• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu sales week 33: Nintendo and Konami dominated in Obon week

Bodomism

Banned
Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
  1. [NSW] Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel: Saikyo Battle Royale!! (Konami, 08/12/21) – 96,297 (New)
  2. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (Konami, 11/19/20) – 21,974 (2,322,950)
  3. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 21,395 (2,123,808)
  4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 21,263 (3,979,328)
  5. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 21,063 (2,755,294)
  6. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (Nintendo, 07/16/21) – 13,472 (247,696)
  7. [NSW] Crayon Shin-chan: Ora to Hakase no Natsuyasumi – Owaranai Nanokakan no Tabi (Neos, 07/15/21) – 13,434 (169,708)
  8. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 12,956 (4,380,529)
  9. [NSW] Game Builder Garage (Nintendo, 06/11/21) – 12,857 (212,957)
  10. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (Nintendo, 02/12/21) – 12,715 (849,280)
Hardware Sales
  1. Nintendo Switch – 89.732
  2. Playstation 5 - 9.056
  3. Xbox Series X/S – 1.256
  4. PlayStation 4 - 1.170
  5. Nintendo 3DS – 539

Rat Rage

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
  1. [NSW] Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel: Saikyo Battle Royale!! (Konami, 08/12/21) – 96,297 (New)
  2. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (Konami, 11/19/20) – 21,974 (2,322,950)
  3. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 21,395 (2,123,808)
  4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 21,263 (3,979,328)
  5. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 21,063 (2,755,294)
  6. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (Nintendo, 07/16/21) – 13,472 (247,696)
  7. [NSW] Crayon Shin-chan: Ora to Hakase no Natsuyasumi – Owaranai Nanokakan no Tabi (Neos, 07/15/21) – 13,434 (169,708)
  8. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 12,956 (4,380,529)
  9. [NSW] Game Builder Garage (Nintendo, 06/11/21) – 12,857 (212,957)
  10. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (Nintendo, 02/12/21) – 12,715 (849,280)

Alright folks, let's see if we can find a PS4/PS5 game in there!

LGLzRlm.gif

NOPE!

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Have negative 5000 interest in Rush Duel but there's no doubt it is a smash hit among younger Japanese. Konami played a wise bet.

FTlnw8Q.jpeg

The anime is actually decent I will admit. It embraces being a kids show & just having fun with the game. Being serious hasn't worked particularly well for Yugioh since 5D's.

MrA

Banned
Have negative 5000 interest in Rush Duel but there's no doubt it is a smash hit among younger Japanese. Konami played a wise bet.

FTlnw8Q.jpeg

The anime is actually decent I will admit. It embraces being a kids show & just having fun with the game. Being serious hasn't worked particularly well for Yugioh since 5D's.
Pwow, I never played yugioh or cared about yugioh but that is quite the departure in art direction

Bodomism

Banned
The uk is still the third largest console market, plus you seem to forget the uk is crucial for all that sweet sweet fifa ultimate team money
UK is nowhere near Japan in term of hardware and software sales. For example Nintendo Switch sold around 6M alone in Japan last year while all consoles combined in UK sold around 3M last year.

UK sales is comparatively in the same bracket as Germany and France. China is another emerging market where Nintendo Switch could potentially sold more than in UK.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Nothing topping 100K sales and everything except #1 near the 20K range. Seems like a Japan isn’t really relevant anymore as a consumer market.

Smart move by Sony to pivot from the declining Japanese market IMO.
Currently, there are 4.3M units of hardware sold in Japan in just 8 months alone which is bigger than the entire year of UK, France, and Germany hardware sales.

MrA

Banned
Nothing topping 100K sales and everything except #1 near the 20K range. Seems like a Japan isn’t really relevant anymore as a consumer market.

Smart move by Sony to pivot from the declining Japanese market IMO.
Single week , outside of the us, every other country would have less weekly activity, as an example the ps4 sold more total units in Japan than any other country except the us

Marty-McFly

Banned

FTlnw8Q.jpeg

It looks like all of these Japanese centric franchises are finding a comfortable home on the Switch.

MrA

Banned
konami is back
primarily with hudson soft properties.. and whatever Yu gi oh counts as, but at least it's a start. maybe in a few years konami will grace us with a new castlevania or metal gear that isn't a pachinko machine with a tasteless title

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yet the home console edition of Switch is outselling the portable only Lite nearly 7:1, curious.

| NSW L | 14.186 |
| NSW | 75.546 |
There is no home console version of Switch. Every Switch is portable. Some Switches can be docked.

There really isn't anything curious about the distribution between lite and original. It really just comes down to preference in how people want to be able to use them. If anything it shows that people prefer to have options.

Hezekiah

Banned
30 NPD months wins straight in North America for Switch
PS5 dips under 10 k in Japan

Welp I guess there is always the UK charts :messenger_grinning_squinting:
I guess Sony will have to settle for the fastest selling console in NPD history. And being top dog in the EMEAA region 🤷.

I do wish they'd make more games like Ring Fit Adventure though 😁.

noshten

Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl are likely to debut with at least 1.5 million physical units in Japan.
It's possible it's even one of the Top 5 physical launches for Pokemon in the country. The userbase of the Switch is now 20 million while Sword/Shield launched with 1.36 million physical sales on 10 million Switches, with twice as big of an audience launch weeks become larger.
However it's unlikely for the Remakes to outsell Diamond/Pearl's or Sword/Shield's lifetime sales as both those games surpassed 5 million; but I can see the launch being bigger than both.
For Arceus I'm still uncertain if I need to be expecting a performance it like a mainline game or a spin-off like Lets Go.
This is still shaping up like the strongest fiscal year for Pokemon Co on the Switch - Pokemon Snap, Brilliant Diamon/Shining Pearl, Arceus is probably going to lead to their highest number of total sales in a FY.

Top 5 Pokemon Physical Launches
  1. [NDS] Pokemon Black/White - 2.63M
  2. [3DS] Pokemon X/Y - 2.09M
  3. [3DS] Pokemon Sun/Moon - 1.9M
  4. [NDS] Pokemon Black/White 2 - 1.61M
  5. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond/Pearl - 1.58M

In terms of Switch hardware, 2020 has almost caught up to 2021(gap is a little over 50K) and 2020 will take the lead as Nintendo likely scales down supply in preparation for OLED launch. The final Quarter this year Switch is still likely to push Switch to surpass 2020's result. OLED, Pokemon Remakes, SMT V, Mario Party, Metroid are very much the thing that will drive the final Quarter above what the Switch managed in 2020. Momotaro, Pikmin 3 Deluxe & Age of Calamity were the best selling games last year and Nintendo shipped over 2 million units to Japan, this year Q4 can have a stronger Q4 result due to far more software launching in the fall both the games I've mentioned and a lot of other third party titles
I think that the head to head between 2020 and 2021 for hardware peak year of the Switch in Japan will go down to the wire.. but I'm still expecting 2021 to come out on top.

Last edited:
Currently, there are 4.3M units of hardware sold in Japan in just 8 months alone which is bigger than the entire year of UK, France, and Germany hardware sales.
Yeah. JP is as big as UK, France and Germany combined, when it comes to dedicated hardware sales.

And that's after the JP market dropped a lot.

noshten

Konami is too strong

hiska's graphs from the data Chris posted for CY 2020 Media Create results

2021-06-05-13-45-42.jpg

This year will be 2.5 million physical software at the very least, their strategy is paying off in Japan in a big way.
Pretty great results considering they have around 400 developers in-house, considering their other businesses have been hit by the pandemic - I can see them outsourcing/licensing some of their IPs in order to double down on the Switch.

Number of titles per year:

2015 - 3 [PS3/PS4] Winning Eleven 2016, [PS3/PS4/X1] Metal Gear Solid V, [PS3/PS4] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015
2016 - 4 [PS3/PS4] Winning Eleven EURO 2016, [PS3/PS4/PSV] Pro Baseball 2016, [PS3/PS4] Winning Eleven 2017, [3DS] Pro Baseball Heroes
2017 - 3 [NSW/PS4] Super Bomberman R, [3DS] 100% Pascal Sensei, [PS3/PS4] Winning Eleven 2018,
2018 - 4 [PS4] Metal Gear Survive, [PS4/PSV] Pro Baseball 2018, [PS4] Winning Eleven 2019, [PS4] Zone of the Enders
2019 - 3 [NSW] Pro Baseball, [PS4/PSV] Baseball Spirits 2019, [PS4] Winning Eleven 2020
2020 - 3 [PS4/NSW] Pro Baseball 2020, [PS4] efootball 2021 Season Update, [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu
2021 - 5 [NSW] Baseball Spirits 2021, [PS4/PS5] eFootball 2022(F2P), [NSW] Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel, [NSW] Power Prokun Pocket R, [NSW] Girl’s Side 4th Heart

Konami Switch/PS4 Top 15
  1. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu - 2.322.950
  2. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 448.554
  3. [NSW] Pro Baseball 2020 - 297.187
  4. [NSW] Super Bomberman R3 - 275.029
  5. [PS4] Pro Baseball Spirits 2019 - 259.227
  6. [PS4] Pro Baseball 2018 - 255.850
  7. [NSW] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball - 248.024
  8. [PS4] Pro Baseball 2016 - 208.867
  9. [PS4] Pro Baseball 2020 - 189.649
  10. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2019 - 182.539
  11. [NSW] Pro Baseball Spirits 2021 - 159.492
  12. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 - 158.066
  13. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 151.860
  14. [PS4] eFootball Winning Eleven 2020 - 126.109
  15. [NSW] Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel - 96.297
Outside of Metal Gear Solid & PES eFootball which is becoming free to play most of their efforts in the past few years have been on the Switch.
They no longer have the capability to make AAA games or compete in that market but this is by far their most successful period in Japan since early 00's.
With growth likely to continue into 2022 it will be interesting how they reinvest considering all their non-gaming divisions have been hit hard by the pandemic

Last edited:

FTlnw8Q.jpeg

Battle City was the best season of Yu-Gi-Oh in my opinion. Granted, I haven't really kept up with Yu-Gi-Oh since GX, so maybe I'm wrong, but to me, 2002-2006 was the best time to be a Yu-Gi-Oh fan. Not only was the anime at its peak, but you had the Egyptian God cards, awesome sets like Pharaoh's Servant and Invasion Of Chaos (I remember when Chaos decks were everywhere), stuff like beatdown and burn/stall decks were still viable, the introduction of the banlist due to how broken Yata-lock decks were, etc.

I would love to get a bunch of old cards and start playing goat format for old times sake. I eventually want to learn how to play modern format, but it's just so intimidating seeing how much the game has changed since the good ol' days and how complex it's gotten. Link summons? XYZ? Pendulum cards? I'm a Yu-Gi-Oh boomer, I don't know what any of that stuff is. I'd love to learn, but it's just so daunting.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Battle City was the best season of Yu-Gi-Oh in my opinion. Granted, I haven't really kept up with Yu-Gi-Oh since GX, so maybe I'm wrong, but to me, 2002-2006 was the best time to be a Yu-Gi-Oh fan. Not only was the anime at its peak, but you had the Egyptian God cards, awesome sets like Pharaoh's Servant and Invasion Of Chaos (I remember when Chaos decks were everywhere), stuff like beatdown and burn/stall decks were still viable, the introduction of the banlist due to how broken Yata-lock decks were, etc.

I would love to get a bunch of old cards and start playing goat format for old times sake. I eventually want to learn how to play modern format, but it's just so intimidating seeing how much the game has changed since the good ol' days and how complex it's gotten. Link summons? XYZ? Pendulum cards? I'm a Yu-Gi-Oh boomer, I don't know what any of that stuff is. I'd love to learn, but it's just so daunting.

The Japanese version of 5D's is worth checking out. It opts for Incan imagery rather than Egyptian and has a cool cast of characters & some nice duels. It was largely disregarded at release for its premise of card games on motorcycles which is indeed a stupid premise, but it turns out anime can make dumb things entertaining. At the end of the day its still a show for 12 year olds, so it may not be your thing anymore.

8nkm6Im.jpg

As for getting back into the card game, you could always ease yourself in with Legacy of the Duelist. It has updated versions on PC, Switch, and PS4. You go through 25 major battles in each era so you'll get to know how to do Fusion, Synchro, XYZ, Pendulum, and Link with pre-created decks. Its a great way to learn the game again.

81nKb5FnlcL._SL1500_.jpg

Make sure its the Link Evolution version, which has the updated rules.

There's also the Tag Force games on PSP but if you're looking for retro Chaos unfortunately those cards were already banned by that point LOL

The Japanese version of 5D's is worth checking out. It opts for Incan imagery rather than Egyptian and has a cool cast of characters & some nice duels. It was largely disregarded at release for its premise of card games on motorcycles which is indeed a stupid premise, but it turns out anime can make dumb things entertaining. At the end of the day its still a show for 12 year olds, so it may not be your thing anymore.

8nkm6Im.jpg

As for getting back into the card game, you could always ease yourself in with Legacy of the Duelist. It has updated versions on PC, Switch, and PS4. You go through 25 major battles in each era so you'll get to know how to do Fusion, Synchro, XYZ, Pendulum, and Link with pre-created decks. Its a great way to learn the game again.

81nKb5FnlcL._SL1500_.jpg

Make sure its the Link Evolution version, which has the updated rules.

There's also the Tag Force games on PSP but if you're looking for retro Chaos unfortunately those cards were already banned by that point LOL
Hey thanks for the recommendation! I really appreciate it!

I used to have Reshef Of Destruction and Eternal Duelist Soul for GBA and loved them both.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Man, the art of yugioh is horrendous.

No wonder when I play Kart 8 late at night 90% of the opponents seem to be Japanese. The game is four years old and still selling like hotcakes there.

Ozzie666

It's like the 80's and early 90's all over again, NES and SNES domination in the charts. I often wonder if this is the perfect storm of tapping into the mobile mentality, if Japan is a taste of the future, the past or something completely different. I wonder if this trend will take over the rest of the world, my understanding is outside of Japan, people use the Switch docked.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Its a hybrid Kenshin, keep telling yourself its a home console….
That's a step up from the "it's a portable" excuse used earlier.

Why do you think the home console aspect of it is several times more desirable than the portable only option in Japan?

And what was your take on the Vita's sales in Japan?

Three

Gold Member
That's a step up from the "it's a portable" excuse used earlier.

Why do you think the home console aspect of it is several times more desirable than the portable only option in Japan?

And what was your take on the Vita's sales in Japan?
Because that one has more options and costs less

Top Bottom