• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout games have surged in popularity following the release of the TV show | Steam CCU doubled overnight, while console players increased by 50%

Fallout games from Fallout 76 to Fallout New Vegas have surged in popularity across all platforms following the release of the Fallout TV show.

On Steam, concurrent player numbers doubled overnight, while console players on PlayTracker increased about 50% on average.

GLDH4iZW4AAzJd7

Souce - PlayTracker over on X

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Personally, I didn’t really care for 76, but the map is really good. For the low price of free on Prime right now, it is absolutely worth poking around the Appalachia map. Probably one of my favorite fallout maps.
Getting that on Prime when the show itself is on Prime is a smart marketing move.

Level 250+ in 76 but no desire to go back to that repetitive nonsense. I've been playing all of these games for years. The show is pretty good but it doesn't make me want to revisit.
I think I lost interest once I got the bulletproof tuxedo armor and decked it out in the very best.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Well of course they are. People want to remember what *good* Fallout actually is. Even Fallout 76 and 4 are better than the abhorently written show full of the typical slacktivist talking points.

And wouldn't it have been smart to launch a brand new Fallout made by Obsidian Games rather than telling them no?

The Obsidian that made New Vegas is long dead and buried.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
My best mate asked me about the games today after watching the show. It's a really tough recommendation given that he'd have no interest in 1/2, 3 is the oldest, NV is the best but jankiest and 4 is the most modern but worst.

Still, if you don't have the wider context, 4 is still a good game and it's like £4 on the PS store with patches on the way in a week or so. Be interesting to see what he thinks given that I kept pushing him to play Cyberpunk and it was the first type of that game he'd ever encountered.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
My best mate asked me about the games today after watching the show. It's a really tough recommendation given that he'd have no interest in 1/2, 3 is the oldest, NV is the best but jankiest and 4 is the most modern but worst.

Still, if you don't have the wider context, 4 is still a good game and it's like £4 on the PS store with patches on the way in a week or so. Be interesting to see what he thinks given that I kept pushing him to play Cyberpunk and it was the first type of that game he'd ever encountered.

I'm sure your friend will enjoy the updated version of 4.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For those of you who tried fallout 76 and ES online, which is better and suited to solo play the best?

Last edited:

SCB3

You know despite being a huge fan since 3, I've never touched the Original 2, nows a good time to perhaps change that

Buggy Loop

The Obsidian that made New Vegas is long dead and buried.

Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

Josh Sawyer: Project Director, Lead Designer, and System Designer (Still there)
  • Prior to New Vegas, Josh would be most well known for being a designer on Icewind Dale, and the Lead Designer on Icewind Dale II and Neverwinter Nights 2. Since New Vegas, he has directed both Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2, and is currently working on an unannounced title at Obsidian. He did not work on Outer Worlds other than providing feedback occasionally due to his role as the Studio Design Director for Obsidian. Made Pentimemt.

Scott Everts: World Building Lead (Still there)
  • A Technical/Level Designer on Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, and Icewind Dale 1 & 2, Scott would leave the defunct Interplay Entertainment in 2004 to join the newly formed Obsidian Entertainment. Here he would be a designer on Kotor 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2, before becoming the World Building Lead on Fallout New Vegas. Following New Vegas, his name does not pop up again until the release of The Outer Worlds, where he was one of 10 different Environment Artists that worked on the game.

Charlie Staples: Area Design Lead, Lead Level Designer (Still there)
  • After New Vegas, Charlie would act as the Level Design Lead on South Park: The Stick of Truth, the Systems Designer on the cancelled Armored Warfare, and the Design Director on The Outer Worlds

Project director/Lead designer/System designer - World building lead - Area design lead/Lead level designer are still there from new Vegas team (and new vegas alone) with many other peoples but these are key peoples. Programmers come and go in any projects.

In the meantime, Obsidian has gained legendary peoples such as Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky, two key peoples behind Fallout 1 & 2, Arcanum, Temple of elemental evil, Vampire the masquerade bloodline. Jason Anderson who was with the same duo above is back at inXile (so Microsoft, could switch team whenever)

Do you think Bethesda is in a better situation? 🤔

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

Josh Sawyer: Project Director, Lead Designer, and System Designer (Still there)
  • Prior to New Vegas, Josh would be most well known for being a designer on Icewind Dale, and the Lead Designer on Icewind Dale II and Neverwinter Nights 2. Since New Vegas, he has directed both Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2, and is currently working on an unannounced title at Obsidian. He did not work on Outer Worlds other than providing feedback occasionally due to his role as the Studio Design Director for Obsidian. Made Pentimemt.

Scott Everts: World Building Lead (Still there)
  • A Technical/Level Designer on Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, and Icewind Dale 1 & 2, Scott would leave the defunct Interplay Entertainment in 2004 to join the newly formed Obsidian Entertainment. Here he would be a designer on Kotor 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2, before becoming the World Building Lead on Fallout New Vegas. Following New Vegas, his name does not pop up again until the release of The Outer Worlds, where he was one of 10 different Environment Artists that worked on the game.

Charlie Staples: Area Design Lead, Lead Level Designer (Still there)
  • After New Vegas, Charlie would act as the Level Design Lead on South Park: The Stick of Truth, the Systems Designer on the cancelled Armored Warfare, and the Design Director on The Outer Worlds

Project director/Lead designer/System designer - World building lead - Area design lead/Lead level designer are still there from new Vegas team (and new vegas alone) with many other peoples but these are key peoples. Programmers come and go in any projects.

In the meantime, Obsidian has gained legendary peoples such as Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky, two key peoples behind Fallout 1 & 2, Arcanum, Temple of elemental evil, Vampire the masquerade bloodline. Jason Anderson who was with the same duo above is back at inXile (so Microsoft, could switch team whenever)

Do you think Bethesda is in a better situation? 🤔

And 7 times as many are gone, including the folks behind the actual writing and narratives. So instead of someone like Chris Avellone, we now have danger haired mentally challenged individuals that gave us such riveting narratives like Outer Worlds and the few quests we have seen from Avowed.

I would love to be proven wrong. I would love for Obsidian to write something good again, but aside from Pentiment, which had its own issues, nothing has come close to their old days.

Also nowhere did I mention Bethesda, so drop the strawman arguments.

And Hollywood used to make fun of video games.

To be fair, there didn’t used to be very good stories in videogames. Only in the last 10-15 years did videogames become capable of telling movie and TV calibre stories - in terms of much higher writing quality and depth, more mature narratives, significantly improved voice acting, and very realistic visuals. The advancements in those areas earned the attention and respect of Hollywood that never used to be there.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I redownloaded New Vegas because of it haha. Won't play it though. Wish they would Remake it.

If it helps, mods at least give it a shiny new layer and you can control how much you want to go in. The upscaled menus, videos and so on are 100% worth it.

This video does a great job without going too far and changing the game original style.

Lumen mod

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
To be fair, there didn’t used to be very good stories in videogames. Only in the last 10-15 years did videogames become capable of telling movie and TV calibre stories - in terms of much higher writing quality and depth, more mature narratives, significantly improved voice acting, and very realistic visuals. The advancements in those areas earned the attention and respect of Hollywood that never used to be there.
Xenogears
Chrono trigger
Final Fantasy 6
Half life 2
Shadow of the Colossus
Metal gear solid
Silent hill

They Say hello.

Laptop1991

i've never stopped playing Fallout New Vegas Fallout 3 and 4, totally because of mods, the games never get old for me, although no Fallout 3 on the list!.

rm082e

Yeah, I agree. Prior to the PS360 era, it was "good story, for a video game". I love some of the classic SNES, PS1 and PS2 games like everyone else, but the tech was very limited at the that time. We as players ere filling in the gaps with our imagination a lot more back then.

FF6 is a good example for me. In my mind, that's a really epic story. But when I go back and look at it now, it's glaringly obvious how much of my experience with it is what I built it up to be.

Guilty_AI

All those poor bastards playing F76 and F4.

200w.gif
Good news is, Fallout 1 was the one which saw the biggest rise in players, almost 10x as much.

9m63u0s.png

Who could have thought that a good show with good WoM due to following the story helps the games...Paramount and Halo should have followed the same route but oh well.
Good? Show looks awful and doesn't respect the lore at all. Certainly not as bad as Halo but that's a extremely low bar.

Buggy Loop

Good news is, Fallout 1 was the one which saw the biggest rise in players, almost 10x as much.

9m63u0s.png

Good? Show looks awful and doesn't respect the lore at all. Certainly not as bad as Halo but that's a extremely low bar.

Watched first episode

Very good so far

Don’t care about nerd “Ackhually” lore. It feels accurate enough and better than many game adaptations

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Waiting for the ps5 update to try F4 again.

Played some 76 with my wife and it’s good fun still.

SNPlayen

I want to start 4 again but I have too much of a gaming backlog and I’ll know I’ll get to the museum then put it down again. I loved 1 and 2. 2 is probably a top 10 game of all time for me.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
You know despite being a huge fan since 3, I've never touched the Original 2, nows a good time to perhaps change that

Fallout 2 is great. Best Fallout game IMO. They are very different tonally from the Bethesda games and the show.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Watched first episode

Very good so far

Don’t care about nerd “Ackhually” lore. It feels accurate enough and better than many game adaptations

If this was its own thing and not tied in with the canon on the franchise, I would agree with you. However, this is directly canon to the content of the games. It isn't something minor that it gets wrong either, but major world altering moments that completely change and later the reality of the games that come before it.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'm going to replay 3 on my Steam Deck just as soon as we're done with the show. I'm loving the campy vibe of the show, it's definitely adapting Bethesda's tweaks for Fallout 4, I got a hankering for the borderline-nihilism of 3 which always struck a cord with me.

Top Bottom