• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British Game Maker Supermassive Set to Lay Off 90 Workers

British video-game maker Supermassive Games has informed 150 staff members that they are “at risk” of redundancy and will lay off roughly 90, the latest cuts to hit the gaming industry.

Labor laws in the UK require companies to give notice ahead of a mass layoff. Employees were informed of the coming job reductions on Monday morning, according to an email reviewed by Bloomberg News.

Supermassive, a studio with more than 300 employees, is a subsidiary of the privately owned Avalanche Studios Group. In the past, it worked with publishers such as Sony Group Corp. and Take Two Interactive Inc. to develop games such as Until Dawn and The Quarry.

That was somewhat predictable.

As I mentioned I think a lot of these staff could be picked up by Ballistic Moon and ultimately Supermassive will likely end up going under in the next couple of years.

Great opportunity for Sony to take a second shot at essentially buying Supermassive if they buy Ballistic Moon.

Tsaki

Laying off 60% of your company while working on like 3 different games? Yeah shit is dire. Then again them getting stretched this on so many projects might have been a cause of it.
Edit: Not 60%, closer to 30%. Still a big number.

Last edited:

Fbh

Sucks for those involved, hopefully most of them land on their feet.
Supermassive had a lot of potential at one point but they seemed to have peaked with their first big game.
Until Dawn was great but then everything else just felt like a bad copy of it.

Mr Moose

Laying off 60% of your company while working on like 3 different games? Yeah shit is dire. Then again them getting stretched this on so many projects might have been a cause of it.
It's apparently 25-30% (they are larger than I thought).

Edit: Yup, there's 350+ people there.
Founded in 2008, the studio is now home to over 350 talented individuals working across a range of storytelling titles. In 2022 Supermassive Games was fully acquired by Nordisk Games, part of the Egmont Group, and we look forward to even more exciting times with them alongside us.

Last edited:

Based on the growth of Ballistic Moon which has shot up 10% in the last 6 months and how many of their employees have come from Supermassive, I'm sure they're getting gutted for their best staff to the new studio. Ultimately, Ballistic probably has the fully backing of Sony while Supermassive has the backing of... checks notes... Nordisk Film...

They had games that weren't super well advertised and didn't sell super well and the parent company can't keep them afloat.

They're probably don't have the cash flow to continue at this rate and without a game scheduled to release soon the only thing you could really do is finance a game either through banks or from private investors...

This percentage of staff let go... the studio is going to have to restructure into a really small outfit and work on super small games, but if Sony/Ballistic is willing to rescue the workers, the majority could maybe end up with Ballistic as contractors and if Until Dawn is a massive hit with the movie, bring them on full time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That sucks. But that’s the business. Great games. Hope they continue to push them out.
Gaming is an odd business in that you got games that takes years to make and cost a lot of money, but the roles needed are hit and miss pending what role someone has and at what point in the game making it's in. Also, the industry is basically all or nothing project driven kind of work where the game can be a giant seller or a flop. And it seems a lot of studios live by the skin of their teeth of survival whether their latest project is a winner or not in hopes they survive their next 5 year project. It's also an industry that seems to have lots of contractor work due to this, so on one hand the company needs to be nimble and cost effective, but a FT worker costs more and provides experience and stability throughout the project.

For sake of survival, best thing is more game studios to be less top heavy in costs and have games more modestly budgeted games. If you dont got the dollars, dont all egg in one basket it. You can still still make a hit game without needing high budget production values. But it comes down to the company and how stubborn they are. Most game studios seem pretty stodgy and they just make what they feel like and hope it catches on with gamers with suddenly a trailer for a game theyve already sunk 3 years of time and cost on.

Problem is media and entertainment in general (games, movies, tv shows, sports teams) is an industry where no budget is too high, and the first thing companies seem to do is gun for more, more, more or higher costs hoping to whiz bang impress customers with bigger and better.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
That sucks. Why does this keep happening?
Poor management from both the development and publishing side, I think. Unrealistic goals and short sided deals play a role too, but I would probably lump those in with poor management as well, as they are ultimately responsible for them.

Video games in the state that they are in is still kind of in its infancy. I just think greed from the top was expected way too soon from most game companies, not just the Duty and Madden’s.

Tsaki

Based on the growth of Ballistic Moon which has shot up 10% in the last 6 months and how many of their employees have come from Supermassive, I'm sure they're getting gutted for their best staff to the new studio. Ultimately, Ballistic probably has the fully backing of Sony while Supermassive has the backing of... checks notes... Nordisk Film...

They had games that weren't super well advertised and didn't sell super well and the parent company can't keep them afloat.

They're probably don't have the cash flow to continue at this rate and without a game scheduled to release soon the only thing you could really do is finance a game either through banks or from private investors...

This percentage of staff let go... the studio is going to have to restructure into a really small outfit and work on super small games, but if Sony/Ballistic is willing to rescue the workers, the majority could maybe end up with Ballistic as contractors and if Until Dawn is a massive hit with the movie, bring them on full time.
Saw a comment by shinobi, at around the time Until Dawn remaster came up, that Ballistic Moon was already in production of a second game (he shot down it being Until Dawn 2 though). So hopefully they have a good enough pipeline that they could absorb a small part of the laid off employees.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you look at their games library, just about all of them the past 10 years I dont think sell a ton as a whole, but they all seem to involve a lot of production value and actors. So there's no way their games are dirt cheap to make so they can survive on low sales.

Most of the stuff they've made lately I've never heard of. They have a series of games called Dark Pictures Anthology that come out once per year.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
350 people is a very high headcount for a studio who's products have sold decently at best.

Not trying to be mean, but objectively that's the sort of size that demands blockbuster releases. And I honestly don't think anything they've shipped fits close to that description.

Three

This should have been a studio MS bought. They pop out games that would be perfect for a subscription. Small scope, take less time to develop, etc.
Honestly Sony would have been a better fit had there been any interest in a buyout. Until dawn, Rush of blood, Switchback. They had worked with them on several games. A lot of the staff went to a new studio called Ballistic Moon (who's working on UD remake) anyway so that's probably the only reason they didn't get bought out. I hope they land on their feet, maybe reform the team if Ballistic Moon is still hiring.

Last edited:

As I mentioned I think a lot of these staff could be picked up by Ballistic Moon and ultimately Supermassive will likely end up going under in the next couple of years.

Great opportunity for Sony to take a second shot at essentially buying Supermassive if they buy Ballistic Moon.

Yep.

The owners of Supermassive really fucked the studio by playing games with their publisher (Sony)

The real talent is now at Ballistic Moon and will be getting even more employees now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
350 people is a very high headcount for a studio who's products have sold decently at best.

Not trying to be mean, but objectively that's the sort of size that demands blockbuster releases. And I honestly don't think anything they've shipped fits close to that description.
And not just 350 people. 350 people on the corporate payroll as an employee. So it's not like SM Games is talking about contractors since those people dont get laid off. Now that I think of, their payroll might even be more than 350 people pending how many contractors they use too at any given time. It might even be 400 or 500.

Thats a lot of workers to make Dark Picture Anthology games which most people have probably never heard of or bought despite being annual releases.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Like many other companies, over-hired during Covid because demand for at-home entertainment was at an all-time high. Also, companies could borrow money at near zero interest rates during that period. Now that demand has plateaued and coupled that with elevated inflation and interest rates, most companies simply cannot sustain at the size that they were at during the pandemic.

jm89

If you look at their games library, just about all of them the past 10 years I dont think sell a ton as a whole, but they all seem to involve a lot of production value and actors. So there's no way their games are dirt cheap to make so they can survive on low sales.

Most of the stuff they've made lately I've never heard of. They have a series of games called Dark Pictures Anthology that come out once per year.

I'll be surprised if their games are expensive to make.

Dark pictures games arent using big name actors, maybe no too far off a cost of a budget horror movie?

Last edited:
Honestly Sony would have been a better fit had there been any interest in a buyout. Until dawn, Rush of blood, Switchback. They had worked with them on several games. A lot of the staff went to a new studio called Ballistic Moon (who's working on UD remake) anyway so that's probably the only reason they didn't get bought out. I hope they land on their feet, maybe reform the team if Ballistic Moon is still hiring.
I get their past success. Own the games. But they were putting out those Anthology games almost yearly. For GamePass to really be a success, they'd need like 5 studios putting out AA quality games almost yearly, to have content in-between the bigger releases. PS isn't relying on subscriptions but if they wanted to make higher quality, higher funded games, then yea, playstation would have been a better fit. I'm judging based on the content they were making recently.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Like many other companies, over-hired during Covid because demand for at-home entertainment was at an all-time high. Also, companies could borrow money at near zero interest rates during that period. Now that demand has plateaued and coupled that with elevated inflation and interest rates, most companies simply cannot sustain at the size that they were at during the pandemic.
Spot on.

Business and mortgage loan rates probably triple since 2022. No different than a guy buying an expensive house before 2022 at rock bottom rates, businesses are the same. Once those rates jack up and the loan is a variable based loan, or it's time to renew at the current 6%, good luck floating that boat unless the person or company has a solid cash flow situation or a big bank account already to cover it. I just googled it and the avg Canadian business loan is 7% now. So the US will likely be similar.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I hope you're right. It's so obvious to me, that this would be the perfect match up for Sony.

kiphalfton

Guess these point and click adventure games aren't that successful.

Who would have thought.

Guess not Supermassive and Telltale Games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Guess these point and click adventure games aren't that successful.

Who would have thought.

Guess not Supermassive and Telltale Games.
I think the problem with these companies making their specialized games is that they make too many of them. The market is only so big for the kinds of games Supermassive and Telltale make. But look at ther game history and after a successful starter game, they go ape shit making them annually. There must had been time Telltale was making 2-3 of these kinds of games per year overlapping each other. Different franchise license, similar kind of game. Total saturation then followed by major decline.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I think the problem with these companies making their specialized games is that they make too many of them. The market is only so big for the kinds of games Supermassive and Telltale make. But look at ther game history and after a successful starter game, they go ape shit making them annually. There must had been time Telltale was making 2-3 of these kinds of games per year. Different franchise license, similar kind of game. Total saturation then followed by major decline.

For sure.

I enjoyed Until Dawn. Same with Indigo Prophecy from Quantic Dreams, and the first Walking Dead from Telltale.

But yeah, like you said it totally becomes overwhelming with the number of games they put out.

And usually there's one really iconic game from each of these studios that stands head and shoulders above the rest, that none of the other games really comes close to replicating. Telltale probably has the strongest lineup, but even then there is just so many games that it can't help but look like fluff.

Like you said, they oversaturated the market and shot themselves in the foot.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For sure.

I enjoyed Until Dawn. Same with Indigo Prophecy from Quantic Dreams, and the first Walking Dead from Telltale.

But yeah, like you said it totally becomes overwhelming with the number of games they put out.

And usually there's one really iconic game from each of these studios that stands head and shoulders above the rest, that none of the other games really comes close to replicating. Telltale probably has the strongest lineup, but even then there is just so many games that it can't help but look like fluff.

Like you said, they oversaturated the market and shot themselves in the foot.
Yup.

You responded to my quote before I editted it saying overlap. I decided to look at Telltales game library. They had so many games coming out, it got to a point they were even overlapping each other.

Perrott

Gold Member
Saw a comment by shinobi, at around the time Until Dawn remaster came up, that Ballistic Moon was already in production of a second game (he shot down it being Until Dawn 2 though). So hopefully they have a good enough pipeline that they could absorb a small part of the laid off employees.
Yeah, Project Bates, also a horror game and in the works since 2020. Given the timelines, it might see a release 12 to 18 months after the Until Dawn remake and around the same time as Firesprite's own horror game, Project Heartbreak, as well.

Kinda nuts to think that Sony would have like three horror releases within an 18 months window.

Tsaki

Yeah, Project Bates, also a horror game and in the works since 2020. Given the timelines, it might see a release 12 to 18 months after the Until Dawn remake and around the same time as Firesprite's own horror game, Project Heartbreak, as well.

Kinda nuts to think that Sony would have like three horror releases within an 18 months window.
I assumed Project Bates was the UD remaster

jm89

"with many efforts made to avoid this outcome"

yap-i-smell-some-bullshit.gif

Just love when companies say that, lying assholes.

Last edited:

Mooreberg

I am also not very familiar with these games, but I also had a few years where I didn't follow gaming news.

I would wonder, "Why the hell not turn 'Until Dawn' into an anthology series?". It could be like American Horror Story, use the same or closely similar cast (Minus Rami Malek, who has been busy since the Oscar won), but with a new set of characters, a new location, and a new plot.

Turns out the suggested threads at the bottom of the page already had it sorted out:

Why Supermassive Never Made Until Dawn 2

TL;DR - They took money from Sony to build a prototype, only to shop it around. Sounds like execs thought they had a bigger payday ahead if they went multiplatform. Unfortunately for them, the brand is a stronger pull than the studio.

As usual, the rank and file suffer from leadership's collasally bad decision making. Hopefully most end up at this new studio and, along with the movie, we get an Until Dawn 2.

Bkdk

Likely a lot more western studios layoffs to come. Other than helldivers, seems like banishers, suicide squad, skulls and bones all way underperformed and will see some layoffs to whole studio being shut down. I still expect EA to perhaps announce the new dragon age to be released this year and flop big time leading to the end of bioware q4 this year. Soon quite a lot of western devs will have to go to asian game devs to find work and there they will host interview of give us your ideal design of female character, good luck western devs.

xrnzaaas

It's never a good idea when you try to mass produce games based on the same concept. Telltale went down when people got bored / fed up with low quality and it seems to be a similar thing in this case. They should've focused on releasing one bigger adventure game once every few years rather than trying to do it every year.

I hope that the rumors about Ballistic Moon hiring some folks from Supermassive and going back to working closely with Sony are true.

I think the problem with these companies making their specialized games is that they make too many of them. The market is only so big for the kinds of games Supermassive and Telltale make. But look at ther game history and after a successful starter game, they go ape shit making them annually. There must had been time Telltale was making 2-3 of these kinds of games per year overlapping each other. Different franchise license, similar kind of game. Total saturation then followed by major decline.

With Telltales there was also a huge drop off in sales between episodes. I don't think episodic games work.

Top Bottom