• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE - PS5 Pro in Development, Could Release Late 2024

ztZkJ6R.gif

Codes 208

Feels like this gen has barely gotten started so i'm personally not terribly pleased that they are talking about upgraded versions of consoles already.

I can understand a slim form factor or whatever but creating a two tier ecosystem in regards to power already seems a bit much.
This will be the third anniversary, iirc the ps4 pro released only four years after the ps4 launched so its not that far off.

But i do agree, from the 20ish months of scarcity and cross-gen, it does feel like its only just begun.

I can bet my ass this is PS5 slim at best ps5 pro doesn't make any sense atall
For 500 dollar next year u really can't make a meaningful update
The only reason PS4 pro and Xbox one X came because the market was full of 4k TVs and there was nothing 4k to show except some YouTube videos

vivftp

I can bet my ass this is PS5 slim at best ps5 pro doesn't make any sense atall
The only reason PS4 pro and Xbox one X came because the market was full of 4k TVs and there was nothing 4k to show except some YouTube videos

The PS5 revision (what some are calling a slim) with an optional detachable disc drive is rumored to be releasing this year around September, going by Tom Hendersons reports over the last several months. Tom has also leaked that a PS5 Pro is in development to release around holiday 2024.

And yes, a PS5 Pro makes a LOT of sense. I'll just quote myself from a previous post since it addresses the reasons why it makes sense:

The reason Sony created the PS4 Pro to offer a better performing console option to help stop folks from jumping to PC at the mid-point of the gen. It was for those folks who wanted more performance out of their games than what the base console could offer. It'd be the exact same reason this gen would get a mid-gen refresh.

Why would consumers want a PS5 Pro?

- More 60/120 FPS modes
- No longer having to choose between quality or performance modes, you can pick a hybrid mode that combines both
- Pushing PSVR2 to its limits with more native resolution games at 90/120Hz with even better quality graphics
- Look at all the effort Sony are putting into making PC ports of their games that can punch well above what the base PS5 can do - now picture the PS5 Pro receiving most/all of the same benefits of those PC efforts. The work's already being done, so let console gamers get a taste.
- Double storage at 1650 GB?

Why would Sony want to make a PS5 Pro?

- If gamers move to PC for the better performance then Sony loses a massive chunk of potential revenue from first party sales, third party sales, DLC, MTX, PS+, accessories and whatnot. Not to mention people tend to play where their friends are, so if someone moves from PS5 to PC for their gaming needs, then it's possible their friends will too. It's a huge snowball effect
- If either Sony or MS were to make a mid-gen refresh and the other didn't, then they'd be definitively removing themselves from the "power" race for the latter half of the gen. I don't see either company doing that, so both would have to take the steps to ready a mid-gen refresh
- Both manufacturers would have enough data from the last gen about how well their mid-gen models sold. I don't have any data but I'm guessing they likely sold well enough to justify pursuing that strategy again

It's a win/win scenario for the gamers and the company by offering the option of a mid-gen refresh, and it should be the model going forward so long as home consoles exist, IMO.

T-Cake

I think the above was valid for the PS4 generation but now that Sony are putting their own games on to PC, the jumping ship to PC halt at mid-gen makes less sense this time around.

vivftp

I think the above was valid for the PS4 generation but now that Sony are putting their own games on to PC, the jumping ship to PC halt at mid-gen makes less sense this time around.

It makes all the more sense because Sony are competing against themselves on PC, which is a platform where they make VASTLY less money compared to their own platform. I referenced this in my above post:

- If gamers move to PC for the better performance then Sony loses a massive chunk of potential revenue from first party sales, third party sales, DLC, MTX, PS+, accessories and whatnot. Not to mention people tend to play where their friends are, so if someone moves from PS5 to PC for their gaming needs, then it's possible their friends will too. It's a huge snowball effect

vivftp

look....if there is a pro and is announced soony....they better have actual mind raping "Next-Gen" new IP games. this gen has been so disappointing because of that.

The Pro probably won't be announced until next Summer. Sony has zero reason to officially unveil a console 1.5 years out as it'd hinder their sales. Anything that gets announced soon will come in the form of leaks.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So proprietary hardware? Since RDNA 4 will be out until next year, and AMD solution is just brute forcd
I wouldnt be shocked if it's how they did the PS4 Pro, it had Polarias with bits n pieces of Vega.

"To accommodate ultra HD rendering, there are obviously boosts to the GPU too, and they hail from AMD's architectures of the present and indeed the future, just as Cerny said at the PlayStation Meeting last month.

"Polaris is a very energy efficient GPU architecture that lets us boost the GPU power pretty dramatically, while keeping the console form-factor roughly the same. DCC - which is short for delta colour compression - is a roadmap feature that's been improved for Polaris. It's making its PlayStation debut in PS4 Pro," Mark Cerny shares, confirming in the process that this feature was not implemented in the standard PS4 model.

"DCC allows for inflight compression of the data heading towards framebuffers and render targets which results in a reduction in the bandwidth used to access them. Since our GPU power has increased more than our bandwidth, this has the potential to be extremely helpful."

Other elements of Polaris also feature in the PlayStation 4 Pro, though their deployment may have a slightly different feature set than the discrete GPU equivalent."

"In actual fact, two new AMD roadmap features debut in the Pro, ahead of their release in upcoming Radeon PC products - presumably the Vega GPUs due either late this year or early next year."

Me anytime this thread gets bumped up.

F0mSrNlWwAIrT3f
Lmao!!

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

- If gamers move to PC for the better performance then Sony loses a massive chunk of potential revenue from first party sales, third party sales, DLC, MTX, PS+, accessories and whatnot.

Exactly. Not sure why people don’t understand this part.
They potentially can lose customers going to Steam and buying all the 3rd party and 1st party stuff on PC instead of PS. Even losing 10% of there customers is alot.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I need to buy a new PS5 soon and have been banking on the Slim releasing this year. However Sony stop pissing around and just release the Pro this year please, so I can just cut to the chase. 😂🙏😢

PeteBull

Exactly. Not sure why people don’t understand this part.
They potentially canlose customers going to Steam and buying all the 3rd party and 1st party stuff stuff on PC instead of PS. Even losing 10% of there customers is alot.
Thats why it was obvious we gonna get midgen upgrade, from both xbox and playstation, right at the start.

Those companies dont lose anything with midgen upgrades, only gain- more console sales, and they are making sure most hardcore fanbase got an option to buy premium mashine, aka stay in their ecosystem, we arent like those casuals who buy 1-2 games/year, we are willing to spend hundreds and sometimes even tousands of usd/euros on our hobby yearly, and are sometimes(often:p) blinded by our love for games, aka our wallets gonna get emptied, despite their screams and we will be happy about it ;D

Last edited:

Loxus

Did the PS5 specs even got leak besides the little bit from Github?

I'm more sure we had to wait for Sony to release the PS5 specs. I expect the same with the PS5 Pro.

Historia

Banned
If the PS5 Pro really does have >2x RT performance of base PS5, then it's far above RDNA 3 RT capabilities. It's either RDNA 4 based or Sony proprietary hardware included. Either way, I'm ready. So bring it!
I think they gonna used 54 CUs RDNA3 to get at least double performance? Not sure the API will handle that asymmetrical design for PS5 games performance?

For RT I think they gonna use their own proprietary hardware. Also no change in CPU and maybe 1.65TB of SSD.

Kokoloko85

Those companies dont lose anything with midgen upgrades, only gain- more console sales

Yep.
I don’t know why certain gamers act like its gonna cause an issue to them or the games. If they don’t like it, just don’t buy it.

Last time there was all the FUD about developers not being able to work with 2 SKU’s, PS4/PS4 Pro. Thats been proven not to be an issue and has actually been great because now we get choices or performance or resolution Etc. I doubt games like Ratchet and Clank etc on PS5 would of had all these performance options if we didnt go down the Pro path

skit_data

That's probably accurate but personally I think PS5 Pro will be more expensive. If we look at the Dualsense Edge, which is mainly aimed at some sort of "pro" customer base it costs over twice as much as a regular controller.
I don't think the PS5 Pro will cost twice as much as a regular PS5 but I could easily see it cost more than $700.

If the PS5 Pro really does have >2x RT performance of base PS5, then it's far above RDNA 3 RT capabilities. It's either RDNA 4 based or Sony proprietary hardware included. Either way, I'm ready. So bring it!
Im guessing its the same concept as PS4 Pro with double the CU count. Due to how AMD implements RT as either/or that extra hardware will likely be specialized for RT vs raster performance with a focus on memory bandwidth and cache performance, along with the inherent RDNA3/4 CU performance boosts and maybe clock increase.

With a 20%-30% clock increase, the CU improvements, and offloading RT to the other CUs, paper performance could fall somewhere between 15-20Tflops while overall performance could be up to 3x.

Regardless, I’m excited for the refreshes. I didn’t jump on the Pro or One X last gen but feel like these mid gen upgrades will have a bigger impact on general gaming with 4k/120hz/VRR.

Ronin_7

The future of crossgen has been written in the stars. When PS6 releases expect 3-5 years of:

*PS5 - 1080p 30fps (barebones RT)
*PS5 Pro - 1440p 30fps / 1080p 60fps (barebones to moderate RT)
*PS6 - 1440p-2160p, 30-60-120fps, moderate to advanced RT.
Seems right but PS5 Pro at 1080p 30fps will be moderate to advanced RT, mostly advanced if the leaks are right (2.5-3x RT capabilities of PS5).

PS6 at 1080p 30fps would be Path Tracing territory.

vivftp

Original model already on sale to empty inventory.

They'd be clearing inventory to make way for the PS5 revision rumored to be due out around September. Tom said it's been in production since April so they're probably planning to flood those models into retail channels to make a quick transition from the two old models to the singular new model.

The PS5 Pro isn't going to be officially acknowledged by Sony for around a year or so.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not sure if I will get this. I WILL probably get it day1 since I am all PS this gen.
I had ps4 slim last gen and it was awesome. Super small, super quiet and fits everywhere.
I was taking it to my buddy very often. It made for an amazing bloodborne backpack to a friend.

PS5 pro though? Will surely be huge and still silent I bet. I am afraid it will be super expensive and what can it do? A bit more stable performance modes? They cannot upgrade on anything but the cpu/gpu. ssd/io/vram is all there.
With current pricing and how many skus there are available for consoles, it's just a nuisance. It makes no sense to release pro this gen. Not yet since the gen barely started what feels like this year because of covid

Xtib81

I hope they don't make the same mistake they did with the PS4 pro. The only thing that was pro in that console was the name. Go all in Sony and don't be afraid to release a 700€ box but for that price the jump has to be substancial. I'm already tired to see PS4-looking games running at 45fps..

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

I hope they don't make the same mistake they did with the PS4 pro. The only thing that was pro in that console was the name. Go all in Sony and don't be afraid to release a 700€ box but for that price the jump has to be substancial. I'm already tired to see PS4-looking games running at 45fps..
Then buy an all in PC.

Computer Pc GIF by weSpark
T-Force Cat GIF by TEAMGROUP

Last edited:
Top Bottom