• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evergreen State college to pay professor at center of protests 500k

Deepwater

White guy crying racism? Jesus you're disingenuous.

Weinstein took particular issue with one policy, put in place to encourage equity at Evergreen ”faculty voted to require official, yearly reflections on our individual progress relative to racial diversity." He appears to conflate this attempt to mend historical inequality and combat racism at Evergreen, with discrimination against white people, writing, ”It is hard to imagine a person of color being flagged by a conversion panel, or as an internal hiring candidate, due to their yearly reflections revealing cryptic bias, or insufficient progress with respect to race. But it is all too easy to imagine a white person (whatever that is taken to mean) being challenged on this basis." He continues that as a result of these and other diversity policies, ”We have now imposed on ourselves a de facto hierarchy based on skin color, and hooked it directly to mechanisms of hiring, promotion and dismissal–empowering some, and disempowering others."

and you cant read, so where do we go from here?

I mean you brought it up.

lots of white moderates/centrists on this site don't like me. It's very much a personal problem (for them) that exactly 0 of them have ever addressed me privately.

since we're all centering the white-guy-crying-racism's side of the story, lets hear from the actual students POV yall dont care about. Because clear none of yall even read past the lede

http://www.cooperpointjournal.com/2017/03/20/re-equity-inclusion-silence-and-fear-faculty-emails-reveal-controversy-over-race-and-diversity-at-evergreen/
Casting the professor's comments as "white-guy-crying-racism" makes me think that while you may have read his comments, you haven't processed them.

Deepwater

Casting the professor's comments as "white-guy-crying-racism" makes me think that while you may have read his comments, you haven't processed them.

Sorry for not giving the benefit of the doubt to a white guy who thinks incorporating initiatives to improve Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in employee performance reviews is racism against white people. THEN following him to go on a bunch of right wing media platforms to cry about being a victim because students non violently organized against him and said some mean things in the process?

Yes, that's white guy crying racism

Yeoman

At one point his wife was threatened and there were people moving throughout the campus searching from car to car for him.
Shit was absolutely mental.

These were the same protesters that effectively took the the president of the college hostage and wouldn't let him use the bathroom on their own.

He's Jewish actually, a group of people that have had to deal with their own forms of discrimination.
That's one of the reasons why he took issue with what the protesters initially wanted.

Zolo

I don't like the idea of putting the students in the cross hairs of the conservative, freeze peach, reverse racism is the real racism folks in retaliation though

I think it can be said that this could be considered a bad idea without having to constantly worry about the alt-right getting a new scapegoat.

GYODX

Sorry for not giving the benefit of the doubt to a white guy who thinks incorporating initiatives to improve Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in employee performance reviews is racism against white people. THEN following him to go on a bunch of right wing media platforms to cry about being a victim because students non violently organized against him and said some mean things in the process?

So you didn't read or are choosing to ignore the part where students were actively looking for him, going to car to car, throughout campus.

Is this place even a real university? Just briefly reading about them makes them sound like like another "alternative college" like the new school in nyc

Going on a media outlet is a pretty shit reason to attack someone. I hate Fox as much as the next guy, but when the guy was ignored by the left wing media due to leftist blood-lust on the issue the guy really had no other choice if he wanted to get his side of the story out.

Exactly. I'm more concerned about the fact that a self-identified progressive professor had to go on Tucker Carlson to get his pretty reasonable message out to the world because the CNNs and MSNBCs of the world wouldn't even hear this guy out than the fact that he went on Tucker Carlson.

Audioboxer

One of the worst examples of the left eating it's own imaginable given the professors history with fighting for equality and being as progressive as they come. Not to mention an evolutionary biology teacher so he was actually giving out high quality scientific education. I can't remember what his wife was teaching. If you want one of the best case studies to look at it's of Bret Weinstein. Not surprised the College settled.

Some activist students in America are absolutely fucking bonkers. Like genuinely a threat, if not the most unequiped for life, bratish, hostile and aggressive young kids you could ever find. Some of the videos of these students on YouTube are downright embarrassing to the human race that these young adults would refer to themselves as intellectuals in higher education. Shameful that people behave in the ways some of them did with the threats, hostility, demands and abuse.

Deepwater

So you didn't read or are choosing to ignore the part where students were actively looking for him, going to car to car, throughout campus.

So you didn't read the parts where the students were getting death threats of their own because the guy went on a right wing media tour?

NexusCell

lots of white moderates/centrists on this site don't like me. It's very much a personal problem (for them) that exactly 0 of them have ever addressed me privately.

Trust me when I say it's not exclusive to white people. I've seen you're previous posts in other threads and it's always you being the most judgemental or reactionary. It's perfectly alright to criticize him for going on Fox News, but ignoring the context and following events tells me you tend to ignore information that opposes your personal narrative.

Infinite

One of the worst examples of the left eating it's own imaginable given the professors history with fighting for equality and being as progressive as they come. Not to mention an evolutionary biology teacher so he was actually giving out high quality scientific education. If you want one of the best case studies to look at its of Bret Weinstein. Not surprised the College settled.

Some activist students in America are absolutely fucking bonkers. Like genuinely a threat, if not the most unequiped, bratish, hostile and aggressive young kids you could ever find. Some of the videos of these students on YouTube are downright embarrassing to the human race that these young adults would refer to themselves as intellectuals in higher education.
It's weird using a buncha kids still in school as an example of "everything wrong with The Left™"

I think it can be said that this could be considered a bad idea without having to constantly worry about the alt-right getting a new scapegoat.
That's what literally happened here.

Deepwater

Trust me when I say it's not exclusive to white people. I've seen you're previous posts in other threads and it's always you being the most judgemental or reactionary. It's perfectly alright to criticize him for going on Fox News, but ignoring the context and following events tells me you tend to ignore information that opposes your personal narrative.

there's no love lost, trust.

Audioboxer

It's weird using a buncha kids still in school as an example of "everything wrong with The Left™"

Not at all. The youth are the future generations growing up to "run" countries. I said this is a good case study of the left eating it's own and it is. I didn't say it was everything wrong with the left.

Infinite

It's not just the kids but also the larger reaction to the situation.
Was responding to the post I quoted which mentioned nothing of "larger reaction to the situation"
Not at all. The youth are the future generations growing up to "run" countries. I said this is a good case study of the left eating it's own and it is. I didn't say it was everything wrong with the left.
But kids are fucking dumb. The good thing is they're still in school and still young. They can learn from their actions before they get out into the real world and improve their politics and strategies a bit. I think pointing at a bunch of kids as T H E problem with The Left™ is just fucking silly to me. I'm sorry

NexusCell

They are associated with the left so the left naturally gets bad press whenever they do something stupid.

Also these aren't fucking high schoolers. They're in college. They're old enough to fuck and some are old enough to drink. They are not "kids". Stop downplaying shitty behavior just because they are politically aligned with yours.

Some of these people are in their 20s. Stop calling them "kids".

These people can vote.
Get pregnant.
Get married.
Take out student loans.
Own a house.
Drive.
Join the military.

These are not kids.

Infinite

Some of these people are in their 20s. Stop calling them "kids". THEY CAN VOTE.
But they are kids. They're still learning and for the most part they probably learning about politics through the politics of their own campuses which are their communities.

Dyle

Yeah, this settlement isn't surprising. The university fucked up and handled everything poorly, they needed to either come out in support of the professor immediately as a faculty member or tell him and his wife to stay off campus completely until everything blew over. By not doing either they made things worse and exposed him to all the abuse he got. 500k for two faculty members honestly seems a little low given everything that happened, but I suppose everyone involved wanted to get it behind them and move on.

Audioboxer

Some of these people are in their 20s. Stop calling them "kids". THEY CAN VOTE.

They behave like kids. It's the height of temper tantrums and throwing toys out of the pram at the mere sight of any sort of debate, conflict or situation that might require a civil conversation. The aggression, demands, threats and everything on display that's caught on tape are the kinds of footage you'll hope they'll rewatch one day and think "maybe I was out of line there". Then again some "kids" never grow up.

Colleges and Universities are supposed to be breeding grounds for intellectual stimulation, debate, challenges and for you and your world views to be put under test. It's no wonder the right get so much damn mileage out of education with some of what's caught on camera or described in modern education.

Was responding to the post I quoted which mentioned nothing of "larger reaction to the situation"

But kids are fucking dumb. The good thing is they're still in school and still young. They can learn from their actions before they get out into the real world and improve their politics and strategies a bit. I think pointing at a bunch of kids as T H E problem with The Left™ is just fucking silly to me. I'm sorry

Learning about yourself and how to mature is one thing, threatening people, screaming demands in their faces, getting uncontrollably angry and calling for jobs/blood at the mere sniff of a disagreement is another. Reasonable educational institutions would be disciplining some of the behaviour that went on, not entertaining it. You can't threaten people, let alone your own professors. Hence why the lawsuit came about and why it's been settled.

They're not kids. They're adults. They can vote, they can get media coverage, they can influence and steer the discussion across the country (for better or worse), they can be violent and they can make their campuses look like war zones if things get out of hand.

NexusCell

But they are kids. They're still learning and for the most part they probably learning about politics through the politics of their own campuses which are their communities.

That doesn't make them kids. People continue to learn about themselves all throughout their lives.

knkng

Yes, Me. The black man decrying thinly veiled dog whistling white centrism, is part of the problem of racism. Not the guy who went on a whole right wing media tour to paint himself as the victim of a "blood lust" filled crusade by left wing college students for sympathy with a white audience.

I ain't ask to be on this damn ship anyway.
My problem is that you excuse threats against him as not being an issue, because according to you he was never in danger since a black person wouldn't risk their educational prospects over this.

First off, this isn't "punching a Nazi". It's just some guy who didn't agree with what was happening. Not everything is a threat against the livelihood of black people and needs to be responded to as such (ie. threatening him is outrageous).

Second, you for some reason assume that it is black people threatening him. Why?

Lastly, drawing these racial concessions of "well clearly he was safe because a black person _______" is beyond absurd. You are drawing arbitrary lines so that no matter what happens, the argument will fall in your favour.

I have no issues with you hating this guy, or whatever, but changing the rules and context as you go is extremist nonsense. Using this logic we can condemn and/or justify anything we want, and it's detrimental to people who are actually trying to do good, imo.

You could say this about most people in their 40s. Not kids.

They behave like kids. It's the height of temper tantrums and throwing toys out of the pram at the mere sight of any sort of debate, conflict or situation that might require a civil conversation. The aggression, demands, threats and everything on display that's caught on tape are the kinds of footage you'll hope they'll rewatch one day and think "maybe I was out of line there". Then again some "kids" never grow up.

Colleges and Universities are supposed to be breeding grounds for intellectual stimulation, debate, challenges and for you and your world views to be put under test. It's no wonder the right get so much damn mileage out of education with some of what's caught on camera or described in modern education.
The fact that our society has extended childhood into the late teenage years doesn't change their legal status. That's my point. Are our young people today increasingly maladapted to adult life and lacking the emotional sophistication necessary for the world outside of education? As a teacher, I say "god damn it, yes".

I agree about everything you say otherwise, though. At a previous high school I taught at, a number of my students planned on going to a "Christian University" so that they could be in a familiar culture. To those I knew well enough that I felt like they wouldn't cry to their parents about oppression, I would tell them what a mistake that is. The point of higher education is to challenge yourself intellectually and expand your mind about different viewpoints. To go to a school with the intention of keeping your beliefs intact is missing the point entirely. I wish we wouldn't even dignify such schools as being universities in this day and age.

Infinite

They're not kids. They're adults. They can vote, they can get media coverage, they can influence and steer the discussion across the country (for better or worse), they can be violent and they can make their campuses look like war zones if things get out of hand.
They have responsibilities and are going to have to be responsible for their actions. Sure. Not arguing otherwise. I'm just saying it's silly to hold people, kids essentially, who are still living on college campuses and kinda new to politics and adulthood in general as what's holding The Left™ Back from achieving glory or whatever. That's nonsense man.

NexusCell

My problem is that you excuse threats against him as not being an issue, because according to you he was never in danger since a black person wouldn't risk their educational prospects over this.

First off, this isn't "punching a Nazi". It's just some guy who didn't agree with what was happening. Not everything is a threat against the livelihood of black people and needs to be responded to as such (ie. threatening him is outrageous).

Second, you for some reason assume that it is black people threatening him. Why?

Lastly, drawing these racial concessions of "well clearly he was safe because a black person _______" is beyond absurd. You are drawing arbitrary lines so that no matter what happens, the argument will fall in your favour.

I have no issues with you hating this guy, or whatever, but changing the rules and context as you go is extremist nonsense. Using this logic we can condemn and/or justify anything we want, and it's detrimental to people who are actually trying to do good, imo.
uJk01CI.gif

KHarvey16

They have responsibilities and are going to have to be responsible for their actions. Sure. Not arguing otherwise. I'm just saying it's silly to hold people, kids essentially, who are still living on college campuses and kinda new to politics and adulthood in general as what's holding The Left™ Back from achieving glory or whatever. That's nonsense man.

It was offered as an example of the left eating its own. The teacher is unquestionably very liberal and the students threatening him were also unquestionably on the left.

knkng

Stupid college kids aren't holding the left back, but it doesn't help when people prop them up or excuse their actions.

You could say this about most people in their 40s. Not kids.

The fact that our society has extended childhood into the late teenage years doesn't change their legal status. That's my point. Are our young people today increasingly maladapted to adult life and lacking the emotional sophistication necessary for the world outside of education? As a teacher, I say "god damn it, yes".

I agree about everything you say otherwise, though. At a previous high school I taught at, a number of my students planned on going to a "Christian University" so that they could be in a familiar culture. To those I knew well enough that I felt like they wouldn't cry to their parents about oppression, I would tell them what a mistake that is. The point of higher education is to challenge yourself intellectually and expand your mind about different viewpoints. To go to a school with the intention of keeping your beliefs intact is missing the point entirely. I wish we wouldn't even dignify such schools as being universities in this day and age.

You shouldn't paint with such a broad brush.
There's nothing wrong with the vast majority of Christian colleges. Notre Dame is better than 99% of universities in the country.

Most Christian universities aren't propaganda factories like Liberty.

Infinite

It was offered as an example of the left eating its own. The teacher is unquestionably very liberal and the students threatening him were also unquestionably on the left.
The professor made a bad decision putting the students in the crosshairs of the conservative types.
Stupid college kids aren't holding the left back, but it doesn't help when people prop them up or excuse their actions.
Yeah exactly

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Some people in here acting like just because he's white he can't get hurt. I think they're mixing up a group of angry students with the police.

kirblar

You shouldn't paint with such a broad brush.
There's nothing wrong with the vast majority of Christian colleges. Notre Dame is better than 99% of universities in the country.

Most Christian universities aren't propaganda factories like Liberty.
If someone is talking about a "Christian" college, they mean an Evangelical school. (Just like w/ nearly every other usage of "Christian" where you could otherwise specify a denomination.)

Going to Notre Dame or Georgetown? Awesome. Liberty? Not so much.

Top Bottom