• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution of Game of the Year Winner 1980-2018 Video.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Pac-Man 1980 Donkey Kong 1981 Pitfall! 1982 Mario Bros. 1983 Elite 1984 Super Mario Bros. 1985 The Legend of Zelda 1986 Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! 1987 Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988) Tetris 1989 Super Mario World 1990 Street Fighter II: The World Warrior 1991 Mortal Kombat (1992) Doom 1993 Donkey Kong Country 1994 Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 1995 Super Mario 64 (1996) Final Fantasy VII (1997) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 1998 Unreal Tournament(1999) The Sims (2000) Halo: Combat Evolved 2001 Metroid Prime 2002 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2003 Half-Life 2 (2004) Resident Evil 4 (2005) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 2006 Super Mario Galaxy 2007 Fallout 3 (2008) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves 2009 Mass Effect 2 (2010) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011 Journey 2012 The Last of Us 2013 Dragon Age: Inquisition 2014 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 2015 Uncharted 4: A Thief's End 2016 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2017 Red Dead Redemption 2 (2018)

Also RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 SPOILER IN THAT VIDEO.

Last edited:
Somebody doesn't really care for Sega. So many memories, though. That was great.

Also RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 SPOILER IN THAT VIDEO. Thankfully I already finished the game, but you might want to warn people, IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
W3 deserved it.
Eh. I had way more fun with Skyrim than The Witcher III. But then again, they've got Uncharted on there more than once, and those are games I can't even stand because they're so boring.

Armorian

Banned
Eh. I had way more fun with Skyrim than The Witcher III. But then again, they've got Uncharted on there more than once, and those are games I can't even stand because they're so boring.

All bethesda games are boring AF too me, I remember leaving dungeon in Oblivion in 2007, looking around enviroment, turning the game off and never playing it again LOL. Similar story with Skyrim (but this time I played the game for few h), Witcher on the other hand mix open world with storytelling quality of linear games, it was joy to play for me (even if controls are far from perfect). Maybe I just don't like sandbox games.

Killer751

Banned
Somebody doesn't really care for Sega. So many memories, though. That was great.

Also RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 SPOILER IN THAT VIDEO. Thankfully I already finished the game, but you might want to warn people, IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo

The Nintendo bias was very real up until the Playstation came out. These days its only Zelda that gets way more attention and hype than it deserved, but back then every major Nintendo release was treated that way.

The Nintendo bias was very real up until the Playstation came out. These days its only Zelda that gets way more attention and hype than it deserved, but back then every major Nintendo release was treated that way.

Oh, I remember, but not having a single Sega game in the entire list is a bit much for me. And I say that as someone who vastly preferred the SNES over the Genesis.

nkarafo

I never knew the first Mortal Kombat earned a GOTY in 1992. Was there a lack of games or something? I know Sonic 2 was released then. MK wasn't that good, the sequel was vastly improved and even that is arguable if it's as good as the 1991 GOTY Street Fighter 2.

Kenpachii

Lol not even a single one of these are in it, imagine that.

What a joke.

League of legends.
World of warcraft ( probably biggest game market has ever known )
Gta 5
Fortnite.
myst
Pugb
minecraft

W3 deserved it.

Not when neither Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, nor Divinity: Original Sin 2 got it.

And Donkey Kong Country for '94? Not in a year that gave us Final Fantasy VI and Super Metroid. Heck, Donkey Kong '94 was always the better DK game.

BTW, where did this list come from?

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kinda sad that the 2 most fundamental of video-games genres, racing and shmups never seemed to get a look in.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Well I agree with a few of these. Most I would probably pick a different game for that year

Wait, wasn't 2012 more for The Walking Dead instead of Journey? Also quite sure God of War has more 2018 GOTY awards, and more from bigger places, that RDR2. Doesn't really matter though as there is now so many GOTY awards and multiple games released in the same year getting GOTY editions it's become extra meaningless.

Still, it's sad back in the day pretty much every game was qualified for GOTY, now days stuff like fighting games are disqualified just for there genre despite being GOTY winners in the 90's, further runs home just how meaningless they've become.

Dragon Age : Inquisition has no business being in that video. None.
Made worse when you look up the list of 2014 games and see that the same ones giving it GOTY were giving other games much better critical reception.

Top Bottom