• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Has Been Restarted Internally - Rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game is being made by playground games.

This isn't a studio usually known for having development issues, and we were told by Phil, Booty, and another person all at least twice except Phil who was once, that the game was looking good and they would have something to show "soon" so this is very strange.

geary

Neogaf user post a rumor on 4chan...Make it visible on Reddit...Repost it on Neogaf >>> Profit.

Reactions: Isa

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Fable trying to run on an engine tailored to racing and radio

Macaulay Culkin Christmas Movies GIF by filmeditor

Godot25

Banned
Again. Xbox's track record baby. As simple as that.

At this point, giving them the benefit of the doubt is not in the table.

Sowrry.
Again...PG's track record baby :messenger_grinning:. As simple as that.

But if you want to believe that PG is so incompetent that they spent 4 years making game on one engine, but they are at same time such a wizards that they will make an engine switch and manage to release a game in 2 years, than be my guest. Because I'm sure switching all assets from proprietary ForzaTech to Unreal Engine 5 is simple task that can be completed in days.

Like...that rumor would be way more believable if it said that game will come out in 2026 after restart.

Last edited:
Again...PG's track record baby :messenger_grinning:. As simple as that.
In what?...Racing games?.Lol.

But if you want to believe that PG is so incompetent that they spent 4 years making game on one engine, but they are at same time such a wizards that they will make an engine switch and manage to release a game in 2 years, than be my guest.
Is not about incompetence is about how hard video games are to make. An studio with expertise in one genre does not equate to be experts in any genre.

Like...that rumor would be way more believable if it said that game will come out in 2026 after restart.
We shall see.

If the first part is true about how far back this has been reset, this won’t make 2024 and with that, pretty much the bulk of my interest in Xbox Studios this gen.

Hope it isn’t true. Was announced way to early, but this would be a kicker.

graywolf323

Microsoft can't catch a break with their first party studios, what a bummer, was so excited for this.
at some point people need to recognize this falls on Phil Spencer, he became the head of first party studios back in 2008 and then the head of Xbox in 2014, the state of their first party quality has declined under his watch for the past 15 years but so many are willing to turn a blind eye towards it because he’s gotten Nadella to give him the money to buy publishers & developers with their games coming to GamePass (best deal in gaming™)

this is why some of us are concerned about the state of Xbox even with GamePass being a legitimately nice feature because this isn’t the Xbox we became fans of during the OG Xbox and early 360 era when they were at their best, Phil’s been in charge of this for 15 years and going on 9 with him as the head of all things Xbox yet somehow he isn’t held responsible at all by the fanboys for these messes

hopefully this rumor isn‘t true but what about how the past 3-5 years have gone for XGS gives anyone any faith that it isn’t?

Godot25

Banned

Is not about incompetence is about how hard video games are to make. An studio with expertise in one genre does not equate to be experts in any genre.

We shall see.
So you don't find it strange that not single position on PG's page requires experience with Unreal Engine? Or say something along the lines "experience with Unreal Engine is an advantage"?

And multiple current employees of PG on LinkedIn are talking about proprietary engine on their profiles while working on a Fable game?

Okay then.

Last edited:

ungalo

Assuming the rumor was true, Matt Booty should definitely be fired in that case. Too much things like that already happened. Bring some experienced producers.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Matt Booty was on record just a couple of months ago, saying he's seen gameplay footage of Fable and wanted to show some publicly, but the team said no because they felt it wasn't the right time. It sounded like development was going pretty smoothly. Hard to believe the game's been rebooted from scratch.

https://nordic.ign.com/fable-next-g...-but-the-developer-wants-it-to-be-ready-first
He also said it was a bit of a head scratcher as well that they gave it to them. I imagine if the rumor is true Matt may have liked it but it did not impress anyone else so was rejected.

It's a bummer either way. We never get rumors of positive news about Fable. For once I would love to hear a "everything's great and it's looking like a 2024 or early 2025 title" on this.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Showing that CGI trailer a year or so ago was a mistake. Microsoft really need to learn to be patient and wait until they feel pretty confident in the project before getting people excited.

So you don't find it strange that not single position on PG's page requires experience with Unreal Engine? Or say something along the lines "experience with Unreal Engine is an advantage"?

And multiple current employees of PG on LinkedIn are talking about proprietary engine on their profiles while working on a Fable game?

Okay then.
This rumor is not even about unreal. Is about Xbox's consistency at mismanaging their studios.

Sure.

https://www.ign.com/articles/fable-playground-xbox-exec-wants-to-show-matt-booty

Speaking at PAX West 2022, Booty said that Playground is doing so many cool things with the next generation Fable game that he asks them to share it every time he sees it:

"Part of my job is giving air cover to the team," he explained. "They don't want to show stuff early before it's ready to go, but if there's one game where that's kind of flipped around, where every time I see something I say, 'We should show this', it's Fable. Because there's a lot of cool stuff."

That being said, "the team has made it very clear that I am not going to be able to show anything until it's ready," Booty laughed.

Godot25

Banned
Why are we sharing random posts on 4chan as any type news? Literally any rando can say whatever the fuck they want. It means literally nothing.
Because it adds to "Xbox has studio mismanagement problem" narrative and people tends to have confirmation bias.

Same 4chan rumor about *insert random PlayStation studio* would not be even posted here

Last edited:
Why are we sharing random posts on 4chan as if it's some type of news? Literally any rando can say whatever the fuck they want. It means literally nothing.
Simple. Most people here love supporting the narrative they already are onboard with. True or false, it doesn’t matter. If they can help substantiate their position then it’s all fair game. The age of due diligence is over.

We shall see.

Your defense of the equivalent of "my uncle who works at Nintendo said..." is hilarious.

Anyone can post anything completely made up anywhere. You might as well say "I read a YouTube comment that said Xbox is leaving the gaming industry" and post it as a "RUMOR" here because that's as reliable as the information presented in this thread.

Idkif this is true, but I If a game is in a bad place reset it. I’d rather wait longer for a great product than an okay product rushed to market. Been over 10 years since the last. If it comes out in 2 years or 4 isn’t going to make a big difference.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
this could explain why they havent shown it almost 5 years after it supposdely started development and 2.5 years after its CG reveal. typically, you'd get a realtime trailer a year later and then gameplay two years after the og cg reveal.

State of decay, fable, avowed, everwild and perfect dark are all in development hell considering the fact that they were first revealed over 2 years ago.

Abysmal studio management. Shouldve never had the studio make Forza horizon 5 if they were beginning work on new ip. Should’ve been all hands on deck from day one.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I heard a rumor that Hellblade II is in development hell and is restarting from scratch, this time in Unity Engine.
Target release was Q4 2023 but now, after a full reboot of the game, it's releasing in Q1 2024.

You heard it here first Gaff!!

Source

Duck Dynasty GIF by DefyTV

Well if true I think they could have a lot of work done that can be transported over quickly. Perhaps the impressive things that have been seen are from UE5 experiments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom