• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer Group Cancels ‘Deus Ex’ Video Game, Lays Off 97 Employees

spons

Gold Member
The Swedish gaming company Embracer Group AB is canceling a video game in the beloved Deus Ex series after two years of development and will lay off a number of employees as part of an ongoing initiative to cut costs, according to people familiar with the moves.

Eidos, the Montreal, Canada-based studio behind the game, will instead focus on an original franchise. The canceled Deus Ex project, which had not yet been announced, was slated to enter production later this year, said the people, speaking anonymously because they are not authorized to talk to the press.
Source

Official statement:

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I haven't been following this thing all that closely so could someone please explain to me what's up with all this. Let me know if I have the facts correctly. Embracer Group comes in all big and bad and buys up a ton of companies and then not too long after has some type of financial issues and needs to start making severe cuts and layoffs?

Did they bite off more than they could chew? What's up with all this? Why buy all these companies if you can't afford them? Doesn't seem profitable if the companies you do buy aren't going to be at their best to be able to produce products that will make you money.

Tsaki

They do know that they need to make games and release them to make money, right?

vQjL4qC.png

graywolf323

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

well that fucking sucks, Deus Ex is one of my favorite series and it seems to be cursed 😑

I haven't been following this thing all that closely so could someone please explain to me what's up with all this. Let me know if I have the facts correctly. Embracer Group comes in all big and bad and buys up a ton of companies and then not too long after has some type of financial issues and needs to start making severe cuts and layoffs?

Did they bite off more than they could chew? What's up with all this? Why buy all these companies if you can't afford them? Doesn't seem profitable if the companies you do buy aren't going to be at their best to be able to produce products that will make you money.
they counted their eggs before they hatched, they believed they were going to get a large investment from the Saudis IIRC but then the investment fell through

Last edited:

hyperbertha

First smart thing Embracer has done. There was never a point in trying to make another of these since their efforts were never going to eclipse what SQEX did. SQEX paid for 2 games, and they were heavily marketed with extremely impressive CG trailers. Sales tanked. Better to cancel this than close the studio.
Eidos mntrl developed both Deus ex games. They could have made a third masterpiece, and complete the story. But you'd much rather play suicide squad right? Moron.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Embracer's is collapsing, but I don't know why people are so hostile against them. Most of their teams are eurojank tier factories that make stuff that mostly doesn't sell. If it wasn't for them, the studios would've been culled or closed down earlier.

Eidos is above that level, and I don't like this, but their games aren't huge sellers. Deus Ex hasn't been either. It's shocking that Embracer even greenlit a full new game at all.

Edit: And look at that, they're going to be making a new IP like everyone keeps saying they want as opposed to zombie franchising.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The good news is that Embracer's stock price is low enough that they could be purchased by any of the other remaining large publishers. If we're gonna consolidate let's do it right.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Them being a publisher doesn't absolve you of the clownshow your comment is.
Now that you see I'm not even talking about who developed it, or the quality of the games, I'll explain what I was talking about since you apparently still can't grasp it. I was saying that Deus Ex games, while fun, are not good sellers. The people in charge of selling the game is the publisher. SQEX actually did a phenomenal job marketing both games with some of the best trailers of that gen, and I saw the games marketed. It didn't matter. Greenlighting another game with worse marketing is a guaranteed studio closing move.

But I guess going by your kindergarten business logic as long as you like the game that's as sophisticated as you can get with a games business conversation. Talk about your game wishlist with the other children. I wont be seeing your comments anymore.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
There was a Deus Ex game? I thought Square made Deus Ex. Must have been mistaken. I guess they just published it.

Well that's bad. Embracer is a slowly sinking ship...somebody just put em out of their misery please.

Microsoft should buy Embracer.
Why? They are already firing people left and right and cleaning house.

They should start to worry about releasing good games with the publishers that they bought recently. It's not like Bethesda (Death Loop, Ghostwire, Redfall and Starfield) and Activision (the latest COD being the worst reviewed one in god knows how long and sales declining) are doing that great in terms of output.

Portman

I'm so confused to see the mention of it being dropped for a new original property (unless my short term memory is failing me). All these companies are supposed to be afraid of the investment into something new so you would think they would've eaten up the idea of working on this. Who am I kidding I'm just upset because now Adam Jensen's story is back on hold again.

hyperbertha

Now that you see I'm not even talking about who developed it, or the quality of the games, I'll explain what I was talking about since you apparently still can't grasp it. I was saying that Deus Ex games, while fun, are not good sellers. The people in charge of selling the game is the publisher. SQEX actually did a phenomenal job marketing both games with some of the best trailers of that gen, and I saw the games marketed. It didn't matter. Greenlighting another game with worse marketing is a guaranteed studio closing move.

But I guess going by your kindergarten business logic as long as you like the game that's as sophisticated as you can get with a games business conversation. Talk about your game wishlist with the other children. I wont be seeing your comments anymore.
Putting me to your ignore list doesn't make for a show of confidence in your opinion, but your comments here are generally trash anyway so it's no loss.
I know what embracer is. Most people are smarter than you apparently think. If all you cared about is publisher bottom-line how come you dicksuck suicide squad so much since that one is pretty much a guaranteed disaster?
And two, making divided was marketed horribly. The apartheid thing it was going for was yuck, so you really have no point.

ProtoByte

Great news.

Their Deus Ex was going to be a co-op GaaS.

Now please sell this IP to somebody else, Embracer.
Who, would be my question.
Who has the correct expertise, resources, creative inspiration, and philosophical/political outlook to do Deus Ex properly or elevate it? I can't think of a single studio that truly encompasses all of that or even half competent ones with the time on schedule for it.

intbal

Who, would be my question.
Who has the correct expertise, resources, creative inspiration, and philosophical/political outlook to do Deus Ex properly or elevate it? I can't think of a single studio that truly encompasses all of that or even half competent ones with the time on schedule for it.
Assuming Embracer is in "fire sale" mode and has to let it go for cheap, I'd trust Asobo Studio to do a good job with Deus Ex.

First smart thing Embracer has done. There was never a point in trying to make another of these since their efforts were never going to eclipse what SQEX did. SQEX paid for 2 games, and they were heavily marketed with extremely impressive CG trailers. Sales tanked. Better to cancel this than close the studio.
so they can now make another stupid multiplayer or gaas game. No thanks. This sucks. Really these companies don't want my money. Someone has to cater to us single player gamers , somewhere. Tired of this gaas/mp push. There can only be so many multiplayer games as mp gamers play the same game for 1000s of hours. They don't play new games often like we sp gamers tend to do.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I'm sad that you're right, but you're right. I really wanted another Deus Ex ASAP, so it's the shattered hope that sucks

Top Bottom