• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma on Zelda TotK: "We've no plans to release additional content, we feel that we've done all we can to create games in that world"

Tedditalk

No Mastermode atleast? Stupid.
Nintendo already confirmed that they are using a similar gameplay system going forward, so alot of the conjecture in here is pointless. I am not going to hold my breath for the 3rd open world zelda. I am moving on.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
No Mastermode atleast? Stupid.
Nintendo already confirmed that they are using a similar gameplay system going forward, so alot of the conjecture in here is pointless. I am not going to hold my breath for the 3rd open world zelda. I am moving on.
As you should, the next one would take at least 6 years.

Yeah but that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that resources that go to DLC are resources that are taken away from other game dev at Nintendo.
Guess I'd look at it like this: more content for what's probably considered one of if not the greatest game made by Nintendo is probably worth it even if it means pushing back their next game a bit.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Guess I'd look at it like this: more content for what's probably considered one of if not the greatest game made by Nintendo is probably worth it even if it means pushing back their next game a bit.
Business wise? prob not. Zelda right now is a 30m a piece franchise and a huge system seller, why put resources for a game on an old platform instead of moving those to a game on their next system which could speed dev more.

Shut0wen

Please never go back to thay hyrule ever again, totk is a great game but going back to that hyrule kinda ruined it for me, even worse that the combat was literally untouched, hope they never go back to hack slash either

Davey Cakes

The game is like, 300 hours long and fills all the "content holes" that were present in BotW. People were talking about DLC the second this game came out as if it was some obligation. So silly.

It's nice that the game is content-complete.

conpfreak

They want to move on. It's pretty much always like this with Zelda anyway. Every game is a bit of a reset unless they specifically make a follow up game, like Tears of the Kingdom or Majora's Mask was. I expect a new art style, new world, different scope, new gameplay loop, etc in the next entry. They have a great base to create something new and interesting that still leverages the 'open air' Zelda they have established.

Codes 208

Good, time to go back and make a classic 3D Zelda. Wind Waker 2 please.
Technically WW2 already exists
v8BS4br.jpg

I personally think this is the worst (non-cdi) zelda game ever, but for all intents and purposes it is a direct sequel to WW

Last edited:

Raven117

Take notes, From Software.

And I mean the right ones, not “open world for the sake of it and a jumping horse for good measure”.
Huh? I thought FromSoftware did a fantastic open world. Less interactivity that Zelda for sure, but more rewarding to explore with new items and weapons that could 100% fundamentally change the way you play.

The two games represent very different yet equally awesome takes on an open world.

Last edited:

DonF

I always remember an interview of miyamoto I think ...saying Zelda was inspired by exploring near his childhood home. Lakes, caves, forests, villages...
Botw and then TotK gave me that feeling so much.

I hope that the next Zelda is more of that, but less floating stuff. I liked the sense of on foot exploration botw presented... but the amount of stuff to do in TotK was superior.

Robb

Gold Member
I hope that the next Zelda is more of that, but less floating stuff.
I’d like the next one to be more grounded as well. I also want a more bustling Hyrule. No more ruins, give me a modern take on castle town from Twilight Princess etc.

Would also be fun to see a new take on the light/dark-world gimmick from ALttP with this new formula imo.

Rodolink

well they had to add 2 more world maps just to be able to deliver more content in totk. what they're gonna go next 4 new world maps? new dimensions?
I also think they should move on

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Translation: Breath of the Wild DLC performance didn't give us high Hope's for TotK DLC.

Virtually all games with DLCs are a complete package, it's just more content for people to enjoy. BotW's dlc also didn't hinder TotK either.
Nah. The beauty of Nintendo DLC is that it never feels like content taken out of the full game on purpose so you’re basically forced to buy it to get the complete package. The only exception is Smash Ultimate, but that fanbase deserves to be baited and milked for all it’s worth.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
TotK doesn’t need more content, but I selfishly want more content. I was really hoping for some DLC. Oh well.

K' Dash

“we've done all we can to create games in that world"

The future of Zelda is such an interesting topic.

It’s nice to have early confirmation that they won’t be reusing Hyrule for the next game.

Personally I’d like to see either a new top down Zelda like A Link Between Worlds with a traditional dungeon structure. Not sure if Grezzo are working on something.

If they are going with another 3D game to utilise their engine I’d love to see an original map like they did with Termina.

if they take 6 years again for the next Zelda to hit I'll be 45, damn...

Kataploom

Gold Member

“we've done all we can to create games in that world"

The future of Zelda is such an interesting topic.

It’s nice to have early confirmation that they won’t be reusing Hyrule for the next game.

Personally I’d like to see either a new top down Zelda like A Link Between Worlds with a traditional dungeon structure. Not sure if Grezzo are working on something.

If they are going with another 3D game to utilise their engine I’d love to see an original map like they did with Termina.
I think they need it too, I don't think Nintendo wants to leave Zelda brand lose mindshare by outputting a game every 5 or 6 years and then be done with it, they'll need those smaller releases ala Link's Awakening.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Zelda is in a precarious place right now. TotK was the epitome of *go big* everything and the kitchen sink design.
Do they step it up, risking becoming tedious? Or trim the "excesses" and get blasted for "cutting content"?

tr1p1ex

They basically charged for the DLC upfront given the large amount of content and the higher pricepoint.

Last edited:
Top Bottom