• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex Rockstar Dev Answers The PC Port Question

nani17

are in a big trouble
Why Does The PC Port Take So Long

It's about polishing the game and also because the PC is more powerful it allows them to add more including adding more to cutscenes. Also, the obvious PC's have different configs in comparison to consoles. He also mentions they focus on the Playstation rather than the Xbox. Once both are sorted out the team focuses on the PC version.

I know we all think it's about the double dip but I honestly do prefer devs took their time when it comes to massive game like this

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Make It Rain Money GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Makes sense he's an "ex" dev with those junior school backyard fanboy war points, lol.

O bu bu bu so many different PC configurations (that all utilize like the same apis and instructions and drivers and with such an overwhelming market share by one brand the only difference is their performance that we couldn't care less about when we release our unoptimized mess anyway).

Random solo or Chinese mobile game devs somehow make it work just fine on possibly more segmented in types of hardware platforms - yes plural (and they release PC & console ports too, lol).

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Makes sense he's an "ex" dev with those junior school backyard fanboy war points, lol.

O bu bu bu so many different PC configurations (that all utilize like the same apis and instructions and drivers and with such an overwhelming market share by one brand the only difference is their performance that we couldn't care less about when we release our unoptimized mess anyway).

Random solo or Chinese mobile game devs somehow make it work just fine on possibly more segmented in types of hardware platforms - yes plural (and they release PC & console ports too, lol).
Mobile devs can make it work because their games work on potatoes. They don’t really need to do anything but build it.

Alexios

Mobile devs can make it work because their games work on potatoes. They don’t really need to do anything but build it.
Games of Genshin Impact and higher caliber working on potatoes is the devs' feat. And yes of course they have to build it.

The adding "more" to PC is silly too, they have all the higher assets created from start then downgrade for each platform appropriately, they aren't gonna make higher polygon models and higher res textures and what not after the fact, that'd be completely ass backwards and like making a remake.

Ok they might need to tweak lighting etc. to account for more accurate RT with more rays or whatever but half the point of using such features is to streamline development, not make it harder, so most of it should be handled by their engine/tools, made for higher end, downgraded appropriately...

Last edited:

twilo99

You can basically apply this across the whole industry and you will understand why most games perform marginally better on the PS5

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Boombox Shut Up GIF

geary

He basically said nothing. PC versions usually have enhanced features and PS is main platform due to having more owners.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
As a Rockstar double-dipper, it makes perfect business sense to me. A 1-2 year gap from console release to PC port gives me just the right amount of time to hanker for another playthrough.

I tried finding lifetime GTA V sales by platform, but couldn't. But it makes sense to put fewer dedicated resources towards PC when you know it's not going to sell as many copies as console. Release the game on console>have your A Team start the new main project>B Team gets to work on porting to PC.

Alexios

Hi there, do you care to elaborate on how this animator as others said he is/was would have to do additional work for the PC version?

You know animations are no longer made frame by frame like in the past so PC going higher fps than PS5 isn't going to be more work for him (and even if it was they'd make the higher spec first then downgrade), right?

Nobody even said anything negative about the game/the PS5 for you to start reacting so emotionally charged to everyone not praising the person who happened to say they're putting PS5 first like you did for everyone not praising Spider-Man 1.55 so maybe let the adults talk.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
They are baiting double dippers. Not falling for it again. Did it for RDR2 and the difference was night and day, and that is STILL stuck at 30 fps on consoles.

It will go consoles —-> a year later, the rockstar launcher where they will collect 100% of revenue—-> a few months later, steam

PC bros with a console won't double dip if it comes out day one.

If any developer has the resources to release a competent PC port day one it's the guys who make GTA, are you kidding me? It's about the double dip.

It's because people will double dip. There is not aother reason.

You only get one shot at getting a double dip from PC gamers, and that’s by withholding it and releasing on console first.

It’s painfully clear that this is the truth. I don't understand why they had to lie about this. I mean, just don’t say anything at all if you are just going to lie.

I watched this earlier and as expected there was nothing interesting here. I personally don't buy it. Plenty of games release with pc same day. Admittedly they aren't as a polished as R* games but no games are as polished as R* games on launch day.

I suspect at this point with architechture more and more similar than ever. This is purely a business decision. It's fucking shit but whatever I'll buy a PS5 Pro and flip it shortly after completing then get it on PC when it comes out.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm not saying this as a console-chad (I have a gaming PC) but honestly considering the sorry state most PC ports come out in these days, I really wonder if devs have the capacity to make this version of the game simultaneously with all the others. Like, it is really, really bad. You see sites like PC Gamer complain about it all the time, but then they complain about the next obvious step, which is to focus on that version once the others are wrapped up. Even if it is just a month to test configurations, do shader compilation, etc., like why not.

Ex-Rockstar Dev spreads the same bullshit lie his company tells the employees to say even though modders have proved it wrong time and time again by looking at the PC release files that the game was ready at the same time as the console release.
No doubt a PC version exists, but is it tested at the same time? Are the gazillion issues that come out when every new "AAA" PC game comes out these days resolved at the same time? That really is what we are talking about here.

Last edited:

SHA

Also the resume shows 5 full years at Rockstar, not 6, guess he can't count either 🤦‍♂️
An ex employee doesn't make him irrelevant, where did this logic come from? I'm not talking hypothetically , just facts, faang companies don't represent the rest of the industry.

Last edited:

Bry0

If rockstar wanted a simultaneous release they could make it happen. It’s a choice to stagger it, and primarily a financial one.

JonSnowball

Disagree with someone if you want but this is taking things way too far and uncalled for.
It's hyperbole resonating from how I feel about myself from time to time. Doesn't everyone occasionally wish their father had just jerked it instead of doing their mother, especially in those times of stress and depression.

I hope you know I love and cherish you, as I do every individual in their own way as I meet and interact with them. May the light of God guide you to a land of chocolate.

There's absolutely no other valid argument besides the very obvious double dip. It just so happens every single other company can release competent PC versions alongside consoles at launch, but this one studio can't do it? When even their own older games like Max Payne 3 did it in under 2 weeks? Bullshit. They fucking do it for the double dip and no other reasons than that. They're scummy shit and I'll never support them again. I'm sick of being treated like a second class customer.

It's hyperbole resonating from how I feel about myself from time to time. Doesn't everyone occasionally wish their father had just jerked it instead of doing their mother, especially in those times of stress and depression.

I hope you know I love and cherish you, as I do every individual in their own way as I meet and interact with them. May the light of God guide you to a land of chocolate.

Haha, what?! . I dunno how to respond to your post bro. But hey all good man lol

Top Bottom