• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon’s Twitter Carnival of Stupidity (No Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistake

I think I'll wait for another outlet to cover it I guess. The Quartering is heavily biased and specifically tailors his videos to fit around the stories he wants to tell.

He also hero worships Musk so him covering a competitor of Twitter also seems a bit fudgy.
I agree on his bias, but judging off the problems twitter had in the past with cp like lawsuits, and decentralized hosting on mastadon (which encourages this type of stuff,) it wouldn’t come as a surprise to me at all.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I agree on his bias, but judging off the problems twitter had in the past with cp like lawsuits, and decentralized hosting on mastadon (which encourages this type of stuff,) it wouldn’t come as a surprise to me at all.
Any decentralized platform can have a bad content issue like this. It's kind of part of the design. Same issue with crypto supporting gray and black markets. The great part about it is that it allows protected and free communication. The bad part about it is that it allows protected and free communication you may not want or like.

I'd recommend against this line of discussion. I think it got the last Twitter thread nuked as it devolved into free speech debates that turned political quickly.

I think I'll wait for another outlet to cover it I guess. The Quartering is heavily biased and specifically tailors his videos to fit around the stories he wants to tell.
Why ignore reporting because a specific you tuber talks about it? Ignore the you tuber and read the article itself. If their work seems valid and they explain their conclusions, that's what should matter, right?

Mistake

Any decentralized platform can have a bad content issue like this. It's kind of part of the design. Same issue with crypto supporting gray and black markets. The great part about it is that it allows protected and free communication. The bad part about it is that it allows protected and free communication you may not want or like.

I'd recommend against this line of discussion. I think it got the last Twitter thread nuked as it devolved into free speech debates that turned political quickly.
I only mention it as I’ve had some skeevy results with some decentralized applications I use. Had to tailor my searches afterwards to avoid that sick filth

People who try to make free speech political are right up there with people who try to make fitness and exercise political. You can be for or against freedom of speech coming from the left or the right. You can also dislike both major political parties, consider yourself independent, or not really follow politics at all and still have a strong opinion on freedom of speech.

I think part of no politics should include no making things political that aren't. It's needlessly divisive, and I would suggest it ultimately does more to empower the "us vs them" mentality that I would think a no politics rule is intended to help with.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Why ignore reporting because a specific you tuber talks about it? Ignore the you tuber and read the article itself. If their work seems valid and they explain their conclusions, that's what should matter, right?
No what matters is that the report is independently verified by reliable sources.

So I'm just going to wait. Been burned too many times at this point to make decisions or judgements based on a single source. Especially for something this serious.

Last edited:
No what matters is that the report is independently verified by reliable sources.

So I'm just going to wait. Been burned too many times at this point to make decisions or judgements based on a single source. Especially for something this serious.
Ah, I think we're somewhat talking about two different things then. When I said "If their work seems valid and they explain their conclusions" I was thinking along the lines of considering it to be a well reasoned argument, not that I'd fully accept it as true. Speaking generally here, as I didn't read the article.

Nobody_Important

Ah, I think we're somewhat talking about two different things then. When I said "If their work seems valid and they explain their conclusions" I was thinking along the lines of considering it to be a well reasoned argument, not that I'd fully accept it as true. Speaking generally here, as I didn't read the article.
Ah okay.

gothmog

Gold Member
I read the source even though the subject turns my stomach. The authors seem kinda obsessed with the subject. They paint the Japanese as a people obsessed with pedophilia. They point to a github issue/discussion where they talk about not wanting questionable content in caches and make weird generalizations about what that means.

My takeaway here is not what they are trying to push which is a narrative that Mastodon is filled with pedophiles, but that people looking to slander you will look at what social media platforms you are using and then use that to slander you.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
ahg7500ibt9a1.jpg

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'm trying to remember why everyone is jumping on the hate Elon bandwagon?

What exactly did he do that is so bad everyone wants him to fail now?

For me, his recent actions have been incredibly disappointing because I had thought that he was a competent and visionary businessman, who, despite having some faults, was generally pursuing worthwhile goals. However, it rather appears that he's actually a bit of a fool, who is addicted to social media, can't make good business decisions to save his life, and can't step back from mindless online political stupidity to get on with his actual job. All a bit Emperor's New Clothes, to be honest. I highly doubt the successes that have come from his companies in the past are actually down to him, if recent behaviour is anything to go by.

For me, his recent actions have been incredibly disappointing because I had thought that he was a competent and visionary businessman, who, despite having some faults, was generally pursuing worthwhile goals. However, it rather appears that he's actually a bit of a fool, who is addicted to social media, can't make good business decisions to save his life, and can't step back from mindless online political stupidity to get on with his actual job. All a bit Emperor's New Clothes, to be honest. I highly doubt the successes that have come from his companies in the past are actually down to him, if recent behaviour is anything to go by.

Yeah basically this.

Most importantly imo is that competition is coming after Tesla, and they have significant holes as a company now.

But these holes are not easy to fix, and will eat at their profit margins. And where's Elon? At twitter. Tesla needs a real CEO who will run Tesla like a real company. Elon isn't capable of that. They need one so bad.

akimbo009

Gold Member

Yup, basically this. And it's not new - but his high profile take over of Twitter which magnified his insanity definitely is driving more folks to realize what Elon's been up to. Originally enjoyed his vision, which was "Let's go to Mars, so we will need renewable energy and transport (Tesla), ability to dig tunnels for train systems (Boring), Satellites (Starlink), rockets (SpaceX), etc." - but dude has become a narcissist and really can't help but sniff his own farts while being a total moron when trying to operate these things - and Twitter is a huge derail.

Anyway - he recently made a change in Tesla to have Tom Zhu run the show (or way more of it): https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/03/tes...ighest-profile-executive-after-elon-musk.html -- and with Elon's buddy buddy with Xi keeps making decisions that really are questionable.

Anyway - he recently made a change in Tesla to have Tom Zhu run the show (or way more of it): https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/03/tes...ighest-profile-executive-after-elon-musk.html -- and with Elon's buddy buddy with Xi keeps making decisions that really are questionable.

Unfortunately this isn't what REALLY needs to be done. They literally need a real CEO (from the outside) and he's more like a COO. Tesla has best in class charging network, batteries, and can meet all kinds of demand, but Elon is not going to fix the faults. Very frustrating.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Unfortunately this isn't what REALLY needs to be done. They literally need a real CEO (from the outside) and he's more like a COO. Tesla has best in class charging network, batteries, and can meet all kinds of demand, but Elon is not going to fix the faults. Very frustrating.

I agree. But it's not that frustrating. I don't own a Tesla or their stock - nor would I. Musk has been a problem for a long time - the vision of the company is disjointed, it has delivery problems, it has quality problems, it has distribution problems, etc. GM, Ford, VW/Audi would all be kicked to the curb with the problems they have. As a land grab, it was interesting, but as you mentioned they need a real CEO who knows how to operate at scale. And their competitors do know how to build quality cars and battery technology/supply chain has caught up broadly - and in cars that are cheaper and have a proper sales/service desk.

Anyway - Musk won't solve these problems, Tesla's stock has cratered, and increasingly the market is souring on his leadership to get them out of the trouble they are finding themselves in. That's in-part, but not totally, due to his distraction/ownership of Twitter.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Sam Harris has half his podcast up on YouTube about it. Covers only like 30% of what Elon has done that is questionable. Sam gets political at the beginning so I won't link it but its a very fair summary. He was a friend of Elon even.

Nobody_Important

For me the straw that broke the camel's back was his comments on Ukraine. He has said some dumb shit and pushed some complete nonsense before and after his Ukraine takes, but that shit was vile.

His continued effort to push conspiracy theories is also not helping the matter.

Last edited:

Amiga

Update to the Twitter experience. It is getting better IMOO. Politics are not constantly shoved in my face 24/7. Reflecting the average masses more and not just the trends of the elites.

And the world didn't go crazy after all the canceled people came back. If anything the opposite side became less crazy.

Nobody_Important

Update to the Twitter experience. It is getting better IMOO. Politics are not constantly shoved in my face 24/7. Reflecting the average masses more and not just the trends of the elites.

And the world didn't go crazy after all the canceled people came back. If anything the opposite side became less crazy.
He unbanned a known PoS who is apparently human trafficker and a mentally unstable unapologetic fan of Hitler. Then proceeded to drive away advertisers and users alike while his other company also completely tanked in value. In an attempt to increase ad revenue they are relaxing the rules on ads so now the ads we get will also be worse. He also apparently plans to restrict future polls that dictate the direction of the site only to those who are dumb enough to pay for Twitter.

Not sure I would call that "better" tbh. But maybe that's just me.

Last edited:

Elon is a massive grifter. The Model Y is not a SUV.

Not familiar with it, but how is is not? What makes a vehicle officially an SUV? Are you suggesting that whoever made this chart lied? You might be right, but I'm not much of a car person, so I have no idea.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Not familiar with it, but how is is not? What makes a vehicle officially an SUV? Are you suggesting that whoever made this chart lied? You might be right, but I'm not much of a car person, so I have no idea.

Democrats expend political capital to get those funds. Elon has gotten more than his fair share of free government money. He was stupid to declare war on the people that funded him in government for decades.

HoodWinked

Elon is a massive grifter. The Model Y is not a SUV.

i dunno about that. it's actually borderline corruption in the way the current admin wrote up the qualifying specifications specifically to exclude tesla, they made the weight cut off right above the model Y standard. It's so close that the 7 seater variant qualifies for the SUV credit because the extra seats add weight to the car. The standard version doesn't qualify because they made the car weigh less... Literally punishing one car over another because it is more efficient.
Edit: apparently increasing ground clearance would help with other angles to qualify it as a SUV

187″ L x 76″ W x 64″ H
2022-tesla-model-y-1639687270.jpg

184″ L x 75″ W x 66″ H
2021-Audi-Q5-Plug-In-Hybrid-in-motion-2-1.jpg

181″ L x 73″ W x 65″ H
id4-promo.jpg

Last edited:
Democrats expend political capital to get those funds. Elon has gotten more than his fair share of free government money. He was stupid to declare war on the people that funded him in government for decades.
Oh, absolutely. I've always said environmental tax credits should be less about reducing pollution through encouraging the pubic to buy electric cars, and more about partisan revenge and punishing those who criticize you.

[edit] It seems the issue being discussed here might not be accurately presented (continue to read the thread), but I'm leaving this here anyway. For anyone who considered this to be true, who had the response of "ha! that's what he gets then!" I feel the above still summarizes my feelings on that mentality.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Oh, absolutely. I've always said environmental tax credits should be less about reducing pollution through encouraging the pubic to buy electric cars, and more about partisan revenge and punishing those who criticize you.
He has no one to blame but himself. He literally got a ton of government money from democrats only for decades. Why would any CEO with a brain suddenly turn openly partisan and push republican politicians, and conspiracy theories? Most CEOs just stay politically neutral. It hurts your business.

Im not shocked that they would skip a chance to give his company free money if possible. The ones who should be mad are Tesla investors. The guy is hurting his companies.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Whelp, looks like it was a good idea for twitter to ban links to this place

The real answer is more nuanced but the quartering is just protecting twitter by smearing competition using a standard scare.

Facts:

- Mastodon is open source which means anyone can set up an instance
- Mastodon instances have the choice to accept or block content from other instances
- Some time ago, a japanese instance was created, and afterwards it soon got overrun with hentai, including the creepier variety
- The mastodon servers run by westerners got wind up of it and blocked the japanese instance
- Over time other hentai instances were created
- Some allowed the creepier variety of hentai
- They got blocked by other instances
- Mastodon.social, Mastodon.online and other instances do not allow this content and block federation with servers that allow it, so no, it was not a good idea.

If you go to joinmastodon, the servers on that list generally speaking are blocking this kind of stuff and the MAU count available there only tallies the server listed. Twitter also has a problem with creepy content but now that Musk owns Twitter these types don't care anymore. The difference is that since twitter is centralized you are forced to share a server with creepy stuff while on masto because of the federation mechanics you are not.

Last edited:

It’s regulation that’s over a decade old, plus the specifics are very specific (cause you know government regulation has to be extremely and needlessly complex). Basically it doesn’t qualify because Elon didn’t make it qualify. They weren’t treated unfairly as perennial victims/grifters tend to lie to our faces about.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It’s regulation that’s over a decade old, plus the specifics are very specific (cause you know government regulation has to be extremely and needlessly complex). Basically it doesn’t qualify because Elon didn’t make it qualify. They weren’t treated unfairly as perennial victims/grifters tend to lie to our faces about.

I should have just assumed Elon was lying like usual. He got me again.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The real answer is more nuanced but the quartering is just protecting twitter by smearing competition using a standard scare.

Facts:

- Mastodon is open source which means anyone can set up an instance
- Mastodon instances have the choice to accept or block content from other instances
- Some time ago, a japanese instance was created, and afterwards it soon got overrun with hentai, including the creepier variety
- The mastodon servers run by westerners got wind up of it and blocked the japanese instance
- Over time other hentai instances were created
- Some allowed the creepier variety of hentai
- They got blocked by other instances
- Mastodon.social, Mastodon.online and other instances do not allow this content and block federation with servers that allow it, so no, it was not a good idea.

If you go to joinmastodon, the servers on that list generally speaking are blocking this kind of stuff and the MAU count available there only tallies the server listed. Twitter also has a problem with creepy content but now that Musk owns Twitter these types don't care anymore. The difference is that since twitter is centralized you are forced to share a server with creepy stuff while on masto because of the federation mechanics you are not.

That doesn't sound like social media, that seems like a loosely affiliated network of "safe-spaces". Basically its going to suffer badly from ideological compaction cycles that will result in an increasingly fragmented overall landscape as each sub-network selectively disengages and is disengaged from others.

And of course these more extreme communities won't be considered "separate" in media coverage, so long as they operate under the mastodon banner.

Toons

I dont hate him. But in the last few months hes dipped his toes into things he has no business speaking on and has essentially shown himself to be a charlatan and an internet troll who happens to be a billionaire.

Its made worse by the fact that in spite of his very public and obvious f ups, he has a swarm of dedicated acolytes who will venerate him as a God among men or an unprecedented genius.

Hes the modern day wizard if oz, smoke and mirrors, a big curtain full of memes and internet gotchas but behind it is an insecure guy with way too much money and time. Can't respect it.

It’s regulation that’s over a decade old, plus the specifics are very specific (cause you know government regulation has to be extremely and needlessly complex).
That makes sense. So the chart in the tweet I posted saying they were all SUVs wasn't accurate? I have to wonder if he could add more weight as that one guy suggested, then.

RAÏSanÏa

It would seem those that Musk villainizes in his hallucinatory fantasy to save the world from suicide are the ones that buy and promote his products. They may see the money they gave his as a threat to themselves and want it gone from him. They may take advantage of moments of celebration. It's not a bandwagon, there's no piper, it's more of shared cathartic experience.

He wasn't on my radar other than the usual industrialist until last year when he gave money to the antivaxxer protests in my country. That was the first sign he appeared to be losing control of his mind and that he was on the way to losing his fortune. Since then he's been making one bad decision after another from the same mindset and rationalizations.

when he gave money to the antivaxxer protests in my country.
Antivaxxer or anti mandate? Just trying to clarify, as this is the first I've heard of it.

[edit] And after an answer either way, I'll just leave it there. If I want to discuss the subject beyond that, I'll use the Covid topic.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Social media platform Twitter appears to be suffering some kind of outage across Australia with thousands reporting the platform is slow or not responding at all.

Down Detector, an Australian website that tracks website outages, has had more than 1000 reports on Wednesday morning.

Twitter users have reported that the problem is occurring on both the website and app, split almost evenly across them.

The outage was first reported on Down Detector just past 7am AEDT and appears to still be ongoing.

It’s unclear what is behind the sudden outage in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom