• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Has Been Restarted Internally - Rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your defense of the equivalent of "my uncle who works at Nintendo said..." is hilarious.

Anyone can post anything completely made up anywhere. You might as well say "I read a YouTube comment that said Xbox is leaving the gaming industry" and post it as a "RUMOR" here because that's as reliable as the information presented in this thread.
Again. We will see in due time. The only factual thing that we have, is Xbox's track record.

Ozriel

M$FT
State of decay, fable, avowed, everwild and perfect dark are all in development hell considering the fact that they were first revealed over 2 years ago.

That's not how it works, though.

Abysmal studio management. Shouldve never had the studio make Forza horizon 5 if they were beginning work on new ip. Should’ve been all hands on deck from day one.

It's a different team making the Forza Horizon games. And it would have been abysmal studio management to freeze the release of a popular title that sells very well for no good reason.

Meanwhile:

Phil Spencer - Man of the year.

Indeed

https://exputer.com/news/industry/phil-spencer-most-awards-2022/

To bad the thread award was locked without reason considering the relevance and link to the issues with the games, but then again there's a lot of selective consistency around the subject so I should have seen that coming. Also the article mentions one amazing sophisticated and outstanding gentlemen member of a gaming site, also sexy.

Last edited:
"Basically starting from scratch in Unreal, the old Forzatech version will never see the light of day."

Your takeaway may not be about unreal but the rumour is
JZLUMjh.jpg

Xbox's reporter extraordinaire wouldn't be surprised if true. Let that sink in.

Godot25

Banned
Oh. But this rumor is so bullshit and ilogical?

You know what is not bullshit or illogical?
Xbox's tracks record.
Jesus. Just make some research.

Multiple Turn 10 developers (in engine department) have in their LinkedIn profiles that they are working on Fable. Why on earth would they work on Fable if development switched engines?
Nobody at PG have even smidge of hints of using Unreal Engine.

So again. Why would I trust this rumor? Because "muh, Xbox can't manage their studios?" While talking about PG which is constantly churning out quality games on regular cadence?

Please. I'll stick to available and verifiable facts. Thank you

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Making racers not RPGs.

Studio management and culture draws from the well managed racing team. Typically, reboots happen when there's mistakes from the top level in laying out the vision for the title.

Not to mention we had that interview from that Spanish developer that claimed development was progressing quite well.

In racing games.

And I am taking about Xbox's management.

Xbox provides the resources, Playground makes the games.
Focus on Playground.

I swear its every fucking xbox game ffs…

satisfactory-satisfactory-update5.gif

Ironically you and a few others here were active in the 4chan TGAs thread that ended in a total dud for the 'leaks'. Not sure how you're 100% convinced this is real now.

Umbasaborne

Banned
There's a time when all of this started along with a common denominator but people don't want to see it.

Must be the t-shirt, dimples and nice words.
Yep, phil and his team cannot manage these studios for shit, and it seems like every major xbox game is going through or has gone through development hell. I wish someone like schreier would do a deep dive on the state of microsofts studios.

Topher

Gold Member
Jez said yesterday that Starfield may not make this year, today Xbox said it's coming to Gamepass this year.
That's how credible these rumours are.

Xbox said Starfield was coming to Game Pass last year too. These rumors may or may not be accurate, but a publisher saying something is hardly setting it in stone.

By the way, welcome back!

Last edited:
Microsoft can't catch a break with their first party studios, what a bummer, was so excited for this.

You don't "catch breaks" you manage and support studios. I think this is the problem I see a lot of posters make in thinking that great/good games are made by luck/chance. They aren't. Like with movies, it takes everyone doing their part, especially well.

Microsoft's problem is they have so desperately needed software to push hardware, whereas Sony kind of worked its way towards that in reverse. What does that mean exactly? It means that Microsoft has relied heavily on Halo and when Bungie left, they needed to create a studio from SCRATCH that needed to create a sequel to one of the most popular and successful franchises in gaming on their first try. They've had to do the same with Gears of War.

Fable was the next on that list. Basically, a franchise built to be more innovative, immerse, and experimental than could be delivered, and now you give it to a studio who really has no experience in that. Whether this "rumor" is true or not, it doesn't create much confidence. It would be like asking Polyphony Digital to make God of War. Not certain that's a great idea and certainly isn't a recipe for creating a game that sells 15-20 million copies.

What should Microsoft do? Let Playground or someone else work on a smaller title, preferably original IP. Stretch their legs, take their time, get it right, and then maybe follow it up with Fable.

Look at Sucker Punch stretching their legs with Infamous before making Ghost of Tsushima. Look at Guerrilla stretching its legs with Killzone before Horizon.

Infamous 2009 to 2020... 11 years of stretching their legs...
Killzone from 2004 to 2017... 13 years of stretching their legs...

And neither immediately took over IP, they still did their own thing. They didn't get boxed into an IP that wasn't theirs.

Sometimes it can work. Look at Metroit Prime and Retro Studios, but they also made the franchise their own. Very few times does this workout though, whether it be a reboot or continuation, which means you're basically setting a studio up for failure.

Riky

$MSFT
Xbox said Starfield was coming to Game Pass last year too. These rumors may or may not be accurate, but a publisher saying something is hardly setting it in stone.

By the way, welcome back!

After it was already delayed I doubt very much an official statement would be made that wasn't true.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Jez said yesterday that Starfield may not make this year, today Xbox said it's coming to Gamepass this year.
That's how credible these rumours are.

Even MS/Xbox their own words are complete meaningless these days.

skneogaf

I would not be surprised, I can't believe Phil spenser gets so much praise, apart from forza horizon games I can't think of any that are great.

I imagine fable will disrupt forza horizon now too!

Fable should never have been given to playground studios, they have zero experience in rpg games.

Ozriel

M$FT
You don't "catch breaks" you manage and support studios. I think this is the problem I see a lot of posters make in thinking that great/good games are made by luck/chance. They aren't. Like with movies, it takes everyone doing their part, especially well.

Microsoft's problem is they have so desperately needed software to push hardware, whereas Sony kind of worked its way towards that in reverse. What does that mean exactly? It means that Microsoft has relied heavily on Halo and when Bungie left, they needed to create a studio from SCRATCH that needed to create a sequel to one of the most popular and successful franchises in gaming on their first try. They've had to do the same with Gears of War.

Fable was the next on that list. Basically, a franchise built to be more innovative, immerse, and experimental than could be delivered, and now you give it to a studio who really has no experience in that. Whether this "rumor" is true or not, it doesn't create much confidence. It would be like asking Polyphony Digital to make God of War. Not certain that's a great idea and certainly isn't a recipe for creating a game that sells 15-20 million copies.

What should Microsoft do? Let Playground or someone else work on a smaller title, preferably original IP. Stretch their legs, take their time, get it right, and then maybe follow it up with Fable.

Look at Sucker Punch stretching their legs with Infamous before making Ghost of Tsushima. Look at Guerrilla stretching its legs with Killzone before Horizon.

Infamous 2009 to 2020... 11 years of stretching their legs...
Killzone from 2004 to 2017... 13 years of stretching their legs...

And neither immediately took over IP, they still did their own thing. They didn't get boxed into an IP that wasn't theirs.

Sometimes it can work. Look at Metroit Prime and Retro Studios, but they also made the franchise their own. Very few times does this workout though, whether it be a reboot or continuation, which means you're basically setting a studio up for failure.

You know that the team working on Fable is a separate team in Playground that has been set up and fully resourced to make an open world RPG. You know that a significant part of the team has open world RPG expertise and have come from studios like Rockstar, avalanche, Guerilla games, SSM etc.

It's in bad faith to insist there's no experience at all in making an RPG and that the team working on Fable is just a racing game dev.

feynoob

The rumor says they're switching engines and that job listing has no dates on it. Anyways we'll find out soon.
Isn't the rumor from 4chan?
It's new year. I wouldn't take that shit seriously.

Attention seekers thrive on these days.

Yep, phil and his team cannot manage these studios for shit, and it seems like every major xbox game is going through or has gone through development hell. I wish someone like schreier would do a deep dive on the state of microsofts studios.

Microsoft reminds me of a baseball player who is behind in late innings who always swings for the fences because they don't think a single or double will do the trick.

As a result every game needs to be a GOTY candidate and every studio needs to work on GOTY candidate games.

Look at Insomniac, Spider-Man 2 has a chance at being their best-selling game of all time, but they just made Rift Apart, which was a solid double. Sony bought Housemarque who made Returnal, which was a solid single, and what has been the big difference between Sony and Microsoft the last two years? Sony has come out with significantly more games.

Microsoft delayed Halo Infinite because they needed it to be a grand slam. They released it late and it still wasn't. They've delayed Starfield because they need it to be a grand slam... maybe it will be, maybe it won't, but they're swinging for the fences yet again. That's tremendous pressure on the developer. That pressure is trickle down. It causes you to rush EVERYTHING. No matter what, ready or not, Starfield HAS to come out in 2023, even if it needs another 6 months or another year... The game needs to single-handedly prop up the rest of the year's catalog. That is immense pressure. Both Horizon and God of War missed the 2021 holiday release window, with God of War missing it by a full year. GT7 was probably supposed to come out earlier too.

So has Microsoft learned from its mistakes here? No, instead they're buying big-time publishers to fill the gaps. I don't know if you spend 70 billion dollars on Activision if you think Starfield is about to sell 30+ million copies/push GamePass. Maybe you do, I don't know though, personally, I doubt it.

Jesus. Just make some research.

Multiple Turn 10 developers have in their LinkedIn profiles that they are working on Fable. Why on earth would they work on Fable if development switched engines?
Nobody at PG have even smidge of hints of using Unreal Engine.

So again. Why would I trust this rumor? Because "much, Xbox can't manage their studios?" While talking about PG which is constantly churning out quality games on a regular cadence?

Please. I'll stick to available and verifiable facts. Thank you
Look, bro.
I understand your feelings and all.
And I see where are you coming from and I agree. If not because of one little insignificant detail:

Xbox's track record.

We had a CGI teaser title. We haven't seen any gameplay or real-time footage at all.

I dunno why are you so in denial. (I dunno if you are so attached to this IP or what).

But think in this way:

If everything is bullshit and fable's development is buttery smooth. Ok. FANTASTIC. this game should release in the next 18 months

If not, and development is a shitshow. Well...it wouldn't be surprising by Xbox's track record.

Topher

Gold Member
After it was already delayed I doubt very much an official statement would be made that wasn't true.

That means Microsoft made a false statement the first time. Doesn't make any sense. Making or not making a target release date isn't a matter of making statements that are "true". Like I said, none of this is set in stone.

Godot25

Banned
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom