• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree Story Trailer

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Just played through Elden Ring again, did all I wanted to, and stopped at the entry to Radagon/Elden Beast to be ready for the DLC.

Hoping my uncapped frame rate, DLSS, and Reshade mods don't bork my save file!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Messmer has a Vlad the Impaler look to him. I bet he’s the Malenia of the DLC. He’s the figure for the CE and he’s on the cover.

My guess is he’s going to turn lots of people into kebabs.
Maria from Old Hunter DLC was also on the cover but she wasn't the final boss, I'm curious who's going to be final boss for Shadow of Erdtree expansion.

Antwix

Trailer was dope. Can't wait to get back into it (even though I just did another playthrough like last month)

I hope Melina is in it. Barely even touched on her as a character in the base game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Maria from Old Hunter DLC was also on the cover but she wasn't the final boss, I'm curious who's going to be final boss for Shadow of Erdtree expansion.
good eye. 👀

She was also easier than most bosses in that DLC since you could stun her pretty easy. Either way, it’s going to be awesome to see how it’s all been put together.

Švejk

Geez .. still playing Dragon's Dogma 2, and haven't gotten to Rebirth yet .. And Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 coming this year too.
Fuck me these open world games will be the death of me. This year is simply ballistic with releases.

If you mean “cinematic” story then already kind did that with Sekiro.
Cinematic is an option but I was actually thinking of meaningful dialogue options that change the trajectory of your character’s story.

Combining the best of series like Baldur’s Gate, Kotor, or Mass Effect with the gameplay and level design of a Fromsoft game to create a masterpiece that would go above and beyond their limits.

Danjin44

Cinematic is an option but I was actually thinking of meaningful dialogue options that change the trajectory of your character’s story.

Combining the best of series like Baldur’s Gate, Kotor, or Mass Effect with the gameplay and level design of a Fromsoft game to create a masterpiece that would go above and beyond their limits.
I personally not fan of those games or most WRPGs, I dont want FROM to be like them.

I personally not fan of those games or most WRPGs, I dont want FROM to be like them.
My suggestion was more of a combination of teams. However, if From ever tried to do a more narrative-based adventure themselves one day, I’m sure they would do it in their own unique way.

Even Deracine was different compared other games in it’s genre.

Danjin44

My suggestion was more of a combination of teams. However, if From ever tried to do a more narrative-based adventure themselves one day, I’m sure they would do it in their own unique way.

Even Deracine was different compared other games in it’s genre.
I dont mind see them do more character centric story telling like Sekiro and Armored Core VI.

I dont mind see them do more character centric story telling like Sekiro and Armored Core VI.
That would be nice too. I just don’t want the team to be boxed into a corner of making souls games/soulslike action titles for the rest of their lives. By now they have the skills, knowledge, ability, publishing power, and money to do whatever they dream of.

I support the idea of a Fromsoft first person shooter, a Fromsoft platformer, a Fromsoft fighting game, a Fromsoft racing game, etc.

Danjin44

That would be nice too. I just don’t want the team to be boxed into a corner of making souls games/soulslike action titles for the rest of their lives. By now they have the skills, knowledge, ability, publishing power, and money to do whatever they dream of.

I support the idea of a Fromsoft first person shooter, a Fromsoft platformer, a Fromsoft fighting game, a Fromsoft racing game, etc.
tumblr_inline_nojxdjgyfA1sum6ma_500.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Another 20 years of Souls games >>> Eldritch Team Racing and Cinder Bowl

Danjin44

After Armored Core 6, the fact that you wouldn’t want to see what crazy/out there ideas modern day Fromsoft would come up with in the FPS genre is wild to me. They could literally flip the genre on it’s head.
I'm just not in to FPS games, it reason why I dont like RE7 and 8. Armored Core is a series I always liked even back in PS1, PS2 and PS3 days.

Last edited:
in 3rd person I would.....FROM makes amazing character animations, it would be so dull playing in first person.
After all of the first person games we’ve seen with unique animations, including the Metroid Prime series, you don’t feel they could pull off amazing animations in first person?

Danjin44

After all of the first person games we’ve seen with unique animations, including the Metroid Prime series, you don’t feel they could pull off amazing animations in first person?
I never found first person games exciting compare 3rd person game in my opinion....I'm just not in to it.

I want to see the character I'm controlling and see great animation, in first person it just not all that satisfying.

Last edited:
I would stay that Elden Ring is the most lore friendly of ALL souls games, its not that much hidden.
Yeah I'd say so too, the first cutscene in the game gives you plenty to work with and the NPCs do a reasonably good job of explaining things, it's up to the player if they want to engage in any of it.

Hudo

I never found first person games exciting compare 3rd person game in my opinion....I'm just not in to it.

I want to see the character I'm controlling and see great animation, in first person it just not all that satisfying.
Have you ever tried Dark Messiah of Might & Magic? It has still the best-feeling first-person combat ever.

EruditeHobo

Yeah I'd say so too, the first cutscene in the game gives you plenty to work with and the NPCs do a reasonably good job of explaining things, it's up to the player if they want to engage in any of it.

I didn't say that, that's not a quote from me. But while we're on the topic...

This being my first completed From game, I don't have an issue with the somewhat esoteric "storytelling" style. I think it's cool to seek out characters, have to work to continue their questlines, and to learn almost everything from the item descriptions and NPC conversations. I'm into all that.

Where I do have a huge issue is with the endings. What is the point of those endings? I don't understand at all... in what way do they manifest as "different"? There's a single line at the end differentiating most of them, and then a different colored skybox? I mean... talk about disappointing.

I think the most charitable I can be is to say there were 2 vaguely interesting endings out of 6. That is absolutely horrible IMO.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I didn't say that, that's not a quote from me. But while we're on the topic...

This being my first completed From game, I don't have an issue with the somewhat esoteric "storytelling" style. I think it's cool to seek out characters, have to work to continue their questlines, and to learn almost everything from the item descriptions and NPC conversations. I'm into all that.

Where I do have a huge issue is with the endings. What is the point of those endings? I don't understand at all... in what way do they manifest as "different"? There's a single line at the end differentiating most of them, and then a different colored skybox? I mean... talk about disappointing.

I think the most charitable I can be is to say there were 2 vaguely interesting endings out of 6. That is absolutely horrible IMO.
They are essentially 3 main endings.. Age of star, Frenzy and Elden lord which lines up wth most FROM previous games, other ones are just variation of Elden Lord ending.

And you only get trophy for 3 main ending.

What game is this from?
Its from Shadow of Erdtree DLC trailer.

Last edited:

Valonquar

mmm GIF

Think I might blast through the game once again in prep. From has a habit of releasing DLC so far out after main game that I've forgotten everything by the time it drops.

I would stay that Elden Ring is the most lore friendly of ALL souls games, its not that much hidden.

Demons Souls is probably the easiest to understand, but Elden Ring is the most obvious so I can see why people would say that.

I agree, Elden Ring main plot is not that hard to understand especially compare to Bloodborne.

Dark Souls lore has been the most difficult for me so far. Bloodborne's lore learning curve is high, but once you get a handle on the Great Ones and Chalice dungeons, it gets a lot easier. I love the structure of Bloodborne's world. I find the concepts and events much easier to follow than all of the names of the lords in Dark Souls. Elden Ring's biggest hurdle is trying to remember who is who - so many names are almost the same, but entirely different characters.

Top Bottom