• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall TV 2011 - What's New?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezuth

Irish said:
Yeah, those two don't seem all that bad.

Awake, which wasn't listed, also looks like it could be very good.

http://www.nbc.com/awake/
I believe this show is midseason so it will air in 2012. I could include it in a thread for the midseason in the future. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Started updating the list with cable shows also, let me know if you find a show missing.

Jme

rezuth said:
Beavis & Butt-Head

aC8QP.jpg

Date: Oct. 27 - MTV

Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_PzXIeKeQU

Wait... WHAT?!
How did I miss this? What the... WHAT

b01EX.jpg

most of the shows look great as I was scrolling down - except this. 3 unattractive angels?

Hyped for ringer myself. Can't wait for SMG on tv.

Zoe

In for Terra Nova. Might try Up All Night since my Wednesdays are open.

The teenaged-girl in me is pissed that they're messing up The Secret Circle :lol

Tim Allen stars as Mike Baxter, marketing director of an outdoor sporting goods store, fighting for his manhood while constantly being surrounded by women, including his wife and three growing daughters.

Its like the opposite of Home Improvement.

Pachterballs said:
Hyped for ringer myself. Can't wait for SMG on tv.

Really? I thought all the trailers were awful.

The only new shows I'm trying out this fall are Homeland, Enlightened and American Horror Story and I'm not particularly optimistic about any of them.

Zoe

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about American Horror Story. Has there been a real trailer of that or just the weird-ass promos?

Sennorin

Banned
Wow, what a huge amount of horrible new shows. Wow.
Zooey Deschanel stars as a woman who moves in with three single male roommates.
Awesome plot. Please give it an Oscar!

Will give a try:

- Terra Nova (time traveling is always a bad idea, but it cannot be worse than Primeval, can it)
- Person of Interest (plot doesn´t sound too exciting, but will watch because of J. J. Abrams and "Ben")
- Once Upon a Time (sounds a bit silly and could go totally wrong, but will watch because of LOST-writers)
- Neverland (sounds interesting, but could fail because of production budget. Will see)

And that´s it.

Zoe said:
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about American Horror Story. Has there been a real trailer of that or just the weird-ass promos?
I haven't seen any trailers yet. I assume they'll start playing those like crazy during Sons of Anarchy.

I know the entire pilot was screened for television critics at TCA and it got mixed reviews.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'll only be watching a few. The one thing I really hate about new shows is getting really invested in one only for it to be cut. I might wait to watch some of these shows after it is clear they will be renewed.

I'll watch:
Unforgettable - Premise seems cool but could grow really tiresome. We'll see.

Person of Interest - It has Michael Emerson and it's a show by JJ. I'm in.

Awake - http://www.nbc.com/awake/
I didn't see Awake on your list but it sounds very interesting to me. Check out the trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfPVoiQKFvk

So did "Odd Job" with Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn to "Person of Interest" with Michael Emerson but without terry o'quinn?

If not: what happened to that project

rezuth

Damon Bennet said:
So did "Odd Job" with Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn to "Person of Interest" with Michael Emerson but without terry o'quinn?

If not: what happened to that project
Different projects, Odd Job is on ice at the moment IIRC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can't wait to start the 2011-2012 Bomba watch TV Show cancellation thread. I see some prime candidates in the OP. Who will be the first to Bomba?!

Troblin

Wasn't there a Paranormal Activity tv show coming out this fall? I remember seeing a trailer for it a couple months back…..

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Troblin said:
Wasn't there a Paranormal Activity tv show coming out this fall? I remember seeing a trailer for it a couple months back…..

The show is called The River, it's airing on ABC, and it's a mid-season replacement which means it'll start in anywhere from September to June depending on how many new ABC shows fail and how many scheduling holes they need to fill :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
smokeymicpot said:
Most of these shows do not look that good. Can't believe it took this long for Mad Men copies to pop up.

Mad Men has been a bit of a slow boil in terms of pop culture resonance, and it still has very very very very low ratings compared to literally any show that is on a major network, so I'm not surprised that it took them this long.

I'm surprising that they appear to be doing such a shitty job of it though *teehee*

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rafa=FedKilla said:
Why is the focus always on which shows are gonna bomb, rather then what will be good? We need more postivity in our lives.

There need to be cancellations to be new shows greenlit. Every show you've ever enjoyed in TV history only exists because another show was cancelled to make way for it.

Also, without derailing the thread, way more TV shows go on longer than they should than get cancelled prematurely. I'd prefer fewer episodes and fewer seasons of virtually every show I've ever enjoyed. It would make them better, more cohesive wholes with less filler.

I'm plenty positive, I just happen to think cancellations are something to be positive about :)

Stumpokapow said:
There need to be cancellations to be new shows greenlit. Every show you've ever enjoyed in TV history only exists because another show was cancelled to make way for it.

Also, without derailing the thread, way more TV shows go on longer than they should than get cancelled prematurely. I'd prefer fewer episodes and fewer seasons of virtually every show I've ever enjoyed. It would make them better, more cohesive wholes with less filler.

I'm plenty positive, I just happen to think cancellations are something to be positive about :)
A metaphor of life, we are born, some of us die before our time somehow we stick around and then we die. :(

Replicant

Who thought that it's a great idea to give a lead role of a period drama to Eddie Cibrian? The guy can't even act to save his life when he was on a soap opera (he has one look expression for everything). Now he has to headline The Playboy Club? The show is doomed!

Ringer looks more noir-esque instead of soap opera-ish. That actually intrigues me.

Grimm looks interesting but it's competing with Fringe, Supernatural, and Nikita. 3 genre shows that already have established fanbase. So it's pretty much DOA.

Will check out both Pan Am and Once Upon a Time. Especially Pan Am because Christina Ricci's project usually is good value. Ditto with Persons of Interest.

Might watch Revenge and Charlie's Angels for the pure trashiness of it all.

Garret

Sign me up for:

- Hart of Dixie (it made me think for Everwood. It'll probably suck, though).
- Terra Nova (dinosaurs, man!).
- The Playboy Club (gotta watch to see how bad it turns).
- Ringer (SMG, FTW!).
- New Girl (Zooey!).
- How to Be a Gentleman (Johnny Drama).
- Person of Interest (need I say more?).
- A Gifted Man (sounds clichéd, but anyway).
- Grimm (just to check it out).
- Pan Am (gotta watch those MM clones).
- Boss (Sideshow Bob!).
- American Horror Story (too weird to pass up).
- Hells on Wheels (but I guess it'll turn out to be like all the other AMC's attempts to have other hits besides BB and MM).

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to have that much time, I never do.

Novid

Banned
Terra Nova yes
Person Of Intrest BIG NO
Grimm Maybe
New Girl (The Only Mega Hit sadly because of DeChanel's Fujoshiness) BIG NO.
Snow White(Once Apon a Time) Maybe leading to no
Hat8r (Gonna be Pop and Mainstream's Gaf favorite show) NO.
Unforgettable HELL NO
Gifted Man HELL NO
Charlie Angels with Mika Kelly - Looks so good but this is a FLOP. NO.
Pan Am/Playboy Club - No Cursing, Bad Sex, BLAH. NO.
Xfactor (new Number One Show on Fox for the forseeable future) will watch if you got funny shit. Otherwise its a pass.
CBS New Comedies : NO
ABC New Comedies: NO
NBC New Comedies : maybe leading to a no
Fox New Comedies: Teenage Daughter got hot leads, Staying for the females otherwise no.

(Just a note - most of these pilots outside of Nova and maybe POI reeked bad. Teenager Daugher was the BEST of the Comedy pilots.)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Terra Nova's premise looks interesting, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Unlikely for it to both be good and not get cancelled. Network TV sucks.

Jay Sosa

Damn besides that JJ show (and that one with Frasier) that looks like a godawful line up.

You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but still.

Stumpokapow said:
Can't wait to start the 2011-2012 Bomba watch TV Show cancellation thread. I see some prime candidates in the OP. Who will be the first to Bomba?!
As a ratings junkie, I'm pretty excited to see what flops as well.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
rezuth said:
Midseason, will have to wait for the next thread :) But I agree it looks interesting

Ahh, so it will step in when Playboy Club or Prime Suspect bomba. Works for me.

TheOddOne

Stumpokapow said:
Now a days good shows get cancelled, yet stupid shows prosper. What a weird ass world.

Busty

Banned
Apart from Person Of Interest, Alcatraz (which look to be the most interesting dramas right out of the gate) nothing else is grabbing me.

I certainly don't see any comedy break outs like my beloved Community. Should make for an interesting season.

Stumpokapow said:

It's got to be either Pan Am or Playboy. There isn't enough room for two 'Mad Men lite' shows so one of them has to go.

Though Pan Am is supposed to be the better show (and Eddie Cibrian isn't fit to light Don Draper's cigarettes) than Playboy it could really be either of them that goes up in flames right out of the gate.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if either of these shows turns out to be this season's Lonestar.

Jamie OD

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Why is the focus always on which shows are gonna bomb, rather then what will be good? We need more postivity in our lives.

For me it is a case of schadenfreude. Especially when a show or the network is clearly trying to be the next "Insert Hugely Successful TV Show Here" and just ticks the boxes on a list rather than use its own ideas.

I don't want to act like all new shows have to be brand new original ideas. Some new series that follow current TV trends do turn out to be good. It's just that I get enjoyment out of a heavily hyped knock off quickly failing and getting pulled off the air.

Takao

Banned
Will try:
Terra Nova
Ringer
Revenge - This looks so bad that I have to watch it, haha.
Up All Night
Charlie's Angels
The Secret Circle - Anyone think the promo pic looked like Twilight?
Grim
Once Upon A Time

TripOpt55

I am not really excited for any of these new shows this Fall. Will try out a bunch like Terra Nova and Person of Interest and some others. I'm definitely interested in Awake for midseason.

Busty

Banned
TripOpt55 said:
I am not really excited for any of these new shows this Fall. Will try out a bunch like Terra Nova and Person of Interest and some others. I'm definitely interested in Awake for midseason.

imoTEP12 said:
Great OP, although the only ones I think I'll watch will be Terra Nova and the western one on AMC.

I'm surprised that Terra Nova is generating so much interest. There is nothing in any of the promos thus far that have excited me.

But then again dinosaurs are always welcome.

BluWacky

Great OP for early season. I come to all of these shows with no promos so I purely go on buzz from upfronts, so I'm looking forward to:

Playboy Club - I don't actually care about this show, but the divine Laura Benanti is in it so I have to watch at least one episode.
Ringer - SMG, natch. Plus Ioan Gruffudd!
The New Girl - the trailer made me laugh, I'm a sucker for irritatingly cutesy humour.
Up All Night - again, trailer made me laugh.
Free Agents - the UK version was filthy, so I look forward to seeing how toned down it is for the US.
Person of Interest - Jim Caviezel is completely free of charisma but it could be interesting nonetheless.
Prime Suspect - can Maria Bello live up to Helen Mirren?
A Gifted Man - I like Jennifer Ehle.
Once Upon A Time - the pilot script had buzz. The trailer from upfronts looked APPALLING, but when people compare it to Pushing Daisies it tugs at my heartstrings...

Might give a few other shows a try (the other genre shows certainly, although Grimm looked terrible) and at midseason I'll probably watch at least some of Awake and Alcatraz.

Angry Fork

UlArt.jpg

Lxe4D.jpg

GbSLe.jpg

fEkdD.jpg

BJQtw.jpg

What is it with them and the 1 black guy quota. It's so odd and obviously to try to 'balance' something or whatever but it just comes off as being worse than not having the black guy there. I wouldn't be surprised if they're all sidekick comic relief characters too.

fucking pussycat dolls chick in x-factor, it should have been cheryl cole. Infinitely hotter.

none of the shows look interesting. I'll check out Boss because Frasier is in it, Charlies Angels maybe because I kinda enjoy trashy stuff like Nikita (don't take it too seriously yo).

Person of Interest for James Caviezel and Ben. Abrams means it will probably suck though :/

edit: man what happened to Caviezel. Just saw Thin Red Line again. He was so....pretty in that movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom