• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Expect more price hikes in the UK

Baki

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-63031372

The £ has dropped by 30% against the dollar and has dropped from $1.16 to $1.03 in less than a month.

Expect price hikes for British gamers. When the PS5 launched, it was £375 before tax (£450 after tax). At this new exchange rate, that means British gamers were only paying $386 for the $500 PS5 disc edition.

Sony already increased the price by £30 but that is no way near enough. At this new exchange rate, Sony would need to increase the price by another £105 just to match the price of a PS5 in the USA. (£582 after tax, which is £485 pre-tax).

reksveks

I wasn't sure what thread to put this in so cheers for making a new thread.

Since the 26th September the fx change got from 0.85:1 to 0.93:1 which is more than the price change so the increase in operating margin has already been wipes out.

anthony2690

Banned
Remember when GBP:USD was 2:1?

If Sony keep pushing prices up they'll push people away. Times of rising costs don't lend themselves to £600 consoles.

Is worldwide pricing done on Dollar exchange?

anthony2690 anthony2690 Brexit is a big one. Thanks Boris. Look where all the lies got us.
The Tory Party.
The US central bank increased its interest rates more aggressively than the UK, that's why the pound is dropping in value (same for the euro, btw).
Pretty confusing layout.

Are all sales taxes in the US 20%?

The new measures announced by the chancellor.
The new mini budget from liz truss, alot more debt based on trickle down economics which has meant that investors doesn't trust the UK debts/bonds as much to be simple

Hope I haven't got any of you guys accidently in trouble, I don't follow politics/vote etc, so I guess it's my own fault I'm completely out off the loop.

Hopefully things settle down though, a little stressed about rising electric prices, I was only paying £40 a month a few years ago, now I'm at £100+ a month :(

reksveks

Hope I haven't got any of you guys accidently in trouble, I don't follow politics/vote etc, so I guess it's my own fault I'm completely out off the loop.

Hopefully things settle down though, a little stressed about rising electric prices, I was only paying £40 a month a few years ago, now I'm at £100+ a month :(
I think we (although one feels like it is skirting the line) should be fine, largely we haven't made any value judgement on the politics/policies (definitely have some) so not really causing any issues imo.

Back to topic, not sure how soon we are going to see the impact of this and how it plays into the larger economy. I need to check how much money I will get off my energy bill.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
the pound will bounce back. they are reacting to the mini budget and it will get stronger
To be fair, over the past ten years the pound has got weaker and weaker, so major improvement seems unlikely unless something significant changes.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

That actually feeds perfectly into the topic at hand, because with the cost of living being so high people won't want to buy a £600 console. Sony may have to accept the traditional method of taking a loss on the console and making it back on the games. I know demand is still high, but fixing the UK isn't an overnight job.

FingerBang

I welcome all of these changes, they're making me richer!

Yes, Liz Truss is a despicable individual, and yes, the cut at the lower end ridiculous (1%), but guys, I'm paid in USD. My salary basically went up 30% since last year. It's not all bad!

Jokes (not really) aside, the USD has been getting ridiculously strong since last year. YES, there's been a noticeable dip last week, but I feel some of the news are making it sound like it's all because of Liz Truss. It had an effect, but it's also been progressively going down for more than a year now.

Screenshot-2022-09-26-at-09-30-39.png

This morning it went down to a new low, but it's already climbing back up

Screenshot-2022-09-26-at-09-31-32.png

To be fair I’m amazed at how many people in the UK are still able to afford gaming as a hobby in the current climate, especially with bills being so high. Sony upping those pieces even more would mean they probably price themselves out of the market.

The Shepard

Brits getting hampered by not investing in Green Energy and being reliant on Russia. Also, Brexit. Nothing more to say that US $ is also the world's reserve currency. The days of the Sterling are over.

That's not true. We only brought 4% of our total energy from Russia. We are no where near as reliant on Russian gas then the rest of Europe and we've already stopped buying from them.

Last edited:

Baki

It's insane how greedy Sony is under an inflation.

Sucks for you OP it's even worse for you when your money gets less worth.
I think you don’t understand the op. I’m saying that the massive decline in the £ value means that companies will need to make large changes to Uk pricing so they don’t lose money.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I think you don’t understand the op. I’m saying that the massive decline in the £ value means that companies will need to make large changes to Uk pricing so they don’t lose money.
AFAIK the dollar has taken a serious skydive with Biden behind the wheel, but has the prices there increased?

Maybe I am confused? I assumed it was only a Sony thing since you only mentioned Sony, which lead to my thinking about they were the only one increasing the price lately where MS and Nintendo say they wouldn't.

I am still confused.

Last edited:

reksveks

You can blame this on covid payouts and huge borrowing and spending. Can’t say I have followed the UK on this though.
Only way to fix it is lower government borrowing and raise interest rates.
Kinda had to do payouts in some form, otherwise you just would have had massive unemployment.

Obviously there was going to be some fraud and wastage unfortunately. Definitely need to make punishment on Fraud tougher but ehh.

The UK goverment is doing one of those two things; aka the interest but not the other.

skit_data

Wouldn’t surprise me if we see price hikes from MS and Nintendo as well at the rate this is going. Sure, Nintendo probably has some leeway due to not decreasing the cost before but Series X and S selling at their original price is a big cost and Sony has already taken the biggest PR-hit by being the first to raise prices.

Last edited:

ratburger

That's not true. We only brought 4% of our total energy from Russia. We are no where near as reliant on Russian gas then the rest of Europe and we've already stopped buying from them.
I recall reading that the UK depended on natural gas for a larger percentage of it's total electricity than even Germany. Cutting off Russia just means everyone's fighting over the same spot LNG cargos.

Top Bottom