• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree difficulty target "beyond accessibility to new players"

Bartski

Gold Member
hold on to your butts

KrvHTNA.jpg

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Two kinds of difficulties on FromSoft games, one good and the other bad. The bad one being associated with tedium such as running to the boss room after dying. The good one being about skill. They can crank the second up even more s far as I am concerned.
For sure! I'm also not a fan of super fast bosses that at the same time hit you hard with devastating attacks relentlessly, or which are almost impossible to dodge and kill you instantly.

Soodanim

Exactly! This DLC is aimed at people who already beat the with their complete build.
Supporting this is what I saw/read about how there's a new powering up mechanic which exists because there's such a range of levels people will hit the DLC with. I think more people will go into it over level 200 than ever before.

Sekiro was perfect in terms of difficulty.
Demon’s Souls is the only From Souls game with not only fair boss fights, but also creative/zelda-like boss fights. They made use of the multiple game mechanics and items as a callback to what the player learned throughout the game and each boss had it’s own secret way of taking them down faster.

In nearly every Souls game afterwards the majority of boss fights either involve one central mechanic(parry system) or constant dodge rolling until you find an opening for an attack.

Nothing wrong with either, but I expect the latter with this DLC.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Demon’s Souls is the only From Souls game with not only fair boss fights,
They are only fun to fight for the first time but once you know the solution there is not much fun in multiple playthroughs…..in my opinion they faaar too easy for my taste.

this maybe just might be my taste but I’m very much liking more aggressive bosses in later FROM games.

Last edited:

Krieger

Isn't this how DLCs are supposed to work? They are additional content you play AFTER beating the main game? Or is Monster Hunter Iceborne also unfair to new players, because you have to play through Monster Hunter World to reach the Iceborne content?

Hudo

The goddamn legend.

I believe this is for the first game, the vanilla release before even the hurricane packs and then Black.

The best thing about his entire team and him was that they DGAF about what the public, journos or even their publisher would think. A true savage among gamedevs. Lmao
Yeah, I miss him. Granted, his games had flaws. But I always felt, just like you said, that he did not give a single fuck about what the public said.

Regginator

I assume it'll be just as open-ended as Elden Ring instead of the usual, linear-ish world design in other Soulsborne games, right? If so, SotE will have the exact same balancing issues as the base game. Maybe to a lesser extent, because I don't think the playable areas in SotE will be as big, but still. Those balancing issues are an unfortunate but understandable trade-off in open-world games, but I hoped this expansion would be smaller in scope and tighter designed. Anyway, still exited. I don't think From has ever taken this long to release additional content for a game.

SCB3

Makes sense- At first, target the more seasoned players that will be no doubt buying the DLC

However the downside is people buying a complete edition being a bit screwed by getting potentially harder stuff at a time they won't be ready, think the Bloodborne DLC for example

Gojiira

Demon’s Souls is the only From Souls game with not only fair boss fights, but also creative/zelda-like boss fights. They made use of the multiple game mechanics and items as a callback to what the player learned throughout the game and each boss had it’s own secret way of taking them down faster.

In nearly every Souls game afterwards the majority of boss fights either involve one central mechanic(parry system) or constant dodge rolling until you find an opening for an attack.

Nothing wrong with either, but I expect the latter with this DLC.
Problem is Demons Souls bosses by comparison are too easy.
BUT thats only with hindsight and experience, people here will lie and pretend that back in 2006 Demons Souls wasnt tough as fuck and the fledgling community nowhere near as familiar as they are now.
Personally I quite like having a boss like the Dragon God where the fight itself is a puzzle more than a straight fight but then we have fights like Midir,Kalameet etc which are more rewarding to overcome so a balance of the two is fine IMO.
Though I agree with others in that Sekiro probably has the best,most fair boss fights, they use all the games mechanics and rely on your knowledge of those mechanics. Really wish From would bring back Sekiros parry system then we might just get a best of everything Soulsborne.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
So if you're already beat the game, this DLC would be only accessible from NG+ or by starting from scratch ?

killatopak

Problem is Demons Souls bosses by comparison are too easy.
BUT thats only with hindsight and experience, people here will lie and pretend that back in 2006 Demons Souls wasnt tough as fuck and the fledgling community nowhere near as familiar as they are now.
Personally I quite like having a boss like the Dragon God where the fight itself is a puzzle more than a straight fight but then we have fights like Midir,Kalameet etc which are more rewarding to overcome so a balance of the two is fine IMO.
Though I agree with others in that Sekiro probably has the best,most fair boss fights, they use all the games mechanics and rely on your knowledge of those mechanics. Really wish From would bring back Sekiros parry system then we might just get a best of everything Soulsborne.
2009 actually. It's true though. I think I stopped playing it when I couldn't defeat the boss in 2-2 or 3-2. I went back in 2010 and it was much easier with a fresher perspective and not being in a frustrated mood.

Demons Souls was definitely the hardest traditional game I had played until that point in the PS3/360 generation. Only thing harder were Touhou and DJ Max.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Yeah you enter the DLC after beating Mohg
Sure, but I've already beat Mogh and finished the game. I'm at the beginning of NG+ so I'll need to beat Mogh again, which is quite a trip from start... Good game guys but I'm not sure I'll have enough time/courage to relearn the game with enhanced difficulty.

Saber

Gold Member
Not a strange concept if true.

I mean, at this point there would be alot of overleved, high skilled characters with weapons at max, all armor sets and amulets. Why would go to towards new players if this is clearly not for them?

Lets assume my idea of level scaling is true. New players would still struggles with the game, no matter what.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Theres no way out of the bullshit help system they created ... it would have to be another game.

Or just up even more the already infinity stamina the bosses in this shitty souls game have.

Pejo

I hope this means unique encounters that make you think on your feet and adapt, prove mastery of mechanics, or come to the battle prepared with specific gimmicks and strategies in mind.

I hope this DOES NOT mean encouraging more low weight roll spam iframe horse shit while standing in a poison swamp that heals the enemy.

GermanZepp

Still haven't played ER.
Any idea how the PS5 version runs today?
I played Ps4 version on ps5 and runned smoothly. Idk today.

On topic:
Of all Fromsoftware games Elden ring has the most bullshit enemies that hit horribly hard and fast. (That's what she said) . So hopefully it has less of those.

M1987

I played Ps4 version on ps5 and runned smoothly. Idk today.

On topic:
Of all Fromsoftware games Elden ring has the most bullshit enemies that hit horribly hard and fast. (That's what she said) . So hopefully it has less of those.
It's Fromsoftware,the DLC will have bosses that are faster and hit a lot harder than the base game

Top Bottom