• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu sales week 12

ethomaz

Banned
I mean..... do you think scalpers are just buying systems and stockpiling them for the apocalypse? The whole point of scalping is flipping it for a quick buck. Scalped systems are going to make their way to end users very quickly, and those users are going to need games to play.

I don’t buy “scalpers” as an explanation for the poor game sales. Makes no sense.
The scalpers always made no sense... it is a very small part of the console sold.

I mean in a million units sold you have like 30-50k units being scalpers.

People created that myth because they couldn’t get a PS5 but even without scalpers you won’t get one easy... it just the demand is too high right now... even so most GAFers got a PS5 even with all these “massive” scalpers.

And now are creating the myth that people are buying consoles and not games that is actually false... PS5 is selling software like any new system on the market.

People forget that even at the end of gen a successful console has a attach rate around 10 games brought per console.

People around lunch buys 1 game across several options.... though the year they buy more two-three games again across several options.

Individual game sales will be a small fraction of the user base near the launch... even more for niche games.

It is just the flopped PS5 narrative died and now they need to focus on flopped PS5 games.

Last edited:

Woopah

I mean..... do you think scalpers are just buying systems and stockpiling them for the apocalypse? The whole point of scalping is flipping it for a quick buck. Scalped systems are going to make their way to end users very quickly, and those users are going to need games to play.

I don’t buy “scalpers” as an explanation for the poor game sales. Makes no sense.
Its possible that a large amount of PS5s are being shipped to China and other South-East Asia countries, and that quite a few games are being sold there but we just don't have visibility of them. Maybe that isn't happening but its an option.

Its possible that a large amount of PS5s are being shipped to China and other South-East Asia countries, and that quite a few games are being sold there but we just don't have visibility of them. Maybe that isn't happening but its an option.
This is correct.
Also its FOMO.
You just want the system now and spend $800 on it, so you might not spend money on games, but rather play your old ones on the new system.

In Europe Ps5 scalping will be happening until 2022. Prices are going up again. Might hit 1k again.

Sue canal blockade is no joke for Europe

Woopah

The scalpers always made no sense... it is a very small part of the console sold.

People created that myth because they couldn’t get a PS5 but even without scalpers you won’t get one easy... it just the demand is too high right now... even so most GAFers got a PS5 even with all these “massive” scalpers.

And now are creating the myth that people are buying consoles and not games that is actually false... PS5 is selling software like any new system on the market.
Which platforms do you think sold software like PS5 in Japan 3+ months after launch?
This is correct.
Also its FOMO.
You just want the system now and spend $800 on it, so you might not spend money on games, but rather play your old ones on the new system.

In Europe Ps5 scalping will be happening until 2022. Prices are going up again. Might hit 1k again.

Sue canal blockade is no joke for Europe
I think the main reason is line up. People like the PS5 hardware but there isn't too much that appeals to the Japanese audience at the moment so they are waiting for games like Village and Scarlet Nexus.

shoegaze

Can somebody illuminate why NSW is selling like hotcakes? Why do gamers in Japan have such limited taste? Why do they play inferior versions of some games?

Is this a social thing? (Same as Americans loving their iPhones) I'm not taking a piss, I would like someone to take some time out of their day to explain this if possible. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Woopah

Can somebody illuminate why NSW is selling like hotcakes? Why do gamers in Japan have such limited taste? Why do they play inferior versions of some games?

Is this a social thing? (Same as Americans loving their iPhones) I'm not taking a piss, I would like someone to take some time out of their day to explain this if possible. :messenger_downcast_sweat:
The reasons for it selling like hotcakes in Japan is the same as why its selling like hotcakes in North America, Europe and the rest of Asia:

1. Software - Switch has a several of the world's largest video game franchises on it. These franchises are in a wide variety of genres so the platform appeals to a wide range of people. Plus, unlike past Nintendo systems, the third party support is increasing not decreasing, so between the tent pole releases there are a bunch of other things for people to play
2. Flexibility - Unlike the 3D display or tablet controller, Switch's hardware gimmick of being able to switch between different playstyles is actually something a large amount of people are interested in (and it also broadens the appeal of the platform).

The only things which are Japan-specific are (and these are less important than the reasons above):

1. Relative to other platforms, Switch's third party support from Japan is stronger than it is from the West (excluding indies)
2. Japan is a market that likes portable systems, but even then the more expensive Switch hybrid is much more popular that the cheaper Switch Lite (again showing the importance of flexibility).

Hope that answers the question, limited taste or inferior versions have nothing to do with it.

Bodomism

Banned

They channel it to outside of Japan and most likely to China and other asian countries.

Bodomism

Banned
Software ratio comparison of top 5 games on PS5 and NSW after 19 weeks

NSW - 1.077.352
Top 5 software
1. MK8D - 524.829
2. BOTW - 471.412
3. 1-2 Switch - 203.437
4. SBR - 92.112
5. DQ heroes - 48.444
Attach rate of top 5 ~125%

PS5 - 517.916
Top 5 software
1. Spiderman MM - 43.692
2. DeS - 40.489
3. COD CW - 6.045
4. GodFall - 5.342
5 AC Valhalla - 4.227
Attach rate of top 5 ~20%

Scalpers are really hurting PS5 software situation in Japan.

MagnesG

Banned

SCALPERS SEND STOCKS OFF TO OTHER COUNTRIES LIKE CHINA, AND SOUTHEAST ASIAN COUNTRIES (SINGAPORE, PHILIPPINES, MALAYSIA, INDONESIA, etc). Imagine sharing that 30-50k units every week between Japan, China, and a bunch of other countries. The whole thing's fucked, Sony fucked up the PS market for Asia big time this whole time around.

Some people are just so extremely retarded that we have to remind them again and again. They thought they are so smart to not believe what other people that LIVED THERE had said, multiple times.

I live in Japan and the PS5 is sold out anywhere, the lines from the pictures in case of PS5, it's not like anyone can buy it right now, you need a credit card from the shop to be eligible to buy it. All other shops have a lottery system in place.

Shaqazooloo

The more time passes and the more scalper excuses are retarded. Ps5 is tracking ahead of ps4 right now.
Exactly.

People try to make scalpers bigger than what it is.

Gamers are getting most of the PS5 shipped.
I live in Japan and the PS5 is sold out anywhere, the lines from the pictures in case of PS5, it's not like anyone can buy it right now, you need a credit card from the shop to be eligible to buy it. All other shops have a lottery system in place.
Okay... why are the software sales so abysmal?

Hosam6xavi

Banned

Woopah

Monster Hunter Rise Ships 4 Million Units Globally!

Crazy figures, I bet lifetime the Switch version will double that.

noshten

Top 5 3DS/PSP Monster Hunters:
  1. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (2010) - 2.146.467 / 4.840.930
  2. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (2008) - 823.265 / 4.226.265
  3. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (2013) - 1.875.115 / 3.591.334
  4. [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations (2015) - 1.542.104 / 2.832.833
  5. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (2014) - 1.617.949 / 2.617.803
Knowing that Monster Hunter Rise's launch is over 2 million with digital in Japan. We are looking at likely either the 1st or 2nd biggest launch in the franchise in Japan with only Monster Hunter Freedom 3 on the PSP in 2010 as potentially having sold more.
Based on retailer information, I think that it didn't manage over 1.7M physical, due to stock problems. But we will probably get an early report from Famitsu in the next few days.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that because its highly unlikely for Capcom to launch another Monster Hunter on the Switch in the next few years, outside of a Rise Expansion - the title will be the leggiest of the bunch. We shall see how well it holds up but if we take Momotaro or 1st Party games legs as a barometer, it could very easily become the best selling Monster Hunter game in Japan of all time by the end of 2022.
The first additional content is arriving in April probably for Golden Week, so that would provide good insight into how the additional content might impact legs for the title going forward.

ComG!

[PS4] Monster Hunter World
orders FW: 2410 pt
Famitsu FW: 1.350.412

[3DS] Monster Hunter X
orders FW: 3806 pt
Famitsu FW: 1.542.104

[3DS] Monster Hunter XX
orders FW: 2144 pt
Famitsu FW: 1.014.584

[NSW] Monster Hunter Rise
orders FW: 1843 pt
Famitsu FW: ?

Last edited:

Note that Japan sees an almost 50/50 split between Switch and Switch Lite. The Switch is selling so well in Japan because it's the only portable console left on the market, and for specific cultural reasons (small apartments and long commutes on public transit) the Japanese really love portable consoles.

I mean duh, the Switch Lite launched two and a half years after the Switch. . .look at how much they're actually selling per week currently.
From september 20, 2019: the nsw lite launch date

NSW: 6.396.273
NSW Lite: 3.449.619

It's so far from a 50/50, sorry but you need look more numbers, and NSW docked has many stock issues since 1 month, not nsw lite. Japanase people prefer NSW docked, so far.

Last edited:
Tell me what is this "inferior versions" game you talked about.
Not him, but basically every third party game also on other platforms is the inferior version outside of visual novels in which case the Switch version is generally the exact same and therefor the best version due to portability.

Shaqazooloo

Is it? I really don’t see any data showing that or the opposite.
This week PS5 sold 35k but none of its software sold above 1.8k units. Also this comparison by Bodomism.

Edit: I meant 25k PS5
Software ratio comparison of top 5 games on PS5 and NSW after 19 weeks

NSW - 1.077.352
Top 5 software
1. MK8D - 524.829
2. BOTW - 471.412
3. 1-2 Switch - 203.437
4. SBR - 92.112
5. DQ heroes - 48.444
Attach rate of top 5 ~125%

PS5 - 517.916
Top 5 software
1. Spiderman MM - 43.692
2. DeS - 40.489
3. COD CW - 6.045
4. GodFall - 5.342
5 AC Valhalla - 4.227
Attach rate of top 5 ~20%

Scalpers are really hurting PS5 software situation in Japan.

Last edited:
Ewb30-CVcAMBEyu

ExY6L3wVgAIfEEC

ExY41ooU8AEr9uh

Last edited:
From september 20, 2019: the nsw lite launch date

NSW: 6.396.273

It's so far from a 50/50, sorry but you need look more numbers, and NSW docked has many stock issues since 1 month, not nsw lite. Japanase people prefer NSW docked, so far.
So how far back do you have to go to find the Switch fat significantly outselling Switch Lite?

So how far back do you have to go to find the Switch fat significantly outselling Switch Lite?

NSW docked: 6.396.273

it's not enough significantly for you???

Numbers from september 16 - 22, 2019 (nsw lite launch: september 20, 2019) to march 15 - 21 2021

Last edited:
NSW docked: 6.396.273

it's not enough significantly for you???

Numbers from september 16 - 22, 2019 (nsw lite launch: september 20, 2019) to march 15 - 21 2021
We're discussing current sales, aren't we? My assertion is that currently the Switch Lite sells roughly on par with the Switch fat in Japan, and that this accounts for much of the continued success of the console there. So how far back do you have to go to find a month where the Switch fat significantly outsold the Switch Lite in Japan?

Bodomism

Banned
Dude, NSW hybrid has been consistently outselling NSW lite in a regular basis and it's currently managed to sell at the same level as Hybrid Switch in recent weeks thanks to Hybrid stock issues.

Switch hybrid is selling 2 times more than Switch lite after the lite launched on the market.

Current LTD for both versions
NSW hybrid = 15,368,232
NSW lite = 3,449,619

It's not even a contest lol.

Bodomism

Banned
We're discussing current sales, aren't we? My assertion is that currently the Switch Lite sells roughly on par with the Switch fat in Japan, and that this accounts for much of the continued success of the console there. So how far back do you have to go to find a month where the Switch fat significantly outsold the Switch Lite in Japan?
silpheed-mcd silpheed-mcd has posted many pictures of retailers without hybrid Switch in stores. Don't be lazy and take a look at those pictures.

Bodomism

Banned
No, numbers of scalpers in Tokyo and Japan are awful, look my old pictures, everywhere, everytime, awful, i never saw that, awful, really, yodobashi use gold card point not for pleasure... or this....

Seriously, some people here are being defensive about scalpers fiasco in Japan and calling it doesn't seriously affected the market while PS5 with abysmal software sales in the land of physical sales like Japan thanks to the scalpers.

It's a nationwide issues in Japan.

Woopah

Why would you assert this when we know for a fact that it is false? Switch Lite adds to the sales absolutely, but the more expensive hybrid version is way more popular than the Switch Lite.

Woopah

Is he including digital data?
Because you are comparing 19 weeks pre COVID-19 vs 19 weeks post COVID-19.
Even if 70 percent of PS5's full price game sales were digital (which I'd say is unlikely) the software numbers would be very low. Digital alone doesn't explain what's happening.
Based on the sales figures, I hope Sony still focus in Japanese game development.
With FF and Forspoken Sony have shown they are willing to pay for third party Japanese games. They'll still get the AAA stuff (just maybe not the smaller, Japan-focused titles).

noshten

According to analysts in China, there are 4 million Switches; while officially Tencent only sold 1 million - now obviously not all 3 million came from Japan but it's definitely a factor as to why there are shortages for the system.

It's the same with Ring Fit Adventure before its official launch in China, in Japan the game would sell at 50-60% premium despite the game selling 20-30K per week. Once Ring Fit officially launched in China suddenly price went down to a 30% premium. Are these things coincidental? Not really, as we very well know China is the fastest-growing major economy, with a huge middle class and popular products have one of the largest markets to sell to even if they aren't officially launched there. The game launched officially in September of 2020, but we know that demand was soaring during the early part of the year driving the price up in Japan.

These are just two examples but can paint a picture, even if 30% of PS5 are sold overseas that's 30% of the hardware sold so far that is not going to lead to physical sales in Japan. It's just too lucrative for scalpers at the moment with the resell price of PS5 and the close proximity to China where PS5 hasn't launched officially.

To me, the larger issue in Japan remains software line-up, second-hand market, and backward compatibility.
  • Software line-up is atrocious and pretty much the first high-profile game launching on the system Is Resident Evil: Village(six months after the launch) but the franchise is likely to see a further decline, as it's been on a downward trend since the PS3 days.
  • Second-hand market of PS4 games ensures that new PS5 owners are buying older games that don't really help publishers but at least are helping retailers
  • Backward compatibility means that your old library of games is available to you, so you don't really have to wait for new titles - especially as some PS4 games are getting updates
So if there is an enthusiastic PlayStation user-base they are also the likely consumers to have a large library of PS4 games that they can play on the PS5, also most PS5 games are cross-gen at the moment making things even muddier. Like I've said in the past if we see PS5 sell over 50K for three weeks in a row, we might actually get some answers but with the current hardware numbers, it's difficult to get some kinda insight about the actual demand.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I will give a little update here on MHR here because some guys seems to be off the actual shipment.

From the 4 million shipped... 2 million come to Japan.
Around 40% of sales where digital but I’m not sure if related to the 4m or just Japan.

It was shared hours ago but seems people in denial like usual I don’t know why.

IMO I believe the digital part is about WW só Japan is probably a bit lower at around 30% but it can be proved being 40% for Japan after we are in COVID-19 times that made digital have a big increase.

2m is basically the same MHW shipment at launch.

Last edited:

noshten

From the Capcom Leak
Monster Hunter World base game sold 3.1 million in Japan, so after the initial shipment it managed 1.1 million more.
The main reason for this lack of legs is that basically it's launch coincided with the software peak of the PS4 and subsequently the system rapidly declined in 2019/2020. 2018 was already an year of a slight decline in hardware; and PS4 as a whole was never able to reach 2 million hardware per year. Because hardware/software sales were sluggish and Switch was already flexing it's position as the market leader, MHW never did manage the same type of legs prior entries were able to reach.

Monster Hunter World Legs
  1. Famitsu Sales: Week 4, 2018 (Jan 22 - Jan 28) - 1.350.412 / NEW (93%)
  2. Famitsu Sales: Week 5, 2018 (Jan 29 - Feb 04) - 223.274 (-83%)
  3. Famitsu Sales: Week 6, 2018 (Feb 05 - Feb 11) - 114.740 (-49%)
  4. Famitsu Sales: Week 7, 2018 (Feb 12 - Feb 18) - 85.762 (-25%)
  5. Famitsu Sales: Week 8, 2018 (Feb 19 - Feb 25) - 54.915 (-36%)
  6. Famitsu Sales: Week 9, 2018 (Feb 26 - Mar 04) - 38.504 (-30%)
  7. Famitsu Sales: Week 10, 2018 (Mar 05 - Mar 11) - 24.351 (-37%)
  8. Famitsu Sales: Week 11, 2018 (Mar 12 - Mar 18) - 14.610 (-40%)
  9. Famitsu Sales: Week 12, 2018 (Mar 19 - Mar 25) - 10.924 (-25%)
  10. Famitsu Sales: Week 13, 2018 (Mar 26 - Apr 01) - 7.480 (-32%)
  11. Famitsu Sales: Week 14, 2018 (Apr 02 - Apr 08) - 4.359 (-42%)
LAUNCH TOTAL: 1.350.412
POST LAUNCH 10 WEEKS: 578.919
FAMITSU TOTAL 2018: 1.949.592

When we look at Rise's launch, we are looking at just the initial stock Capcom and retailers allocated, as well as how much hardware Nintendo was able to supply. Sales are not going to follow the same path as a system like PS4 which was in a decline. This year we are heading for Switch's hardware and software peak, so it's very likely that MHW lifetime sales will be surpassed by Rise by the end of April or early May, I very much doubt in 10 weeks time Monster Hunter Rise will be below 20K sales per week, or exiting the Top 30 at all this year.

The comparison is apples to oranges, World had a great launch but the system it was on - simply didn't provide it room to grow, Rise doesn't face the same challenge.

Last edited:

ComG! / Famitsu

[PS4] Monster Hunter World
orders FW: 2410 pt
Famitsu FW: 1.350.412

[3DS] Monster Hunter X
orders FW: 3806 pt
Famitsu FW: 1.542.104

[3DS] Monster Hunter XX
orders FW: 2144 pt
Famitsu FW: 1.014.584

[NSW] Monster Hunter Rise