• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu sales [1/16-1/22] "Fire Emblem Engage" tops the list!

Agreed to an extent but...outside of Zelda what major game is Nintendo bringing to Switch in 2023?

Without Zelda, Nintendo's 2023 calendar (thus far) looks scary and sad
Every January before the early year Direct there are people who say this.

FE, Pikmin 4, Kirby, Bayonetta Origins, Zelda, all before June, and that's not including games being held for the usual early year/ February Direct that dates the calendar usually through end of summer.

Also worth it to bear in mind that Switch enters year 7 in March, and consoles normally never last that long without a successor being introduced. So I would expect a quieter calendar overall until new hardware comes, especially once we get into early 2024.

Last edited:
I didn’t realize Sony has fallen so far behind in Japan.
Well, when you don't put any effort into releasing the types of games that are popular in Japan, you tend not to perform there very well. LOL.

Sony's dominance in Japan died with the PS3. And now they're turned completely global, and only care for major blockbuster-type games that sell well in Europe and the US, which has done very well for them. But at the expense of what used to be their bread & butter/ home turf. They wanted it like this!

NanaMiku

FE as expected, not attracting many users outside of the series' core fanbase. Sales are about dead even vs Three Houses, which came out 3 1/2 years ago, and released when the Switch install base in Japan was only 8.5 million. I don't know that Nintendo was necessarily expecting it to attract new users, given how focused the marketing was on fan-favorite characters. But maybe if they do eventually work on a follow-up to Three Houses, and reemphasize the story again, it may attract more people outside of the FE base. Probably would be saved for the next-generation hardware, though.

I sort of feel like FE is like Xenoblade, in that B-tier range of Nintendo series, with steady/ consistent numbers for each game, really no drop-off in sales, but new entries never really are successful at bringing in new users. Despite the Switch base being so gigantic.
It's a lot better than before though. Before Awakening, Fire Emblem was really in bad place. I think it's just in general strategy games are hard to sell

It's a lot better than before though. Before Awakening, Fire Emblem was really in bad place. I think it's just in general strategy games are hard to sell
Yeah, absolutely. I guess my only point really is that the audience for the game hasn't grown since summer 2019, despite the Switch base growing by 20 million in Japan in that time. Which I find pretty interesting, just as a statistic.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well, when you don't put any effort into releasing the types of games that are popular in Japan, you tend not to perform there very well. LOL.

Sony's dominance in Japan died with the PS3. And now they're turned completely global, and only care for major blockbuster-type games that sell well in Europe and the US, which has done very well for them. But at the expense of what used to be their bread & butter/ home turf. They wanted it like this!

Sooooo.....

Video Game Fantasy GIF by Square Enix

project-eve-action-game.gif

4813d501b7c8e9350da34edc484d4b68.gif

f424620adf49a7b48dc43697324dd2dd.gif

I think they are finding their "Asian" side again.

Last edited:
Sooooo.....

I think they are finding their "Asian" side again.
Sales would disagree with you, though! FF isn't Sony, they just moneyhat to keep it off Xbox for a year or two. Ghost is a great game but didn't move the needle in the Japanese market for them. I think PS5 is poised to be by far their lowest-selling console in Japan, ever. And not all of that is related to the overall contraction in the Japanese market due to the aging population and the ubiquity of mobile. Modern Sony caters their games to western audiences.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

FE as expected, not attracting many users outside of the series' core fanbase. Sales are about dead even vs Three Houses, which came out 3 1/2 years ago, and released when the Switch install base in Japan was only 8.5 million. I don't know that Nintendo was necessarily expecting it to attract new users, given how focused the marketing was on fan-favorite characters. But maybe if they do eventually work on a follow-up to Three Houses, and reemphasize the story again, it may attract more people outside of the FE base. Probably would be saved for the next-generation hardware, though.

I sort of feel like FE is like Xenoblade, in that B-tier range of Nintendo series, with steady/ consistent numbers for each game, really no drop-off in sales, but new entries never really are successful at bringing in new users. Despite the Switch base being so gigantic.
this is both right and so wrong.

Its true that ENGAGE won't attract a large number of new players(as much as i would like if it did)

But you need to consider how much the series has grown since 2013, Fire Emblem Awakening was a hit after years of the series bombing(Fire Emblem was barely recognized in the west) , and ended up selling 1.9 million units on 3DS, Fire Emblem FATES sold 3 million units across 2/3 versions, no small talk for a dedicated portable game. Then Fire Emblem Three Houses crossed 4 million units, while being one of the ugliest motherfuckers i ever seen on Switch

these are all significant increases for a JRPG strategy game, and note most units sold at FULL price, not a small investment by any means. they only look poor in comparison to mainstream Nintendo series otherwise, not all genres/brands have the same appeal

At this point core gamers are looking forward to moving away from aging Switch graphics and can't stop talking about Switch 2, many others are looking at other titles(see Hogwarts Legacy), Fire Emblem Engage will be 'somewhat' ignored because of this, but it should do strong numbers regardless.

The next Fire Emblem after Engage will feel "new" again and attract more players assuming the Switch 2 is not a colossal failure

Edit:talking about worldwide sales obv 😋

(as for Xenoblade, that game is incredibly time consuming with lots of confusing mechanics and menus,and an artstyle not everybody likes, it sells well for what it is on the Switch, way more than previous generations, its a series that was born on the late years of the Wii, got an spinoff on Wii U and only a port on new 3DSXl,give it some slack)

Last edited:
After 4 weeks PS5 is already 80k up on last year, 171k to 91k. If Sony can provide enough units then PS5 could sell 2 million in 2023, something that the PS4 couldn't achieve.

PS4 v PS5 Famitsu sales.

PS4

2014:
926k (released Feb)
2015: 1.21 million
2016: 1.79 million
2017: 1.94 million
2018: 1.69 million
2019: 1.20 million
2020: 543k
2021: 104k
2022: 23k
Total: 9.42 mllion

PS5

2020:
255k (released Nov)
2021: 968k
2022: 1.15 million

Last edited:
Sales would disagree with you, though! FF isn't Sony, they just moneyhat to keep it off Xbox for a year or two. Ghost is a great game but didn't move the needle in the Japanese market for them. I think PS5 is poised to be by far their lowest-selling console in Japan, ever. And not all of that is related to the overall contraction in the Japanese market due to the aging population and the ubiquity of mobile. Modern Sony caters their games to western audiences.

Eh, its not just about software, every significant 3rd party japanese game releases on playstation, which is something not even nintendo can say cause they don’t get the AAA titles like Elden Ring and Yakuza, and probably won’t get Kingdom Hearts and others this gen.

They are just going portable/mobile and people can deny that all they want but the writing is on the wall for Japans home console market

Top Bottom