• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games, the maker of Fortnite and Unreal Engine, is laying off a whopping 16% of employees (or around 900 people)

Unreal Engine, Unreal Marketplace, Megagrants, Quixel etc. are amazing. And Epic has done a lot for Indie Devs, more than any other company around.
I hope they stop trying to be Roblox and refocus. As for the Epic Store, they have good intentions, but it's much harder than expected.

Now that Fortnite "Metaverse Creator economy" is ridiculous. Amateurish meme levels make more money than the Epic employees who made it possible.
It's like the biggest crap swims at the top of the slurry.

Bojji

Finally trimming the obligatory diversity hires i see

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

aOw2Vxx.jpg

So they hired 6% of white people while they are 71% in entire population :pie_thinking:

demigod

So much for 12% cut. Now a bunch of their employees are laid off. Wonder how those employees feel now about EGS.

I wonder what caused that.
Layoffs are happening across tech. Their eyes were bigger than their stomachs and the cost of maintaining so many employees is staggering especially when the revenue isn't coming in.

With interest rates up, you can't simply finance through this, and cash is getting tight.

Laying off 900 people... with salaries and benefits, you're probably saving at least 150-200 million dollars annually...

Killjoy-NL

With slow Fortnite growth maybe they’ll get off their asses and make a new game for once.

Couldn’t really care less for Epic but sucks for the people affected, of course. Happy to hear they got a six month severance at least.
They shouldn't have cancelled Paragon, or pick it up again somewhere along the line.

Feels like Sony is about to own Epic games.

I was thinking this might be a precursor for Tim selling. A massive decision for a privately held company. He could have easily staggered this and the 6 months of severance somewhat defeats the purpose of this. I wonder how accurate that reporting is. Maybe it's up to 6 months* rather than across the board.

That being said I don't think Sony would be the buyer here. If Sony got Tim's shares, that would put them at 55% ownership, but they'd still need to buy out Tencent and Kirkbi. Tencent buying would make more sense there. Going further, I don't think Sony could afford to buy Epic, at least not at their last 3% which cost them a billion... that would value the company as a whole at over 33 billion dollars. Surely that would have come down considerably post-pandemic highs, but you're still looking at 20+ billion dollars.

The Epic v Apple trial not going the way Sweeney hoped for?

I mean obviously, it didn't right, but that doesn't mean he was wrong to pursue litigation.

Ultimately, Epic is small peanuts compared to Apple and it was an uphill battle, but had Epic won here, their revenues would have skyrocketed decoupling from the Apple App Store.

Denton

One would think that Sweeney - unironically brilliant programmer - would have done the math as to his Fortnite/Unreal income versus his EGS/lawsuits moneypits, and make sure to only throw money into those pits if he brings in more than he throws away.

But somehow that didn't happen. What the fuck is wrong with you Tim?

But, credit where it's due, 6 month severance is fantastic. If I was one of those affected, I wouldn't mind at all. Would took a year vacation and with Epic on my resume, getting new job would be a breeze.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Meanwhile in a parallel universe...

Stay classy with your over inflated salary and healthy bonus Tim.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
One would think that Sweeney - unironically brilliant programmer - would have done the math as to his Fortnite/Unreal income versus his EGS/lawsuits moneypits, and make sure to only throw money into those pits if he brings in more than he throws away.

But somehow that didn't happen. What the fuck is wrong with you Tim?
Maybe he believes in what he is doing and don’t we respect people with skin in the game / clearly not only looking for profit more than if they have a greedy angle (aka profitable angle, which you say he does not) more? Shouldn’t we?
But, credit where it's due, 6 month severance is fantastic. If I was one of those affected, I wouldn't mind at all. Would took a year vacation and with Epic on my resume, getting new job would be a breeze.
Yeah, quite nice there.

Last edited:
900 people is 16% of the workforce? How on earth does Fortnite and UE warrant that many people?
They have a lot of Dev's that assist studios that take up their tech kinda like as consultants on how to best use the tools to get what they want from it. so I can expect high staff count given UE is used by most of the industry at this point.

Interfectum

Meanwhile in a parallel universe...

Stay classy with your over inflated salary and healthy bonus Tim.
Even more recently:

L*][*N*K

Banned
Almost 1000 people is crazy, that's worth 3 triple AAA studios put together
Wtf were they working on, Fortnite skins?
Pretty much, this is what the reality of those mega popular games are, you have to keep feeding it content and game content none stop.

I hope those people would find meaningful jobs in the industry soon.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

The dumbass tweet in question

Man, that's really shitty. Particularly jarring given that I'm good friends with a fair number of people who work at Epic, but it's especially stupid given that Epic's pretty damn innocuous as far as gaming companies go. They're not EA or Unity or Activision - what actual quarrel could this asshole have with them?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

The Guy Fawkes mask has become so incredibly lame now. I don't see much rebellion in these little hacks like "be nice to laid off developers at a company that makes its fortunes shoveling free-to-play trash onto children." Okay, thanks corporate-friendly Guy, where would we be without your dangerous minions of be-nice guys. Same with "anonymous" which clearly is more of a psyop than a real hacker group at this point.

but it's especially stupid given that Epic's pretty damn innocuous as far as gaming companies go. They're not EA or Unity or Activision - what actual quarrel could this asshole have with them?
I absolutely associate Epic with the destruction of gaming. The trashy free-to-play model lives off of kids paying $10 a pop on their parents cards to buy skins for the celebrity of the week. The whole thing is a trashy and cynical approach, and if these companies ceased to exist the sheer amount of waste in gaming would clear up so much that we'd all instantly breathe easier, live leaving a smog filled city.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

These companies are making millions and millions especially off predatory mtxs yet "sorry we can't afford to pay you"??

This industry is headed for a crash if game devs don't feel its a worthwhile industry to work in

Last edited:
Top Bottom