• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

False "saving" with switching to PC

YoodlePro

PC saves money. Full stop. Found watch dogs for £0.20 on PC while it was like 20 on ps4.

I'm sorry but when I can buy games for the price of a half eaten snickers bar you can't tell me I'm not saving money.

Sky Saw

Banned
PC saves money. Full stop. Found watch dogs for £0.20 on PC while it was like 20 on ps4.

I'm sorry but when I can buy games for the price of a half eaten snickers bar you can't tell me I'm not saving money.

But someone please think of the devs!

Smash88

Banned
It's ironic that even a company like Ubisoft that is so console focused would see PC revenue that rivals the top console consistently.

Keep in mind this is the company that frequently ports late to PC, uses terrible, pointless DRM, and is often accused for poor ports.

Ubisoft is one of the most anti-consumer AAA publishers and they still manage to squeeze out a large portion of their income from PC.

Don't forget that the amount Ubisoft is making on PC is way better than on consoles as well. Their overhead costs are the 30% that Steam charges, so per unit they are making way more than if they would sell a console copy at Gamestop for instance.

Also to address the AMD ownership numbers I expect them to rise a little, their GPU cards are finally reaching par with Nvidia. I expect the next generation GPUs to be a fierce battle. So I'm not too worried about AMD, and based on rumours alone their new CPU line is expected to rival Intel's as well. They have a lot of good things coming down the pipeline and this is coming from a long time Intel/Nvidia user.

To address OP: The savings are real, it isn't some false ideal that PC gamers perpetuate. Regardless of how many games you purchase they will always be cheaper on the PC, and depending on your system will run better than on a console with a more solid framerate. Sure there are some shit tier ports such as the latest Batman game, but those are few and far between, furthermore as of this post Batman has been patched and runs well for most people now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Except for people like me who did build/upgrade a pc and then did go back to console gaming, sure.
In other words, you're wrong.

You sure showed that dude who posted a dumb comment two weeks ago. Very much worth bumping this thread.

Console gaming can end up being way cheaper than PC gaming for just AAA gaming, but only in a very specific way. US consumer. Best Buy and Gamestop near you.

Buy games that are on BBY preorder bonus list, you end up paying $40+tax for a preorder purchase. Play for 3-5 weeks, trade in for $35-44 (as store credit), apply that credit towards the next game. Some games end up even cheaper due to extra promos. You end up "renting" games for $-5 to +$10, but of course you never own any of them so you can't go back 9 months later unless you rebuy it.

Frankly this model suits me way better, I prefer variety and get bored with many games fairly quickly. So its like a buffet, I get to try a little bite of everything and don't have any buyers remorse on games that totally end up not to my liking, and end up playing gems that I wouldn't expect - Tomb Raider and Syndicate were two of my favorite games, and I doubt I would have bought them in the regular PC/console model.

Another example - I bought 40+ (console) games during black friday, tried most of them and gave away about 30 to relatives/friends as Christmas presents. Paid around $800 for it all. Best Buy is running a 30% trade in bonus this week, I traded in every physical game I had yesterday and got $620 for it all. That will pay for most of the games I buy next year, and all of them will be traded in within a month of purchase.

I still do have a PC game machine and my steam library is 1800+ large (bundles) but I vastly prefer AAA games to smaller indie games, so console gaming and the trade cycle fits me much better. I'm hoping VR and Star Citizen will kick me into upgrading my PC.

Top Bottom