• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk buys Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
They did figure one out and the United Nations explained how they would use the 6 Billion towards the effort.

Elon never responded as far as I know.

There's a difference between use 6 billion as "an effort to end world hunger" vs 6 billion to "end world hunger".

6 billion will feed 1 meal a day for 1 year, no where close to "ending world hunger", and that's just an estimate.

He later donated 5.7 billions to some other organizations: https://fortune.com/2022/02/15/elon-musk-5-7-billion-donation-weeks-after-asking-un-world-hunger/

If you donate money, you have to right to know how the money is used, why would a non-profit scared of opening their books for a 6 billion dollars donation?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I can't imagine that Elon is going to allow unfiltered free speech on Twitter. I'm sure people would still get banned for being racist or homophobic etc.

Ionian

There's a difference between use 6 billion as "an effort to end world hunger" vs 6 billion to "end world hunger".

6 billion will feed 1 meal a day for 1 year, no where close to "ending world hunger", and that's just an estimate.

He later donated 5.7 billions to some other organizations: https://fortune.com/2022/02/15/elon-musk-5-7-billion-donation-weeks-after-asking-un-world-hunger/

If you donate money, you have to right to know how the money is used, why would a non-profit scared of opening their books for a 6 billion dollars donation?

Remember this?

Fuck Bob Geldoff, Africa pissed the money away. Squandered. Scumbags at the time. I remember watching it live, was massive. The concert is incredible.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yup.

What will happen is that the right will be delighted about this buy out... for a few weeks, until Elon tweets something derogatory about Trump or pro-lifers, or something else that's a hot button topic for them. Meantime, the left will be having collective apoplexy about the fact he doesn't agree with their fatuous and scientifically inaccurate ideology when it comes to sex and gender.

Both camps of fuckheads will then either abort Twitter, or will continue to piss and moan in their silos... while the rest of us enjoy a Twitter that is more geared towards maintaining balance, and an adherence to the centre.

Yep. I'm enjoying the meltdowns and the memes but if people think the doors will swing wide open to start spamming twitter with "the vaccine is turning frogs gay" or "the election billboard was stolen" they're wrong. Twitter will swing back mainstream and no further.

Tams

Of course the shareholders gave in. Who in their sane mind (which they are, unlike many if the users) would turn down such an offer, for a company that simply isn't profitable? Not to mention grossly overvalued. I would.

I don't know why Elon wants to waste this much on the cesspit. Not that I care much for him as he's hardly suffering and a bit of a cunt.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Of course the shareholders gave in. Who in their sane mind (which they are, unlike many if the users) would turn down such an offer, for a company that simply isn't profitable? Not to mention grossly overvalued. I would.

I don't know why Elon wants to waste this much on the cesspit. Not that I care much for him as he's hardly suffering and a bit of a cunt.
Uh you do know that Twitter makes a fucking shitload of money from advertisers and the selling of data right? Overvalued? Yeah sure I could see that argument given what Musk paid, but not profitable? What?

Do you have access to some financials that the world hasn't seen?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Uh you do know that Twitter makes a fucking shitload of money from advertisers and the selling of data right? Overvalued? Yeah sure I could see that argument given what Musk paid, but not profitable? What?

Twitter isn't profitable. It made a profit in 2018 and 2019 and I think that's it.

Nobody_Important

Twitter isn't profitable. It made a profit in 2018 and 2019 and I think that's it.
Wait. That is the first I am hearing that. So Musk just drastically overpaid for a social media site that is not regularly profitable, but not only that he is also likely going to drive it into the ground if he implements his version of "free speech"?

Oh this might be actually pretty fun to watch then lol

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Heheheh

F0o32qz.jpg
I find it bizarre we’ve gotten to the point where a single man is being blamed for not solving world hunger when the stated price tag (6 billion) is a drop in the bucket compared to the multiple trillions the various govts. of the world spend in general.

Musk also paid 11billion in taxes recently, so if the 6 billion number is true, take it from there and use the 5 billion left over to buy clothes or something.

Again the numbers here on a grand scale are so small it’s absurd people are buying into getting mad at Musk. How stupid can a person be?

Last edited:

Tams

The company's net loss narrowed significantly to $221.4 million from $1.1 billion in the previous year.

They do bring in a lot of money. They spend a shit load more.

I reckon Elon could turn it around, as, at least recently, the losses have been low enough to be covered by scraping some benefits, getting people to actually work (rather than play table tennis), and maybe moving offices to somewhere cheaper.

I'm struggling to believe that you didn't know Twitter has been losing money almost every year if its existence.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The company's net loss narrowed significantly to $221.4 million from $1.1 billion in the previous year.

I reckon Elon could turn it around, as, at least recently, the losses have been low enough to be covered by scraping some benefits, getting people to actually work (rather than play table tennis), and maybe moving offices to somewhere cheaper.
Could probably lay off a few hundred or thousand engineers and get that cost down quickly. Engineers are probably averaging 500k a head and it’s only going up.

Nobody_Important

No I just saw that. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Now I get to watch him lose a shitload of money after he implements the changes that he allegedly supports.

Honest to god this just went from a nightmare to a popcorn flick. This is gonna be a fun year or so I think. Maybe even shorter than that if he really wants to be stupid about it.

Thank you! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Konnor

Wait. That is the first I am hearing that. So Musk just drastically overpaid for a social media site that is not regularly profitable, but not only that he is also likely going to drive it into the ground if he implements his version of "free speech"?

Oh this might be actually pretty fun to watch then lol

Denial
Anger
Bargaining <------------ You are here
Depression
Acceptance

But seriously, Elon isn't buying this dumpster fire for the profits, he's buying it for control and influence. That's why scum like Vanguard and Blackrock had stocks in it too.

FunkMiller

But seriously, Elon isn't buying this dumpster fire for the profits, he's buying it for control and influence. That's why scum like Vanguard and Blackrock had stocks in it too.

Hmmm.

Not so sure.

You don't become the richest person on the planet without knowing there's a profitable angle to the thing you're buying/creating. Elon enjoys shitposting and being the centre of the conversation, but I very much doubt he's dropping 44 billion on something that he can't see the profit in once he makes a few changes. Let's not forget how unprofitable Twitter has been in an ocean of social media platforms that are raking in the money. There's money to be had from it.

Last edited:

Ionian

round, as, at least recently, the losses have been low enough to be covered by scraping some benefits, getting people to actually work (rather than play table tennis), and maybe moving offices to somewhere cheaper.

I'm struggling to believe that you didn't know Twitter has been losing money almost every year if its existence.

Always stay in the red, also always be closing. He must be doing that, makes sense to offset his profits.

Had a GF that worked for Twitter, made huge money on a basic salary and commission. The basic salary was small, went on then to work for Facebook, huge money again. They cold-call companies, you may have a lead but it's mostly snagging a client from the internet. HQ in Europe is in Ireland.

The commissions are huge. I was jealous, it's crazy money. And I have a damn honours degree, haha. Then again I did sales and made huge money too, you burn out though over time. Constant stress. Management really is on your ass always. Why I started drinking! (They allowed it once you make them money). Oh and my job even supplied cocaine for closing day, you open a client, warm them and then close. I was fucked coming back to my home country.

Had a brilliant time though. Stressful jobs lead to silly things. Whores and cocaine is very real in sales.

I regret both.

Konnor

Could probably lay off a few hundred or thousand engineers and get that cost down quickly. Engineers are probably averaging 500k a head and it’s only going up.

Or he could lay off the entire "Trust and Safety Council" of overpaid gender studies nutjobs.

Hmmm.

Not so sure.

You don't become the richest person on the planet without knowing there's a profitable angle to the thing you're buying/creating. Elon enjoys shitposting and being the centre of the conversation, but I very much doubt he's dropping 44 billion on something that he can't see the profit in once he makes a few changes. Let's not forget how unprofitable Twitter has been in an ocean of social media platforms that are raking in the money. There's money to be had from it.

It'll make him a profit indirectly through the aforementioned control and influence.

FunkMiller

The commissions are huge. I was jealous, it's crazy money. And I have a damn honours degree, haha. Then again I did sales and made huge money too, you burn out though over time. Constant stress. Management really is on your ass always. Why I started drinking! (They allowed it once you make them money). Oh and my job even supplied cocaine for closing day, you open a client, warm them and then close. I was fucked coming back to my home country.

Had a brilliant time though. Stressful jobs lead to silly things. Whores and cocaine is very real in sales.

I regret both.

As someone who still spends an unhealthy amount of time in the pubs and clubs of London Soho, I can confirm a great deal of this. Everyone I’ve ever known in corporate sales is about two wraps away from a breakdown, and a perforated septum.

And Nush is right 🤣

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
As someone who still spends an unhealthy amount of time in the pubs and clubs of London Soho, I can confirm a great deal of this. Everyone I’ve ever known in corporate sales is about two wraps away from a breakdown, and a perforated septum.

And Nush is right 🤣
Wild Abandon?

And what's wrong with a septum.

Boss Mog

I can't imagine that Elon is going to allow unfiltered free speech on Twitter. I'm sure people would still get banned for being racist or homophobic etc.
Me neither, I think actual hate speech will be banned. What Musk will be able to do is clearly define actual hate speech which is what all these platforms purposely fail to do so they can pick and choose what is hate. The way I see it a statement like: "somebody with with XY chromosomes is and always will be a man" will no longer be considered hate speech, which no matter how you feel about that statement, isn't.

Whitecrow

Banned
Well I guess that this will serve as a purge.
The woke will flee and dind another woke cannon, normal people will stay.

I hope.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
No I just saw that. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Now I get to watch him lose a shitload of money after he implements the changes that he allegedly supports.

Honest to god this just went from a nightmare to a popcorn flick. This is gonna be a fun year or so I think. Maybe even shorter than that if he really wants to be stupid about it.

Thank you! :messenger_tears_of_joy:
"A nightmare" good God. Were you able to sleep last night? I imagine it was difficult for you. Intensely clutching your pearls.

Last edited:

Ionian

Oh great, another bigot in this forum refusing to accept a transracial person's true identity. I will have you know that mr. Martin Luther Cream is as black as he feels like.

Bigot? How?

Explain. Transracial? I hope you're joking. Maybe you are and I'm in idiot? He looks white, you can't deny that.

Michael Jackson made a song about it. (great one too). Killer guitar.

Banjo64

cumsessed

💯

I don’t use Twitter or care for Musk too much.

All I do know is that Jack Dorsey and the current incarnation of Twitter are enemies of the people.

RAÏSanÏa

Jack calling it a global consciousness was unexpected. It's similar to my thought of these services.
This purchase could be considered a step in that process.

An issue the last few years is with the disparity in education/development around the globe with the communicative reach. It seemed moderation helped to avoid the West being dragged down and held back to the 20th century while users in primitive nations advanced socially into the 21st and Western users removed their rose tinted glasses. As a global consciousness awakening, not quite self aware. (Now I want to see a scifi where a cabal try to create an AI to stop global consciousness or manipulate it using the internet inspired by this buy, Foundation's Edge and Total Recall.)
On an Western individual user level it seems to be time for more personal discernment. It's well timed. 2022 has been particularly educational with the failures of the covid protests and the Russian's war have helped accelerate identifying manipulative tactics on these services both at a domestic and international level. Even with how these are connected has been made aware to the average citizen.

On the matter of bots and trollfarms, after the war started the amount of hashtags trending about our government dropped significantly closer to a level of what would be expected. Should remain that way if the bots are eradicated.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

I think it’s because Elon knows first hand how the corruption of social media can hurt things like elections and they had first hand hurt his businesses.

While I would like to think that he is just a bored billionaire with a centered moral compass it’s more than likely tied straight to his battles with politicians and his goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom