• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer is shutting down Volition (Saints Row). Company issues official statement.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
460704-20;1616624787y.jpg

MiguelItUp

Really sad to see. But clearly the "reboot" of Saint's Row was ALL wrong. I mean, the reception was not positive whatsoever, so the writing was unfortunately on the wall.

You can't take a successful and beloved IP, reboot it, and basically change up its primary formula of what worked. I really don't know what they were thinking.

Nonetheless, hoping everyone lands on their feet okay.

NinjaBoiX

They’ve always been an “also ran” kind of studio. Even the games I actually enjoyed like SR2 and RF:G we’re very rough diamonds; fun games with nice ideas but very wonky execution.

It’s always a shame when companies fold and people lose their jobs, but the truth is they just weren’t good enough.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Really sad to see. But clearly the "reboot" of Saint's Row was ALL wrong. I mean, the reception was not positive whatsoever, so the writing was unfortunately on the wall.

You can't take a successful and beloved IP, reboot it, and basically change up its primary formula of what worked. I really don't know what they were thinking.

of course, they changed it because the people changed. "Volition" is just a name on the building. It's not magic. You change the people working there you change the studio.

famous last words:

CNFIuxS.jpg

I am glad they closed off after they went full on attitude of telling their fans to shut up, take it and you will like it on the Saints Row reboot. Fuck them. Hopefully, the good people from there can find jobs, but whoever went on the zoomer train can stay jobless. Go woke, go broke.

Last edited:
That really sucks but whoever greenlit saints woke deserved a canning...

They should of definitely went red faction route and did something ambitious with that IP... and then you could of even got the personality hairs to write a story about rebellion and make them feel important
It's crazy they never made a proper Red Faction Geurilla follow up. Hopefully someone buys the IP and does something fun with it.

Draugoth

Gold Member

Volition, the developer behind the Saints Row series, has shut down after 30 years, the studio announced.

In a message posted to the its official LinkedIn page, the studio said, “This past June, [our parent company] Embracer Group announced a restructuring program to strengthen Embracer and maintain its position as a leader in the video game industry. As part of that program, they evaluated strategic and operational goals and made the difficult decision to close Volition effective immediately.”

Get the full message from Volition below.

The Volition team has proudly created world-class entertainment for fans around the globe for 30 years. We’ve been driven by a passion for our community and always worked to deliver joy, surprise, and delight.
This past June, Embracer Group announced a restructuring program to strengthen Embracer and maintain its position as a leader in the video game industry. As part of that program, they evaluated strategic and operational goals and made the difficult decision to close Volition effective immediately.
To help our team, we are working to provide job assistance and help smooth the transition for our Volition family members. We thank our customers and fans around the world for all the love and support over the years. You will always be in our hearts.
—Volition Games​

F436jj6W4AARV03

Last edited:

Valt7786

Always a shame to see people lose their jobs, will never celebrate that.
But on the other hand, should have listened to the fans when they rightly told you that your new idea for Saints Row was garbage, instead of burying your heads in the sand and telling us we were wrong.

squarealex

It's a real shame.

Saints Row 2 is maybe my favorite sandbox game, the true successor of GTA Trilogy Era.
Saints 3 pick a different way but still fun. Saints 4 is more story driven with some fun stuff in the town of the 3, but not very a "successor" of the Third game.

The PS360 era still allowed other developers to offer sandboxes different from the BIG Rockstar, but at a lower budget while always having more ideas (and sometimes better than those of Rockstar in Gameplay)

Think of Sleepings Dogs, think of Saints Row 2/3..., even crackdown 1 is not very bad. It's really sad that this type of game is becoming more rare because of the technological race, the budget of games which are exploding and becoming difficult to make profit.

The latest Saints Row 2022 is really not a bad game, it has a lot of good ideas, but above all good intentions on the part of the developers.
Just that, like many games, it has undergone modern specifications. And lack some good well writing character (Johnny Gat / Shaundi / Pierce / Boss)

But above all... no one can touch the GTA Online monster, and this is very sad.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

of course, they changed it because the people changed. "Volition" is just a name on the building. It's not magic. You change the people working there you change the studio.

famous last words:

CNFIuxS.jpg
I am glad they closed off after they went full on attitude of telling their fans to shut up, take it and you will like it on the Saints Row reboot. Fuck them. Hopefully, the good people from there can find jobs, but whoever went on the zoomer train can stay jobless. Go woke, go broke.
Man, thanks for the reminders. I completely forgot they went that route! I'm immediately reminded of the "wtf" I felt that day reading them. It felt like social media seppuku, lol.

Darsxx82

ignorant question in these situations...

Before closing Studios, the editors test the possibility of selling it before it closes and disappears??

We have to understand that no one has wanted to buy or even receive Volition as a gift?? 🙄

Top Bottom