• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer Group shuts down Campfire Cabal (Studio was formed by THQ Nordic to make high-quality, narrative-driven RPGs)

This unfortunately is one of the consequences of the planned restructuring program Embracer Group announced back in June. More is to follow I presume...

Here's the studio's website: https://campfirecabal.com/we-are-campfire-cabal/

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Caring about the people in your team is a reason to hire you? I read that as you like to chit chat and talk shit about the management.

Last edited:

Verchod

Reading more from the link, I'll be surprised if we'll get a sequel to Deus Ex. (Think they hinted at it)
All the buying they've been doing in recent times was based on them getting some huge investment. That feel through, so this feels like the first of a number of closures etc. Big shame.

Doesn't Embracer own Daedelic? Or the rights to all LOTR games? Because of so that Gollum game really hurt them it seems.

kiphalfton

From that guy's pitch, I could do everything he mentioned; it sounds generic as hell, and like he doesn't really have any hard skills (all the stuff he mentioned was soft skills, which doesn't really mean much).

Hudo

Oh for fuck's sake. That was the only studio belonging to them that I was interested in. These were the guys at Logic Artists who worked on the Expeditions games and also supported Expeditions: Rome (which is brilliant, btw) after release.
Fuck you, Embracer. And yet you let Piranha Bytes live and they released two duds in a row (Elex).

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
From reading John Romero’s book, all I want to hear about are the game ideas. I don’t know the details, but it sounds like relying on funding screws everyone. Too bad these teams aren’t just making these games in some apartment building somewhere.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Caring about the people in your team is a reason to hire you? I read that as you like to chit chat and talk shit about the management.

Wow. I hope you never end up in a position where you manage other people, sounds like you would be a nightmare to work under to be honest.

Wildebeest

Seems like the thing about being owned by a huge umbrella corporation is if you can't make some super orgasmic action packed sizzle trailer you are not going to have the full backing of the people with real power in the org. They just don't care about your product.

Nikodemos

Such a pity. They were the former Expenditions series devs who didn't want to work on NFTs, so they left to start a different studio.

Ozriel

M$FT
From that guy's pitch, I could do everything he mentioned; it sounds generic as hell, and like he doesn't really have any hard skills (all the stuff he mentioned was soft skills, which doesn't really mean much).

The guy is a producer. You weren’t going to hear about elite programming skills etc

He’d certainly be able to back that up with a resume showing the games he’s helped deliver.

TrueGrime

I know a lot of people that talk shit about MS buying up the industry, but this article I'm reading says Embracer owns around 120 internal studios and nearly 850 IPs. I can't even comprehend that at all.

Patrick S.

Banned
Wow. I hope you never end up in a position where you manage other people, sounds like you would be a nightmare to work under to be honest.
Haha you'd never say that if you knew my in person ;) I'm actually one who often cares about my colleagues too much and have gotten in trouble in the past for speaking up for them... But that's not a "qualification" I'd ever put in my resume.

Kadve

I like THQ. I hope this doesn't negatively impact any possible future Darksiders games.
Interestingly. For being the original and one of the larger, they actually have some of the lowest goodwill (basically a quantified measurement of a company's reputation) among the various Embracer groups. Note though that this was before the after mentioned 2B dollar deal fell apart. Also Saber has by far the highest for some reason.

Igivpwp.png

Last edited:
In the time of free-flowing venture capital you can run an operation like Embracer. Now that the VC has dried up it's shit or get off the pot.

Labadal

For those that don't know who these guys are, they are most of the people who worked on:

Expeditions: Conquistador
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Rome

There was a feud between the owners, of the studio who developed the games I mention. One of them took control of the company and anted to focus on NFTs. This studio (Campfire Cabal) was formed, because they wanted to continue to develop traditional rpgs, with no NFT bullshit.

Read their FAQ. it's a shame we won't get another Expeditions game.
https://campfirecabal.com/frequently-asked-questions/

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Haha you'd never say that if you knew my in person ;) I'm actually one who often cares about my colleagues too much and have gotten in trouble in the past for speaking up for them... But that's not a "qualification" I'd ever put in my resume.

Alright, then I apologize. But IMO caring about your employees is one of the most important qualities anyone in a management position can have. Happy employees are good employees.

Wildebeest

Interestingly. For being the original and one of the larger, they actually have some of the lowest goodwill (basically a quantified measurement of a company's reputation) among the various Embracer groups. Note though that this was before the after mentioned 2B dollar deal fell apart. Also Saber has by far the highest for some reason.

Igivpwp.png
So you are saying "goodwill" is a euphemistic term used to decide which company needs closures and mass layoffs?

yurinka

Reading more from the link, I'll be surprised if we'll get a sequel to Deus Ex. (Think they hinted at it)
All the buying they've been doing in recent times was based on them getting some huge investment. That feel through, so this feels like the first of a number of closures etc. Big shame.
They will make Deus EX games. There was a failed big investment causing them big loses so they had to cut the fat, shutting down a few projects and teams with less potential.

Deus EX or Tomb Raider are some of the best IPs that Embracer has, so make sure they'll put extra effort on them. Obviously they won't kill their cash cows with the biggest potential.

Last edited:
Top Bottom