• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eidos Montreal founder: "I heard rumours that Sony said they're really interested in [acquiring] Square Enix Tokyo, but not the rest."

Spyxos

Gold Member
What have you played from Embracer?

Their only big AAA Studios prior to getting Crystal, Eidos and 4AG was Gearbox, who recently released Borderlands 3 and Tiny Tina.
Very AAA games.

With the Embracer war chest 4AG can double down on making something truly amazing.
Crystal and Eidos without japanese overlords setting unrealistic targets with limited budgets will let them really make what they want to make without that pressure.

They will still keep their smaller studios working obviously, but now that they have AAA talent they can spend on AAA quality games.

Hell Saber is bringing out Space Marine 2 and for a game that I was so sure was never gonna get a sequel seeing it back had me so happy Embracer exists and is willing to keep these studios funded.

I have played Darksiders 3, Darksiders Genesis, Wreckfest, Snowrunner, Destroy all Humans and Tiny Tina, but Tiny Tina is very ugly and cheaply made game. Borderlands 3 was without Embracer. And i saw a lot of footage from other games that they publish and everything looked cheap. We will get new Tomb Raider and Deus Ex games, but they will have 1/10 of the budget.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I have played Darksiders 3, Darksiders Genesis, Wreckfest, Snowrunner, Destroy all Humans and Tiny Tina, but Tiny Tina is very ugly and cheaply made game. Borderlands 3 was without Embracer. And i saw a lot of footage from other games that they publish and everything looked cheap. We will get new Tomb Raider and Deus Ex games, but they will have 1/10 of the budget.
Gunfire was acquired in 2019 Darksiders came out in 2018?

Anyway time will tell, Embracer are bigger/richer than Square and they now have AAA talent level studios so they can actually flex their muscle.
They arent suddenly gonna turn B studios into AAA studios, but having AAA studios means they can pay them what they deserve to make AAA games.

Who’s culture? Stephane sounds French AF. Do you see people calling Americans Mr. Smith?
It’s fetishism, pure and simple.
Japanese culture. He worked for Eidos while they were owned by SE. San was probably used by many at the company at the time. I work for a Japanese transportation company in America and many people still refer to the higher ups as san and some don't. Doesn't seem like a big deal imo.

Last edited:

EDMIX

They've been primarily on Switch

The very successful AA jrpgs have NOT been on PS. Octopath Traveler sold over one millions copies. That's a game made by SE and available on Switch and Xbox (NOT on PS!). What about Bravely Default 2?
lol

the goal post beings.

You named 2 fucking games after saying "they've been primarily on". So cherry picking 2 games and then ignoring that the best selling Square titles have been on PS is hilarious and fucking desperate. World Of Final Fantasy isn't anywhere near as good as either game and moved 900k on PS4, where you got this "have not been on PS" is beyond me. They have all those markets bud.

Thats not arguing a market doesn't exist on PS sir, thats simply saying Octopath and Bravely Default did well on Switch, not that a market doesn't exist on PS for JRPG's when that very same publisher moves more units overall on PS4, not on Switch. So telling me about 1 million units sold on Switch when PS4 has several 10 million jrpg sellers yet you are telling me such a market doesn't exist on PS is simply hilarious, like you don't fucking get basic math.

You sound triggered as fuck by that lol

They have all those markets bud, from big to small.

There is a reason Octopath didn't come to PS. Nor did Bravely Default 2.

Yea, its called a check by Nintendo.... I love how you cherry picked 2 games, ignored all the flops and then tried to argue those 2 games is a whole market, You can't make this shit up lol

Last edited:

drganon

lol

the goal post beings.

You named 2 fucking games after saying "they've been primarily on". So cherry picking 2 games and then ignoring that the best selling Square titles have been on PS is hilarious and fucking desperate. World Of Final Fantasy isn't anywhere near as good as either game and moved 900k on PS4, where you got this "have not been on PS" is beyond me. They have all those markets bud.

Thats not arguing a market doesn't exist on PS sir, thats simply saying Octopath and Bravely Default did well on Switch, not that a market doesn't exist on PS for JRPG's when that very same publisher moves more units overall on PS4, not on Switch. So telling me about 1 million units sold on Switch when PS4 has several 10 million jrpg sellers yet you are telling me such a market doesn't exist on PS is simply hilarious, like you don't fucking get basic math.

Yea, its called a check by Nintendo.... I love how you cherry picked 2 games, ignored all the flops and then tried to argue those 2 games is a whole market, You can't make this shit up lol
It's pretty similar to how he accused everyone else of having a meltdown while he was having one over God of war.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
And this is how those games disappear entirely. Happens every time.

"What if we take this niche genre that's barely profitable and massively increase the budget? Sure Jim Ryan will approve this and it will sell well for $70."

I somehow missed this reply.

Those Square Enix HD-2D games sell for 800k to over 1m copies, and keep selling at full price in perpetuity. Even if their budgets were doubled they'd still be profitable enough to keep creating. Bravely Default 2 is still $60 on Nintendo Shop and Steam over a year from release.

kuncol02

Banned
I will take REAL DeusEx with 1/10 of SE budget over whatever they released totally missing what made original one great.

TheTony316

Yikes! I really triggered something in you.

The very successful AA jrpgs have NOT been on PS. Octopath Traveler sold over one millions copies. That's a game made by SE and available on Switch and Xbox (NOT on PS!). What about Bravely Default 2? That also sold over one million copies and is not on PS. These very successful AA jrpgs have not been on PS. There's not a market for it there. Those games you mentioned on PS are years old and none of them did so well. I looked up sales. I Am Setsuna (also available on Switch) did poorly. Lost Sphere sold poorly too (and also available on Switch). Switch really is the go to console for these AA jrpgs, not PS. These games do not sell well on PS. There is a reason Octopath didn't come to PS. Nor did Bravely Default 2.

But it's all a moot point because Sony is not acquiring SE and these games will continue to be on Switch regardless. I'm sure a lot of them will be exclusive to Switch too.

Funny you saying this after your GoW meltdown.

Wildebeest

I don't see why Sony should care about them especially. The Japanese market is a write off for them due to mobile gaming. It all comes back to these huge NA studios being more of a financial risk than people want to consider.

DarthPutin

I don't see why Sony should care about them especially. The Japanese market is a write off for them due to mobile gaming. It all comes back to these huge NA studios being more of a financial risk than people want to consider.
Sony plans to go hard on mobile gaming, so it's a point in SEs favour.

Lognor

Banned
lol

the goal post beings.

Yikes! Calm down. I didn't say there wasn't a market for jrpgs on PS5. Clearly there is. But not for these lower end A or AA jrpgs like Bravely Default, Octopath, Triangle Strategy (if you want to include it), etc.

Disgaea 5, while being a late port to Switch outsold the PS4 version.

This is a quote from the NIS America president:

“We’re starting to do more on Nintendo Switch. SNK Heroines is not the only one. They support us in a good way. Compared to that, Sony is not friendly with small publishers like us. They just care about big Japanese companies. Also, if we simultaneously release a Switch version and a PS4 version of the same title, currently the sales trend is two to one. That means the Switch version sells twice as much as the PS4 version. Physically and digitally. A lot of PS4 titles are coming up, so the market is very competitive. Compared to that, the Switch market still has lots of room for publishers to make money.”

Nintendo has cultivated this market. Sony has not. Sony has focused on those AAA games. Nintendo has not (because they can't). That is why the Switch, not the PS4 or PS5, is THE place to play indies. The Switch gets so many exclusive deals on indies because that is where the market is. That includes these indie or A or AA jrpgs.

No need to take offense. The evidence is there. PS owners are much more likely to play a FFXV or Persona type of game than a Bravely Default game. There is no need to argue that PS is the best place to play every type of game. It isn't.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If square is smart they should get a good price.

They have 10 companies in Tokyo, a cgi one, a comic one,and others which I dont think make video games..

I bet sony will just want a couple of there studios., Probably worth a few $billion.

EDMIX

Yikes! Calm down. I didn't say there wasn't a market for jrpgs on PS5. Clearly there is. But not for these lower end A or AA jrpgs like Bravely Default, Octopath, Triangle Strategy (if you want to include it), etc.

Disgaea 5, while being a late port to Switch outsold the PS4 version.

This is a quote from the NIS America president:

Nintendo has cultivated this market. Sony has not. Sony has focused on those AAA games. Nintendo has not (because they can't). That is why the Switch, not the PS4 or PS5, is THE place to play indies. The Switch gets so many exclusive deals on indies because that is where the market is. That includes these indie or A or AA jrpgs.

No need to take offense. The evidence is there. PS owners are much more likely to play a FFXV or Persona type of game than a Bravely Default game. There is no need to argue that PS is the best place to play every type of game. It isn't.

I love how those 3 games are now an entire market lol

I'm not wasting my time with the rest of that buddy, they have all sorts of JRPGs on PS that have never been on Nintendo systems. This just sounds like some fanboy fanfiction shit trying to ignore all the records broken by JRPGs on PS desperately trying to ignore the best selling Monster Hunter game is on PlayStation, best selling Dragon Quest, best selling KH title is on PlayStation, best selling Persona is on PlayStation and the best selling Final Fantasy is on PlayStation, ohhhh but derrrr a game moved 1 million on Switch, I guess that jrpg market on PlayStation is gonez lol foh

added to that ignore. you fucking war too much bud.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned

I'm not wasting my time with the rest of that buddy, they have all sorts of JRPGs on PS that have never been on Nintendo systems. This just sounds like some fanboy fanfiction shit trying to ignore all the records broken by JRPGs on PS desperately trying to ignore the best selling Monster Hunter game is on PlayStation, best selling Dragon Quest, best selling KH title is on PlayStation, best selling Persona is on PlayStation and the best selling Final Fantasy is on PlayStation, ohhhh but derrrr a game moved 1 million on Switch, I guess that jrpg market on PlayStation is gonez lol foh

Your reading comprehension skills really stick! For at least the third time, I'm taking about lower budget jrpgs! Sony gamers prefer the spectacle of a AAA game.

Also, monster hunter world is NOT a jrpg. But monster hunter stories 2 is and for some reason you're refusing to admit, it's only on switch! Go figure!

So damn defensive about a clear fact. Live a live is the newest example. If you want these type of jrpgs just buy a Switch and stop complaining!

drganon

Your reading comprehension skills really stick! For at least the third time, I'm taking about lower budget jrpgs! Sony gamers prefer the spectacle of a AAA game.

Also, monster hunter world is NOT a jrpg. But monster hunter stories 2 is and for some reason you're refusing to admit, it's only on switch! Go figure!

So damn defensive about a clear fact. Live a live is the newest example. If you want these type of jrpgs just buy a Switch and stop complaining!
The only clear fact is that you're a fucking idiot.

bitbydeath

Seemingly debunked (so I won’t create a thread for it) but could still be smoke for what’s about to come.
Chinese site claims Sony bought SE China division.

trikster40

The only part of this that doesn’t make sense is the sale of the IPs. If I’m Sony, even if I don’t want those studios, I want those IPs, especially for the $150, $200m they went for.

I would have definitely made sure those didn’t go anywhere.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm in the minority, but I like Eidos part of SE than the Tokyo part. Its crazy that both MS and Sony missed out on that one. Embracer is good since it ensures (does it?) that Deus Ex and Tomb Raider will remain multiplat.

There is a sense of nostalgia for Sony here.

Square Enix was a big part of Sony's history in gaming. Final Fantasy 7 has been a pillar for the PlayStation.

While the company isn't the same as they've always been and the region isn't either, it does present an opportunity to seriously diversify their portfolio. They don't have a single RPG at the moment. MMORPGs are by nature live service games.

They also have a slew of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy remakes they could put on PlayStation platforms going forward.

The biggest thing holding Square Enix back right now is low budgets and risk aversion. Sony could really help them out there.

Wildebeest

There is a sense of nostalgia for Sony here.

Square Enix was a big part of Sony's history in gaming. Final Fantasy 7 has been a pillar for the PlayStation.
They were originally Nintendo specific developers. Final Fantasy 7 is only a landmark for Sony because they managed to snag Square from Nintendo because of the space on CD vs cartridge. There is no such practical reason for them being Sony exclusive today.

kiphalfton

As soon as those tomb raider reboot sales were considered disappointing we knew something was up, for sure.

Funny how they never complained publicly about the money spent through the final fantasy xv project and how disappointed they were with the final product when it originally released

They probably knew there was no way of spinning it so it didn't make them look bad too... so they just kept their mouths shut.

They were originally Nintendo specific developers. Final Fantasy 7 is only a landmark for Sony because they managed to snag Square from Nintendo because of the space on CD vs cartridge. There is no such practical reason for them being Sony exclusive today.

I'm well aware of their history.

There were other reasons why Square moved away from Nintendo which include Nintendo raking them over the coals when it came to licensing costs on the SNES.

As for practical reasons, they have a close tightly nit relationship. That being said, they aren't at all exclusive today.

channie

So funny that guy said he heard rumors.... that came from the darkest corners of internet and yet people believe he's an insider lmao

Airbus Jr

Banned
You all playing favorites but I'm actually getting fed up with all these acquisitions. Industry consolidation is good and all but I really don't want Square Games going the exclusive route like we are getting with Bethesda, but those are just my two cents.
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Sorry to crash your dreams but Tomb Raider, Gex, Crash’n Brun, Total Eclipse, The Horde, Blazing Dragons, Pandemonium, Kain make very little to no money. Why would Sony care when they have better known ip!

If Sony were to get Square Enix, they should make some serious changes. Square Enix has failled to deliver in quality, quantity and in time due to bad management. We had rushed early PS2 PS3 quality remakes and years late AAA games. Sony should not pay to get Square Enix, but Sony should get pay by Square Enix in order to help them to make their games ready at a given date, not 3 or 5 years later. Square Enix is such a mess, i am not shure it worth the pain for Sony. Good luck for any buyers!

Astral Dog

now now, dude actually has a good point, he's just not expressing himself clearly 🤭

this thread ignores the obvious with Sony, to really hit Nintendo instead of just buying Square, they should also be developing and advertising THEIR OWN big JRPG game, from their Japan Studio(lol) to show it alongside Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. Let's see how gamers react with a shiny new IP available only on PlayStation consoles, alongside Square's big hitters.
But what was the last original Japanese IP from Sony? Bloodborne? And its already dead.

Nintendo is not a threat for PlayStation RPG market as long as there is a big power gap, that is not gonna change. PlayStation has a massive audience.

Thing is, nobody(absolutely no one) is buying a Switch to play Kingdom Hearts, there's no big Kingdom Hearts/ Final Fantasy title associated with Switch 🤷🏻‍♂️ nada. All of those are already on PlayStation

its still selling Jrpgs because Nintendo is actually pushing their own brands and developing their own content,as well as advertising the smaller games for publishers, before, they relied on mighty Square Enix for their jrpgs, one day they basically said "Fuck it guys let's release our own RPG's! " since they knew Square was not going to play nice with them forever. So they been growning an audience that buys the Xenoblades, Fire Emblem(essentially a new IP since 2013 in the west), even Astral Chain, because they are offering quality and quantity.

all this is not without risk, everyone is aware Xenoblade and these brands are never going to get as big as Final Fantasy, but all these years Nintendo has been studying Square Enix games just to see what makes them work.

Nintendo have put the money and the hard work for years to cater to that audience.

EDMIX

now now, dude actually has a good point, he's just not expressing himself clearly 🤭

this thread ignores the obvious with Sony, to really hit Nintendo instead of just buying Square, they should also be developing and advertising THEIR OWN big JRPG game, from their Japan Studio(lol) to show it alongside Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. Let's see how gamers react with a shiny new IP available only on PlayStation consoles, alongside Square's big hitters.
But what was the last original Japanese IP from Sony? Bloodborne? And its already dead.

Nintendo is not a threat for PlayStation RPG market as long as there is a big power gap, that is not gonna change. PlayStation has a massive audience.

Thing is, nobody(absolutely no one) is buying a Switch to play Kingdom Hearts, there's no big Kingdom Hearts/ Final Fantasy title associated with Switch 🤷🏻‍♂️ nada. All of those are already on PlayStation

its still selling Jrpgs because Nintendo is actually pushing their own brands and developing their own content,as well as advertising the smaller games for publishers, before, they relied on mighty Square Enix for their jrpgs, one day they basically said "Fuck it guys let's release our own RPG's! " since they knew Square was not going to play nice with them forever. So they been growning an audience that buys the Xenoblades, Fire Emblem(essentially a new IP since 2013 in the west), even Astral Chain, because they are offering quality and quantity.

all this is not without risk, everyone is aware Xenoblade and these brands are never going to get as big as Final Fantasy, but all these years Nintendo has been studying Square Enix games just to see what makes them work.

Nintendo have put the money and the hard work for years to cater to that audience.

Solid points.

I do believe Sony should go with that purchase and buy Square as it would make sense if they want to do some portable in the future as Square has made solid titles for mobile.

In terms of Sony's own JRPGs, I believe they've relied deeply that KH, Tales, FF, DQ combo they got going on where its not on their agenda to focus on that with their first party, if its a market they already have a massive chunk of. I think those that like JRPGs already own both Nintendo and PS systems and I believe Sony doing something like a White Knight Chronicles 3 wouldn't do much.

I however agree that a new IP in that area could be massive for them, simply that its not needed to grow a base they already have a majority of anyway.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Solid points.

I do believe Sony should go with that purchase and buy Square as it would make sense if they want to do some portable in the future as Square has made solid titles for mobile.

In terms of Sony's own JRPGs, I believe they've relied deeply that KH, Tales, FF, DQ combo they got going on where its not on their agenda to focus on that with their first party, if its a market they already have a massive chunk of. I think those that like JRPGs already own both Nintendo and PS systems and I believe Sony doing something like a White Knight Chronicles 3 wouldn't do much.

I however agree that a new IP in that area could be massive for them, simply that its not needed to grow a base they already have a majority of anyway.
dat ff14 revenue for jimbo.

EDMIX

dat ff14 revenue for jimbo.

oh yea lol

I completely forgot about that whole series. A massive IP for Square, I'd assume they already have some MMO sequel lined up thats been in development for some time, at least conceptually.

Astral Dog

Solid points.

yeah its not needed, the two can coexist nicely. just not sure its obligatory for Sony to buy Square since they already have their full support and control of their biggest brands, paying millions just to cut off Switch/Xbox content is kinda lame unless they do a big managment shakeup, i don't see Sony improving Square Enix creatively tbh, and budget is not a problem with their projects. But time will tell 🤭

They would be better off buying square-enix IP's laying off everyone and then rehiring some people.

I paraphrase, (apart from Dragon Quest and FFXIV teams) Square-Enix IP's are worth more without the company than with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom