 4
7,511 (total 948,207) -26% / Nintendo / July 21, 2023

9th Switch Animal Crossing: New Horizons
7,186 (7,573,156 total) -55% / Nintendo / March 20, 2020

10th Switch Game of Life for Nintendo Switch
5,913 (total 77,301) -26% / Takara Tomy / October 6, 2023

Hardware sales volume​

• Switch -7,720 (total 19,601,080)
  • Switch Lite - 13,846 (total 5,571,883)
  • Switch Oled - 44,217 (total 6,041,114)
  • PS5 - 86,869 (total 4,019,191)
  • PS5 Digital Edition - 21,084 (total 611,148)
  • Xbox Series X - 1,996 (total 234,226)
  • Xbox Series S - 582 (total 293,286)
  • PS4 - 1,330 (total 7,906,029)
  • New Nintendo 2DS LL - 23 (total 1,192,605)

lXRH1vo.png

Last edited:

Elios83

Damn, it fell short of my prediction (i.e. was hoping for 125k - 130k, but it was a very ambitious sales milestone to reach in the first place). Still great numbers for the PS5 Slim though!

Your prediction just needed a couple of extra days of tracking within the same week. The console was released on a friday so pretty late in the tracking period.

Anyway great start but the important thing is how the sales will be sustained throughout the holiday season.

The best week of PS5 in Japan since the launch, not bad, the nonsense that these previous ones have read when the reason was clear, there was no stock.

Switch doesn't give a fuck as usual. 65k like it's nothing
Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami you might be right. What PS5 lost for the past month could be salvaged through the following weeks

I wasn't entirely right. I completely forgot about the digital as I didn't think they were ramping up digital sales yet, but that would obviously be a selling point in Japan. I think their ratio of digital vs non-digital might be the highest in the world.

But my general point was that we'd see a ramp-up. Sony owns Japan as far as traditional consoles go, so of course they can get their sales in when they want. Like a few weeks of limited quantities was really going to impact them in the long run.

I think some people just have this weird fascination and importance when it comes to Japan and see anything not strongly positive for Japan as a slight on their own gaming interests. There were people in the US who couldn't find a PS5 for over a year... and many of those people did buy XBS.

Sony's number one priority for the platform is increased market share in North America and the UK as well as expansion into China and India.

Sony would probably like to get to close 15 million PS5 units in Japan.

If you look at the PS2 as an aberration based on people buying it as a dvd player (which probably hurts you if you're selling units at a loss and they're not buying any or much software) and the PS1 becomes the true high water mark which was 19.4 million units (the PSP is actually at 19.6)

Both the PS3 and PS4 were about 10 million units.

The PS5 should be able to get to 5 million units with FF7R2. If pricing can become a little bit more flexible and if the Switch 2 stumbles out of the gate due to price, we could see a bit of a resurgence.

The PS5 is probably on pace for about 13-15 million. The biggest question is whether or not it can get the software and price drops to deliver that.

I think the FF7R phased release has been a bit of a blow to Sony and Square Enix. I wonder if they do a remaster across all games at the end, but then again, they said that you can't maintain your progression across games... mind-boggling.

Sojiro

Booo Star Ocean 2 R out of the charts. The game deserves far more sales as its fantastic.
Yeah this is a real bummer, Star Ocean deserves to be up there for a few weeks at least before dropping off, 😞. Mario came up a bit short of a million this week, but he'll get there next week. Sony came back with a vengeance!

JaksGhost

Wonder if they will track ps portal sales
More than likely they will not because it’s an accessory just like the DualSense and DualSense Edge. We should get Circana and data from the UK though since they report on accessories.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Yeah this is a real bummer, Star Ocean deserves to be up there for a few weeks at least before dropping off, 😞. Mario came up a bit short of a million this week, but he'll get there next week. Sony came back with a vengeance!
Physical PS4 + PS5 and Switch week 1 = 50,577. Add digital and Steam sales for week 1 and I'd guess it probably did about 100k. So maybe now at around 120kish. Not disasterous but should be a lot higher considering the quality of the game and popularity of SO2.

I think the reviews and positive word of mouth should mean it'll slowly be bought by many more gradually and in time.

Relatively disappointing numbers for Switch this week but next week it should get a big boost with Momotaro Dentetsu World and Super Mario RPG.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Happy to see Sony doing well. We need diversity, as much as I love them Nintendo having 90 percent of the market is not okay..

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Not sure if this week's PS5 sales are good enough to cover the past weeks being so super low but hey, it's on top for a week at least, we'll see the next one.
Relatively disappointing numbers for Switch
Er, no? Nothing sells forever, ~79K is still something rivals would kill to have consistently. Nothing's disappointing about its performance this or any year...

Gaiden did alright considering the platforms it's available on, 50/50 between PS4 and PS5, huh. Great game, I do hope it's within Sega's expectations for it.

Last edited:
Relatively disappointing numbers for Switch this week but next week it should get a big boost with Momotaro Dentetsu World and Super Mario RPG.
It's sold 31 million in Japan, like, the system's way past the saturation point. Sales now are mostly double-dipping or secondary household sales.

Hardensoul

Not sure if this week's PS5 sales are good enough to cover the past weeks being so super low but hey, it's on top for a week at least, we'll see the next one.

Er, no? Nothing sells forever, ~79K is still something rivals would kill to have consistently. Nothing's disappointing about its performance this or any year...

Gaiden did alright considering the platforms it's available on, 50/50 between PS4 and PS5, huh. Great game, I do hope it's within Sega's expectations for it.
It’s a nice jump for PS5 Slim. But agree that it doesn’t look like it made up for last couples lows.

But what games will carry PS5 to keep the momentum going? Honest questions because I don’t keep up with Japanese releases! Spider-Man 2 isn’t showing it’s the game!

Top Bottom