• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

False "saving" with switching to PC

Durante

Well, personally, when I say that I save money by gaming on PC, what I mean is that I save money by gaming on PC. Not that "individual gamer constructed not to save money by gaming on PC saves money by gaming on PC" or "everyone saves money by gaming on PC". You'd think that would be obvious.

That said, even individual day 1 releases are cheaper on PC - often significantly so.

And that's before getting into the whole $100/year to play online thing.

That's in no way specific to the console market though.
There is, and has been, a healthy mid-market on PC for a while now while it was dying off on consoles completely during the previous generation. If anything, a few of those PC games coming to consoles is even helping revive that segment there a bit. (Recent examples include Talos Principle, Wasteland 2, Tropico 5 and DIvinity: OS)
Edit: it should be noted that the mid-market on consoles did not die off completely in Japan (with developers like Gust and individual projects such as Nier), which is a a major reason I actually bought quite a few games on consoles during the last generation.

But is the resell price typically higher than PC sale price?

Even if one bought the game at launch and then immediately sells it when the game's beaten, I doubt the money is going to make up for the usual launch price disparity between consoles and PC.

It actually does quite easily, especially if you pack in the preorder crap that you don't want, but somebody will pay extra for.

Just as some people don't know where to buy cheaper PC games and buy full price through the Steam Australian store, some people just don't know how to sell stuff either.

Gaogaogao

aint nothing false about the savings

Battlefront on PS4/Xbox: R999 ($65)

Battlefront on PC: R499 ($32)

The choice is easy for me

the issue with battlefront (and bf hardline, and many other 'console' multiplayer games) is the player base is going to be way bigger and last longer on console than on pc.

with bf4/ bf5 being a rare exception.

Kezen

Banned
I suppose I'm unprincipled for very seldom buying my games at MSRP prices.

I'll keep doing that though, if I can get my game for cheaper (legally obviously) then I won't hesitate.

Odrion

Banned
The only reason anyone would spend $600-700 on a videocard is because they are looking for an experience that consoles (or more reasonably priced computers) can't replicate.
you actually only need to spend $180 these days on a card that consoles can't replicate

the hardware in modern consoles reeeeeeeeeeaaally sucks

That I didn't thought of, how much extra does that (and the new copy DLC a la Arkham series) usually get you?

It is hard to break up, because you sell them together, but a classic example was FF Type 0, where you could sell the FF15 demo for just under the price of the game.

A shame it sucked, but what can you do.

Of course this is all a bit country dependent. For whatever reason console games are getting very low in australia at the moment. For example Fallout 4 was $59 Australian or about $40 US. While that might not sound amazing compared to PC deals, it holds up considering the going rate even on ebay is still much the same.

Apparently still having the "perk chart" is the big deal there.

Pranay

That's...more like a rental.

Depends on the games, if they are good sp experience I generally finish within a week

Rpg games I generally sell after a month or so and those generally have great sale value.

Anywwys I'm a floaty kind of gamer , I buy , play and sell them off. Don't prefer replaying games. Nor invest much time in multiplayer either.

It's hilarious the amount of hoops some people jump through to make it seem like PC gaming isn't a great deal. Reminds me of the last time this came up where that one guy had a meltdown about how his best buy gamer club sub was by far the best and cheapest way to get games this generation and invalidated PC gaming savings. Then when pressed admitted it was a specific 2 week period or something that you would need to buy it in for it to make sense that was long past.

Games are generally cheaper on the PC and there is no yearly fee for playing online games. Get over it.

UnrealEck

You save on games, but spend more for hardware. I need to upgrade my 2008 CPU just to keep up with the PlayStation

While I don't care about savings on PC that much since I buy too much hardware for it to be a good argument anyway, the premise of the op is pretty out there. It's pretty much the same type of argument people always bring up: That in the special case of some type of person who only want to play console centric titles on a console, PC isn't a very good deal.

bigjig

So the savings available on PC are "false" because some people don't know any better?

Slap a few graphs together OP and you've got yourself a Polygon article.

T.E.D

Banned
I think the OP is equating savings with ill-discipline. It's not exactly Walmarts fault that someone entering it's store has zero self-restraint. I haven't seen anyone, upon coming upon a sale at a store, say "f*** you! Now I'm going to have to buy your shit!"

If you want a game, you can get for cheaper on PC. As far as other people are using the buy and return approach, forgive me for being out of the loop on that one. I haven't bought and resold games in ten years being on PC and sometimes it's easy to forget that this is still occurring. Sounds to me like it's something people did in Victorian times. I think that's a trap many PC players fall into. They're so accustomed to having cheap products, all available at their fingertips, with no incentive to pre-order for fear of scarcity, that they tend to think that's the norm. It's not. There are still people out there that rely on mortar stores.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Op is in a denial phase about the reality of the pc market. It's OK. Plenty of people choose to make purchasing decisions that don't rely on the intrinsic fiscal value of a product. We don't think you less for it and neither should you. One you realize that you'll be a much happier person.

Hektor

Beeing too stupid/lazy to care about sales and cheap offers doesn't make those deals and sales disappear. Wtf is this for an argument.

Yes, PC gaming isn't cheaper if you ignore the cheaper deals. Shocking news?

And if you don't care about sales and deals, you probably didn't care about the fact that pcgaming is cheaper in the first place.

Pranay

Beeing too stupid/lazy to care about sales and cheap offers doesn't make those deals and sales disappear. Wtf is this for an argument.

Yes, PC gaming isn't cheaper if you ignore the cheaper deals. Shocking news?

Same applies to consoles as well. I have seen people saying console games are expensive when when cheaper deals do exist

Haunted

Everyone could be saving money by moving to PC gaming.

As with everything else related to PC gaming, how much you want to take advantage of the various opportunities and possibilities opening up is your personal choice.

:bow

Ombala

PC gamers don't understand the purchasing habits of the console market. Your typical console every-man is buying <6 titles a year. All at full price. All on day one. From a brick and mortar store. They don't care about shopping around, they don't care about sales, they don't care about indies, and they don't care about PC exclusives. They're not going to build their own PC. They're not going to troubleshoot or mess with settings. They don't care about mods. They're not going to research shit.

For that motherfucker, of which there are millions, there is no cost benefit to moving to PC gaming.

You're all imposing your own habits on the mass market - which is what the OP was talking about - and wondering why everyone doesn't see things the way you do. You are not the mass market.

Nevermind the irony of the same people who complain that AAA publishers either outright ignore and put no effort into PC gaming while bragging about buying their products on launch day for fractions of their full price.

Some days, you guys, some days...
Excellent post

Man your x360 game prices are way too high lol

Sonic Generations $50
Portal 2 $60?

Haven't spent more than $48 on a new release since Best Buy started their discount program.

real world prices you at best saved $30
Even if we take 20% off every console price, he still saves $93.75.

Consoles are cheaper short term and PCs are cheaper long term. Pretty sure it's that simple. There are obviously some caveats and there is no catch all but it's held pretty true for me and most of my friends. Paying for online really adds up.

I'm mainly a xbox gamer these days, but being in Brazil and going digital only made me save a lot.

First of all, it's pretty common in the Brazilian store for a game to get cheaper than usual when it pops up for preloading. I'm not sure it's intentional, but for many games that launched officially here at retail that has been the case: The game is cheaper for a few days, then it goes up to match the retail price.

Then there's sharing. On xbox it's very easy to setup, and each purchase grants you two licenses, so I'm literally buying two games for the price of one.

And at last, while I don't shop around for cheap download codes, it's very easy to find deals on ms store cards. Dunno how they do this, but I often purchase a $60 card for about $40 in the "Brazilian eBay", which is awesome because it stack up to digital sales too.

So, while I don't get the super ultra deals where a year after release a game costs about only $5 I'm buying games really close to launch, if not before and paying less than what I used to last gen. So yeah it's been great, and it's totally possible to save a few bucks on console gaming too.

Damigos

I am primarily a console gamer since i cannot stand the on going cost of having a decent pc. I take advantage of PSN sales, which usually are really good andi pay about 15-20 for AAA games about 6 months after their initial release.
I feel great about it because even in this state and despite spending around 4-5-6 hours per day gaming i still dont have time to play anythingi want.

PSN ID : Damigos, in case you need to check what i play.

I also love indies :)

T.E.D

Banned
I am primarily a console gamer since i cannot stand the on going cost of having a decent pc. I take advantage of PSN sales, which usually are really good andi pay about 15-20 for AAA games about 6 months after their initial release.
I feel great about it because even in this state and despite spending around 4-5-6 hours per day gaming i still dont have time to play anythingi want.

PSN ID : Damigos, in case you need to check what i play.

I also love indies :)

I don't understand this line of thinking and I believe it's coming from those with an agenda in addition to being spread through misinformation.

A friend of mine upgraded to PC back in 2010 (over three years prior to the current gen consoles releasing) and to this day, it still runs everything he throws at it to a better standard than what I've seen on this gens consoles. PC is anything but expensive and there are only on-going costs if you decide to continually engage in upgrading your machine on a regular basis which 99.9% of people don't.

In reality, you build a PC and it lasts you for years before you ever have to so much as even touch it.

I don't understand this line of thinking and I believe it's coming from those with an agenda in addition to being spread through misinformation.

A friend of mine upgraded to PC back in 2010 (over three years prior to the current gen consoles releasing) and to this day, it still runs everything he throws at it to a better standard than what I've seen on this gens consoles. PC is anything but expensive and there are only on-going costs if you decide to continually engage in upgrading your machine on a regular basis which 99.9% of people don't.

In reality, you build a PC and it lasts you for years before you ever have to so much as even touch it.

That's my line of thinking too. Put it this way I think you can keep a decent PC between 3-5 years if not more. Take the £40 a year you spend on PS+ that is £120-£200 saved. Spend that on a PC component instead, something that actually has value, not an intangible subscription.

T.E.D

Banned
That's my line of thinking too. Put it this way I think you can keep a decent PC between 3-5 years if not more. Take the £40 a year you spend on PS+ that is £120-£200 saved. Spend that on a PC component instead, something that actually has value, not an intangible subscription.

Absolutely. There is a very healthy market for second hand GPU's.

Wulfram

My current money saving plan is to have an older PC that can still do indie and general PC stuff, and a console for AAA releases.

petran79

Banned
PC gamers don't understand the purchasing habits of the console market. Your typical console every-man is buying <6 titles a year. All at full price. All on day one. From a brick and mortar store. They don't care about shopping around, they don't care about sales, they don't care about indies, and they don't care about PC exclusives. They're not going to build their own PC. They're not going to troubleshoot or mess with settings. They don't care about mods. They're not going to research shit.

For that motherfucker, of which there are millions, there is no cost benefit to moving to PC gaming.

You're all imposing your own habits on the mass market - which is what the OP was talking about - and wondering why everyone doesn't see things the way you do. You are not the mass market.

Nevermind the irony of the same people who complain that AAA publishers either outright ignore and put no effort into PC gaming while bragging about buying their products on launch day for fractions of their full price.

If you mean the teen/kid demographic, I agree. Most of them dont have credit cards and ask their parents or buy through pocket money
But adult console players with credit cards look for the best deals in online shops as well. They buy at 2/3-3/4 the full price at retail. One simply can not ignore that option anymore.

I don't agree with everything in this post, as I think all consumers are pretty price aware and shop's for deals, even your typical console everyman, but it does really hit the nail on the head in one regard, namely how important consoles are for AAA game development.

People and these boards and else where that clammer for the death of the console, completly fail to realize that without consoles a lot of AAA development wouldn't be feasible any more because of piracy and the lower price expectancy on PC. You might feel consoles are an antiquated concept, but the console consumers is important for the industry and without consoles Sony and Microsoft (and partly Nintendo) wouldn't be pouring billions into the industry to try to claim consumers and diversify their product and we would see less games overall.

So PC gamers: enjoy what you have, but when you talk down to the "ignorant console peasants", remember that these dudes are the ones that makes a lot of your hobby possible.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm as frugal a gamer as you could possibly get. I used to play the "flipping" game to amass credit to purchase console games with little out of pocket costs. It can be cheap if you know what you're doing, but PC gaming is still cheaper. It's not even close.

T.E.D

Banned
I don't agree with everything in this post, as I think all consumers are pretty price aware and shop's for deals, even your typical console everyman, but it does really hit the nail on the head in one regard, namely how important consoles are for AAA game development.

People and these boards and else where that clammer for the death of the console, completly fail to realize that without consoles a lot of AAA development wouldn't be feasible any more because of piracy and the lower price expectancy on PC. You might feel consoles are an antiquated concept, but the console consumers is important for the industry and without consoles Sony and Microsoft (and partly Nintendo) wouldn't be pouring billions into the industry to try to claim consumers and diversify their product and we would see less games overall.

So PC gamers: enjoy what you have, but when you talk down to the "ignorant console peasants", remember that these dudes are the ones that makes a lot of your hobby possible.

Piracy is far more prominent on consoles than PC according to numerous tech companies. And as far as console gaming goes, according to Microsoft itself, exchanging games to buy console games second hand is vastly more destructive to the industry as a whole than a simple pirate. In any event, piracy on PC has taken a nosedive with the introduction of distribution platforms such as GOG and Steam.

Csr

So your argument is that a theoretical person who doesn't want to shop around, wants to buy everything day one and doesn't care or will never care for few months old games or indies doens't save anything from going to pc gaming.

First of all that varies from region to region and from game to game. Generally i have found even day one you can get most AAA releases for cheaper digitally on pc just by looking at a 2 or 3 stores but obviously that isn't always the case and i don't have any statistics or info other than my own observations and impressions from reading a lot of pc gamers's posts.

Second who said that when people mention saving money with pc gaming are talking about that hypothetical individual in the op. You can bet that people with lower incomes shop around and play months old games and also a ton of people no matter their income hear the buzz around an indie game(rocket league for instance) or watch their favorite youtuber play it and then go and buy it.

The other post you quoted mostly says something different than your own argument, that the pc isn't for everyone which i can agree with. Consoles require generally less hassle. Even though pc has gotten better in this area and consoles a little worse it is still true.
I can't see the point again in this quote in mentioning people who refuse to visit a few online stores in their browser to find better prices. They obviously don't care about saving money, i think shopping around would be implied for me when talking about saving money.

Piracy is far more prominent on consoles than PC according to numerous tech companies. And as far as console gaming goes, according to Microsoft itself, exchanging games to buy console games second hand is vastly more destructive to the industry as a whole than a simple pirate. In any event, piracy on PC has taken a nosedive with the introduction of distribution platforms such as GOG and Steam.

Considering the easy of piracy on PC compared to consoles, that seems highly unlikely. Source on that as well as your other claims would be appreciated.

Tecnniqe

Banned

I would like to see sources on this stuff.

Skii

I have a PS4 and a PC... PC gaming is way cheaper. I could buy Mad Max for £7 on PC or spend £25 for my PS4. TW3 cost me £15 like 4 months ago and it's still pretty much impossible to buy it for less than £20 on PS4 right now. It is almost impossible not to find the PC equivalent significantly cheaper, whether it be a new release or a game from 5 years ago.

But I agree that PC gaming is definitely a lot of hassle. PC gamers that downplay it are being disingenuous and the vast majority of people just don't want to deal with it. But if you feel like you are an avid gamer, you owe it to yourself to experience most games in the best possible way and that is PC gaming.

HariKari

I would like to see sources on this stuff.

PC gaming can't exist without consoles dontcha know?

It's easier to buy what you want, when you want, at a price you feel is appropriate on PC. I feel zero pressure to pay full price up front thanks to shitty practices on the part of devs/publishers. Buy the GOTY or whatever edition for a fraction of the price is a great way to enjoy a 'fixed' game. Don't like a game on console? Go trade it in towards something. Don't like it on PC? Your options are limited, so just be careful with how you spend money in the first place.

I play on PC and consoles.

They are both about the same price, only because console games I tend to buy near launch, and PC games I tend to wait for games to be less than $10.

Overall my PC gaming is more expensive though.

Laptop initial price 1 year ago was $1200 (860M, i7, 250 GB SSD).

Desktop initial price 2 years ago was $1100 + $200 upgrades (760, 8320, 250 GB SSD --> 500 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM --> 16 GB RAM) + $150 (1 monitor)

PS4 initial price 2 years ago $399 + $150 (1 monitor).

The initial price of a PC and the upgrades required, especially after 4 or 5+ years that requires whole motherboard replacements and new RAM.... Overall it makes PC gaming more expensive for me, despite the lower costs of (older) games.

Even if I buy most of my games new and full price on consoles, my PC setups alone or together still end up being more costly over the long term.

It all depends on the experience you want on the PC, and the number of games you want, and the number of games you buy at launch on consoles.

Costs are not all that much different, but for my wants/needs on PC it makes PC gaming the more expensive option easily for me. Consoles (PS4/WiiU) are significantly cheaper overall for me.

T.E.D

Banned
Considering the easy of piracy on PC compared to consoles, that seems highly unlikely. Source on that as well as your other claims would be appreciated.

Sure.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2012/09/22/gaming-piracy-separating-fact-from-fiction

You can also Google anything piracy related regarding Microsoft's Lionhead Studios where they openly discuss the irrelevance of piracy in comparison to the used games market. It's pretty common knowledge at this point.

"Once you create service value for customers, ongoing service value, piracy seems to disappear" - Gabe Newell. All of this is so easily Googled. I'm not presenting a solution to an age old problem in quantum physics - all of this is well known. Piracy has plummeted because of platforms like Steam and GOG presenting value for money, easily assessable services. You go to some countries in Asia and South America and you'll be surprised how many people are buying modified consoles simply because the cost of gaming is incredibly expensive. Sure, even the PS4 has now been jailbroken.

Pranay

Sure.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2012/09/22/gaming-piracy-separating-fact-from-fiction

You can also Google anything piracy related regarding Microsoft's Lionhead Studios where they openly discuss the irrelevance of piracy in comparison to the used games market. It's pretty common knowledge at this point.

"Once you create service value for customers, ongoing service value, piracy seems to disappear" - Gabe Newell. All of this is so easily Googled. I'm not presenting a solution to an age old problem in quantum physics - all of this is well known. Piracy has plummeted because of platforms like Steam and GOG presenting value for money, easily assessable services. You go to some countries in Asia and South America and you'll be surprised how many people are buying modified consoles simply because the cost of gaming is incredibly expensive. Sure, even the PS4 has now been jailbroken.

Piracy is huge in asia on pc.

cleansock

Banned
Cost of a pc isn't too expensive. Figure 350$ for a console. 60 for a game or two, 40 for psn/xbl. Factor in the object you're typing on this site with. With all that cash you could build a decent/good pc, which does more than play games. And op yes I save money by purchasing all multi plats on pc, regardless if I play them all.

LilJoka

I think the OP is equating savings with ill-discipline. It's not exactly Walmarts fault that someone entering it's store has zero self-restraint. I haven't seen anyone, upon coming upon a sale at a store, say "f*** you! Now I'm going to have to buy your shit!"

If you want a game, you can get for cheaper on PC. As far as other people are using the buy and return approach, forgive me for being out of the loop on that one. I haven't bought and resold games in ten years being on PC and sometimes it's easy to forget that this is still occurring. Sounds to me like it's something people did in Victorian times. I think that's a trap many PC players fall into. They're so accustomed to having cheap products, all available at their fingertips, with no incentive to pre-order for fear of scarcity, that they tend to think that's the norm. It's not. There are still people out there that rely on mortar stores.

Bingo!

I bought a PS4 with MGSV for £300 on launch, Fallout 4 on launch for £40 and TLOU remastered for £25.

Outside of my 3DS and Wii U, both of which I own libraries which are exclusive to those systems, those three games are my entire current generation library.I don't think I could have saved money with a PC compared to my PS4.

I also don't have much time for anything but elite titles (which I play on launch) so I'm not one for spending £200 a year on steam sale games which I don't legally own, and won't play.

Freeman

Banned
Each model has its advantages, I got so much out of my PS3 that I got a little burned with PC gaming(I guess I played on PC for too long), I still play indies and lighter games on my notebook but I'm out of the graphics card race.

Being able to trade and borrow games is something I value now, consoles also have some pretty good exclusives that align with my taste.

That said, announce HL³ and I'll be back with a monster rig.

The huge cost of purchasing PC was justified because I use it for work/studies. The assembly and all the trouble with DOA parts isn't for most people. I barely know people who are savvy enough to recommend them building PC on their own. The defective component will eat hours of troubleshooting and days of replacing. For consoles, he low cost of entry is a huge plus and it guarantees 3-4 years of future games. 500$ will get you an i3 + 750ti + 8GB RAM at best, which is a minimum requirement system for Black Ops 3 and Battlefront.

Steam sales/Cdkeys/Nuuvem are insane. In euros: 30 for Black Ops 3, 13.5 Arkham Collection, 7.5 MKX + Season Pass, 4.5 Evil Within, 1.7 Dishonored and less than one euro for Brothers. That requires a compromise of both time and convenience on my part, but it rewards me for it. Seeing my gaming habits I get a shit dollar/hour value on some of the games, half of humble bundle/impulse buys remain uninstalled. That being said, console games have picked up a trend of losing the value real quick, you can easily find 10 GBP games that are 1 year old. 25 GBP/40 Euro games are common within 2 months of release. PSN also had a couple of Steam-like sales, for example Black Friday The Order 1886 deal.

I can see how mainstream console gamers aren't going to give a shit whether they pay 40 or 60 euros at launch. Some PC games are @ 30 Euros on cdkeys/MexicanOrigin on launch, but everything on Steam starts with at least 50$. I don't see how getting a PC is going to change the habbit of getting GTA/Fifa on launch. They probably get a better dollar/hour value because most of them will play the shit out of COD/Fifa/Halo/GTA. In UK, it is very popular to get single player games and trade them in upon completion. If a game is 20h long, you will probably end up paying less than 0.5 GBP per hour. If it is a 7h experience, you may pay something like 1.2GBP, but it will be a price of a good movie ticket.

Price for PS+ isn't a real factor. You are getting a much better value than just for online play. It is almost a humble bundle equivalent of 24 games for 40$. It would be nice to hear some kind of surveys whether mainstream players are satisfied with the PS+ value.

I guess the bottom line: I agree. Most console gamers get a similar dollar/hour value than people who buy games during Steam sales, because a lot of it are impulse buys. Steam isn't better than getting console games on Day 1 either.

PC gaming can be cheaper if you know how to shop smart, but the lack of standardization is what keeps turning me away. Everyone I know who games on PC seems to spend more time trying to get games to run on their rig than, y'know, actually playing them. Besides, a lot of the games I'm interested in simply aren't on PC (Uncharted, most of Halo, anything Nintendo, etc) and PC exclusives tend to be technical sims and RTSs which I've never cared for.

Robin-Williams-What-Year-Is-It-Jumanji.gif

orava

I know multiple PC gamers who are like those "motherfuckers" who buy just few games in a year at full price and do not really "worry" about that other stuff. But even they are going with the digital route.

Top Bottom